The Sweeping Wind
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:07:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Sweeping Wind
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Sweeping Wind  (Read 849 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »
« edited: April 05, 2013, 07:53:15 PM by Wisard Ekstraordinær Maxwell »

Ok...lahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.

It looks like we got a race on our hands...

Senator Inhofe announces run for re-election!

At 45/44 Approval, Inhofe reaches a damn near low in Oklahoma, after years and years of 50/60s Approval. With many talking about his age being an issue, nevertheless Senator Inhofe has decided to make a run for re-election. He leads all possible democrats, but is within single digits of three of them: Former Governor Brad Henry, Former Secretary of State and Tulsa Mayor Susan Savage, and Former Lieutenant Governor Jari Askins. He leads Henry (49-45) by 4 and is damn near 50, but against Savage (45-38), he only leads by 7 with more undecideds. He hits 50 against Askins (50-41), but it's shocking to see so many competitive against him when he is such a name in Oklahoma politics.

Savage in, announces exploratory committee for U.S. Senate

"Senator Inhofe has served Oklahoma for a long time, but now he is getting in the way of making our country into a better place, and I will stand against him as I run for the Senate!"

Henry and Askins out, noting personal/business reasons

Inhofe Approval:
Approve: 45%
Disapprove: 44%
Undecided: 11%

Savage Favorables:
Favorable: 37%
Unfavorable: 22%
Undecided: 41%

If the Senate election were today, who would you vote for...
Incumbent Senator James Inhofe (R): 45%
Former Secretary of State M. Susan Savage (D): 38%
Other: 2%
Undecided: 15%

Meanwhile, at the Governor's Mansion...

"I am announcing my campaign for re-election in 2014. Oklahoman have seen prosperity during this term of leadership, but our work is not done yet."

With Mary Fallin approvals sky high, it seems that Oklahoma Democrats are looking to avoid a run in with her. At 63-22 Approvals, the only democrats looking to run are non-entities... including teacher and former Senate candidate Jim Rogers, and former Independent candidate for U.S. Senate Sheila Bilyeu. Polls show that this race would be a cakewalk, though Bilyeu shows some surprisingly high numbers.

Do you approve of how Governor Fallin has done her job?
Approve: 63%
Disapprove: 22%
Not Sure: 15%

Who would you vote for Governor, in this situation:
Governor Mary Fallin (R): 72%
OSU Graduate Sheila Bilyeu (I): 12%
Teacher Jim Rogers (D): 6%
Undecided: 10%

Even smaller... Tulsa Mayoral election looking more and more like a battle royale

Tulsa Mayoral Poll:
Former Mayor Kathy Taylor (D): 36%
Mayor Dewey Bartlett (R): 33%
Former City Councilman Bill Christensen (R): 18%
Undecided: 13%

While Bartlett's approval ratings have been on an upward trend, his approvals are only up single digits in a state that tends to approve heavily of their politicians. Taylor's favorable's are extremely high, as she was up 30 points on the favor-ability scale before she decided to not run for re-election. With the election coming soon, the negativity of the campaign has been noted as being somewhat above what is normal for an Oklahoma election, though less than Sullivan's attempt to beat back an insurgent Jim Bridenstein in a Republican. The top two will go on to battle in a run-off if one doesn't get a majority, which is a very good thing for Mayor Bartlett, but he shouldn't count his stars yet.

Coming up... Congressional elections, Oklahoma City, the developing Senate campaign, ect.

*Yes, I'm borrowing Sjoyce's idea... and?*

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »

I smile upon this.

Also, we need Garth Brooks.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »

Approve!

I like how you include the Tulsa Mayoral race that is currently ongoing.  Very fascinating stuff going on here.

Though, I thought that Tulsa County was a majority registered Republican (entry seems to imply they are a minority)?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:52:24 PM »

Approve!

I like how you include the Tulsa Mayoral race that is currently ongoing.  Very fascinating stuff going on here.

Though, I thought that Tulsa County was a majority registered Republican (entry seems to imply they are a minority)?

Oh yeah, I think I was thinking old school Tulsa, apparently now its 50% Republican, 38% Democrat, 12% Independent.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »

Who's next?

After the fall of corrupted Congressman John Sullivan, many conservatives are wondering who will be next on the chopping block for a Tea Party challenge

Right now, many Tea Party conservatives are looking to primary one of two "less than stellar" conservative Republicans in the House. They are looking more at Tom Cole, who has stood against the party on revenue, but many say that Frank Lucas is a bit more vulernable. Cole is a man of the establishment, but the Republican Party of Oklahoma will back him very hard, while Lucas doesn't nearly have as much of a standing. The man the grassroots is looking to run is 26 year old State House Rep Mike Turner, who defeated the establishment candidate Guy Liebmann in 2012. He polls about 35% against each Cole and Lucas, but more are undecided against Lucas.

Congress District 3 Poll:
Incumbent Congressman Frank Lucas: 46%
State House Representative Mike Turner: 35%
Other: 1%
Undecided: 18%

Congress District 4 Poll:
Incumbent Congressman Tom Cole: 54%
State House Representative Mike Turner: 35%

Coburn announces retirement, no run for a third term

The most highly approved of politician in Oklahoma (68-21) has announced his retirement from the Senate, saying that he will not run for a third term, honoring his promise on term limits. Among other things, he has not said no to anything above that, like a Presidential run, but currently what we know is that he will not run for Senate. In a Republican Primary for his seat, Governor Mary Fallin topples the field, but once she's removed, it's between J.C. Watts, Tom Cole, and James Lankford...

Do you approve of how Senator Tom Coburn has done his job?
Approve: 68%
No: 21%

Who would you support in a Republican primary for Senate in 2016?
Governor Mary Fallin: 45%
Former Congressman J.C. Watts: 18%
Congressman Tom Cole: 10%
Congressman James Lankford: 8%
Lieutenant Governor Todd Lamb: 3%
Other: 4%
Undecided: 12%

Same Question w/o Mary Fallin.
Former Congressman J.C. Watts: 28%
Congressman Tom Cole: 22%
Congressman James Lankford: 15%
Lieutenant Governor Todd Lamb: 5%
Mayor Dewey Bartlett: 2%
Other: 5%
Undecided: 23%

Lankford announces Senate run

"Tom Coburn has been a great figure and a great representative of Oklahoma, and we need a Senator in his vision, and I will be that Senator!"

Watts not sure, Cole focusing on Congressional seat

Meanwhile, in Tulsa...

Bartlett: Taylor steaming rolling this city with money!

"Facts are facts, we don't have the sheer resources she does, and she will continue to do this to us no matter what. It's unfortunately if people fall for her ploy of bait and switch"

Christensen: Neither of my opponents want to talk about the issues of this campaign

Polls of this race showing a continued competitiveness: Christensen, drawing himself as an outsider, is gaining some ground in this race. Unfortunately for him, There might not be enough time for that: Right now he's at twenty, trailing both Mr. Bartlett and Mrs. Taylor by 10 or more.  It doesn't look too clear that he will make the run-off, but even if he loses, he loses with the best favorables of any candidate: Taylor, while popular, has dropped off a lot due to the campaign, and Bartlett was never exactly that popular to begin with.

Tulsa Mayoral Poll:
Mayor Dewey Bartlett (R): 36%
Former Mayor Kathy Taylor (D): 35%
Former City Councilman Bill Christensen (R): 21%
Undecided: 8%

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »

Sweet Brown for OKC mayor!!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »