The KotBP Memorial Fitness thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 09:36:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The KotBP Memorial Fitness thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The KotBP Memorial Fitness thread  (Read 1987 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2013, 09:48:26 PM »

After Bushie's constant diet woes and Memphis' abortive thread, I think there is an audience for a healthy eating and/or workout thread. Who else could it be named for but the legendary King of the Bench press?

I'll lead off thread with a question- any advice for a quick and difficult workout routine/split? Shooting for something around 35-45 minutes (not including any cardio) Ive typically been doing 5-6 days a week to try to hit each area but thinking I need to change things a bit.  Im currently working around 65hrs a week so brevity is a key. While Im sure they work well, not really equipped for any p90x or insanity stuff.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:00:41 PM »

I forgot about King of the Bench Press! What an underrated classic.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 10:11:20 PM »

I owe so much to KoTBP. Who could forget his triumphant last few posts before he was banned?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:22:45 PM »

Back to the topic.

I've been trying to get back into shape by Memorial Day. As I mentioned in the height/weight thread, I'm around 5'10 and 178 lbs. but I'd like to lose this alcohol/fast food belly I've developed. I don't really have any routine yet but I've been trying to get to the gym every day and do an hour on the elliptical. I've also been trying to stick to around 1300 calories a day while using the "My Fitness Pal" iPhone app.

I'm not quite sure what type of lifting routine I want to get into. I haven't had a real lifting program probably since college. I've been doing some reading and there seems to be some debate over isolated muscle exercise days or full-body days. I've always thought negatively of the latter but upon reading up on them it doesn't sound too bad. Any one have any input or know any good lifting routines to stick to?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:25:24 PM »

My goal is to be in good physical shape by August 1st, and I'd like to be able to run a 5k by this fall. So far I'm off to a pretty good start, but I still have a long ways to go.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:43:49 PM »

Back to the topic.

I've been trying to get back into shape by Memorial Day. As I mentioned in the height/weight thread, I'm around 5'10 and 178 lbs. but I'd like to lose this alcohol/fast food belly I've developed. I don't really have any routine yet but I've been trying to get to the gym every day and do an hour on the elliptical. I've also been trying to stick to around 1300 calories a day while using the "My Fitness Pal" iPhone app.

I'm not quite sure what type of lifting routine I want to get into. I haven't had a real lifting program probably since college. I've been doing some reading and there seems to be some debate over isolated muscle exercise days or full-body days. I've always thought negatively of the latter but upon reading up on them it doesn't sound too bad. Any one have any input or know any good lifting routines to stick to?

That is really enough food, especially if you are exercising. It may be counterproductive because you'd likely have muscle wasting along with any fat loss. You'd lose weight but probably look worse.  Afleitch could speak to this better but you should probably look to just eating better. Drop the booze and fast food for a few weeks and you usually look ten lbs lighter because both those bloat you out.

Ive done full body and splits and as from this thread Im still trying to figure out which works best.  I think it really has to do with how much time you can devote.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:44 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2013, 11:24:29 PM by memphis »

Today was a coworker's birthday, so I had a piece of cake. Whoa! Refined carb overload!!!! I had so much energy at the gym. It was crazy! I felt like Mario after a Power Star. And yet I'm sure that piece of cake had more calories than I burned at the gym, so eating a daily piece of cake before working out is probably not a good idea. But it got me thinking about diet. I've been doing a sensible high protein and whole grain sort of thing. But I don't get bursts of energy and it's normally a lot harder to push myself through a workout. A piece of fruit is a good boost but it's no Power Star. Damn human body trying to conserve energy Sad
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 01:31:33 AM »

I owe so much to KoTBP. Who could forget his triumphant last few posts before he was banned?

Refresh my memory! I remember them being epic but I can't quite recall exactly what he said...
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 08:48:51 AM »

Back to the topic.

That is really enough food, especially if you are exercising. It may be counterproductive because you'd likely have muscle wasting along with any fat loss. You'd lose weight but probably look worse.  Afleitch could speak to this better but you should probably look to just eating better. Drop the booze and fast food for a few weeks and you usually look ten lbs lighter because both those bloat you out.

Ive done full body and splits and as from this thread Im still trying to figure out which works best.  I think it really has to do with how much time you can devote.

Thanks Patrick.

Does any one know a good site/resource that may have sound diet plans/recipes?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 08:59:02 AM »

I will see if I can get my trainer to write something up, and I will post it, describing how to how most effectively work out over say a 40 minute period. I spend about 35-40 minutes on the thread mill, the rowing machine, various stretching protocols, and maybe some very light weight lifting to warm my old body up, and then my trainer beats me up for an hour.  He has learned however that if possible, I like to lift, work the straps and so forth in front of a mirror, or a window where I can see my reflection.

Drink a protein drink right after working out. I drive right home after the workout (around 6:30 pm), after having showered and used the steam room, and make a protein cocktail - orange juice, Prolean protein power, and vodka. And it takes two days for your muscles to fully recover from it all, so they can be beat up again.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 08:47:37 PM »

Kemp, I have several good links for exercises and the like but nothing really good for nutrition. I managed to drop my weight because I was wicked fat to begin with and just started eating much less and working out a lot. Now that Im down to a normal weight, I really have to start looking at nutrition and not just caloric level. Im down to a modest paunch, eat moderately and work out but not burning off the stubborn ab section as fast as I like. I think exercise intensity really helps burn the gut, but I am so freaking tired when I get home that I can't go 100%.

I have a home gym and prefer it that way. Ive been doing something like the below. About 6-7 exercises total each night. 3 sets or so each.
Sunday: Chest/tri
Monday: shoulder/back
Tuesday: legs
Wednesday: misc stuff: abs, biceps, forearms.
Thursday:chest/tri
Friday: either light shoulder, back routine or off
Saturday: light weight legs and some misc stuff or off

Sprinkled in each day I walk/jog/run to train station a mile each way. short stroll at lunch and usually about 15 minutes on an exercise bike,  I'm still losing body fat but very slowly.

Torie, any tips you got are appreciated.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »

I could post my workout once I find it, but I have been a super slacker when it comes to lifting since January after my workout partner threw out his back doing squats. I'm still eating properly because frankly, it's just my lifestyle, but I do have dessert from time to time (if a girl bakes for me or my dear mom sends me something).

Anyway, for size, do heavy weight with lower reps and the opposite for toning. Let your muscles rest for at least 2 days in between workouts (my workout buddy didn't do this), and you'll avoid injury.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »

Refresh my memory! I remember them being epic but I can't quite recall exactly what he said...

Does "two in the pink, one in the stink!!!11" ring a bell?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 11:41:13 PM »

Does "two in the pink, one in the stink!!!11" ring a bell?

Haha, oh yes. Good times.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 04:25:57 AM »

Anyone who is concerned about their general fitness and wellbeing should read this New York Times article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »

My rule is never, EVER to deny yourself. I did the whole oh, I can't touch carbs or sugar or diary... *%\? that! I looked fantastic, but I hated constantly having to worry about 'oh crap what did I have for lunch'

I'll eat a slice of cake and a couple of glasses of wine. If you're trying to lose, it means it won't drop off you like avoiding complete food groups. But sensibility and moderation will do the job. But I get the impression that some people don't the will power to have one slice if cake, or one beer ...

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »

Excellent. I'm a bit of a gym bunny so let me know if you need any advice Smiley
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 06:12:59 PM »

Excellent. I'm a bit of a gym bunny so let me know if you need any advice Smiley

Back to the topic.

Help me, Afleitch.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 05:14:58 AM »

Back to the topic.

Help me, Afleitch.

If you’re relatively thin build (and 178 isn’t bad for your height) but have a bit of a gut then don’t just run or use the elliptical to loose weight. It’s actually a very time consuming way to loose weight unless you are seriously overweight and it’s the only exercise you can do. Men put on weight easily but also loose it fairly easily. The best routine is to build muscle. As you do so, and with a balanced diet, you will burn off the excess fat. Don’t forget the cardio of course, but a good weight routine will help you.

A good starter routine is to squat. Squats focus on your legs and your core. You should aim to lift heavy for short periods but start off with a comfortable weight and do 3 seats of 10 repetitions for each muscle group. Make sure you can do the full movement without compromising on form or posture of you risk injury. Use machines if you have access to them; they make making the ‘motion’ easier Cheesy You can then work on your arms, chest etc.

Eating right is important and your hunger basically dictates how much you eat. You don’t have to be super strict just ensure you have a series of small meals each day with high protein and moderate carbs. Your stomach won’t disappear overnight but within a few weeks you should notice a difference.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 06:04:12 AM »

I just read that part about only eating 1,300 calories. Yikes. No no no no. You will not lose weight by doing that -- you'll only shut down your metabolism.

Based on your height and weight, the caloric intake you need for maintenance is about 2,200. You need to shave something off that number, but cutting it in half is a killer. I wouldn't recommend eating any less than 1,800 calories per day.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 07:12:35 AM »

I just read that part about only eating 1,300 calories. Yikes. No no no no. You will not lose weight by doing that -- you'll only shut down your metabolism.

Based on your height and weight, the caloric intake you need for maintenance is about 2,200. You need to shave something off that number, but cutting it in half is a killer. I wouldn't recommend eating any less than 1,800 calories per day.

I'd agree with you. You may even need to increase your calorie intake to 2,200 if it's not there already.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 08:40:45 AM »

Thanks gentlemen. I got the 1300 number from one of the apps I was using.

I'm still not exactly sure what I'll do for a diet but I'm hoping to get a plan in place this week.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 10:16:40 PM »

What do you guys think of the workout featured in this article: http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/metabolism/page/4?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 11:12:32 AM »

I'm still not exactly sure what I'll do for a diet but I'm hoping to get a plan in place this week.

If you have a smartphone dowload one of the higher rated calorie counter app so you know you're eating the right amount....guessing sucks.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »

If you have a smartphone dowload one of the higher rated calorie counter app so you know you're eating the right amount....guessing sucks.

I wasn't guessing; I was using one of the calorie counting apps.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies