Gov Martinez vetoes bill that would help gay vets, signs straight-only version
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:47:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gov Martinez vetoes bill that would help gay vets, signs straight-only version
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gov Martinez vetoes bill that would help gay vets, signs straight-only version  (Read 3240 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:27:38 AM »

Salon article

The Senate and House both passed nearly identical bills that would expedite the issuing of occupational and professional licenses to New Mexico veterans. The only difference was that the Senate version of the bill contained an amendment that would also cover same-sex domestic partners as well. Gov Martinez pocket vetoed the Senate version and signed the House version. She issued this statement:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

... unless you're gay.

I'll keep the profanities to myself, but this is a very "mean spirited" woman and has exposed herself as not caring of all veterans, just some. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:38:03 AM »

F'ing amazing, particularly inasmuch as the extra cost for offering this assistance to homo warriors must have been pocket change. Is having gays in the military even controversial anymore?  That issue seems to have totally dropped off the radar screen. Maybe the socons are just too distracted by gay marriage at the moment.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »

This is honestly the first thing I've seen from Susana Martinez that I dislike, though truth be told, I haven't seen much from her.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:41:58 PM »

Asshole.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »

Unbelievable.

Can gay veterans that don't get the benefits sue?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 12:43:36 PM »

Considering that New Mexico doesn't even have civil unions, why should same-sex domestic partnerships be given benefits not available to unmarried opposite-sex domestic partnerships?  If New Mexico had some system in place for recognizing same-sex domestic partnerships, then I think they should be granted the same benefits as married couples. However, until New Mexico does have such a system, then creating an ad hoc measure that applies only to a small fraction of same-sex couples for only one program is not a good thing in my opinion.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2013, 12:51:59 PM by King »

Martinez has shown to be an economically moderate, socially conservative type in her governing.

She's likely to win re-election easily though.  The New Mexico Democratic Party is a mess.  The only half decent potential candidates are white, too, which is a bad matchup.

In 2018, there's a state Senator Tim Keller who I've met and find very impressive.  Presidential material with some luck.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 01:44:31 PM »

Martinez is often compared to Sarah Palin.  Such comparisons are disgusting.  People should stop making reckless equations of female politicians with whom they disagree with to an incompetent, idiotic, joke of a governor.  The Martinez-Palin comparison is a horrible insult.

To Sarah Palin.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »

Martinez is often compared to Sarah Palin.  Such comparisons are disgusting.  People should stop making reckless equations of female politicians with whom they disagree with to an incompetent, idiotic, joke of a governor.  The Martinez-Palin comparison is a horrible insult.

To Sarah Palin.

Holy overreaction.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 02:03:58 PM »

Huh. Maybe she is running for president.

Frankly I've never really been crazy about her, and this makes me think even less of her. I'm sure she'd devastated to have fallen out of my esteem, ha.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 02:15:17 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2013, 02:17:50 PM by King »

Martinez is often compared to Sarah Palin.  Such comparisons are disgusting.  People should stop making reckless equations of female politicians with whom they disagree with to an incompetent, idiotic, joke of a governor.  The Martinez-Palin comparison is a horrible insult.

To Sarah Palin.

Oh come on now.  Susana has some horrible social positions, but she's not that bad.  Palin was the biggest airhead in the history of national politics.  She barely made it out of undergrad in a world where even Gohmert and Bachmann could get law degrees.

As I said, politically she's more of a Dixiecrat than a real Republican.  In her RNC speech she even mentioned she's from a Democratic family.  She supports the Obamacare Medicaid expansion and has been pretty much signing every spending/economic proposal the NM Democratic legislature has sent to her, but is a Republican because of her social beliefs (anti-abortion, anti-SSM, anti-marijuana, anti-illegal immigrant).
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »

To Sarah Palin.

Holy overreaction.

He overreacts to everything. He's clearly 8.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 02:40:13 PM »

To Sarah Palin.

Holy overreaction.

Settle down.  It was a joke.  Nothing that needed your own holy overreaction.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »

To Sarah Palin.

Holy overreaction.

If that's the case, it wasn't very funny. More immature than anything else.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »

This is honestly the first thing I've seen from Susana Martinez that I dislike, though truth be told, I haven't seen much from her.

She also vetoed a minimum wage increase and said that raising it to $8.50 was a "political gimmick."

It's worth noting that Martinez is Governor of the state with the largest gap between the rich and the poor in the whole country. She's just another corporate stooge parading around as a moderate or populist on fiscal issues, something that she is obviously not.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »

Martinez said the bill didn't adequately define what would constitute a domestic partnership.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 03:09:03 PM »

I'm sorry mate, but your sense of humour is f[inks]ing pathetic.

And that's coming from me.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »

I'm sorry mate, but your sense of humour is f[inks]ing pathetic.

And that's coming from me.

If I use Hitler in a joke, that would be bad, but I think that Sarah Palin is a little more harmless.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 03:50:21 PM »

She probably lost any chance for 2016. By then, such actions will get her destroyed even among moderate republicans.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 04:05:30 PM »

She probably lost any chance for 2016. By then, such actions will get her destroyed even among moderate republicans.

Moderate Republicans don't vote in presidential primaries, Tony.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »

If I use Hitler in a joke, that would be bad, but I think that Sarah Palin is a little more harmless.

No, it's not that you "used" Sarah Palin per se, it's that you did entirely overreact, much like you have to just about everything you've posted about since joining

'round these parts it's called "excessive hyperbole"
Benj

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 04:28:13 PM »

Martinez said the bill didn't adequately define what would constitute a domestic partnership.

Yeah, that's a joke excuse. That's what state administrative agencies are for: making such decisions. Better to just discriminate, right?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 04:54:37 PM »

Moderate Republicans don't vote in presidential primaries, Tony.

And winning a primary doesn't guarantee winning in the general election.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »

Is she worried about roommates taking advantage of it, or...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »

Is she worried about roommates taking advantage of it, or...

As I pointed out, New Mexico has no legislation whatsoever relating to same-sex relationships.  At a bare minimum, if the state is going to offer benefits to veterans in same-sex relationships, it ought to have some sort of law applicable to everyone defining what it considers to be a same-sex relationship.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies