Interesting "51st State" Proposal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:52:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Interesting "51st State" Proposal
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting "51st State" Proposal  (Read 3477 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »

So, it seems that most 51st state proposals (namely D.C. and P.R. statehood) seem to be biased towards the Democrats.  In order to rectify this I have composed a 51st state proposal (albeit very unlikely and somewhat ridiculous) that I believe would benefit the Republicans without affecting the current borders of any of the 50 states.

My proposals:  Incorporate all overseas American military military installations and their resident citizen populations into a single state.This means that all of the American military bases in Japan, Germany, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, etc. would form this new state.     

Just an interesting idea; however, I'm having a hard time finding basic data on the populations residing on American military bases abroad.  Anyone care to help me find some numbers?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 10:42:06 PM »

Why is DC and PR statehood biased towards Democrats? Because Democrats support it and Republicans choose to oppose it?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »

Why is DC and PR statehood biased towards Democrats? Because Democrats support it and Republicans choose to oppose it?

It's not necessarily "bias", but the admission of these entities undoubtedly benefits Democrats in the United States Senate. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 12:40:11 AM »

Demographics.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »

So, it seems that most 51st state proposals (namely D.C. and P.R. statehood) seem to be biased towards the Democrats.  In order to rectify this I have composed a 51st state proposal (albeit very unlikely and somewhat ridiculous) that I believe would benefit the Republicans without affecting the current borders of any of the 50 states.

My proposals:  Incorporate all overseas American military military installations and their resident citizen populations into a single state.This means that all of the American military bases in Japan, Germany, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, etc. would form this new state.     

Just an interesting idea; however, I'm having a hard time finding basic data on the populations residing on American military bases abroad.  Anyone care to help me find some numbers?

How about just saying that DC statehood finally makes up for the ridiculousness that was splitting up the Dakota Territory for the primary purpose of guaranteeing two more Republican Senators?  Tongue

And Puerto Rico is not, I think, a sure thing for the Dems.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »

So, it seems that most 51st state proposals (namely D.C. and P.R. statehood) seem to be biased towards the Democrats.  In order to rectify this I have composed a 51st state proposal (albeit very unlikely and somewhat ridiculous) that I believe would benefit the Republicans without affecting the current borders of any of the 50 states.

My proposals:  Incorporate all overseas American military military installations and their resident citizen populations into a single state.This means that all of the American military bases in Japan, Germany, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, etc. would form this new state.    

Just an interesting idea; however, I'm having a hard time finding basic data on the populations residing on American military bases abroad.  Anyone care to help me find some numbers?

I can look but I'm afraid their population combined would not be sufficient to found a state.

You know what would be interesting? Having Americans permanently living abroad counted as a state. "Senator for Americans Abroad", "Congressman for American Abroad".
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 04:08:41 PM »

So, it seems that most 51st state proposals (namely D.C. and P.R. statehood) seem to be biased towards the Democrats.  In order to rectify this I have composed a 51st state proposal (albeit very unlikely and somewhat ridiculous) that I believe would benefit the Republicans without affecting the current borders of any of the 50 states.

My proposals:  Incorporate all overseas American military military installations and their resident citizen populations into a single state.This means that all of the American military bases in Japan, Germany, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, etc. would form this new state.    

Just an interesting idea; however, I'm having a hard time finding basic data on the populations residing on American military bases abroad.  Anyone care to help me find some numbers?

I can look but I'm afraid their population combined would not be sufficient to found a state.

You know what would be interesting? Having Americans permanently living abroad counted as a state. "Senator for Americans Abroad", "Congressman for American Abroad".

That would definitely be interesting!!

Would this be a fairly Republican or Democratic state?  I would imagine many Americans living abroad are affiliated with the military, so that would make it solidly Republican.  However, American citizens in the diplomatic corps I would imagine to be pretty liberal.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »

How about just saying that DC statehood finally makes up for the ridiculousness that was splitting up the Dakota Territory for the primary purpose of guaranteeing two more Republican Senators?  Tongue

Funny that you should bring up the Dakotas.

Neither the Democrats nor Republicans benefit from the splitting of the Dakotas, as both ND and SD have 1 D, 1 R senator.  That's means the senators in those states cancel one another out.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »

My problem is, WHERE IS THE CAPITOL FOR THE STATE GOING TO BE?!?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »

Better make that Senators and Congressmen-at-large for Americans not living in any State.  That way, they could also represent the Territories that will never be large enough to be granted statehood.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »

Funny that you should bring up the Dakotas.

Neither the Democrats nor Republicans benefit from the splitting of the Dakotas, as both ND and SD have 1 D, 1 R senator.  That's means the senators in those states cancel one another out.

Yes, that certainly happens to be true right now.  But it wasn't the intent when they were first admitted!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 06:50:35 AM »

In your heart.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »

In your heart.

Well that's nice to think... Delegates? Representatives? Senators? Governors? all in your heart?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 10:07:31 PM »

Who would be eligible to represent them?  If you live on one of these bases you're active in the military, and can't be holding political office.  If you leave active service to become a representative of this "state" your not eligible to be living on an overseas military base and thus are no longer a resident of the "state" you represent.

I'm personal much more fond of the idea of taking statehood away from Wyoming and making it some sort of dystopian Federal Mining District/Ayn Rand Gulag.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 11:15:31 PM »

In your heart.

In all our hearts. The capitol is US
lincolnwall
Kiwi election junkie
Rookie
New Zealand

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 11:48:08 PM »

Puerto Ricans tend to be socially conservative, so there's no reason to think that it would automatically be a Dem stronghold, especially if the GOP manages to reach out more to Hispanics in the next couple decades.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies