Christie not invited to CPAC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:00:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Christie not invited to CPAC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Christie not invited to CPAC  (Read 14420 times)
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2013, 08:42:04 AM »
« edited: February 28, 2013, 11:38:32 AM by BluegrassBlueVote »

And my entire point is that Romney isn't actually more ideologically conservative than he was as governor. I don't care what he was tortured into saying during the primaries, and the base immediately reverted to deriding him as a phony after the election. I don't really understand his invite.

All relief bills are filled with pork... that's how they get through Congress with legislators that are far removed from the action. Remember how Steve King voted against Katrina aid but was kicking and screaming for New York funding? Regardless, it's inane to criticize a governor for wanting emergency aid for his state as fast as possible. That's a product of geography, not anything ideological.

I do think Romney genuinely became more conservative on some issues (abortion), and others weren't relevant to the conservative cause.  Christie's problem is that he's moderate where it matters, and when the big issue is cutting spending, it doesn't matter if he has a good reason for wanting the bill to pass--pork is pork.

You come off as an incredibly naive individual. I'm trying to imagine which scenario is more implausible, Romney changing his stance on abortion while in his sixties, or any governor anywhere in this country telling Congress to hold off on a 60-billion dollar aid bill because it had a few pet projects in it. Wonder how that would play with the constituents of New Jersey. (remember, THOSE are the people he serves. Not us.)

That bill can't get passed without pork... it's politics. Must not've paid attention to Katrina.

Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2013, 11:35:02 AM »

Christie doesn't get an invite, but Stephen Harper does:

http://conservative.org/news/acu-announces-second-round-of-speakers-invited-to-cpac-2013/

I wonder on what issues Harper is to the right of Christie.  I guess you could say that Harper is farther right of center by the standards of Canada than Christie is by the standards of the USA.  But then, shouldn't Christie get some slack for being more conservative by the standards of New Jersey?

I think the general consensus is that Harper is more conservative than he's able to govern as politically.  The dude used to be a member of the Reform Party, after all.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2013, 02:02:47 PM »

And my entire point is that Romney isn't actually more ideologically conservative than he was as governor. I don't care what he was tortured into saying during the primaries, and the base immediately reverted to deriding him as a phony after the election. I don't really understand his invite.

All relief bills are filled with pork... that's how they get through Congress with legislators that are far removed from the action. Remember how Steve King voted against Katrina aid but was kicking and screaming for New York funding? Regardless, it's inane to criticize a governor for wanting emergency aid for his state as fast as possible. That's a product of geography, not anything ideological.

I do think Romney genuinely became more conservative on some issues (abortion), and others weren't relevant to the conservative cause.  Christie's problem is that he's moderate where it matters, and when the big issue is cutting spending, it doesn't matter if he has a good reason for wanting the bill to pass--pork is pork.

You come off as an incredibly naive individual. I'm trying to imagine which scenario is more implausible, Romney changing his stance on abortion while in his sixties, or any governor anywhere in this country telling Congress to hold off on a 60-billion dollar aid bill because it had a few pet projects in it. Wonder how that would play with the constituents of New Jersey. (remember, THOSE are the people he serves. Not us.)

That bill can't get passed without pork... it's politics. Must not've paid attention to Katrina.

I'm not naïve.  I'm not making the argument.  I'm explaining the argument from the types of the ACU.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2013, 01:01:29 AM »

I fail to see why someone would be invited to a conservative convention, The "C" does stand for conservative, you know, who:

-Embraced ObamaCare Medicaid nonsense
-Supports gun control
-Is wiffle waffly on social values
-Practically spooned w/ Obama before the election
-Trashed Congress for trying to get pork out of Sandy bill

The man has been nothing but a Democrat sycophant since the election.  I actually think a lot of it started with his lackluster RNC speech.

At CPAC it is mostly real conservatives
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »

I fail to see why someone would be invited to a conservative convention, The "C" does stand for conservative, you know, who:

-Supports gun control

The man has been nothing but a Democrat sycophant since the election.  I actually think a lot of it started with his lackluster RNC speech.

This is an example of why the Republican Party will lose in 2016.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2013, 03:30:06 PM »

-Supports gun control

Try again.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »

So if you are a fake conservative but pander (cough Romney cough) that gets you in.

Let's face it, this is not about policy it is about rhetoric. Christie praised Obama and criticized the GOP House. And that is not acceptable.

CPAC would rather have losers who pander instead of winners with integrity.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2013, 06:19:29 PM »

Try again.
[/quote]
Hahaha. I can't disagree! I did say *mostly* Smiley
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2013, 07:03:35 PM »

I am no longer a Republican and don't consider myself to be a right winger- but I can't STAND Chris Christie...it doesn't have to do with his views, but the way he expresses them... yelling and calling people idiots does not work anywhere in politics and for some one aspiring to be President of the United States, his behavior is particularly shameful. Honesty is a trait I look for in politicians- but there is a difference between being honest and being rudely blunt. I'm surprised his "tough guy" routine hasn't turned people off long before this...

Good for you, CPAC!

I salute you, good sir. 100% in agreement.

Chris Christie must be discouraged from running, or he must be turned into the next Giuliani.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2013, 07:27:49 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 07:32:41 PM by Politico »

Just run this image in anti-Christie ads while highlighting his pro-choice stance, and it's over for Christie before it began with respect to Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina Republicans:

One, it shows him being a little too friendly with Obama, who shares Christie's pro-choice mentality. Two, it shows how un-presidential he looks even next to Obama. Three, it reminds Republicans of how he threw Romney under the bus on the eve of the election.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Christie's hatred of the Second Amendment.

Good luck doing better than Giuliani in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 07:33:53 PM »

Just run this image in anti-Christie ads while highlighting his pro-choice stance, and it's over for Christie before it began with respect to Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina Republicans:

Christie is pro-life.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2013, 07:34:04 PM »

You've got it backwards: Romney was always pro-life, but pretended to be pro-choice in order to win in Massachusetts. After all, he is Mormon.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »

Christie is pro-life.

“The only restrictions that I feel in favor of [...] are common sense things. Parental notification is a common sense restriction.”

- Chris Christie

Sounds real pro-life to me!
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »

One, it shows him being a little too friendly with Obama, who shares Christie's pro-choice mentality. Two, it shows how un-presidential he looks even next to Obama. Three, it reminds Republicans of how he threw Romney under the bus on the eve of the election.

1. Christie is pro-life, and is the first Pro-Life Governor of New Jersey since Roe v. Wade in the 1970s.
2.Because Obama was doing his job helping Christie and was commended for it, he threw Romney under the bus? His entire state was rampaged by an awful hurricane and he was worried about his people. Obama was helping. Romney was not. You guys don't seem to get hat Obama was gonna win before that anyway. Orca was always got g to fail. OFA was too good at their job.
3. How does he hate the second amendment?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2013, 07:40:46 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 07:42:34 PM by Politico »

1. Christie is pro-life, and is the first Pro-Life Governor of New Jersey since Roe v. Wade in the 1970s.
2.Because Obama was doing his job helping Christie and was commended for it, he threw Romney under the bus? His entire state was rampaged by an awful hurricane and he was worried about his people. Obama was helping. Romney was not. You guys don't seem to get hat Obama was gonna win before that anyway. Orca was always got g to fail. OFA was too good at their job.
3. How does he hate the second amendment?

With respect to his supposed pro-life credentials, look at the above quote.

With regards to the second amendment, Christie has repeatedly reaffirmed his support for gun control measures. This was in the news recently, and I've seen quotes from the 1990s where he called supporters of the second amendment "crazy" and "radical."

Why the hell do you people think CPAC did not invite Christie? The answer is because he's basically pro-life, he has no respect for the second amendment, he provided Obama with powerful PR Kodak moments that were not necessary to help his state, and there is a suspicion that he secretly favors gay marriage like Obama did in 2008.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »

Christie is pro-life.

“The only restrictions that I feel in favor of [...] are common sense things. Parental notification is a common sense restriction.”

- Chris Christie

How about a full quote?

"I am pro-life, I believe in exceptions for rape, incest and the life of the mother. That's my position, take it or leave it."

- Meet the Press, 2011

"I'm pro-life, I believe in exceptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother, but I do believe that life is precious and should be protected."

- CNN, 2011

"I am pro-life. Hearing the strong heartbeat of my unborn daughter 14 years ago at 13 weeks gestation had a profound effect on me and my beliefs. The life of every human being is precious. We must work to reduce abortions in New Jersey through laws such as parental notification, a 24-hour waiting period and a ban on partial-birth abortion."

- Official website, 2009
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »

"The issue which has energized me to get into this race is the recent attempt by certain Republican legislators to repeal NJ's ban on assault weapons."
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 07:56:01 PM by Politico »

Christie is pro-life.

- Chris Christie

How about a full quote?

"I am pro-life, I believe in exceptions for rape, incest and the life of the mother. That's my position, take it or leave it."

- Meet the Press, 2011

"I'm pro-life, I believe in exceptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother, but I do believe that life is precious and should be protected."

- CNN, 2011

"I am pro-life. Hearing the strong heartbeat of my unborn daughter 14 years ago at 13 weeks gestation had a profound effect on me and my beliefs. The life of every human being is precious. We must work to reduce abortions in New Jersey through laws such as parental notification, a 24-hour waiting period and a ban on partial-birth abortion."

- Official website, 2009

Yet the only restriction on abortion that he favors is parental notification? OK, so that makes him slightly less pro-choice than Howard Dean, another angry northeastern pol he would get along just fine with...

Most of his excess weight is obviously BS.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »

Politico, that's not logical.  He said, "I only support things in category A.  Z is in category A."  And you twisted that into, "I only support Z."
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »

I look forward to Chris Christie's scathing speech at the DNC endorsing Hillary and denouncing the far right.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2013, 08:51:48 PM »

You've got it backwards: Romney was always pro-life, but pretended to be pro-choice in order to win in Massachusetts. After all, he is Mormon.

An anti-choice candidate forsaking his values to pander to liberals would be the worst kind of person to you hardliners, right?

He obviously isn't sincere about anything, so stop pretending like you have any idea where that man really stands on the issues. Ann may not even know. And about his Mormonism... do you think a guy with two Harvard degrees believes in Kolob and that the Garden of Eden was in Missouri?
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2013, 12:04:56 AM »

Christie is to the right of Governor Romney abortion and in line with him on gun control. At least, when you look at their records. And if you want to insist with this fantasy that Romney was just pretending in Massachusetts because it was a liberal state and was actually the second coming of Reagan-conservatism, then couldn't the same case be made for Christie?

bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2013, 07:04:07 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2013, 07:06:27 AM by bballrox4717 »

I look forward to Chris Christie's scathing speech at the DNC endorsing Hillary and denouncing the far right.

This would be just fantastic. Even if I don't want them anywhere near the presidency, the more former Republican moderates denouncing the embarrassment that is the GOP today, the better.

I am no longer a Republican and don't consider myself to be a right winger- but I can't STAND Chris Christie...it doesn't have to do with his views, but the way he expresses them... yelling and calling people idiots does not work anywhere in politics and for some one aspiring to be President of the United States, his behavior is particularly shameful. Honesty is a trait I look for in politicians- but there is a difference between being honest and being rudely blunt. I'm surprised his "tough guy" routine hasn't turned people off long before this...

Good for you, CPAC!

This is pretty much the reason why I dislike Christie as well.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »

Christie is to the right of Governor Romney abortion and in line with him on gun control. At least, when you look at their records. And if you want to insist with this fantasy that Romney was just pretending in Massachusetts because it was a liberal state and was actually the second coming of Reagan-conservatism, then couldn't the same case be made for Christie?

But no, Christie is a black hearted liebral who slept with the arch-devil Barack HUSSEIN Obama, and he's only pretending to be less liberal now in order to get into the White House, where he will transmorph into a demon of socialist, marxist, Maoist policies. Ronald Reagan, with the magical sword Excalibur of which only he with his conservative principles could wield, will slay Christopher HUSSEIN Christie when he revives from the dead as written in the holy bible of conservative doctrine.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »

Oh my. McDonnell now gets the snub for that highway bill.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/03/mcdonnell-uninvited-annual-conservative-conference
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies