Tea Party Founder: It's Over
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 05:21:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tea Party Founder: It's Over
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tea Party Founder: It's Over  (Read 2880 times)
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2013, 09:57:23 AM »

http://thegrio.com/2013/04/09/tea-party-is-over-ex-activist-says-racism-hypocrisy-killed-the-movement/

There are a lot of good parts here.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 10:31:20 AM »

I see we've hit the fifth stage of grief, Mr. Teabagger
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »

It never began.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »

This. It was just the conservative movement flexing its muscles under a different name.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »

How many Tea Party Founders are there?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 01:00:51 PM »

Tea Party found is kind of an ambiguous term.  However, this guy said he was among the original 10 people who participated in the first tea party conference calls, so he appears to have been involved from the beginning.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »

Perceiving reality, even if slow to do so, is a beautiful thing, no? It's almost as inspiring as the prodigal son story in the Bible. Smiley
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »

This. It was just the conservative movement flexing its muscles under a different name.

This. Tea Party conservatism has always existed in America and has a long tradition that includes such luminaries as Joe McCarthy, John Bricked, Bob Taft, Ronnie Reagan, and other such reactionaries.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 02:03:58 PM »

Tea Party found is kind of an ambiguous term.  However, this guy said he was among the original 10 people who participated in the first tea party conference calls, so he appears to have been involved from the beginning.

Does this mean that a couple hundred years from now, people will snobbishly point out that they're a descendant of a participant in the inaugural Tea Party conference call? (In the way that people today consider it prestigious to have an ancestor who signed the Declaration of Independence?)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 02:06:20 PM »

Yep. I was back in school (getting my 2nd degree) when the Tea Party got started. I attended one meeting on campus and it was full of exactly the stuff he complains about in the article: the racism, the pro-Republican hypocrisy, the social conservative bigotry, the anti-science echoes of the Know-Nothings; it was all there right from the start.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 02:17:47 PM »

Does this mean that a couple hundred years from now, people will snobbishly point out that they're a descendant of a participant in the inaugural Tea Party conference call? (In the way that people today consider it prestigious to have an ancestor who signed the Declaration of Independence?)

I doubt that'll be anything to be proud of.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 02:30:25 PM »

Yep. I was back in school (getting my 2nd degree) when the Tea Party got started. I attended one meeting on campus and it was full of exactly the stuff he complains about in the article: the racism, the pro-Republican hypocrisy, the social conservative bigotry, the anti-science echoes of the Know-Nothings; it was all there right from the start.

That is why it is fading as an influence.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »

My local Tea Party is a branch of AIPAC; they want MORE government spending for foreign aid, but less for people who actually need it.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 02:48:58 PM »

Essentially this guy is just another Libertarian pissed that the GOP arent all Libertarians.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 02:55:56 PM »

A lot of Tea Partiers today would say they can't stand libertarians... it really shows (and I've said this for a while) that the movement now isn't what it started out to be.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 03:03:40 PM »

A lot of Tea Partiers today would say they can't stand libertarians... it really shows (and I've said this for a while) that the movement now isn't what it started out to be.
The Santorums, Gary Bauers, Alan Keyes, Bachmanns, Hanittys and Trumps of the world took it over from the libertarians (or better yet, the Ron Paul Republicans) who started it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 03:55:06 PM »

The Santorums, Gary Bauers, Alan Keyes, Bachmanns, Hanittys and Trumps of the world took it over from the libertarians (or better yet, the Ron Paul Republicans) who started it.

Was Alan Keyes relevant when the Tea Party was getting going?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »

'Tea Party' is kind of an amorphous term. Properly it refers to the protest movement against the healthcare law, 2009-2010, but it's come to be referred to various conservative upstart primary types, which existed both before and after the protests.

The last paragraph is senseless. A 51-47 defeat in an improving economy when you're somewhat outspent does not mean you have to change anything. (I mean, yes Republicans should change certain things, but not for that reason).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »

Was Alan Keyes relevant when the Tea Party was getting going?
He was arrested at Notre Dame in the first weeks of the Obama Presidency and spoke at a few rallies.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 05:02:34 PM »

I don't agree with the guy's views, but I've got to admire his consistency and his calling out of others' hypocrisy.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »

The questions he asks are completely valid and should anger liberals just as much as conservatives.  The fact is, Republican or Democrat, the war mongering and skirting of civil liberties is the same.  
Link
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »

This.

Early news reports from legitimate news organizations pointed all this stuff out.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 12:04:20 AM »

you mean "conservative" movement. as has been pointed out even by a lot of leftists by now on forum "conservatism" in the us doesn't really exist. it's more of a vague umbrella term for anyone that isn't a social democrat than an actual ideology.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 12:06:37 AM »

you mean "conservative" movement. as has been pointed out even by a lot of leftists by now on forum "conservatism" in the us doesn't really exist. it's more of a vague umbrella term for anyone that isn't a social democrat than an actual ideology.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 12:54:55 AM »

It is ironic that while you guys are legitimately pointing out flaws in the traditional definition of "conservatism", you do so by relying on a completely absurd definition of "social democracy".

But anyway, I agree with what you meant.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies