House Republicans Unanimously Vote Down Minimum Wage Hike
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:52:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Republicans Unanimously Vote Down Minimum Wage Hike
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: House Republicans Unanimously Vote Down Minimum Wage Hike  (Read 5548 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 05:13:05 AM »

I wonder how many Republicans would vote to just abolish the minimum wage completely, if it ever came up for a vote and their re-election chances weren't in danger.  Probably most.

If we can't get people working for 17 cents an hour, then how the hell are we ever going to compete with China?!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 08:20:37 AM »

I wonder how many Republicans would vote to just abolish the minimum wage completely, if it ever came up for a vote and their re-election chances weren't in danger.  Probably most.

If we can't get people working for 17 cents an hour, then how the hell are we ever going to compete with China?!

Higher productivity, which is how we compete now.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 09:28:09 AM »

Yeah, just the other day I was telling my buddy about how much I missed the Lochner Era!
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »

Those 6 Democrats are all about as liberal as you can get for those conservative districts.  All have an R-leaning PVI except Schrader's district, which is even. 

For those, primary challenge = likely general election R pickup
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »

Those 6 Democrats are all about as liberal as you can get for those conservative districts.  All have an R-leaning PVI except Schrader's district, which is even. 

Not the Owens and Schrader seats.  They would at worst be tossups as open seats.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 05:33:35 PM »

These 6 Democrats completely undercut the Democratic message.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 07:02:33 PM »

Who were the 6 Democrats who voted it down?

I assume this is the vote (it's 184-233): http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll074.xml

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Democrats need to kick them off the ballot for 2014 and run real Democrats.

Real Democrats don't win Congressional races in Utah any more. We might be able to replace some of the others with real Democrats, though.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »

I assume this is the vote (it's 184-233): http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll074.xml

Real Democrats don't win Congressional races in Utah any more. We might be able to replace some of the others with real Democrats, though.

The only ones we could get away with replacing is Owens and Schrader. Particularly Schrader - he's been acting like a Republican recently.

At least Cooper was a yea. He's one that would be replaced with a real Democrat.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »

The Republicans would more likely call for a reduction of the minimum wage  so that they could give us all the 'freedom' to work for much less. 
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 09:48:49 AM »

SERIOUSLY. The minimum wage is a Democratic litmus test, or at least should be considered one. If you're a Democrat and you vote against raising it, you should just switch parties right now. You aren't a Democrat if you're against raising the minimum wage, period.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 02:31:36 PM »

SERIOUSLY. The minimum wage is a Democratic litmus test, or at least should be considered one. If you're a Democrat and you vote against raising it, you should just switch parties right now. You aren't a Democrat if you're against raising the minimum wage, period.

As much as I disagree with how they voted, think about it.  Do we really want John Barrow's and Jim Matheson's seats to be open in a non-presidential election year?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 02:57:37 PM »

Wouldn't a minimum wage hike reduce the deficit significantly?  Less people would qualify for food stamps and medicaid and they'd receive smaller tax refunds.

That assumes that a wage hike would not impact jobs, which it certainly would, tho the extent and timing of that impact is of considerable debate.  Despite what opebo and possibly memphis think, it certainly is possible to raise the minimum wage too high, of which the most recent prominent example is what happened to the tuna canning industry in American Samoa when the Democrats insisted on implementing the Federal minimum wage there over the objections of the people there.  Tho to be fair, the increase in the minimum wage that was inflicted on American Samoa would be more like raising the current US minimum wage to $20/hr than to $10/hr.

Come on ernest, that's not a very good example - America itself has no export dependent or import-substitution industries, only service jobs. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 03:04:43 PM »

As much as I disagree with how they voted, think about it.  Do we really want John Barrow's and Jim Matheson's seats to be open in a non-presidential election year?

I'm not saying we should primary these two in particular... but do we really have much to lose? It's not like we can win the House with such vicious GOP gerrymanders everywhere.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »

I'm not saying we should primary these two in particular... but do we really have much to lose? It's not like we can win the House with such vicious GOP gerrymanders everywhere.

I don't expect the Democrats to retake the House any time soon, but losing two would just put us two behind.  Their replacements would just vote party-line.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2013, 06:54:36 PM by SPC »

So there is no level that a true Democrat would consider too high for the minimum wage? Anyone who would vote against a $1000/hr minimum wage is just a DINO?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »

So there is no level that a true Democrat would consider too high for the minimum wage? Anyone would would vote against a $1000/hr minimum wage is just a DINO?

Don't be an ass. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »

Those 6 Democrats are all about as liberal as you can get for those conservative districts.  All have an R-leaning PVI except Schrader's district, which is even.  

I live in Peterson's district... and a more liberal Democrat could win the district in the right year.  A pro-life, pro-gun guy that was fairly generic dem on most everything else could win the district if the GOP ran the types it usually runs here.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 05:13:08 PM »

So there is no level that a true Democrat would consider too high for the minimum wage? Anyone would would vote against a $1000/hr minimum wage is just a DINO?

Don't be an ass. 

Sounds like we've found a DINO here!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »

Don't be an ass. 

Har!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »

party discipline Lenin could only dream of.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »

Wouldn't a minimum wage hike reduce the deficit significantly?  Less people would qualify for food stamps and medicaid and they'd receive smaller tax refunds.

That assumes that a wage hike would not impact jobs, which it certainly would, tho the extent and timing of that impact is of considerable debate.  Despite what opebo and possibly memphis think, it certainly is possible to raise the minimum wage too high, of which the most recent prominent example is what happened to the tuna canning industry in American Samoa when the Democrats insisted on implementing the Federal minimum wage there over the objections of the people there.  Tho to be fair, the increase in the minimum wage that was inflicted on American Samoa would be more like raising the current US minimum wage to $20/hr than to $10/hr.

Come on ernest, that's not a very good example - America itself has no export dependent or import-substitution industries, only service jobs. 

Service jobs are quite capable of being outsourced overseas, as is evident to anyone who has called an Indian staffed tech support line. They can also be replaced by automation if the price of labor goes too high.  Even higher paying service jobs are not immune.  While the current glut of lawyers was in large part caused by the expansion in law schools, corporations choosing to have their routine legal document work handled by cheap foreign lawyers instead of American ones also contributed.  Computer programming is another field where cheaper foreign labor is being substituted.  (Not always by companies. There was a recent story about an American programmer who was fired when it was found he had hired a Chinese programmer to do his work for him while he surfed the internet at his job.  His employer was not happy about him giving his subcontractor his security clearances.)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 07:11:22 PM »

Don't be an ass. 

So what is the minimum minimum wage hike that a Democrat could oppose without being a DINO?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2013, 10:00:37 PM »

Actually, it's more of "Real Democrats don't win any more Congressional races in Utah yet". Matheson's district has been made more conservative, but it's also got a growing Hispanic population. So eventually it may go a bit more liberal; certainly no San Francisco, but perhaps to the level of Colorado.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2013, 12:37:56 AM »

Actually, it's more of "Real Democrats don't win any more Congressional races in Utah yet". Matheson's district has been made more conservative, but it's also got a growing Hispanic population. So eventually it may go a bit more liberal; certainly no San Francisco, but perhaps to the level of Colorado.

Well, I'm sure they voted for real Democrats in the past. If Idaho had Frank Church, they might have had some reasonable ones, too.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »

Don't be an ass. 

Well obviously.  But that has nothing to do with why I called him an ass.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies