SC-1 special election - May 7th
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:23:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SC-1 special election - May 7th
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24
Author Topic: SC-1 special election - May 7th  (Read 78681 times)
socaldem
skolodji

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2013, 10:31:25 PM »

If ECB wins, there will be a tidy cluster of 3 Romney-voting districts in the Southern Atlantic seaboard that have Democratic representatives--Barrow, ECB, and McInyre.

This may be purely coincidental, but worth noting, I think. I really do think that in a neutral election year, ECB has a reasonable shot at reelection in 2014. We'll see what happens. Here's hoping that Bostic runs again and manages to win the GOP primary.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »

Most of Platt's voters voted Romney!

I strongly suspect that many of them are Republicans who feel a civic obligation to vote, but do not want to vote for either Sanford or a Democrat, so will be voting for Platt as a safe protest vote instead of staying home.  There would be more of those safe protest votes if either the Libertarian or Constitution parties had put up a candidate.
Even if Platt's to the left of the Democrats?  And besides, why do so many people think Nader cost Gore the 2000 election if some Republican-leaning voters who didn't necessarily want Bush didn't vote for him?  I'm not arguing that they're right, I'm just asking you how that figures.
Anyway, I have no idea why a state with a large religious conservative population like South Carolina, in a party with a powerful religious conservative constituency, would nominate a womanizer like Sanford for Congress.  The worst part about it is that he'll lose to, of all people, Stephen Colbert's sister.

Math.  There were polls at the time that showed Nader's support breaking to Gore  50-20 over Bush with the other 30% staying home.  That would have given both N.H and Fla to Gore.

Now there is no way to tell how accurate that really is, but it makes sense and even if the gap wasn't quite that large its pretty safe to assume the voters would have favored Gore.  Even if a smaller gap put N.H out of reach for Gore, considering how insanely close Florida was it would have flipped.  Bush won by 537 votes, Nader received 97,488
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2013, 11:49:42 PM »

This may be purely coincidental, but worth noting, I think. I really do think that in a neutral election year, ECB has a reasonable shot at reelection in 2014. We'll see what happens. Here's hoping that Bostic runs again and manages to win the GOP primary.

Bostic may run again, but he won't win the primary.  He couldn't even beat Sanford in the runoff.  Nah, what happened here was he had enough support to get second in a very fractured special election primary.  If Sanford hadn't run, Bostic still would have lost the runoff, assuming he even made it.  If Sanford hadn't been running, I think the runoff would likely have been Grooms v. Turner. 
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2013, 03:03:46 AM »

Bostic may run again, but he won't win the primary.  He couldn't even beat Sanford in the runoff.  Nah, what happened here was he had enough support to get second in a very fractured special election primary.  If Sanford hadn't run, Bostic still would have lost the runoff, assuming he even made it.  If Sanford hadn't been running, I think the runoff would likely have been Grooms v. Turner. 

I trust your local perspective. I suppose an entirely different wingnut/flawed candidate could come out of the woodwork somehow to muck things up for the GOP.

Any chance that Mrs. Sanford runs? Not the Argentinian one, of course.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2013, 09:56:12 AM »

I trust your local perspective. I suppose an entirely different wingnut/flawed candidate could come out of the woodwork somehow to muck things up for the GOP.

Any chance that Mrs. Sanford runs? Not the Argentinian one, of course.

Doubtful.  Certainly not any time soon as there will be plenty of Republicans blaming her for Mark's upcoming loss because she let details of their custody spat get into the public eye in a manner that seemed calculated to cause him the most harm without regard to the harm it might do the party.  If she'd let the details come out before the runoff or even better before the primary, there a good chance that Mark would not have ended up the nominee.
Benj

« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2013, 09:58:44 AM »

If ECB wins, there will be a tidy cluster of 3 Romney-voting districts in the Southern Atlantic seaboard that have Democratic representatives--Barrow, ECB, and McInyre.

This district is very different from the other two. Much wealthier, much more urban and much whiter.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »

This district is very different from the other two. Much wealthier, much more urban and much whiter.

Actually, NC-07 is 72% white and SC-01 is 70%. The racially diverse areas, around Lumberton and Wilmington, were mostly cut out. GA-12 is noticeably lower, 61%.
Benj

« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2013, 10:24:29 AM »

Ah, must have been looking at pre-redistricting numbers for NC-07. Still a much poorer and more rural district, though.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2013, 10:27:16 AM »

Ah, must have been looking at pre-redistricting numbers for NC-07. Still a much poorer and more rural district, though.

Yeah, pre-redistricting, NC-07 was only 64% white. It lost Robeson County, which is actually plurality Native American.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »

Dear God: Sanford debated a cardboard cutout of Pelosi. Outdoors. Forget winning, I'm beginning to wonder if he's losing his marbles.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/24/mark-sanford-debates-poster/
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »

Dear God: Sanford debated a cardboard cutout of Pelosi. Outdoors. Forget winning, I'm beginning to wonder if he's losing his marbles.

Wow, this race is just getting more and more hilarious.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #186 on: April 25, 2013, 01:07:48 AM »

If Colbert-Busch's opponent in 2014 is even half as crazy as he is, then I think Dems will keep the seat for a while.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #187 on: April 25, 2013, 01:24:42 AM »

Mark Sanford is the best gift to the Democratic Party since Todd Akin.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2013, 07:21:07 AM »

Actually, I think it's a fairly reasonable campaign ploy.  It lets him call out his opponent for not agreeing to as many debates as he would like and it lets him paint her a Pelosi-type liberal. However, it's also the sort of campaign tactic used by those who are behind, and unless ECB commits a gaffe, it's not going to help him win.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2013, 03:06:31 PM »

Not a new strategy. Perhaps he's trying to get a gig at MSNBC.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/10/30/virginia-house-krystal-balls-longshot-run-against-gop-rep-rob/
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2013, 03:42:44 PM »

At least it wasn't an empty chair.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #191 on: April 25, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »

At least it wasn't an empty chair.

As far as I'm concerned this is on the level of debating an empty chair.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »

Then there's this phone stunt.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/04/25/mark_sanford_releases_the_phone_numbers_of_people_who_called_him_after_he.html
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2013, 06:02:40 PM »

Good lord, is Sanford getting secretly paid by the Democrats to be as bad as possible or something? That's the only thing that would explain how awful his campaign is.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #194 on: April 25, 2013, 09:02:44 PM »

Ron Paul Endorses Mark Sanford
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »

Wow.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2013, 09:10:20 PM »

Actually, I think it's a fairly reasonable campaign ploy.  It lets him call out his opponent for not agreeing to as many debates as he would like and it lets him paint her a Pelosi-type liberal. However, it's also the sort of campaign tactic used by those who are behind, and unless ECB commits a gaffe, it's not going to help him win.

Considering the kind of discourse Republicans care to engage in, debating a Pelosi made of straw would have been more appropriate.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »

There will be a real debate Monday 7pm ET.  It'll be streamed at http://scetv.org/television/streaming/sanford-colbert-debate.cfm if anyone is interested.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2013, 06:25:36 PM »

"Nobody tells me what to do!" - Colbert Busch to Sanford during the debate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #199 on: April 29, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »

Low blow question to Sanford: "You voted for the Defense of Marriage Act and to impeach President Clinton for having an extra marital affair. Would you vote those ways again?" Instead of citing that little thing called perjury, Sanford probably earned sympathy points by rhetorically asking "Do you think that President Clinton should be condemned for the rest of his life based on a mistake he made in his life?" Got some applause but he didn't answer the actual question.

Colbert Busch does the usual talking points on abortion yet doesn't explain why a tweet stating she was Pro Choice was deleted.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies