Obama thinks Kamala Harris is kinda hot.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:24:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama thinks Kamala Harris is kinda hot.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Obama thinks Kamala Harris is kinda hot.  (Read 26604 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 07:15:01 PM »

Yeah, I think we can all agree that Beau Biden is objectively the most attractive AG, by far.

Also while I don't think the comments are that bad, the responses from this forum full of teenage white boys are predictable.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that preferring blondes over brunettes was juvenile.
I prefer brunettes, and I still think Bondi looks better. Harris is hot, but looks a little old.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 07:37:36 PM »

Meh, for AGs they're both attractive, but that's about it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 07:39:24 PM »

Obama has apologized to Kamala Harris for calling her the best looking Attorney General. 

So Obama capitulates to the demands of the media once more. And I was hoping we had a principled man leading this nation.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »

Obama has apologized to Kamala Harris for calling her the best looking Attorney General. 

So Obama capitulates to the demands of the media once more. And I was hoping we had a principled man leading this nation.

PRIMARY HIM!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 07:44:08 PM »

Fauxrage is old nowadays.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 07:45:56 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2013, 08:39:09 PM by SJoyce »

Florida wins.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 08:22:42 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He looks quite like his father.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »

Gavin Newsom is literally Will Arnett.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 08:35:11 PM »

For the President's sake, I hope Michelle isn't the jealous type.  Otherwise he could be in trouble.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »

Who the hell cares? It seems like, despite their hatred of "political correctness", the right sure loves to be PC when it's a Democrat having fun.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »

Bondi is objectively hotter. Plus the fact this has descended into a discussion about Pam Bondi is also a plus for her.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »

Wait wait Obama actually apologized? People demanded he apologized for saying something positive?

Ugh...
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 08:45:05 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2013, 08:49:37 PM by Thomas D »

Good Lord is Gavin Newsom hot.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »

Of course Obama is a sexist pig. Just look at those air-headed bimbos he appointed at State Department and the Supreme Court.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »

Seriously I have to ask how anyone could find this even the slightest bit remotely offensive. Has any movie critic ever apologize to an actress for writing about how hot she looked in a movie review for example?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 08:50:28 PM »

Wait wait Obama actually apologized? People demanded he apologized for saying something positive?

Ugh...

It doesn't matter if it's "positive".  It's not appropriate to compliment people on their looks in a professional context, when talking about them in front of a large audience.  (See "benevolent sexism".)

Note: I'm not saying that Obama is sexist, or that this rises to the level of something that should be apologized for.  Just that Obama made a mistake by saying it, and it was a dumb comment.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 08:59:25 PM »

Ugh...

It doesn't matter if it's "positive".  It's not appropriate to compliment people on their looks in a professional context, when talking about them in front of a large audience.  (See "benevolent sexism".)

Note: I'm not saying that Obama is sexist, or that this rises to the level of something that should be apologized for.  Just that Obama made a mistake by saying it, and it was a dumb comment.

So should some movie critic writing something along the lines of "Jennifer Lawrence looked so great in this movie" while writing about her Oscar winning performance in Silver Linings Playbook apologize to Jennifer Lawrence?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 09:04:04 PM »

I love that "Kamala Harris" is trending on Twitter; this is great that it's been getting her name out there.
Aliens
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 09:07:31 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2013, 09:13:34 PM by Invader »

He was just trying to be nice; unfortunately, PC people tend to be over-stressed.  And when are they going to change the plural to Attorney Generals, if ever?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 09:16:25 PM »

Brent Munsberger had to apologize for getting AJ McCarron's girlfriend into SI Swimsuit and a TV role.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »

Gavin Newsom is not hot, and never was hot.

Hot is Kate Ellis...

or Gretchen Whitmer

also Elizabeth Halseth

Gavin Newsom is not hot... John Thune on the other hand...

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »

Ugh...

So should some movie critic writing something along the lines of "Jennifer Lawrence looked so great in this movie" while writing about her Oscar winning performance in Silver Linings Playbook apologize to Jennifer Lawrence?

Again, I'm not saying that even the Obama case is something that should be apologized for.  Just that he shouldn't have said it in the first place.  Whether it's worth trying to clean it up after the fact is another matter.

With regard to your hypothetical, the norms within Hollywood are inevitably going to be somewhat different, because so many Hollywood actors/actresses are rather explicitly trading on their looks.  It also depends on the context within which a critic is writing the review.  If it's a random guy on a website that no one reads, the reviewer doesn't know Lawrence personally, and the chances of Lawrence herself ever reading the review are 0.001%, then the standards would be way more lax than if it's Roger Ebert.

But in general, yes, I could imagine some set of circumstances in which, even in Hollywood, something like this might not be kosher.  It depends on the context.  Certainly, in my field, if I was at a professional conference and was introducing a female speaker and complimented her looks while introducing her to a room full of hundreds of people, people would think it was inappropriate.  This case with Obama and Harris is perhaps one step removed from that, in that it's a fundraiser and so not part of Obama's "official" duties, but it's still essentially part of his job as a politician, so to speak.  So I think the same basic principle applies.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »

He was just trying to be nice; unfortunately, PC people tend to be over-stressed.  And when are they going to change the plural to Attorney Generals, if ever?

"Attorneys General" is the correct plural, since this is a rare case in the English language where the adjective comes after the noun, "passers-by" instead of "passer-bys" is another example.

Ugh...

Again, I'm not saying that even the Obama case is something that should be apologized for.  Just that he shouldn't have said it in the first place.  Whether it's worth trying to clean it up after the fact is another matter.

With regard to your hypothetical, the norms within Hollywood are inevitably going to be somewhat different, because so many Hollywood actors/actresses are rather explicitly trading on their looks.  It also depends on the context within which a critic is writing the review.  If it's a random guy on a website that no one reads, the reviewer doesn't know Lawrence personally, and the chances of Lawrence herself ever reading the review are 0.001%, then the standards would be way more lax than if it's Roger Ebert.

But in general, yes, I could imagine some set of circumstances in which, even in Hollywood, something like this might not be kosher.  It depends on the context.  Certainly, in my field, if I was at a professional conference and was introducing a female speaker and complimented her looks while introducing her to a room full of hundreds of people, people would think it was inappropriate.  This case with Obama and Harris is perhaps one step removed from that, in that it's a fundraiser and so not part of Obama's "official" duties, but it's still essentially part of his job as a politician, so to speak.  So I think the same basic principle applies.

Well of course no one cares what a guy who writes for "a website no one reads" will say. But look at what magazines like Maxim say about actresses. The AV Club is a pretty respected review site and they comment on actors and actresses' attractiveness all the time. How many publications could review Mad Men for five seasons and never once bring up Christina Hendricks' or Jon Hamm's looks?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2013, 10:26:05 PM »

Well of course no one cares what a guy who writes for "a website no one reads" will say. But look at what magazines like Maxim say about actresses. The AV Club is a pretty respected review site and they comment on actors and actresses' attractiveness all the time. How many publications could review Mad Men for five seasons and never once bring up Christina Hendricks' or Jon Hamm's looks?

Well, as I said, the norms in Hollywood are different because you have so many people explicitly trading on their looks.  I could still imagine some kind of scenario in which it's inappropriate to bring up a Hollywood actress's looks, though the set of circumstances would be far more rare than for other professions.

As I said, it depends on the context.  In this particular context, I don't think Obama bringing up Harris's looks was appropriate.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2013, 10:27:02 PM »

Dude, the President of the United States isn't Maxim magazine. What the hell are you talking about? And actresses are not politicians.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies