shouldn't liberals be for guns?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:29:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  shouldn't liberals be for guns?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: shouldn't liberals be for guns?  (Read 3844 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2005, 11:18:22 PM »

Something simple I've been pondering.  On the basic political spectrum, conservatives are for economic liberty, but want government involved in social matters.  Liberals want social liberty, but want the government involved in economic matter. 

Now owning firearms is right endowed by the Constitution.  It is also, what I would consider a social (or personal) liberty, since it is not an economic one.  So how come liberals pride themselves on government intrusion of this personal liberty, yet conservatives pride themselves on the protection of gun rights?

By the way, who wants to go drinking with me upon celebrating my 100th post?  I know, it would be funny if we got Antifa BRTD drunk and he admitted his true love for the suburbs, and we got opebo drunk and the next day he woke up in a church. 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 11:21:34 PM »

Go tell the tobacco companies what big supporters of personal freedom liberals are.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 11:22:07 PM »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm all for gun rights.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 11:23:19 PM »

So you oppose the assault weapons ban?
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 11:24:29 PM »

By the way, who wants to go drinking with me upon celebrating my 100th post?  I know, it would be funny if we got Antifa BRTD drunk and he admitted his true love for the suburbs, and we got opebo drunk and the next day he woke up in a church. 
Sounds like fun. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 11:26:14 PM »

I can't say I really know enough about the issue to say one way or another.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 11:27:41 PM »

Howard Dean had an A from the NRA
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 02:29:08 AM »

So how come liberals pride themselves on government intrusion of this personal liberty, yet conservatives pride themselves on the protection of gun rights?

They don't.

Bush has been more opposed to the rights of law-abiding gun owners than any President in history.

Singapore, which throws gun owners in jail, is always being praised by conservatives.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 03:56:40 PM »

Its nice to hear that. I get strange readings from Canadians on gun rights. One guy told me how much he favored gun control laws and then started telling me about some of his guns. Turns out that peckerwood has more guns than I do!
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 04:00:55 PM »

Overall, I support gun rights, but I think its little ridiculous for an average citizen to have a stock pile of AK's and AR-15's.

"I have got 20 some odd guns in the house. I like to hunt. I have grown up with guns all my life, but people who like assault weapons should join the United States Army, we have plenty of them." - General Wesley Clark.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 05:11:55 PM »

Populist3, How do you say George W Bush is the biggest gun control president we've had.  He is for gun control, but he got endoresed by the NRA.  Tell me about any gun control legislation he's passed.   I mean, I thought Clinton was the worst enemy of gun owners, being that hhe passed in 1993 both the Assault Weapons ban and the Brady Bill.  Again, not that I'm praising Bush or anything, but what exactly did he do to increase gun control?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 05:16:38 PM »

Overall, I support gun rights, but I think its little ridiculous for an average citizen to have a stock pile of AK's and AR-15's.

"I have got 20 some odd guns in the house. I like to hunt. I have grown up with guns all my life, but people who like assault weapons should join the United States Army, we have plenty of them." - General Wesley Clark.

That's pure demagoguery. In the united states, you can't get a real assault weapon that hasn't been registered before 1986, and you need tons of bureocracy to get a pre-1986 one. The semi.-autos, that are called assault weapons by gun grabers to make them sound scary, are actually not assault weapons at all. An assault weapon per definition is capable of firing more than one bullet per triger pull. There is no army in the world that uses semi-autos as their assault weapons.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 05:18:44 PM »

They're called assault weapons because they're the semi-auto version of them.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2005, 05:21:27 PM »

They're called assault weapons because they're the semi-auto version of them.
In order to scare people. Most people believe the semi-auto ban banned machine guns.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 10:35:29 PM »

Something simple I've been pondering.  On the basic political spectrum, conservatives are for economic liberty, but want government involved in social matters.  Liberals want social liberty, but want the government involved in economic matter. 

The saying that liberals want more social liberty and less economic liberty on every issue (and the reverse for conservatives) is oversimplistic.

It is true in general, but there are many exceptions. Guns and tobacco are the exceptions in the social realm, and in the economic realm, conservatives tend to favor more government in the areas of military spending, spending on NASA, and gambling and prostitution.
Cashcow

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2005, 10:41:24 PM »

I'm all for gun rights.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2005, 10:42:21 PM »

The saying that liberals want more social liberty and less economic liberty on every issue (and the reverse for conservatives) is oversimplistic.

It is true in general, but there are many exceptions. Guns and tobacco are the exceptions in the social realm, and in the economic realm, conservatives tend to favor more government in the areas of military spending, spending on NASA, and gambling and prostitution.

I agree with the sentiment of this statement, but:

1.military spending isn't exactly economic or social, I'd put it in a class of it's own.
2. Gambling and prostitution are opposed by conservatives for social reasons, in general, not economic, so it fits the stereotype. Liberals often oppose lotteries because they think it hurts the poor economically. There can be multiple reasons to oppose or favor something, not just social or economic.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2005, 10:49:42 PM »

I strongly support gun rights, but if a gun has no legitimate hunting, sporting, or self-defense purpose, it shouldn't be legal in my opinion. Obviously what is considered legitimate is up for debate in many cases, and I don't know enough about most models to say for sure whether those in the grey areas should be legal or not; I'd tend to err on the side of making them legal rather than illegal.

I see no problem, however, with reasonable waiting periods and background checks; these will only act as a deterrent against criminals and those who are buying a gun on an impulse, which obviously is a bad situation.

I also don't see why guns can't be registered; cars are, and that doesn't seem to cause a huge problem for most people. Of course, the use of new technologies should make such registration for cars and guns alike as easy and painless as possible so as to not terribly inconvenience anyone.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2005, 11:19:42 PM »

1.military spending isn't exactly economic or social, I'd put it in a class of it's own.
2. Gambling and prostitution are opposed by conservatives for social reasons, in general, not economic, so it fits the stereotype. Liberals often oppose lotteries because they think it hurts the poor economically. There can be multiple reasons to oppose or favor something, not just social or economic.

I would agree with your analysis, and would also add that guns and tobacco are opposed by liberals for public health reasons--which is consistent with liberals' belief in increased economic involvement in public health.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2005, 12:10:05 AM »

I would agree with your analysis, and would also add that guns and tobacco are opposed by liberals for public health reasons--which is consistent with liberals' belief in increased economic involvement in public health.

Likewise, Republican support of guns and tobacco is largely due to the fact that corporations have a vested interest in selling as many and as much of these as possible.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2005, 12:18:30 AM »

And corporations have a vested interest, then, in performing as many abortions as possible.

Republican support for guns and tobacco stems from the fact that we don't want some liberal, elitist assholes trying to live our lives for us.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2005, 12:28:41 AM »

Likewise, Republican support of guns and tobacco is largely due to the fact that corporations have a vested interest in selling as many and as much of these as possible.

Are you talking Republicans in general, or just the politicians? Because if you're talking all of them, you're dead wrong.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2005, 09:53:26 AM »

I was referring to the Party leaders; certainly not all Republicans. I should have made that more clear.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2005, 10:07:50 AM »

I strongly support gun rights, but if a gun has no legitimate hunting, sporting, or self-defense purpose, it shouldn't be legal in my opinion. Obviously what is considered legitimate is up for debate in many cases, and I don't know enough about most models to say for sure whether those in the grey areas should be legal or not; I'd tend to err on the side of making them legal rather than illegal.

I see no problem, however, with reasonable waiting periods and background checks; these will only act as a deterrent against criminals and those who are buying a gun on an impulse, which obviously is a bad situation.

I also don't see why guns can't be registered; cars are, and that doesn't seem to cause a huge problem for most people. Of course, the use of new technologies should make such registration for cars and guns alike as easy and painless as possible so as to not terribly inconvenience anyone.

I agree.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2005, 10:15:05 AM »

[

There is a difference between recognizing the rights of people to make their own choices regarding tobacco, and supporting tobacco, as you call it.

I am a non-smoker who hates smoking.  I don't allow it in my house or car.  I support laws that make it illegal to smoke in bars and restaurants, and other public places.

But we have breached a serious line in my opinion in going after tobacco companies.  Tobacco companies are selling a product that is legal, that people buy of their own free will.  I realize it's addictive, but so is caffeine and liquor, for some people.  Addictions can be broken if you want to break them.  This idea that tobacco companies "duped" people into smoking, thinking it was good for them, is something that hasn't taken place for 50 years.

Anybody who, in the last 40-50 years, continued to smoke because they thought it was good for them, or didn't think it caused them any harm, is a complete retard.  Everybody knows smoking is bad.  If you choose to smoke, it's your own fault, not that of the tobacco companies.

It's funny that there's been no similar assault on the liquor industry.  Maybe it's coming.  Or maybe it is a less attractive political target because a majority of people drink, while only a minority smoke.

I think that as long as tobacco is a legal business, it should be treated as such.  We can't have tobacco as a legal product, and then treat those who produce it as quasi-criminals.  In any case, I strongly disagree with the premise, which has also been tried with guns, that the manufacturers of a product are responsible for what those who buy the product do with it.  We need personal responsibility, not to make companies responsible for all our actions, just as some are trying to make McDonald's responsible for the fact that they're fat-azz messes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies