SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:38:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary  (Read 1019 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »

Okay guys, I've been elected Chair of this thing, so let's get this show on the road. Check in and we can get down to business.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »

When I get done laughing at this obvious joke, there had better be activity in here. Tongue Evil

I want my legal represenation bill reviewed and reviewed in depth and detail. Bring in "legal experts" if such is required to get the job done.

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »

Present.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 06:45:02 AM »

Ahoy
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 08:27:58 PM »

My legal representation is only three down in the queue, could you please get on it soon.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »

Do you need something to do over here?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »

It isn't the matter at hand that is the problem, but the instrument by which it is to be acheived. THe Chairman is on leave.

Now this is something we should find a way to fix on Productive committee things.

Of course it would have to be a valid LOA, WHICH OAKVALES IS NOT!!!!! Evil Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 03:16:36 PM »

Is anyone on this committee even left alive? The first person to post gets the extra-procedural and informal control over this train wreck.

Perhaps I should just cease control myself and start dictating discussions, myself. Tongue

We kind of a have an issue of responsiveness regarding the Court, which is an activity issue to say the least. May I recommend bringing the Justices in and investigating how to improve that situation.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:07:17 PM »

I guess I'll seize control Tongue

How do we think we can best get a responsive Supreme Court when issues arise?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »

When I get the opportunity, I plan to offer an amendment to the Expectations Amendment that would trigger an automatic impeachment proceeding for any member that fails to participate in three cases in a row.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »

When I get the opportunity, I plan to offer an amendment to the Expectations Amendment that would trigger an automatic impeachment proceeding for any member that fails to participate in three cases in a row.

What do you mean 'participate in'?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »

Join, Concur, Dissent, or Recuse. One of the four. I have the texts posted in the Expectations Amendment.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2013, 05:23:03 PM by opebo »

Join, Concur, Dissent, or Recuse. One of the four. I have the texts posted in the Expectations Amendment.

Where's that?

By the way, your expectation is entirely unreasonable, as we do our deliberations in private (by pm) and deliver you the result.  You may assume that at least 2 or 3 of us concur. 

It is quite clear that the motivation here is political and not at all about performance of duty.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 05:26:27 PM »

Where's that?

By the way, your expectation is entirely unreasonable, as we do our deliberations in private (by pm) and deliver you the result.  You may assume that at least 2 or 3 of us concur. 

It is quite clear that the motivation here is political and not at all about performance of duty.

In a normal court, we know which judges are concurring or dissenting and we fully expect this Court to do so too.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »

Apparently, at least one of your of your present or former colleagues doesn't share your opinion, as that standard of "participation" was recommended to me by a Justice. Tongue There is no assumption involved as the ruling says who joined in the opinion. If a Justice hasn't joined, I don't think it unreasonable that they then be obliged to compose their own opinion or have recused themselves as a result of some conflict. I find that the most reasonable of standards. 

I have no interest in going after any of you because of your politics. Roll Eyes That position is undeniable within reason, Opebo. I would point out that my proposal is the least aggressive and the most concerned with avoiding undue partisan influence, of any proposal that has been motivated recently by the court's lack of activity. It is similar to the standard utilized with regards to the Senate's procedures for the use of its constitutional expulsion mechanism that serves to ensure that such is only used for cases of competence and not with those of politics.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 03:35:15 AM »

In a normal court, we know which judges are concurring or dissenting and we fully expect this Court to do so too.

Well, there's is no stipulation in law or in the constitution to that effect, Max.  Therefore this cannot be a 'crime' and thus is not a reason for impeachment.  If you wish to set requirements from this point forward, that might under some interpretations be considered constitutional.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 07:41:08 AM »

The sweet Justice from transsexual Thailand should remember that impeachment is Constitutional by definition. There is no judicial review of the process; it is totally up to the Senate and the people to interpret what constitutes an "impeachable offense."

The fact that the term 'impeachment' and the term 'offense' is used, Averolls, means that it is defined only as a crime - not merely as the whim of the mob.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies