Is anyone else like this when hearing about elections in TV shows and movies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 07:28:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is anyone else like this when hearing about elections in TV shows and movies?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is anyone else like this when hearing about elections in TV shows and movies?  (Read 4272 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:25:31 AM »

Basically whenever I see a work where a fictional election takes place, I still wonder what the map would look like and think about how I want to see it. Like when I saw The Ides of March I was wondering what the primary map in Ohio would look like after the election. Recently on The Good Wife they had the primary election for Illinois Governor between her husband and that bitchy wealthy businesswoman and I was curious about how the map would look like and who won the downstate counties (probably Peter actually, she seems like her strength would be in Chicago suburbs.)

Of course it's probably better that we don't get to see the county maps in such cases since I bet they would be quite unrealistic. Writers probably aren't political geography nerds.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 03:32:03 PM »

I certainly do.  Ralph Reed's novels involve political geography too, and I was always curious about those. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:58:32 PM »

All the time.

I was really pissed off at Borgen for not giving out more details about the election results (not the map I was looking for, but just percentages and all - all we know is that both major parties did awfully and that the centrists rocked).
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »

Of course it's probably better that we don't get to see the county maps in such cases since I bet they would be quite unrealistic.

Kinda like the maps on "The West Wing." Yikes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »

Election maps in fiction are usually so comically bad and immersion-breaking that it's better they don't show anything.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »

Of course it's probably better that we don't get to see the county maps in such cases since I bet they would be quite unrealistic.

Kinda like the maps on "The West Wing." Yikes.
Those things still perplex me....

Bartlet/Hoynes vs Ritchie/Heston

Santos/McGarry vs Vinick/Sullivan
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »

Four elections would have taken place of the course of 24. To be honest, the match-ups aren't exactly certain.

The first election would have taken place between David Palmer and someone, but it's not clear who that person would've been. The name Harold Barnes comes up in some of the novels, so that's the best guess. We also know that Palmer went on to win around 60% of the electoral vote, so it was a strong showing.

President Harold Barnes (R)—142 Electoral Votes
Senator David Palmer (D)—396 Electoral Votes

It's also not exactly clear who would've run for the Democrats in this following election. Palmer had already participated in general election debates by the time he ultimately decided he wasn't going to run for re-election. It would've thrown the party into disarray and handed a victory to Keeler. I ended up guessing that Palmer's Vice President, Prescott, would've ended up being the nominee.

Senator John Keeler (R)—312 Electoral Votes
Vice President Alexander Prescott (D)—226 Electoral Votes

So, Keeler gets killed when Air Force One is shot down, Vice President Charles Logan becomes the president and eventually gets impeached, and then his vice president, Hal Gardner, ascends to the office—all in one term. Meanwhile, Wayne Palmer, the brother of former President David Palmer (who has since been murdered), decides to mount a bid for the presidency. All in all, I figure it's a recipe for a strong showing from the Democrats.

President Hal Gardner (R)—209 Electoral Votes
Mr. Wayne Palmer (D)—329 Electoral Votes

So Wayne Palmer ends up kicking the bucket too, which means Vice President Daniels ends up running as the incumbent against rising Republican star Allison Taylor. The general perception was that Daniels didn't really "want it enough," but from how the show makes things seem, it was a decently close election.

Senator Allison Taylor (R)—297 Electoral Votes
President Noah Daniels (D)—251 Electoral Votes
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 06:49:30 PM »

Election maps in fiction are usually so comically bad and immersion-breaking that it's better they don't show anything.

Kansas - SWING STATE
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 07:28:30 PM »

Us hating those West Wing maps must be similar to how people who work in some type of medical profession tend to hate House.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »

Us hating those West Wing maps must be similar to how people who work in some type of medical profession tend to hate House.

We should write Aaron Sorkin and complain.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies