Of Mice and Men
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:36:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Of Mice and Men
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Of Mice and Men  (Read 2649 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:24:44 AM »

"We are awaiting the announcement speech. Much speculation has been on Florida Senator Marco Rubio and him being the Vice Presidential nominee, however in recent days intensity has surrounded Congressman Paul Ryan, as well as Senator Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire." -- Megyn Kelly

"The announcement location is rather an interesting choice in West Chester, Ohio. Governor Daniels is the next door neighbor to the state and he is clearly focused on winning this state back from President Obama." -- Brett Baier

"The choice of Ohio for the announcement led many to speculate that Senator Rob Portman would be the nominee, but he has publicly insisted and I quote, "I will not, will not be the Vice Presidential nominee." -- Megyn Kelly

"Please welcome the next President of the United States of America, Mitch Daniels."

"And there is Governor Daniels now. He's taking the stage now to announce the person he has chosen to run with him on the ticket." -- Brett Baier

"Thank you all for being here on this beautiful Ohio day. I'm excited to be here, because today we take the next step towards our goal of victory in November. Now the person who serves as Vice President not only must bring a voice to the Administration, but be willing, ready and able to serve as Commander in Chief on Day one. I have found that person. A person of character, of integrity, clarity and one who shares the vision I have to lead America back to prosperity. So please join with me in welcoming my running mate and the next Vice President of these United States, Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice."

Prologue:

"Today I am announce that I am a candidate for President of the United States of America. I enter this race because at this hour America needs new leadership and path to prosperity. I intend to lead this country out of the economic doldrums and into better days and I ask that you stand with me in this fight to take back America."

"After signaling no interest to run for the Republican nomination, Governor Mitch Daniels today announces his candidacy for President of the United States. Daniels has been pursued by many in the party to run and his entry shakes up an unstable field that includes Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, Texas Governor Rick Perry and Congresswoman Michele Bachmann." -- Brett Baier

"Governor Daniels seemed like he wasn't going to run and then he saw the formation of the field and it's a week field and I think he began the process during the early days of summer of laying the groundwork leading up to this announcement now right before Labor Day. It's a late entry, which didn't work out for Fred Thompson four years ago, but Daniels is a well known figure in the party and look in 1980 Reagan didn't announce until the fall so there is a precedent." -- Bill Kristol

Republican Presidential Primary: September 2011
Romney: 21%
Perry: 19%
Daniels: 19%
Bachmann: 19%
Cain: 7%
Paul: 5%
Gingrich: 3%
Santorum: 3%
Huntsman: 1%
Other: 4%

DEFINED
In his first debate since entering Governor Daniels, joined by Newt Gingrich and Rick Perry attacked fragile frontrunner Mitt Romney for his changing positions on the issues. Romney who has attempted to paint himself as the strongest challenger to defeat President Obama fell into the crosshairs of Governor Daniels who called him the candidate of multiple choice, echoing similar statements made by Ted Kennedy in Romney's failed Senate Run in 1994. "Governor Romney is a nice man and competent businessman, but he is all over the place on issues. I think to defeat President Obama we will need to present a clear contrast between his policies and what we'll do and the man who practically invented Obamacare is not the one to do just that."

Also in the debate Governor Daniels attacked Governor Perry for his recent comments on science and evolution. "We cannot be the party that blocks out reason and common sense. Leave that to the Democrats. We cannot be the stupid party, instead be a party of big ideas, not limited ones."

The Road to Iowa: Headlines

"Crack in the Romney Armor" - Politico
"The Hunt is On, Huntsman looks to pull upset in NH Primary" - Portsmout Herald
"The Clear Choice" - Union Leader Endorsement of Mitch Daniels
"Daniels for President" - Des Monies Register Endorsement
"Battle of Iowa: Daniels, Bachmann, Paul - New York Times
"The Lone Star Fade" - Politico
"Mark of Cain: Herman Cain Drops Out" - Mother Jones
"Perry Backs Daniels"

"Congresswoman Bachmann holds a narrow lead in the Iowa Caucus polls, but in the final days of the campaign this could be anyone's race." -- Megyn Kelly

"Governor Romney is in trouble in New Hampshire. A surging Jon Huntsman is poised to pull a possible upset, proving that intense focus on New Hampshire does matter." -- Brett Baier

Iowa Caucuses: <1%
Bachmann: 24.1%
Daniels: 22.8%
Paul: 18.7%
Santorum: 15.7%
Romney: 11.3%
Gingrich: 5.1%
Huntsman: 1.0%
Other: 1.3%

Romney, Santorum, Paul Concede Iowa Caucuses
Gingrich Drops Out, Offers No Endorsement.

Iowa Caucuses: 59%
Daniels: 24.9%
Bachmann: 24.0%
Paul: 18.2%
Santorum: 16.0%
Romney: 11.1%
Gingrich: 4.6%
Huntsman: 0.5%
Other: 0.7%

12:48
DANIELS PROJECTED TO WIN IOWA CAUCUSES

Iowa Caucuses: 81%
Daniels: 25.0%
Bachmann: 24.1%
Paul: 18.0%
Santorum: 16.3%
Romney: 10.9%
Gingrich: 4.4%
Huntsman: 0.5%
Other: 0.8%

Romney Heads Home (To New Hampshire)
"The Former Massachusetts Governor is fighting for his political life as he heads to New Hampshire with the hopes of winning the critical First in the Nation Primary."

New Hampshire Primary: Pre-Iowa
Romney: 31%
Huntsman: 20%
Paul: 19%
Daniels: 18%
Gingrich: 4%
Bachmann: 3%
Santorum: 1%

New Hampshire Primary: Post-Iowa
Romney: 28%
Huntsman: 24%
Daniels: 24%
Paul: 14%
Bachmann: 7%
Santorum: 2%
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:47:41 PM »

YUUUUUS go Mitch Daniels! One of my favorite Governors!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 07:35:30 PM »

Romney Campaigns in NH
"I am the only one in this race who can defeat President Obama in the fall."

Huntsman Goes For Broke
"We need to be a big tent party, one that is inclusive and open to all people and all idea. We are the Republican Party, the party of Lincoln, Roosevelt and Reagan. We did big things, let do those big things again and do them for America!"

The Man to Beat?
"I'm looking not only to unite this party, but unite the country, which has been bitterly divided by President Obama over the last three and a half years. It's time for a new direction and it's time for real change."

New Hampshire Primary: <1%
Huntsman: 27.7%
Romney: 26.3%
Daniels: 25.9%
Paul: 14.0%
Bachmann: 4.1%
Santorum: 1%

"The race is too close to project at this point. Governor Huntsman holds a thin lead over Governor Romney who is fighting for second, with Governor Daniels in third." -- Brett Baier

"If Romney doesn't win New Hampshire, then I don't think his campaign will have any credibility. The winner, whoever it is will have great momentum and will be able to use that in South Carolina and Florida." -- Charles Krauthammer

New Hampshire Primary: 28%
Huntsman: 28.2%
Romney: 25.9%
Daniels: 25.8%
Paul: 13.9%
Bachmann: 3.6%
Santorum: 1.3%
Other: 1.0%

"We project that Governor Huntsman will triumph in the New Hampshire Primary, defeating longtime favorite and frontrunner Mitt Romney." -- Megyn Kelly

"This is a significant setback if not a campaign finisher for Governor Romney." -- Bret Baier

"It's not a question of whether or not Daniels comes in second. Romney is done and this race looks to be between Huntsman, Daniels and Bachmann for the foreseeable future." -- Charles Krauthammer

Santorum Bows Out. Endorses No One, Yet.

Bachmann to Fight Into South Carolina
"I will take the conservative message across this country, barnstorming from state to state and make Barack Obama a one term president!"

Romney's Future Uncertain
Romney congratulated Governor Huntsman, but did not signal his next moves.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 12:54:36 PM »

Romney Rides off into The Sunset
"Mitt Romney ended his bid to become President at a speech
to reporters and supporters in Manchester, NH. Despite narrowly losing
the New Hampshire Primary, the former Massachusetts Governor said, "It
was time to look to November." While he did not endorse any particular
candidate, senior Romney staff say an endorsement
forthcoming."

Republican Presidential Primary Poll:
Daniels: 38%
Huntsman: 22%
Paul: 20%
Bachmann: 17%
Undecided: 3%

"The race is now between Daniels, Huntsman and Bachmann. South Carolina is the real test. The Congresswoman wrote off New Hampshire and has been focusing all her attention down there." -- Brit Hume

"How likely are we to see an endorsement from Governor Nikki Haley?" -- Brett Baier

"Difficult to say. She has remained neutral, despite meeting all the candidates, so it's hard to say." --

BREAKING NEWS:
South Carolina Surprise: Haley Endorses Bachmann
But is it Too Late?

South Carolina Republican Primary: <1%
Daniels: 37.3%
Bachmann: 24.4%
Paul: 19.0%
Huntsman: 17.7%
Other: 1.6%

"We can project that Governor Daniels will win the South Carolina Primary, defeating Congresswoman Bachmann." -- Brett Baier

"At this point the nomination is Daniel's. Huntsman may pose
a threat in Florida, but the mistake he made was concentrating one
hundred of his organization in the state, while the other candidates
setup shop around the country." -- Steve Hayes

Bush Backs Daniels. "America needs Mitch!"

Bachmann Lingers On. "Let's not rush to nominate."

Romney Endorses Daniels
Insiders say he's angling for the VP slot.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 12:59:21 PM »

Huntsman and Daniels kind of fit the same sphere of "Sane" Republicans, with Daniels being a little more conservative, but ultimately, I don't think Huntsman would've ran if Daniels ran or visa versa.

Other than that, great job!
Goodwin
Goodwin45
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:47:05 PM »

This is looking quite good. Any chance of an update?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »

This is looking quite good. Any chance of an update?
Soon.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:46:57 AM »

AP: MITCH DANIELS WINS FLORIDA PRIMARY

Florida Republican Primary: 1%
Daniels: 43.0%
Paul: 22.8%
Huntsman: 19.7%
Bachmann: 14.0%

THE HUNT IS OVER
Despite a victory in the New Hampshire primary, Former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman ended his presidential bid Wednesday morning, backing Governor Mitch Daniels for President. In his statement Huntsman called for the party to rally behind the Indiana Governor and to tackle the big issues and to avoid "wedge issues".

DANIELS PIVOTS TO THE GENERAL
While unofficially the Republican nominee, Mitch Daniels acted like the general election was in full force, starting with a broadside attack against President Obama and his mishandling of the economy. "The President thinks that by shifting the blame to others he can pretend like the economy and its condition is not his doing. This President is fooling no one. With unemployment at 8.3% this President has a record of economic failure and it's time for a new direction."

Nevada Republican Caucuses: <1%
Paul: 44.0%
Daniels: 43.7%
Bachmann: 10.9%

"We cannot project a winner in the Nevada Caucuses. Currently, Congressman Ron Paul holds a narrow lead over Governor Daniels." -- Brett Baier

Nevada Republican Caucuses: 10%
Paul: 44.8%
Daniels: 43.9%
Bachmann: 10.0%

"Does a win for Ron Paul tonight change the dynamics of this race?" -- Megyn Kelly

"I don't think so. Ron Paul is not going to be the nominee. Mitch Daniels has the support of the party establishment and some in the grassroots. I do think that the Daniels people and those in Republican Party should not overlook the importance of Ron Paul and his supporters, especially come the convention time." -- Brit Hume

AP: RON PAUL WINS NEVADA CAUCUSES

Nevada Republican Caucuses: 39%
Paul: 45.4%
Daniels: 44.2%
Bachmann: 9.1%

Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »

Nice to see Condi on the ticket...any map projections?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »

Where was that? Or is this post wishful thinking? Lol.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 06:13:24 PM »

From the top of the page:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

so, if that's not correct, I'm confused....
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »

Check the paragraph under the first Daniels photo.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »

Certainty, or not

Minnesota: Caucuses
Daniels: 52.1%
Paul: 33.5%
Bachmann: 13.4%

Colorado: Caucuses
Daniels: 50.5%
Paul: 34.9%
Bachmann: 14.6%

"Two resounding victories for Governor Daniels tonight. Congressman Ron Paul looked to capitalize on his Nevada win with a followup in either Minnesota or Colorado, but Governor Daniels prevails easily in both caucuses." -- Brett Baier

"Bachmann will be ending her bid fairly soon and Ron Paul is not going anywhere, so at this point Governor Mitch Daniels is going to be the Republican Nominee for President." -- Karl Rove

BACHMANN SUSPENDS BID
"While my campaign ends, the fight must go onto November, so we can win back the White House and make Barack Obama a one term President!"

PAUL LOOKS TO MAINE
"This is a race for delegates, not who can win the most states."

MAINE CAUCUSES:
PAUL: 50.4%
Daniels: 47.2%
Other: 2.4%

AP: RON PAUL WINS MAINE CAUCUSES

THE SPOILER
Paul's win in Maine, upset Daniels' apparently smooth path to the Republican Nomination.

DELEGATES:
Mitch Daniels: 138
Ron Paul: 76

Mitch Daniels: 5/8
Ron Pau: 2/8
Jon Huntsman: 1/8

DANIELS CAMPAIGNS IN ARIZONA

Arizona Primary: 10%
Daniels: 52.0%
Paul: 46.9%

Michigan: 10%
Daniels: 57.1%
Paul: 41.9%

Mitch Daniels: 174
Ron Paul: 99
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 10:27:59 AM »

Mitch Daniels: 209
Daniels: 141

"Super Tuesday looks to be the deciding factor in the race for the Republican Nomination. Governor Daniels continues to lead in all national polls and in most state polls. Will Congressman Paul be able to pull an upset again tonight, or will Mitch Daniels be able to cement his lead as the frontrunner.

DANIELS STATES:
Georgia: 61%-38%
Idaho: 58%-41%
Massachusetts: 67%-32%
North Dakota: 58%-41%
Ohio: 62%-37%
Oklahoma: 60%-39%
Tennessee: 63%-36%
Vermont: 53%-46%
Virginia: 61%-38%

PAUL STATES:
Alaska: 54%-45%