Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (and general series discussion)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:20:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (and general series discussion)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (and general series discussion)  (Read 4541 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »

So it's back. As is David Tennant for the 50th Anniversary special. What did you think of the latest episode?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »

50 years... Impressive.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 03:30:31 PM »

I loved the new episode, great the see the GI back and looks to set up a promising series. New info says that the Fields of Trenzalore(sp?) plot will be in this season's finale.

Billie Piper is back for the 50th as well as the Zygons, and probably a lot other people/things we haven't been told yet and luckily we still get a christmas special this year too!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »

So is there anyone who is honestly buying the whole "I'm not part of the anniversary" that the old Doctors are claiming right now? Eccleston is the only one who would probably bail on an anniversary special, but the other 5 not being involved sounds rather ludicrous.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »

So is there anyone who is honestly buying the whole "I'm not part of the anniversary" that the old Doctors are claiming right now? Eccleston is the only one who would probably bail on an anniversary special, but the other 5 not being involved sounds rather ludicrous.

Actually Eccleston is less of a hold out than people think. I don't think all the old doctors will appear; it clouds the story.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 03:21:05 AM »

I liked the latest episode, but it felt a bit rushed (like they crammed too much in and rushed the ending). I hope they do good justice to the upcoming Cybermen episode. I've always thought they were the creepiest and most disturbing enemy in Doctor Who. There's just something about them that I can't really describe.

Has anyone been watching the Doctor Who Revisited specials? I already mentioned the First Doctor before, but the Second Doctor's special and The Tomb of the Cybermen was just pure excellence. It was actually enough to spark my new-found interest in the classic Doctor Who episodes. I've actually watched quite a few since then. However, I have yet to watch the very recent Third Doctor special.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:05:57 AM »
« Edited: April 05, 2013, 10:40:53 AM by MasterJedi »

Digital Spy reports Eccleston not in the 50th. Says Moffat approached him and they spoke numerous times and he said no. Sad day for that.

Speaking of watching Classic Who, I'm not up to The Ambassadors of Death which should actually be in the mail waiting when I get home. Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »

A lot of division over Rings of Akhaten; some people loved it, others hated it. I actually really liked it; it was a very tight and very focused. Some fantastic scenes with Matt Smith which made my inner humanist bubble to the surface Smiley
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »

A lot of division over Rings of Akhaten; some people loved it, others hated it. I actually really liked it; it was a very tight and very focused. Some fantastic scenes with Matt Smith which made my inner humanist bubble to the surface Smiley

I thought it was average until the end. That speech by Smith was fantastic and shows how he's probably be the best actor the role has ever had and they also gave us some good nods to the past too with references to Omega's universe and Susan. Plus, I understood the concept of the leaf and don't need everything fully explained in detail for me to get what's going on and understand it all. I think that's why like Moffatt a lot, it's not that complex really if you pay attention and can follow somewhat detailed plots.

On another note we have confirmation that Jemma Redgrave is going to be back as Kate Stewart in the 50th.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »

Series 7 has been amazing so far, the last two episodes have been great!

Asylum of the Daleks: 10/10
Dinosaurs on a spaceship 10/10
A Town Called Mercy: 7/10
The Power of Three: 9/10
The Angels Take Manhattan: 10/10
The Snowmen: 10/10
The Bells of Saint John: 9/10
The Rings of Akhaten: 7/10
Cold War: 10/10
Hide: 10/10
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 10:42:09 PM »

I'm a huge Doctor who fan, I can hardly wait!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2013, 06:52:50 PM by Citizen (The) Doctor »

There's been lots of rumours that Matt will be leaving at the anniversary special or at Christmas. I hope to God it isn't true -- if there has been consistent growth in anything, it's Matt's performance. I still feel like he's yet to preform his finest hour.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »

There's been lots of rumours that Matt will be leaving at the anniversary special or at Christmas. I hope to God it isn't true -- if there has been consistent growth in anything, it's Matt's performance. I still feel like he's yet to performed his finest hour.

Pretty sure one of the rumors are all false. I know one I think is from the daily fail and we already know the Moff pitched Series 8 to Smith he seems to at least be signed up for that year from everything concrete that we have.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 11:00:57 AM »

There's been lots of rumours that Matt will be leaving at the anniversary special or at Christmas. I hope to God it isn't true -- if there has been consistent growth in anything, it's Matt's performance. I still feel like he's yet to performed his finest hour.

Pretty sure one of the rumors are all false. I know one I think is from the daily fail and we already know the Moff pitched Series 8 to Smith he seems to at least be signed up for that year from everything concrete that we have.

Yeah, being in Doctor Who isn’t seen as a career killer in the way that it once was; that’s why people are so keen to guest star in the show. It’s secure through Series 8 and from what we know Matt Smith is up for it. It’s not secure for Series 9; there’s no doubt that it will be re-commissioned if that is the plan as it’s one of the highest rated shows in the UK and is a money spinner for the BBC worldwide. Problem is though, it might be good for the brand if it’s ‘rested’ for a few years. What I can see happening is Smith starring as the Doctor for the first half of the next series which is likely to be late 2014, then re-generating and having another doctor for the second half in early 2015 and perhaps a few specials then a rest. This allows them to recruit someone pretty big to do it for a short space of time and then resting it for a few years. It’ll have been on the TV for ten years since it’s revival by that point.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 04:45:01 PM »

Filming today for the special recreated Coal Hill School and the Totter's Lane junkyard from the very first episode back in 1963.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 07:28:25 PM »

Filming today for the special recreated Coal Hill School and the Totter's Lane junkyard from the very first episode back in 1963.

Looks like they are re-enacting the original scene where the policeman walks into the junkyard and past the TARDIS. Great sign though with the name I. Chesterton on it.

Other news we have is that there are no old Doctors in the special. But we now know we can lynch Eccleston for backing out when offered.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 12:24:39 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2013, 02:59:25 AM by Citizen (The) Doctor »

I'm loving the Ian sign. Hopefully we'll get at least a cameo from William Russell as well -- 50 years on, he deserves it.

Something that I am really disappointed in -- DW fandom as of late. I used to read Gallifrey Base intently, as it was always a place for intelligent discussion, but these past two weeks have really shown just how depressing the fandom can really get. We have protest threads coming up about signing petitions to boot Moffat because of the old series Doctor absence, we have people throwing tantrums all over the place for whatever reason, be it "Doctor Who is catering too much to the general audience" and vice-versa. Even in the latter-RTD days, things weren't this bad.

It's really sickening, to be frank.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »

I'm loving the Ian sign. Hopefully we'll get at least a cameo from William Russell as well -- 50 years on, he deserves it.

Something that I am really disappointed in -- DW fandom as of late. I used to read Gallifrey Base intently, as it was always a place for intelligent discussion, but these past two weeks have really shown just how depressing the fandom can really get. We have protest threads coming up about signing petitions to boot Moffat because of the old series Doctor absence, we have people throwing tantrums all over the place for whatever reason, be it "Doctor Who is catering too much to the general audience" and vice-versa. Even in the latter-RTD days, things weren't this bad.

It's really sickening, to be frank.

I'm a member of that site (though don't post) and you're absolutely right. The idea of shoehorning in old Doctors doesn't make any sense and would detract from a story. If Doctor Who doesn't cater to the general audience, then there is no audience.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »

Also, only Tennant and Eccleston still look as they did when they were the Doctor.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »

It's telly-as-entertainment first and foremost (not that there's anything wrong with that!) and is impossible to 'justify' on any other level, so bleating about pandering to a mass audience is... er... well, it would be quite self-destructive if such bleats were actually listened to (which they aren't, obviously). It's also about 50% or so a kids show, which is also absolutely fine (but, again, returns to the previous point). I do have a couple of issues about the way things have been going of late, but that type of thing is beyond ridiculous.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 08:15:18 AM »

Well that was a camp fest Cheesy. Very Carry On

It was a bit like an RTD era episode actually but it was certainly fun. Great use of the flashback scene to move the story along. Also great use of a chair to sort things out; people have been moaning about the sonic screwdriver for ages so this is a nod to those whiners Smiley
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »

I loved that episode. Great story, Strax is always brilliant. Can't believed they put a Tom-Tom reference in there. Turning out to be the best Series so far!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 10:38:13 AM »

I loved that episode. Great story, Strax is always brilliant. Can't believed they put a Tom-Tom reference in there. Turning out to be the best Series so far!

It's the sort of episode only Who could get away with and in less capable hands than Gatiss, it would have been awful. Nice reference to Tegan too. Cybermen with Neil Gaiman up next week. Oh yes Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »

Neil Gaiman is writing the Cybermen story, which automatically raises expectations exceptionally high for the next story. After TDW. if he writes a clunker I will never forgive him. Cheesy
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »

Not a bad episode, but it was actually the first of this series I've been a bit 'meh' on. I was a little annoyed by that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies