2004: George W. Bush seeks re-election, Gore runs, Kerry does not run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:04:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004: George W. Bush seeks re-election, Gore runs, Kerry does not run
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: 2004: George W. Bush seeks re-election, Gore runs, Kerry does not run  (Read 31203 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:25:44 PM »

April 5, 2003 - Gore launches presidential campaign

Former Vice President Al Gore announced he would be a candidate for President in 2004. Emphasizing ending the war in Iraq and stricter environmental laws, Gore attacked President Bush as "out of touch" with ordinary Americans.

April 10, 2003 - Lieberman endorses Gore

Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut endorsed Al Gore's presidential campaign at a stop in Dover, NH. Lieberman, who had also been considered a possible candidate for his party's presidential nomination, stated that Gore was "a leader with conviction."

May 5, 2003 - Democratic Candidates debate in N.H.

Democratic presidential candidates Al Gore, Howard Dean, Dick Gephardt, and John Edwards participated in the first democratic presidential debate of the 2004 primary season. Each of the candidates pledged to pass a universal health care plan paid for by reversing President Bush's tax cuts. The biggest area of disagreement was on the war in Iraq. Senator Edwards and Congressman Gephardt pledged to continue the war in Iraq with a new strategy, while Mr. Gore and Mr. Dean both spoke out against the war.

July 5, 2003 - CNN Poll gives Gore good news

National Democratic Primary
Al Gore 47%
Dick Gephardt 30%
Howard Dean 15%
John Edwards 7%
Other 1%

N.H. Democratic Primary
Al Gore 40%
Howard Dean 37%
Dick Gephardt 20%
John Edwards 2%
Other 1%

Iowa Democratic Caucus
Al Gore 55%
Dick Gephardt 30%
Howard Dean 10%
John Edwards 4%
Other 1%

September 20, 2003 - Clark enters presidential race

Retired General Wesley Clark announced he would run for the 2004 democratic presidential nomination. Clark told an Arkansas crowd he was "running to beat George Bush, end the war in Iraq, and balance our budget here at home."

October 15, 2003 - CBS Poll: Clark the only democrat who could beat Bush

General Election Match Ups

Wesley Clark 48%
George W. Bush 45%

George W. Bush 51%
Al Gore 40%

George W. Bush 53%
Howard Dean 39%

George W. Bush 53%
Dick Gephardt 38%

George W. Bush 55%
John Edwards 18%

November 1, 2003 - Bradley backs Dean for President

At a campaign stop in New Hampshire, Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley endorsed Howard Dean's presidential campaign, citing Dean's support for gun control and universal health care as factors to why Dean had his support.

November 4, 2003 - Richardson backs Clark

Gov. Bill Richardson, who served as President Bill Clinton's secretary of energy, endorsed Wesley Clark for President, stating that "Wes Clark can beat George W. Bush and end the war in Iraq. Al Gore can not beat Bush."

November 10, 2003 - President Bush launches re-election campaign

President George W. Bush launched his re-election campaign at an event in Dallas, TX along with First Lady Laura Bush, Florida Governor Jeb Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, and Senator John McCain. Bush told the crowd that "our economy is stronger, our people are safer, and we are more united."

November 15, 2003 - Giuliani backs Bush

At an event in New Hampshire, Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani endorsed President George W. Bush's re-election campaign. Giuliani cited President Bush's economic policies and his foreign policy as to why he endorsed him.

Gore wins Iowa Caucus, Clark in close second

Former Vice President Al Gore won the Iowa caucuses, but it was closer than expected as Retired General Wesley Clark was able to garner enough support in recent days to be competitive. Gore's support came primarily from "establishment" democrats, where as Mr. Clark's anti-war campaign caught on

Iowa Caucus Results
Al Gore 34%
Wesley Clark 33%
Dick Gephardt 22%
Howard Dean 6%
John Edwards 4%
Other 1%

Gore wins N.H., Dean ends presidential bid and endorses Gore

Former Vice President Al Gore won New Hampshire's presidential primary with broad support. Howard Dean, Former Governor of neighboring Vermont, managed to gain momentum and dropped out of the presidential race before endorsing Gore the following morning in South Carolina.

N.H. Democratic Primary Results
Al Gore 42%
Howard Dean 30%
Wesley Clark 15%
Dick Gephardt 6%
John Edwards 5%
Other 2%

Clark upsets Gore in S.C., Gephardt & Edwards bow out

Retired General Wesley Clark won a surprise, yet decisive victory in South Carolina's presidential primary, after repeatably telling voters that he was the only democrat who could beat President George W. Bush. Clark's win in South Carolina caused opponents Dick Gephardt and John Edwards to end their campaigns.

S.C. Primary Results
Wesley Clark 47%
Al Gore 25%
John Edwards 20%
Dick Gephardt 7%
Other 1%
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 03:58:29 PM »

Al Gore wins Michigan

Former Vice President Al Gore won Michigan's democratic primary, meaning Gore won 3 of the 4 pre-super tuesday contests. With 100% of precincts reporting, Gore won 55 percent of the vote, to Wesley Clark's 42 percent.

In debate, Clark and Gore exchange attacks

In their first one on one democratic primary debate, Former Vice President Al Gore and Retired General Wesley Clark exchanged attacks. Gore stated that "General Clark is an American hero. But, as a candidate for President, he contradicts statements he previously made. He was all for George W. Bush a few years ago, he praised Bush's national security team, the same team that invaded Iraq." Clark retorted that "Al Gore is part of the democratic party establishment, he can not beat George Bush and he can not unite this country the way I can."

Super Tuesday: Gore wins 10 contests, Clark 4

Former Vice President Al Gore won 10 presidential primaries, while Wesley Clark carried his home state of Arkansas, West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Mississippi. Gore won a series of big prizes, including New York and California.

Clinton backs Gore

At an event in Philadelphia, PA, Former President Bill Clinton endorsed Al Gore's presidential campaign, calling Gore "an experienced leader and a friend of mine who can lead on the issues important to the American people."

February 20, 2004 - Clark withdrawals from presidential race

After a disappointing finish the previous week on Super Tuesday and slipping poll numbers and fundraising nationally, Wesley Clark announced the end of his presidential campaign. "I am so very grateful for all the support you have given me. Together, we will end the war in Iraq, balance our budget, and make sure George W. Bush does not win in November. I have spoken to Vice President Gore, and I told him I'll be enthusiastically supporting him for President" Clark told supporters in Madison, WI.

Al Gore wins democratic presidential nomination

For the second election season in a row, Former Vice President Al Gore won the democratic party's presidential nomination. At a speech in Cleveland, OH, Gore stated his campaign would be about "restoring the american dream" and "ending the war in Iraq." Gore congratulated opponent Wesley Clark and thanked President George W. Bush for a telephone call congratulating him.

Feb. 25, 2004 - ABC Poll shows Bush ahead of Gore nationally, in swing states

Nationally
George W. Bush 48%
Al Gore 44%

Ohio
George W. Bush 49%
Al Gore 41%

Florida
George W. Bush 47%
Al Gore 45%

Pennsylvania
Al Gore 49%
George W. Bush 48%
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:33:11 PM »

this is going to be interesting....
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:28:25 PM »

Clark is so handsome in all the pictures you're using. Keep up the good work.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:33:07 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 01:11:43 AM by dudeabides »

Thank You my friend! Also, thank you badgate!

March 5, 2004 - In speech, Gore outlines 100 days agenda

At an event in Tampa, FL, Former Vice President Al Gore laid out his "100 day agenda". Gore pledged in his first 100 days in office, he would begin withdrawing troops from Iraq. Gore stated that his plan would have all but 10,000 residual forces out of Iraq by December 2005, 11 months after he took office. Gore also said that he would direct his administration to enter the Kyoto environmental treaty, something President Bush opposed. Gore said another priority of his in his first 100 days would be to submit a budget to congress that eliminated the deficit by 2010, in part by reversing President Bush's tax cuts for top income earners and by eliminating corporate loopholes. Gore also pledged to fight to extend health insurance to every child in America and to extend the ban on assault weapons during his first 100 days in office.

April 10, 2004 - Republicans join Bush for first swing state bus tour of 2004 campaign

President George W. Bush was joined by Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), FMR. Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY), Gov. Jeb Bush (R-FL), and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) on a bus tour which included stops in Ohio, Wisconsin, and Iowa. It was Bush's first bus tour of the 2004 campaign season.

April 25, 2004 - Report: Bush to drop Cheney in favor of McCain, Giuliani, or Frist

A source close to the white house stated that President George W. Bush was considering replacing Vice President Dick Cheney on the GOP ticket. The source stated that initially, Bush was advised to keep Cheney on the ticket, as he would look weak without Cheney. However, confident Bush would win with or without Cheney on the ticket, Cheney stated he wanted to take care of his health as opposed to being vice president for a second term.

May 2, 2004 - President Bush talks second term agenda at Ohio event

At an event in Lebanon, OH, President George W. Bush spoke about what his second term agenda would be while touting his first term accomplishments. Stating that "America is safer, and the tax cuts we passed have led to a strong economic recovery", Bush stated that victory in Iraq, social security reform, immigration reform, energy independence, and renewing the Bush tax cuts would be his top priorities of a second term.

May 20, 2004 - Gore: Iraq "Bush's war"

Former Vice President and 2004 democratic presidential nominee Al Gore stated that the war in Iraq was "Bush's war." Gore stated that "I opposed the invasion of Iraq and want to bring our troops home because the fact of the matter is, this is Bush's war, Americans did not ask for this war."

Giuliani: Gore wrong to call Iraq "Bush's war"

Former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani stated that "Al Gore's insertion that Iraq is President Bush's war is wrong and frankly, irresponsible and stupid."

May 22, 2004 - Gore: Wrong to call Iraq "Bush's war", but I still oppose the war in Iraq

Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore apologized for calling the war in Iraq "Bush's war" but again stated he opposed the war and felt Bush had misled the nation.

June 15, 2004 - Poll finds Cheney, Clinton favorites for V.P.

Democrats V.P. Preference
Hillary Clinton 51%
Wesley Clark 25%
Evan Bayh 10%
Joe Lieberman 5%
Tom Harkin 4%
John Kerry 3%
Dick Gephardt 1%
Other 1%

GOP V.P. Preference
Dick Cheney 34%
Rudy Giuliani 30%
John McCain 25%
Bill Frist 6%
Other 5%

July 1, 2004 - Cheney announces retirement

At a press conference in Washington D.C., Vice President Dick Cheney announced his intention to retire after his first term as Vice President expired. "Serving this great nation for the past 4 years has been the honor of a lifetime. However, I would like to spend more time with my family" Cheney stated.

July 15, 2004 - Bush announces suprise V.P. pick

At an event in Cleveland, OH, President George W. Bush announced that National Security Advisor Condi Rice would be his choice for a running-mate. "Condi Rice has the judgement and knowledge of a wide variety of issues. She will be a Vice President who will help me lead this nation during an hour of great challenge, yet great opportunity." Rice stated that "It is my honor to be standing here with President George W. Bush, whose policies have secured our homeland and revived our economy." Rice also announced her resignation as National Security Advisor.

July 16, 2004 - Bush nominates King to succeed Rice

President George W. Bush nominated New York Congressman Peter King to replace Condi Rice as National Security Advisor.

August 1, 2004 - Gore announces V.P. pick

At an event in Sarasota, FL, Democratic Presidential Nominee Al Gore announced his selection of Senator Bob Graham of Florida for Vice President. Gore called Graham "an experienced leader who can help me help the American people." Graham stated that "Al Gore is the kind of leader America needs, his experience will come in handy during a time of great challenge for our country."

August 15, 2004 - RNC, DNC Convention schedules announced

DNC

Night #1
Keynote address by Retired General Wesley Clark
Senator Hillary Clinton
Tipper Gore
House Majority Leader Dick Gephardt
Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean
Sen. John Edwards
NY Attorney General Andrew Cuomo
Rev. Al Sharpton

Night #2
Senator Joe Lieberman
Governor Bill Richardson
Senator Jon Corzine
Senator Tom Daschle
Senator Russ Feingold

Night # 3
Former Secretary of State Madeline Albright
Former U.S. Senator Gary Hart
Former Vice President Walter Mondale
Former President Jimmy Carter
Introduction of V.P. nominee Bob Graham by Senator Bill Nelson
Senator Bob Graham V.P. acceptance speech

Night # 4
Governor Mark Warner
Senator Evan Bayh
Senator John Kerry
Introduction of Al Gore by Former President Bill Clinton
Former Vice President Al Gore acceptance speech

RNC

Night #1
Keynote address by Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani
Governor George Pataki
Former Governor Tom Kean Sr.
Senator Orin Hatch
House Speaker Dennis Hassert

Night #2
Former President George H.W. Bush
Senator Zell Miller
Former Mayor Ed Koch
Governor Mike Huckabee
Former Rep. JC Watts
Congressman Eric Cantor

Night #3
Congressman John Boehner
Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn
Senator Bill Frist
Mayor Michael Bloomberg
Larry Kudlow
Introduction to Condi Rice by Liz Cheney
Condi Rice V.P. acceptance speech

Night #4
Senator John McCain
Governor Jeb Bush
Former Rep. JC Watts
First Lady Laura Bush
Introduction to President George W. Bush by Former Senator Fred Thompson
President George W. Bush acceptance speech

September 1, 2004 - Bush, Gore in tight race according to CNN Poll

CNN National Poll
George W. Bush 48%
Al Gore 46%

Ohio - went for Bush in 2000
George W. Bush 49%
Al Gore 44%

Florida - went for Bush in 2000
Al Gore 48%
George W. Bush 46%

Pennsylvania - went for Gore in 2000
Al Gore 48%
George W. Bush 44%

Colorado - went for Bush in 2000
George W. Bush 49%
Al Gore 45%

Iowa - went for Gore in 2000
Al Gore 47%
George W. Bush 44%

Tennessee - went for Bush in 2000
George W. Bush 50%
Al Gore 39%

New Hampshire - went for Bush in 2000
Al Gore 49%
George W. Bush 42%

Nevada - went for Bush in 2000
George W. Bush 46%
Al Gore 46%

New Mexico - went for Gore in 2000
George W. Bush 45%
Al Gore 45%

September 5, 2004 - President Bush touts economy, foreign policy as top issues

Speaking to a crowd of roughly 2,000 in Denver, CO, President George W. Bush emphasized the economy and foreign policy as top campaign issues. "Our mission is to continue to restore this economy. For the past two years, we've seen more Americans find work as a result of the tax cuts and free trade agreements we've put in place. At the same time, we have made progress in Iraq, and I have made protecting the American people my top priority. The choice in this election is to move forward in unity and with confidence, or to retreat in the face of danger and raise taxes by $500 billion here at home" Bush stated.

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 11:51:46 AM by dudeabides »

September 15, 2004 - Gore: 2004 a referendum on Iraq

Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore stated that the 2004 election would be a choice on the war in Iraq. "Look, I understand that providing health care to every child in America, combating global warming, renewing the assault weapons ban, and fighting our enemies abroad are all important issues, and I will fight for those issues. But, the biggest choice between President Bush and myself is on Iraq. I'll end the war during my first year in office, he'll continue to war beyond his second term in office" Gore stated at an event in central Ohio.

September 18, 2004 - President Bush attacks Gore on Iraq, taxes

At an event in Denver, CO, President George W. Bush attacked Former Vice President Al Gore on the war in Iraq and tax policy. "My opponent would have left Iraq the way it was. We liberated 25 million people, but my opponent says we were wrong to do so. His lack of judgement on this crucial issue tells us that he is not ready to lead this nation" Bush said. On taxes, Bush also attacked Mr. Gore, stating that "4 years ago, my opponent proposed cutting taxes on only "the right people", today he proposes a $1 trillion tax increase on businesses and capital gains in America, this is irresponsible and would hurt the economic recovery."

September 22, 2004 - Gore pledges universal health care by 2009

At an event in Madison, WI, Democratic Presidential Nominee Al Gore promised to pass a "universal health insurance program by 2009." Gore pledged that the plan would go into effect in less than a decade, but admitted it would require a democratic majority in congress.

September 27, 2004 - McCain: Gore contradicts himself on Iraq

Campaigning on behalf of President George W. Bush in southeastern Pennsylvania, Senator John McCain attacked Al Gore on Iraq. "Vice President Gore once attacked the President's father for not toppling Saddam Hussein. A few years later, he urged us in the senate to vote to punish Saddam. But, during a democratic primary in 2003 and this year, Mr. Gore changed his position. We can not afford to have a leader who plays politics with our security" McCain stated.

October 1, 2004 - Gingrich,Kerry helped nomines in debate prep

Senator John Kerry and Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich spent the past two months as stand-ins for their parties respective presidential nominees ahead of the three scheduled presidential debates. Gingrich stated that President Bush was "eager to debate the issues" while Kerry stated Al Gore "was confident" looking ahead to the debates.

The debates:
October 10 #1 Presidential Debate on domestic policy - Denver, CO
October 14 Vice Presidential Debate - Montclair, NJ
October 19 #2 Presidential Debate on foreign policy - Cleveland, OH
October 27 #3 Presidental Debate, town hall format - St. Louis, MO

October 10, 2004 - Bush, Gore have first debate on domestic policy

At their first of three presidential debates in Nashville, TN, President George W. Bush and Former Vice President Al Gore debated domestic policy. Here are some of the highlights from the first debate;

On the economy:

Bush:"This economy is strong. We have the lowest unemployment rate in nearly 4 years today. People are finding work, we've added over a million jobs in the past 13 months alone following the recession. The tax relief is working, we are beginning to see increases in revenue and job growth. Our policies with regards to trade are working, we've embraced free trade so America can compete in a global economy. Home ownership is on the rise, minority home ownership in particular has reached historic levels. Over the next 4 years, we are going to continue to keep taxes low, we are going to pass tort reform, and we'll continue to open up our markets so America can compete in a global economy."

Gore: "President Bush has the worst economic record of any President since the great depression, jobs are being shipped overseas, and incomes are falling. I have a better plan. First, we'll invest in infrastructure again. We'll also embrace tax credits for green technology, we can protect our environment, make our country independent of foreign sources of energy, and we can create jobs. We'll also pass a universal health insurance bill so our businesses no longer have to worry about the cost of health care. I'll also fight to cut taxes on small business and cut the payroll tax for workers. The future of our economy relies on our embrace of technology and updating our outdated infrastructure. I also support free trade, but we need to make sure we are competitive by making it easier to add jobs here at home."

On health care:

Bush: "My opponent has proposed a government-run health care plan which will cost the taxpayers $1.5 trillion over ten years. It's paid for by $1.2 trillion in new taxes. That still does not pay for his nearly $2 trillion in new federal spending over the next decade. I've put forth a plan to reform our health care system by allowing folks to buy health care across state lines, to enact tax deductions for health care, and by enacting tort reform. My opponent's plan will raise taxes and diminish the quality of the care in America."

Gore: "First of all, its laughable this President would call me fiscally irresponsible, we now have the largest national debt in U.S. history under this President. What does he do on health care, he does nothing. Millions of Americans have lost their health insurance under this President. My plan is paid for by reversing the tax cuts for the wealthy. Also, my plan is a voucher system, it's not government run health care, that is a scare tactic President Bush and his supporters like Rudy Giuliani and John McCain have used."

On the national debt

Bush: "I have proposed a plan to reduce our national debt in half in 4 years. The best way to do so is to keep taxes low and open up our markets so we can grow this economy. The tax relief we've passed has actually increased the amount of money the treasury has gotten. This is a real choice: we can either cut taxes, grow the economy, and balance the budget by 2010, or we can raise taxes, increase federal spending, and slow the recovery under my opponent's vision."

Gore:"President Clinton and I balanced the budget and reduced the deficit in half during the same amount of time this President has created the largest debt in our history. I want to roll back the President's tax cuts for the top 1% of earners, and I want to close the corporate loopholes that have plagued our tax code for too long. I want to balance the federal budget every year, my plan does so by 2007, President Bush's plan does not do so until 2010."

CNN Poll: Who won the 1st debate?
Al Gore 46%
George W. Bush 41%

October 11, 2004 - Giuliani: Gore proved he's fiscally irresponsible & wrong in debate

Former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani, campaigning on behalf of President George W. Bush in Miami Gardens, FL, stated that the first presidential debate proved "Al Gore is fiscally irresponsible. He wants to pass socialized medicine, he wants to increase taxes on job creators, and he wants to spend money we don't have."

Clark: Gore won an important debate victory

At a Gore/Graham event in North Carolina, Retired General and Former Presidential Hopeful Wesley Clark stated that "Al Gore made the case last night that America needs a leader with the experience to change Washington. I felt Al Gore won an important debate victory last night."

October 12, 2004 - CBS Poll: Bush, Gore still in close race

National
George W. Bush 47%
Al Gore 46%

Ohio
George W. Bush 48%
Al Gore 47%

Florida
George W. Bush 46%
Al Gore 46%

Pennsylvania
Al Gore 47%
George W. Bush 45%

Tennessee
George W. Bush 48%
Al Gore 44%

New Mexico
Al Gore 46%
George W. Bush 45%

Iowa
Al Gore 46%
George W. Bush 44%

Nevada
George W. Bush 46%
Al Gore 45%

New Hampshire
Al Gore 47%
George W. Bush 43%

Colorado
George W. Bush 49%
Al Gore 43%
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »

This looks great. What's going on with the Senate races. Is Obama still running?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 12:14:26 PM »

This looks great. What's going on with the Senate races. Is Obama still running?
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »

Go Bush/Rice 2004!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 10:28:41 AM »

Yes, that will come later though, I'm continuing this until 2013.

October 14, 2004 - In Vice Presidential debate, Rice & Graham talk a variety of issues

GOP Vice Presidential nominee Condi Rice and Democratic Vice Presidential nominee Bob Graham debated a series of issues during their 90 minute vice presidential debate. Here are a few highlights;

On Iraq:

Rice: "President Bush and I believe that training the Iraqis to take control over their own security and stabilizing the region is the key role of the U.S. over the next 4 years. We don't anticipiate being in Iraq forever, but setting a timeline for withdrawal would be disastrous and wrong for America. Frankly, Iraq is not a political issue, its an issue over the type of world we we leave for future generations."

Graham: "Al Gore and I opposed the war in Iraq from the start because we felt that George Bush and the administration were pushing our country to go to war. I saw no evidence, no compelling evidence, that Saddam Hussein posed a threat to America. George Bush, Condi Rice, and the republicans decided that we should go into Iraq as a detour from the real war. Al Gore and I will have our troops out of Iraq, with the exception of some residual forces, by the end of our first year in office."

On education

Rice: "President Bush has fought for accountability in our schools and for greater school choice for those whose children are in failing schools. We have closed the achievement gap in education, No Child Left Behind has made a substancial difference for many of our young people. Over the next 4 years, we will continue to push for choice and accountability so our children can compete in the 21st century."

Graham: "I am a supporter of some of the concepts in No Child Left Behind, I agree with accountability. So does Al Gore. What we disagree with is that this administration is forcing states to fund No Child Left Behind despite the law being a federal law. Al Gore and I will introduce a budget to congress which funds this program, and we'll also fight for smaller class sizes and an emphasis on reading and math in our schools."

On abortion

Rice: "As most people watching know, President Bush and I have different views on abortion, so far as legality is concerned. However, both of us believe that every human life is precious. We believe that the partial-birth abortion ban President Bush signed into law is crucial in our society. We also believe that adoption is a great thing, we ought to encourage adoption in our society."

Graham: "President Bush has made our justice department into activists for his pro-life position. Al Gore and I will fight to preserve and protect a woman's right to have an abortion. We believe that partial-birth abortion is wrong, but we also believe that despite whatever our personal views are, a woman has a legal right to an abortion and unlike President Bush, we won't stand in the way of that."

On tax cuts

Rice: "President Bush's tax cuts have given relief to every single American taxpayer. The tax cuts have cut taxes on income, capital gains, and on businesses across America. As a result, we've seen a recovery in which over 1.2 million Americans have found work in the past year alone. We've seen unemployment drop to some of the lowest levels in 4 years. Al Gore's plan will increase taxes on businesses and investment right at a time when our economy is growing."

Graham: "President Bush's tax cuts have been beneficial to the top 1% of taxpayers. Corporate interests have been protected under this President's massive tax cuts which are costing us $1.2 trillion. Al Gore and I want to give a tax cut to 98% of Americans by cutting payroll taxes, and we want to give tax refunds to small businesses. But in order to pay for priorities and balance our budget, we want to roll back the tax cuts for the top 1% of income earners in favor of the 98%."

Who won the V.P. debate CNN poll
Condi Rice 45%
Bob Graham 39%

October 19, 2004 - Bush, Gore debate foreign policy

In their second debate on foreign policy, President George W. Bush and Former Vice President Al Gore exchanged back and forth's. Pledging to end the war in Iraq by the end of 2005, repeal the USAPatriot Act, and join the Kyoto Treaty, Al Gore stated that he "had the experience to lead" and that President Bush had "misled America into war." President Bush, by contrast, pledged "victory" in Iraq, to continue to beef-up homeland security, and to continue to build strong alliances. Bush stated that he had "been a decisive leader at a challenging hour" where as Mr. Gore had "changed positions and played politics with national security."

Who won foreign policy debate CBS poll
George W. Bush 52%
Al Gore 39%

In final debate, Bush and Gore make their cases

In their final town hall style debate, President Bush and Vice President Gore made their cases to the American people. "America has been through a lot these past 4 years. Our economy is recovering. Our people are safer. We are more united. We will move forward with unity, confidence, and hope in the future of America" President Bush stated. "It's time for leadership that tells you the truth. 4 years ago, Americans supported George W. Bush. I'm asking for your vote because I think it's time we have experienced, tested leadership. It's time we move in a direction where everything, and anything is possible. I think its time we end the war in Iraq and focus on defending this country and renewing our commitment to families here at home" Al Gore stated.

Who won the third debate Fox News Poll
Al Gore 45%
George W. Bush 44%

November 2, 2004 - President Bush holds final rally in Ohio

Along with First Lady Laura Bush, their daughters, Governor Jeb Bush of Florida, Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Senator John McCain of Arizona, and Senator Bill Frist of Tennessee, President George W. Bush held his final rally of the 2004 campaign season in Columbus, OH. "Over the next 4 years, we will continue to make sure our economic policies are in place so more Americans find work. We'll continue to protect the homeland, and we'll continue to secure victory in Iraq" Bush told the crowd of roughly 2,000.

Gore holds finally rally with Clinton, Lieberman in Florida

Former Vice President Al Gore held his final campaign rally alongside his wife, children, Former President Bill Clinton, and Senator Joe Lieberman in Tampa, FL. "Today, you have the power to end the war in Iraq. You have the power to provide health care to every single American. You have the power to take on the climate crisis once and for all. Today, I'm asking for your vote" Gore stated.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 03:22:13 PM »

November 2, 2004 - Election Night 2004

6:00 PM
Indiana - Bush 58% Gore 41%
Kentucky - Bush 55% Gore 44%

7:00 PM
Florida - Too Close to Call
Georgia - Bush 59% Gore 40%
New Hampshire - Too Close to Call
South Carolina - Bush 56% Gore 43%
Vermont - Gore 66% Bush 33%
Virginia - Too Close to Call

7:30 PM
North Carolina - Too Close to Call
Ohio - Too Close to Call
West Virginia - Too early to call, Bush leads

7:42 PM
West Virginia - called for Bush; Bush 57% Gore 42%

8:00 PM
Alabama - Bush 60% Gore 39%
Connecticut - Gore 57% Bush 42%
Delaware - Gore 62% Bush 37%
D.C. - Gore 88% Bush 11%
Florida - Too Close to Call
Illinois - Gore 60% Bush 39%
Kansas - Bush 62% Gore 37%
Maine - Gore 54% Bush 45%
Maryland - Gore 59% Bush 40%
Massachusetts - Gore 64% Bush 35%
Michigan - Too Early to Call
Mississippi - Bush 65% Gore 34%
Missouri - Too Close To Call
New Jersey - Too Close to Call
Oklahoma - Bush 71% Gore 28%
Pennsylvania - Too Close to Call
Tennessee - Too Close to Call

8:02 PM - North Carolina goes for Bush
Bush 52% Gore 47%

8:30
Arkansas - Bush 55% Gore 44%

8:33 PM - New Jersey goes for Gore
Gore 55% Bush 44%

8:42 PM - Michigan goes for Gore
Gore 56% Bush 43%

8:44 PM - Virginia goes for Bush
Bush 53% Gore 46%

8:52 PM - Gore wins PA
Gore 53% Bush 46%

9:00 PM
Arizona - Bush 57% Gore 42%
Colorado - Too Close to Call
Louisiana - Bush 59% Gore 40%
Minnesota - Gore 55% Bush 44%
Nebraska - Bush 60% Gore 39%
New York - Gore 64% Bush 35%
Rhode Island - Gore 71% Bush 28%
South Dakota - Bush 62% Gore 37%
Texas - Bush 67% Gore 32%
Wisconsin - Too Close to Call
Wyoming - Bush 77% Gore 22%

9:27 PM - Bush wins Colorado
Bush 53% Gore 46%

9:33 PM - Gore carries WI, NH
NH: Gore 53% Bush 46%
WI: Gore 52% Bush 47%

10:00 PM
Idaho - Bush 70% Gore 29%
Iowa - Too Close to Call
Montana - Too Early to Call
Nevada - Too Close to Call
Oregon - Gore 54% Bush 45%
Utah - Bush 67% Gore 32%

10:07 PM - Bush wins Missouri
Bush 54% Gore 45%

10:09 PM - Bush wins Montana
Bush 56% Gore 43%

10:42 PM - Gore wins Pennsylvania
Gore 52% Bush 47%

11:00 PM
California - Gore 57% Bush 42%
Hawaii - Gore 70% Bush 29%
North Dakota - Bush 66% Gore 33%
Washington - Gore 59% Bush 40%

11:12 PM - Bush wins Iowa (Gore won IA in 2000)
Bush 52% Gore 47%

11:27 PM - Bush wins Nevada
Bush 53% Gore 46%

12:00 AM
Alaska - Bush 60% Gore 39%

12:00 AM - Gore wins New Mexico
Gore 51% Bush 48%

12:12 AM - Bush wins Tennessee
Bush 52% Gore 47%

2:25 AM - Bush wins Ohio
Bush 51% Gore 48%

8:33 AM - Bush wins Florida
Bush 52% Gore 47%

November 3, 2004 8:35 AM EST - AP: President Bush wins re-election

November 3, 2004 9:15 AM - Gore concedes defeat

At a rally in Nashville, TN, Former Vice President Al Gore conceded the 2004 presidential election to President George W. Bush. "The American people have spoken. I respect the outcome of this election. A few moments ago, I congratulated President George W. Bush on being re-elected. I wished him, Laura, and their entire team well. I stand here today as someone who has been especially lucky to be an American. For eight years, you gave me the honor to serve as Vice President. Today, I remain grateful as always for that opportunity. I hope moving forward, we can continue to stand up for the things we believe in. This campaign was about giving voice to those who lacked a voice. We must continue to fight for the values we believe in."

November 3, 2004 10:30 AM - President Bush accepts victory

"I'd like to first of all take this opportunity to thank Vice President Gore and his supporters for waging a spirited campaign. They have our respect, and our best wishes. I'd also like to thank Vice President Cheney for his friendship and service to our nation. The American people have spoken, and Condi Rice and I are humbled by the trust you have given us. Americans are a resilient people. We have come back from a recession and a day of horror. Today, we are stronger and more united than we have ever been. Over the next 4 years, I will work every moment of every day ensuring that Americans are safer, prosperous, and proud."

Final Vote

George W. Bush / Condi Rice (R) 52% 282 EV
Al Gore / Bob Graham (D) 47% 256 EV
Other 1%
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »

Great job dudabides! This is EPIC!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 04:37:21 PM »

Thank You my friend! More to come as well.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 05:04:08 PM »

Not bad, but you have some states that are way too democrat or republican for a close race (Washington, Wyoming, North Dakota, for example).

And that's basically 2004 RL map, so no changes..
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »

Not bad, but you have some states that are way too democrat or republican for a close race (Washington, Wyoming, North Dakota, for example).

And that's basically 2004 RL map, so no changes..

Thank You

Bush does better in GOP states and Gore carries New Mexico which he did in 2000. Gore also takes NH unlike 2000, Bush takes Iowa which he failed to do in 2000. The point is really Bush wins by five points but with a similar map.

November 12, 2004 - Rumsfeld to retire

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld announced his retirement after meeting with President George W. Bush.

November 27, 2004 - Powell announces retirement

Secretary of State Collin Powell announced he would retire as opposed to serving as secretary of state during President George W. Bush's second term.

December 1, 2004 - Bush nominates McCain for Secretary of State

President George W. Bush nominated Senator John McCain to be secretary of state at the white house. "John McCain has served his country in uniform and in the United States Senate. For two decades, he has been a leader not only in the senate, but also on the world stage. People across the world respect John's experience, courage, and knowledge of foreign policy issues" Bush stated.

December 10, 2004 - Bush nominates Wolfowitz for Defense Secretary, Liz Cheney to succeed Wolfowitz

President George W. Bush nominated Assistant Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz to succeed Donald Rumseld as Defense Secretary, calling Wolfowitz "the best qualified candidate" and "someone of character, judgement, and intelligence." Bush also nominated Liz Cheney, who had worked in the state department, to be assistant secretary of defense.

January 2, 2005 - Bush taps Romney to lead World Bank

President George W. Bush tapped Governor and Businessman Mitt Romney to be chairman of the World Bank, calling Romney "an experienced businessman and government official."

January 20, 2005 - Bush, Rice sworn in

President George W. Bush was sworn in for a second term, and Condi Rice was sworn in as Vice President. In his inaugural address, President Bush declared that "America is stronger, more united, and more prosperous. However, more work needs to be done to ensure every single American is able to reach their full potential. We must rid the world of evil and protect what is good and decent."

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »

The map is RL 2004 with NM going for Bush.

I hate Bush Cabinet. But I like the Timeline Wink
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »

Thanks. Without giving too much away, there is a good chance the cabinet will change after 2009.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »

Thanks. Without giving too much away, there is a good chance the cabinet will change after 2009.

Well, there will be a new administration in 2009, right? Tongue
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 12:40:14 AM »

Well, there will be a new administration in 2009, right? Tongue

Yes haha

January 28, 2005 - Pres. Bush delivers state of the union, announces Iraq surge

During his first state of the union address since being re-elected, President George W. Bush spoke about a variety of issues. President Bush announced that "America is making progress in Iraq. But, there is more work to be done. Therefore, I'm announcing tonight that we will be sending 25,000 additional combat forces into Iraq within the next three months." Bush also called on congress to pass his budget, to pass comprehensive immigration reform, and to deal with social security, medicare, tort reform, and energy independence.

Sen. John Kerry gives democratic response to Bush speech

Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts responded to President George W. Bush's 2005 state of the union address, calling on President Bush to "level" with the public on Iraq, to put forth a plan to reform the nation's health care system, and to work with democrats to expand veteran's health care. Kerry did state that he "was happy President Bush is willing to work with democrats on immigration reform."

March 1, 2005 - Pres. Bush signs "Energy Independence Act" into law

After weeks of working with democrats and republicans in congress, President George W. Bush signed a comprehensive energy plan into law. The law created $40 billion in "green" tax credits while de-regulating drilling on federal lands for oil.

May 21, 2005 - Secretary of State McCain: U.S. in Iraq for "as long as it takes"

Secretary of State John McCain that the U.S. would remain in Iraq "as long as it takes" in his judgement. "I doubt the war will remain for long, but a U.S. presence will remain in Iraq as long as it takes as it relates to security and stability."

May 25, 2005 - Pres. Bush signs Kerry-Hatch veterans health care bill into law

President Bush signed a bi-partisan veterans health care law which allocates $30 billion over 10 years towards increased veterans health care coverage and opens up more community health centers for veterans across the United States.

June 1, 2005 - Kerry: Bush needs to answer questions on Iraq

Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, the ranking democrat on the senate foreign relations committee, declared that on Iraq, "President Bush needs to answer security concerns and tell us when he plans to withdrawal."

June 15, 2005 - Pres. Bush: Iraq War will likely be over by the end of my second term

President George W. Bush stated that the surge of 25,000 U.S. forces in Iraq was "working" and that the war "would, in all likelihood, be over by 2009."

July 27, 2005 - President Bush nominates Hillary Clinton to be HUD Secretary

To the disappointment of many in his own party, President George W. Bush nominated Senator Hillary Clinton of New York to be Secretary of HUD. "Hillary Clinton has the experience to lead HUD. Her expertise in both real estate, law, and issues facing families make her an ideal candidate to lead HUD."

August 1, 2005 - Report: V.P. Rice pressures Pataki to pick Rudy for senate

After President George W. Bush nominated Hillary Clinton to lead HUD, Vice President Condi Rice urged New York Governor George Pataki to appoint Former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani to the senate seat. Rice argued Giuliani would fair best in a special election.

August 12, 2005 - After Hillary's confirmation, Pataki appoints Giuliani

Governor George Pataki of New York appointed Rudy Giuliani to fill the vacant U.S. Senate seat of Secretary of HUD Hillary Clinton.

August 17, 2005 - Democrat Sharpton announces senate bid

Rev. Al Sharpton announced he would challenge Rudy Giuliani in the 2005 special U.S. Senate election.

November 8, 2005 - Election Results

New Jersey Gubernatorial
Jon Corzine (D) 52%
Doug Forester (R) 46%
Other 2%

Virginia Gubernatorial
Tim Kaine (D) 50%
Jim Kilgore (R) 49%
Other 1%

New York U.S. Senate special election
Rudy Giuliani (R) 62%
Al Sharpton (D) 30%
Other 8%

New York City Mayoral
Michael Bloomberg (R) 59%
Fernando Ferrer (D) 40%
Other 1%

December 1, 2005 - HUD Secretary Clinton: Increase affordable housing funding by $5 billion over 8 years

Secretary of HUD Hillary Clinton called on congress to authorize $5 billion in HUD funding for affordable housing. Clinton stated that over the past decade, HUD's affordable housing programs had brought down the levels of homelessness, but that more funding was needed.

December 15, 2005 - Pres. Bush signs executive order increasing border patrol agents

President George W. Bush signed an executive order increasing the number of border patrol agents at the U.S.-Mexican border. "Congress has failed to act on the issue of border security. So, I will use the power vested in me as President to send more agents to secure our border."
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 08:03:22 AM »

Pretty clear Kerry has become the leader of our party, and a good leader, BTW Smiley

I'm upset Clinton has decided not to run in 2008, and instead becoming a Bush official... Someone other than Sharpton should run against Giuliani, that race is pretty winnable.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »

Pretty clear Kerry has become the leader of our party, and a good leader, BTW Smiley

I'm upset Clinton has decided not to run in 2008, and instead becoming a Bush official... Someone other than Sharpton should run against Giuliani, that race is pretty winnable.

Thanks for the feedback, always helpful!

1) Kerry is one of the leaders of the democratic party for sure
2) Clinton COULD end up doing what Huntsman did, but she could always run in 2012 or 2016
3) On short notice, Sharpton was the only one to challenge Giuliani. Stay tuned for 2006.

January 10, 2006 - Bush approval hits low of 44%

According to a CBS News poll, President George W. Bush's approval ratings hit 44%, the lowest of his presidency. Most analysts cite the failure of Mr. Bush to sign a social security reform bill and his response to Hurricane Katrina as leading factors for the polling low.

January 25, 2006 - Bush: Congress needs to make the tax relief permanent

President George W. Bush called on congress to "make the tax cuts of 2001 and 2003 permanent to continue economic growth and keep tax rates low on all Americans."

Feb. 1, 2006 - John Kerry, Russ Feingold propose alternative tax cut

Senators John Kerry (D-MA) and Russ Feingold (D-WI) proposed a $500 billion tax cut which would eliminate the alternate minimum tax, cut payroll taxes, and reduce income taxes on the bottom two tax brackets. The plan also reversed the Bush tax cuts.

Feb. 2, 2006 - Wes Clark: Congress should pass my tax cut

2004 presidential candidate and Retired General Wesley Clark said that congress should pass the tax cut he proposed during the 2004 campaign. "My tax cut would eliminate income taxes on those making below $50,000 while cutting income taxes by 15% on middle class Americans and cutting our corporate tax rate from 35% down to 28%, paid for by rolling back the President's tax cuts for the rich" Clark stated on CNN's Situation Room.

Feb.10, 2006 - Congress makes Bush tax cuts permanent

Congress voted to extend all of President George W. Bush's tax cuts.

Feb. 20, 2006 - Wolfowitz: U.S. out of Iraq by 2008

Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz declared that U.S. military action in Iraq "would be ending by 2008."

Feb. 25, 2006 - Clark: Withdrawal from Iraq within 10 months, surge in Afghanistan needed

Retired General Wesley Clark declared that "I'm glad the United States is going to be leaving Iraq by 2008, I would urge the administration to withdrawal sooner. I also believe this administration's failure to focus on Afghanistan has resulted in a worsening security situation there. In my judgement, we need to send in more troops to Afghanistan, I'd say 20,000."

March 5, 2006 - Poll released on 2008 election from CNN

Democratic Nomination
Wesley Clark 37%
Howard Dean 20%
Carol Mousely-Braun 15%
Richard Gephardt 12%
John Kerry 10%
Other 4%
Mark Warner 2%

GOP Nomination
Condi Rice 40%
Rudy Giuliani 25%
Mike Huckabee 10%
Sam Brownback 9%
Jim Gilmore 6%
George Allen 5%
Fred Thompson 3%
Other 2%

General Election

Wesley Clark 49%
Condi Rice 42%

Wesley Clark 46%
Rudy Giuliani 44%

Howard Dean 47%
Condi Rice 45%

Rudy Giuliani 45%
Howard Dean 44%

April 5, 2006 - Bush signs tort reform into law

President George W. Bush signed a law reforming the nations tort regulations as it relates to health care.

July 1, 2006 - Bush calls on congress to pass Graham-Kennedy Immigration Reform

President George W. Bush called on congress to pass the Graham-Kennedy comprehensive immigration reform bill which builds a border fence, establishes a temporary worker program, and creates a pathway to citizenship for those in the U.S. illegally.

July 10, 2006 - Poll: Americans oppose Graham-Kennedy, Bush approval hits new low

A new poll from CBS news shows that only 35% of Americans favor "comprehensive" immigration reform, and that only 39% approve of the job performance of President George W. Bush.

August 1, 2006 - Congress votes down Graham-Kennedy immigration reform

Congress voted won the comprehensive immigration reform proposal put forth by Sens. Lindsay Graham (R-SC) and Ted Kennedy (D-MA).

August 20, 2006 - Pres. Bush hits trail for GOP candidates in Texas, Arizona

President George W. Bush hit the campaign trail for GOP candidates in Texas and Arizona, calling on Americans to "elect republicans so we can continue to grow this economy and protect our country whatever it takes."

August 25, 2006 - Clark hits trail for democrats in Iowa, New Hampshire

Retired General Wesley Clark hit the campaign trail on behalf of democratic candidates in Iowa and New Hampshire. "Under George Bush, Americans have lost their health insurance, we are shipping jobs overseas, and we are less respected in the world" Clark proclaimed. "It's time for this country to focus on restoring our image globally and restoring our economy locally" Clark stated at one event in Iowa.

September 1, 2006 - Despite possible '08 rivalry, Huckabee endorses Giuliani for senate

Despite being possible rivals for the 2008 GOP presidential nomination, Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, RGA Chairman, endorsed Rudy Giuliani for U.S. Senate at an event outside Albany, NY. "Rudy has the experience and the credibility to be an effective senator, he has already been an effective senator, mayor, and prosecutor."

October 7, 2006 - In NY Senate debate, Giuliani says no to 2008 presidential run
In their first of three U.S. Senate debates, Senator Rudy Giuliani (R) and challenger Congressman Steve Israel debate a variety of issues. Giuliani pledged to serve in the U.S. Senate for another 6 years, stating "Despite popular belief, I will not be running for President in 2008. I will serve in the U.S. Senate for the next six years."

November 7, 2006 - Giuliani wins in NY, Democrats regain control of senate, GOP barely keeps house
The democratic regained it's majority in the U.S. Senate, but fell short of winning a majority in the U.S. House. Victories by Bob Casey of Pennsylvania, Jon Tester of Montana, Claire McCaskill of Missouri, Sherrod Brown of Ohio, Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island, and Jim Webb of Virginia helped the democratic party regain control of the U.S. Senate. Meanwhile, in New York, Rudy Giuliani, who was appointed to succeed HUD Secretary Hillary Clinton, won a term of his own, garnering 51% of the vote to Rep. Steve Israel's 48% of the vote in that U.S. Senate race. In the house, democrats gained 12 seats, not enough to win a majority.

November 8, 2006 - Pres. Bush reacts to election results

President George W. Bush reacted to the results of the 2006 mid term elections stating that "Americans have spoken, and voiced their concern that Washington needs to work together to get things done. My party has a lot of work to do to regain the trust the people gave us in 2000, 2002, and 2004."

December 10, 2006 - Pres. Bush signs extension of USAPatriot Act into law

President George W. Bush signed an extension of the USAPatriot Act into law at a ceremony at the white house.

January 5, 2007 - Pres. Bush announces Iraq withdrawal

President George W. Bush announced that U.S. combat forces would be out of Iraq by December 10, 2007 other than 10,000 "residual" forces. Bush thanked the "brave men and women who serve our nation in uniform for their service and sacrifice." Bush also stated that "America has begun the process of rebuilding Iraq, and we will continue to support efforts there. But, thanks to the surge, we are now able to begin the process of withdrawing our forces out of Iraq."

January 10, 2007 - Huckabee announces presidential run

In his hometown of Hope, Arkansas, Former Governor Mike Huckabee declared he was running for President in the 2008 election. "I'm running for President because I believe that we need to make sure the American dream is alive and well" Huckabee stated. Pledging to advance the pro-life position, tax reform, and health care reform, Huckabee stated that he was "a conservative who can win."

January 18, 2007 - Clark enters presidential race

During an interview on ABC News, Retired General Wesley Clark announced he was running for President in the 2008 election. "I'm running for President. Look, I think George Bush have taken this country in the wrong direction. We need to re-focus ourselves on victory in Afganistan and rebuilding broken alliances in the world. We also need to focus on getting our people health insurance and improving our schools here at home. I think we need strong leadership, and I intend to be that leader" Clark stated upon entering the presidential race.

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »

At least we didn't lose by 20 in NY Smiley

I'm supporting Kerry!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 06:59:57 AM »

Feb. 1, 2007 - Pres. Bush signs Giuliani bill to reduce the size of the federal government

President George W. Bush signed into law a bill, proposed by Senator Rudy Giuliani (R-NY), which seeks to reduce the size of the federal government over a 3 year period. "Over the next three years, thousands of government employees will be retiring. Under this law, we will only re-hire about five percent of them" Senator Giuliani stated. President Bush said that he "realized the size of government had gotten out of control" and that "it was time to reduce the size of the federal government via attrition." The Giuliani bill also calls for phasing out some civilian departments between 2008 and 2011. Savings from the program would be about $1.8 trillion over 10 years.

Feb. 5, 2007 - Rice rules out presidential run

To the surprise of many, Vice President Condi Rice announced she would not seek the presidency in the 2008 election. "I will not accept my party's nomination for President in 2008. I am happy helping President Bush lead this country as Vice President." However, Rice refused to rule out a future presidential run.

Feb. 7, 2007 - Evan Bayh enters presidential race

Sen. Evan Bayh (D-IN) announced he would be a candidate for the democratic presidential nomination in 2008. "I'm running for President because I care deeply about the issues our families face each and everyday" Bayh stated at his announcement speech in Iowa. Citing education, tax policy, and national security as top issues, Bayh said he was "a Clinton democrat who can win."

Feb. 10, 2007 - George Pataki to run for President

Former Gov. George Pataki (R-NY) declared his intention to run for President in 2008. "I will be a candidate for President" Pataki told a press conference in New York City. "Frankly, I'll be running to continue the Bush era foreign policy, but I think our party needs to take a different approach to economic policy. Deficits do matter, and we need to reduce federal spending and federal regulations, not just cut taxes" Pataki stated.

Feb. 15, 2007 - Sen. John Kerry enters presidential race

Senator John Kerry (D-MA) announced he was running for President at an event in Boston, MA. "I'm running for President of the United States to build a stronger america here at home and to help us become more respected across the world" Kerry stated.

Feb. 18, 2007 - Bob Graham announces presidential run

Former U.S. Senator Bob Graham, who was Al Gore's running-mate in the 2004 presidential election, announced he would seek the presidency in 2008. "I'm going to be seeking the presidency" Graham declared on ABC News. Graham stated that he would "fight for universal health care and wall street reform" as President.

March 1, 2007 - candidates update

GOP candidates
Mike Huckabee, Former Governor of Arkansas
Jim Gilmore, Former Governor of Virginia
Sam Brownback, U.S. Senator from Kansas
George Pataki, Former Governor of New York
Lisa Murkowkski, U.S. Senator from Alaska
Fred Thompson, Former U.S. Senator from Tennessee
Rick Perry, Governor of Texas

Democratic candidates
Wesley Clark, Retired General
John Kerry, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts
Joe Biden, U.S. Senator from Delaware
Evan Bayh, U.S. Senator from Indiana
Bob Graham, Former U.S. Senator from Florida and 2004 Vice Presidential Nominee
Tom Daschle, Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader from South Dakota

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 08:08:32 AM »

I'm supporting Kerry Biden, then Kerry!

I also like Daschle, BTW.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 11:56:37 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2013, 12:10:39 PM by dudeabides »

March 3, 2007 - Bill Clinton endorses Wesley Clark for President

Former President Bill Clinton endorsed the presidential campaign of Retired General Wesley Clark. "Wes Clark is an American hero and a friend of mine. Whether the issue be restoring America's standing in the world, providing health care to the American people, bringing jobs back to America, or reducing the national debt, I trust Wes Clark to lead this country" Clinton said endorsing Clark at a rally in Charleston, SC.

April 5, 2007 - Pres. Bush meets with Sens. Giuliani, Baucus on immigration
President George W. Bush met with Senators Rudy Giuliani (R-NY) and Max Baucus (D-MT) on an immigration bill the two were working on following the failure of Graham-Kennedy. President Bush later endorsed the bill and urged congress to pass it.

April 7, 2007 - Clark, Huckabee agree with Giuliani-Baucus immigration law
Democratic presidential front-runner Wesley Clark and GOP hopeful Mike Huckabee both stated they support the Giuliani-Baucus immigration bill. Clark stated that "We need to secure our border and establish a pathway to legal status, I agree. I'd like to see us have a guest worker program, but this bill is a good start." Huckabee stated that "My plan would be slightly different, but there are many aspects of this plan I support, including border enforcement."

May 18, 2007 - President Bush signs Giuliani-Baucus immigration reform act into law

President George W. Bush signed the "Giuliani-Baucus Immigration Reform Act of 2007" into law. The law mandates that a border fence is built along the southern border and establishes a legal pathway to legal status. The plan involves no guest worker program or path to citizenship. The law also included e-verification.

June 1, 2007 - In first GOP debate, candidates debate George W. Bush

GOP presidential hopefuls held their first debate of the 2008 campaign season in Manchester, NH. The candidates all sought to describe themselves as "conservative." Additionally, candidates sought to explain how they would be different that President George W. Bush. "President Bush has it right with regards to national security, but I think we need to also focus on things here at home. I have a record of cutting spending and balancing budgets in New York, I will be a fiscal conservative as President" George Pataki stated. "I don't think voters will focus on President Bush as much as some suggest because I'm not George W. Bush. I'm running to fight for the things we as conservatives believe in; the pro-life position, making our free market health care system work, reforming our tax code with the fair tax, and defeating our enemies whatever it takes" stated Mike Huckabee. The candidates agreed that the party needed to turn the page on President Bush, though they all defended many of his decisions on foreign policy. Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas was the only candidate who went further, stating that "Many of Bush's policies have not worked."

June 5, 2007 - In Iowa Democratic debate, candidates talk health care, taxes, Bush

Democratic presidential candidates debated a series of issues. All of the candidates other than Wesley Clark agreed that ultimately, the U.S. should provide health care to every single American. General Clark took a different approach, stating that "I believe all Americans should have access to health insurance. I think we ought to expand SCHIP to every child in America, I support universal coverage for those under the age of 18. But, I believe for adults, we need to focus on cost containment. The way to do that is for states to be able to receive federal funding for their health care plans for adults." Candidates also debated tax policy, with all of the candidates embracing allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire on the top 1%. Candidates John Kerry and Wesley Clark also proposed tax cuts; Kerry's plan reduces payroll taxes, Clark's plan would eliminate the income tax on those making below $50,000 per year while cutting income taxes on those making between $50,000 and $100,000 per year by 10%. Candidates also attacked President George W. Bush, with John Kerry stating that "the republicans want to continue 4 more years of the past 8 years, America can not afford that."

July 5, 2007 - Bush approval at 45%

A CBS poll has President George W. Bush's approval rating at 45%

August 21, 2007 - Mike Huckabee wins Ames, IA straw poll

Mike Huckabee 2,107
Jim Gilmore 1,423
Sam Brownback 993
Lisa Murkowski 662
Fred Thompson 207
George Pataki 107
Rick Perry 27
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »