How forumites have evolved (or not) on equal marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:12:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How forumites have evolved (or not) on equal marriage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: How forumites have evolved (or not) on equal marriage  (Read 12177 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2013, 12:17:17 AM »

I actually agree with that.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2013, 12:23:49 AM »

I've been pro-gay forever, I had a lesbian cousin when I was little (oddly enough, she's not a lesbian anymore).  I never had a fully formed opinion on gay marriage, didn't really care one way or the other.  I did argue that they should be happy with Civil Unions if they can get them.  I also recall making a big deal about not wanting a gay fellow to teach grade school aged children (this would have been the late 90s), but I realize that that was stupid a long time ago.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2013, 06:48:44 AM »

That post is a satirical comment on the one above it. It caught my eye too...

I haven't evolved on this issue, I think. I've always been at give them full benefits / I don't care whether it's called marriage. All that's changed over the past twenty years is the viability of the proposition - but even when I first formed an opinion there were European countries that already recognized gay marriages even though it was still completely unthinkable here in Germany with Helmut Kohl at the helm.
Thinking about this... when I first formed an opinion (that was mostly "ah, look just how progressive it is possible for countries near us to be. Not ever happening in this f**ktard country") the option of not calling it marriage - what we eventually got/will get* here - would not have occurred to me, and thus that part is evidently of later age. How much later? I cannot say; I have no recollection. All this was fifteen to twenty years ago and not of personal relevance to me.

*we got civil unions that everybody calls marriage colloquially. They're not equal in benefits yet, but we're getting there. It is purely a matter of time by now, and probably not very much time. Life of the next Parliament. Yet because of the way events unfolded in this country, that is what we will get - we're not going to officially rename it marriage anytime soon.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2013, 07:10:21 AM »

The first time I ever heard about the issue was when I was only seven, long before either my sexual or poitical awakening. My mother and grandmother were having a discussion about it. What I said then was that people should get to marry the persons they love.

So I can proudly say that it's one of my political views that has never needed to evolve.

Not that there's anything wrong with having gone through an evolution. BRTD's witch hunt on people like Ben is just silly. The important thing is where people end their journey, not where they start.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2013, 12:25:45 PM »

The first time I ever heard about the issue was when I was only seven, long before either my sexual or poitical awakening. My mother and grandmother were having a discussion about it. What I said then was that people should get to marry the persons they love.

So I can proudly say that it's one of my political views that has never needed to evolve.

Not that there's anything wrong with having gone through an evolution. BRTD's witch hunt on people like Ben is just silly. The important thing is where people end their journey, not where they start.

And the longer and more arduous the journey, the more one might commend the chap for his efforts.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »

Have you documented this journey anywhere, Torie? I wouldn't mind reading it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »

Have you documented this journey anywhere, Torie? I wouldn't mind reading it.

No, I was not referring to myself, as to supporting the gay marriage issue (I have been in favor of gay marriage since rocks cooled). If you mean coming to understand my sexuality, perhaps I could elaborate on that more if you wish. I would have to give some thought as to how to compose it. But for now, let me just say that I am relatively close to the borderline as to sexuality (or thought I was), as opposed to out on the tail of the bell curve. I also did not have the driving sex drive that I have now, after I got buffed and "hormoned" up, which made the matter more "pressing" as it were. It literally had a substantial impact on my personality.

Looking back with the self understanding that I have now, though, it does seem to me that I was gay from day one - from my very earliest childhood memories. It is kind of amazing isn't it, that no matter how smart and educated you are, on some things you have no understanding about yourself at all - perhaps because you just don't want to find out. I will have to ponder that.

Let me know if you would like a longer essay on all of this, Holmes. Thanks. I am flattered by your interest!  Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2013, 12:19:21 AM »

Guys, this is not solely about Ben's views on gay marriage, but his overall moderate hero political views. One would think he is running for President in 2016.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2013, 12:22:15 AM »

It is kind of amazing isn't it, that no matter how smart and educated you are, on some things you have no understanding about yourself at all - perhaps because you just don't want to find out. I will have to ponder that.

Or simply didn't need to find out. Excuse me for coming across as judgmental, but from how I've interpreted some of your posts over my time here, you seem to be very happy as a person and at peace with yourself. Perhaps I'm wrong, or maybe in the past you struggled with this more than any of us can tell, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2013, 02:54:56 AM »

Guys, this is not solely about Ben's views on gay marriage, but his overall moderate hero political views. One would think he is running for President in 2016.

And you've made your point, why are you continuing to pursue the matter? It's very BRTD-like. Ben doesn't owe you a justificatication for his politics.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2013, 02:57:00 AM »

Its easy to agree with if you're heterosexual.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2013, 03:13:51 AM »

According to a post I found, I've supported full marriage equality since 2005 - but there will also be some posts from earlier in the year opposing that viewpoint.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2013, 08:00:29 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2013, 08:14:01 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2013, 08:16:02 AM by Ebowed »

From what I can tell, these posters approach the issue of equality through a mostly philosophical lens, appreciating the principle of the pro-marriage argument absent a great deal of personal interaction with the issue - so it is hardly surprising that they find discrimination in marriage law to be of little relevance.  At least they agree in spirit.

(Either that, or they do actually know people affected by this injustice, but rationalize their indifference with the understanding that it doesn't harm most of the population - but I would prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt.)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »

Yes, that's explicit enough. Even when to some people same-sex marriage is not a matter of life and death, it has enough entity for anyone who believes in the equality of the individuals to the eyes of the law and similar trifles.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2013, 08:30:08 AM by Sbane »

And you've made your point, why are you continuing to pursue the matter? It's very BRTD-like. Ben doesn't owe you a justificatication for his politics.

Just pointing out this is about his seemingly contrived viewpoint on most things rather than just on gay marriage, as some people are implying. Of course things were much worse back in the day so the newer posters don't know what they are talking about.

In any case I don't really care much. I just don't get why people are congratulating a moderate hero for taking a moderate hero stance. I would save that for someone from a very conservative background like Bushie or an old like Clarence who has not seen gay marriage as an issue almost his whole life.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2013, 08:37:25 AM »

I just don't get why people are congratulating a moderate hero for taking a moderate hero stance.

Central to what I understand about the gay rights movement (and indeed, social justice movements in general) is that
a.) Everyone is welcome,
b.) It's never too late to stand for equality, even if everyone else has also started doing so.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »

And people still focus on gay marriage. I give up.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2013, 08:46:05 AM »

And people still focus on gay marriage. I give up.

I think at this point it is fairly clear what guides his approach to political matters, so yes, the focus is on gay marriage - because rather than decry someone for taking the correct position due to perceived popularity of the stance, we simply embrace them for taking the correct position and hope that they may understand why it is correct.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2013, 08:52:53 AM »

Fair enough. I just think people From the demographics of Bushie and Clarence deserve a lot more embracing. It is much, much tougher for them to embrace gay marriage.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2013, 09:44:24 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I have been very happy the past few years, and at peace with myself, as I embarked on my own little journey of discovery, with less pressure bearing down on me from my career. But before that, and even before coming here, I was always for some reason an equanimable poster, and seem to get along well with others, including those who disagreed with me. On the nets, I had very good diplomatic skills I think. But I was far more private than now, and not too happy with myself as a person in some respects. Now I just let it all hang out. Smiley  And I have always enjoyed being something of a teacher.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2013, 02:05:04 PM »

Roll Eyes

Excuse me if I think poverty, the unmaking of the Welfare State, massive tax evasion, the complete unfairness of the education, health care or judicial systems, the fate of undocumented immigrants, inequalities and discrimination of all sorts against all sorts of groups (including LGBT) to be more important that that single issue of marriage. How heartless I must be!
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »

Roll Eyes

Excuse me if I think poverty, the unmaking of the Welfare State, massive tax evasion, the complete unfairness of the education, health care or judicial systems, the fate of undocumented immigrants, inequalities and discrimination of all sorts against all sorts of groups (including LGBT) to be more important that that single issue of marriage. How heartless I must be!

But conservatives/liberals here are so much more progressive now because they passed gay marriage. About to crucify those that are dependent on benefits, for having the temerity to have an extra bedroom in their council houses, in a system they know won't work, but it saves money and the cruelty is justified through the reappearance of Victorian 'undeserving poor' prejudices. But still, gay marriage!
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »

Roll Eyes

But conservatives/liberals here are so much more progressive now because they passed gay marriage. About to crucify those that are dependent on benefits, for having the temerity to have an extra bedroom in their council houses, in a system they know won't work, but it saves money and the cruelty is justified through the reprisal of Victorian 'undeserving poor' prejudices. But still, gay marriage!

All in one term too!
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »

Had to be, you never stood a chance of being re-elected - you failed to get elected in the first place, beyond using unsuspecting Liberal voters to make your majority.

Meh, the more you drive us towards Victorian misery, the more likely we'll have radicalism.  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies