The Confession Booth: Post something very personal about yourself
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 09:11:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Confession Booth: Post something very personal about yourself
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: The Confession Booth: Post something very personal about yourself  (Read 54935 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2013, 01:43:37 PM »

Facebook really makes it a lot easier to show that kind of artificial sympathy. I completely understand your reaction towards it.

Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »

I don't blame you for being angry, there a lot of people on Facebook who do nothing besides post superficial "oh I love you" sh**t, when in reality, they actually hate or dislike that person. Not saying these people hated or disliked her, because I don't know them, but I know there are a lot of people who just want to look like the compassionate hero, while not really caring about people.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »

Really nice post, Hagrid. The very name itself "Facebook" implies superficiality. I find it to be superficial across the board like that, and were it not for five or so people I would probably have nothing to do with it. A friend of a friend of a friend kind of person will friend me, someone I don't even know, and I don't approve them anymore. And I don't update with that silly "going to pick up the kids and put a roast in the oven" stuff.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #278 on: April 25, 2013, 04:28:53 PM »

I just checked and the statute of limitations isn't up yet, so you'll have to wait to hear mine. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »

Really nice post, Hagrid. The very name itself "Facebook" implies superficiality. I find it to be superficial across the board like that, and were it not for five or so people I would probably have nothing to do with it. A friend of a friend of a friend kind of person will friend me, someone I don't even know, and I don't approve them anymore. And I don't update with that silly "going to pick up the kids and put a roast in the oven" stuff.

I'm so proud of only having 30some friends. These people with hundreds, or even thousands of friends are so ridiculous.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #280 on: April 26, 2013, 06:47:32 AM »

I've accidentally killed a beautiful mermaid once. I was fishing and she went for a bite. Not really my fault, she should've know better, but I can't stop feeling guilty.

Before she died she told me her name, and it wasn't Ariel.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »

I've accidentally killed a beautiful mermaid once. I was fishing and she went for a bite. Not really my fault, she should've know better, but I can't stop feeling guilty.

Oh my god.

Was it?

Please say it wasn't Greg.

Oh my god

GO TO HELL
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »

I'm so proud of only having 30some friends. These people with hundreds, or even thousands of friends are so ridiculous.
Same here bro, I am proud to have 25. Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #283 on: April 26, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »

Facebook is part of life these days. It's hard to live without it, whether that's a good thing or not.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2013, 02:13:15 PM »

Oh my god.

Was it?

Please say it wasn't Greg.

Oh my god

GO TO HELL

Come on, bro, accidents happens.

Also, she turned into a very tasty fishburgers, so she did not die in vain.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #285 on: August 12, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »

I miss this thread. Many good laughs were had here. Let's resurrect it. I'll start things off.

I only actually like around 25% of the people here. It's mildly annoying to see so many polls on "opinion of [person X]" where everyone automatically says that they like the person. Of course, I'm sure that there are always a lot who dislike the person in question but are too embarrassed to say so.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #286 on: August 12, 2013, 09:15:08 PM »

I can kinda relate to the other side of that- I battle with chronically low self esteem so on some level I feel like most of the people who say they like me are just being nice, both here and irl
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #287 on: August 12, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »

Within the rules of the site, and some minimal level of decorum (some think I put the bar too low on that, bared hairy chests and all), I post everything personal about myself about anything (no doubt Grumps is sick of it, and Snowguy thinks I'm self absorbed). I'm an open book.  Why shouldn't I be? Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #288 on: August 12, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »

I can kinda relate to the other side of that- I battle with chronically low self esteem so on some level I feel like most of the people who say they like me are just being nice, both here and irl

Not good, and you have an inaccurate perception of yourself BK - very inaccurate in my opinion. I hold you in very high esteem, and I don't really do that with very many people. Please trust my judgment on this, and feel free to contact me anytime. I care about you.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #289 on: August 12, 2013, 10:34:32 PM »

As a fellow-sufferer of chronically low self-esteem, I think I understand your feelings, BK.  But one thing I have learned to do over the years, even in the midst of all my own unflagging self-doubt, is to trust people who say they really value me, and take them at their word.  They certainly don't have to say such things, they don't have to go out of their way to pretend, and generally do it out of real sincerity.  So, you and I haven't had any personal contact whatsoever, but I can tell from your posts on here that you're really brilliant, a fun guy to be around, and I enjoy reading everything you have to contribute on here.  No pretense in any of that.  I'm getting too old and transparent to pretend anymore anyway, so fwiw.  Cheers. 
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #290 on: August 12, 2013, 10:43:37 PM »

Another confession: some girl in preschool/daycare (back in Quebec) wanted to marry me when we'd be older. Also, when on vacation in Petra (Jordan), we met some Bedouin girl who also said that she wanted to marry me and offered my dad camels in exchange (jokingly, but still). Then I joined the forum and my life went downhill.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #291 on: August 12, 2013, 10:52:53 PM »

Yeah, I know that feeling. When you're feeling bad about yourself for some reason and people try to help with complements it often doesn't help, especially if it's something generic like "aww, you're not [ugly/pathetic/stupid/a failure/etc]". :/

fwiw, I know it's kinda ironic to say this right after I said complements often don't help, and also after I said I don't like that many people here, but you're one of my favorite people here (not in terms of like posting, but as a person) and one of only a couple I feel like I would get along with irl Purple heart
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #292 on: August 12, 2013, 11:14:57 PM »

I haven't made any contact with anyone from my school or any people my age in general at all this summer, besides sporadic texting with this one chick and few phone calls with my best friend. I also started drinking (not heavily and in a controlled manner), and writing really dark short stories.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #293 on: August 13, 2013, 03:39:14 AM »

I committed theft in a store at a theme park at the age of 10, taking revenge for a machine of said park that had taken my money without working afterwards. It's now foreordained... Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #294 on: August 13, 2013, 07:36:34 AM »

I only actually like around 25% of the people here. It's mildly annoying to see so many polls on "opinion of [person X]" where everyone automatically says that they like the person. Of course, I'm sure that there are always a lot who dislike the person in question but are too embarrassed to say so.

I generally have no problem saying it when I really dislike a poster (some of them can testify Tongue), and like BK I tend to be a bit concerned by what some people who compliment me might say/think of me privately. That said, I think I am a less harsh grader than you, since all in all I think I like 50-60% of the regulars here (ranging from actual admiration to "flawed, but still an OK guy" judgments).
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #295 on: August 13, 2013, 07:40:20 AM »

Not a bad thing at all, but I feel as though I'm finally starting to learn to live with my depression. It's been a long road and I'm really proud of myself for finding new ways to cope when I get sad instead of self harming.

BK, I know how you feel. Except I go through paranoid streaks where I (to this day) feel like all my friends hate me. My girlfriend hates me, my friends want to kill me, etc. But believe me, if there is one person who is actually a genuinely awesome person, it's you.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #296 on: August 13, 2013, 08:44:03 AM »

I committed theft in a store at a theme park at the age of 10, taking revenge for a machine of said park that had taken my money without working afterwards. It's now foreordained... Smiley

I 'stole' a few books from my old library in Riyadh, a few of which previously belonged to the US Army (my old compound used to be a US military housing compound) but nobody in the entire country probably cared about said books (military uniforms and memorabilia books, a tour guide on the USSR, a few old atlases from the 80s, two old historical atlases).

Re: i hope the US Army doesn't sue me for stealing property
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #297 on: August 13, 2013, 08:47:12 AM »

My corpus delicti was a deck of cards. I still have it.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2013, 06:53:13 PM »

I used to shower consistently every day, basically as long as I can remember. With general apathy and depression and stuff now, I'm finding it hard to have get up the motivation to do that, so now if I'm not going to see anyone I really care about that day I'll often skip showering and just do it every other day. Same thing with brushing teeth. Not a big deal in itself but I feel kinda sh!tty about it given what it reflects.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #299 on: August 17, 2013, 08:31:45 PM »

I was a member of the Earth expedition ship, the Icarus, which was dispatched on a research mission to Z'ha'dum late in 2256.  While on the expedition, we inadvertently awakened an ancient race known as the "Shadows", whereupon all of us on the expedition were either killed or made servants of the Shadows.  I pledged to serve the Shadows in any way they asked.

At the request of my associates, I recruited Centauri Ambassador Londo Mollari to entangle the Centauri in an alliance, helping them to make war on the Narn.  I am thus indirectly responsible for the conquest of the Narn Regime, the destruction of their homeworld, and the enslavement of their people.  The guilt for my actions weighs heavily on me, so I try to distract myself by posting on an internet messageboard about US politics.  Unfortunately, my other life has, on occasion, caught up with me here.  I brought my associates to the quarters of another Atlas moderator known as "The Vorlon" and, well, I've already given away far too many spoilers for those of you who haven't watched the reenactments of my adventures on TV, so I'll stop there.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Bygones.  No one's looking for revenge.

I mean, what would anyone do?  Place your severed head upon a pike as a warning unto the next ten generations that some bargains come at too high a price?  Pshaw.  What kind of person would do that?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies