Five Dollar Footlong, all month long
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:33:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Five Dollar Footlong, all month long
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Five Dollar Footlong, all month long
Italian BMT

Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki

Turkey Breast

Tuna

Turkey & Black Forest Ham

Buffalo Chicken

Hell no!  They got no fries at Subway.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Five Dollar Footlong, all month long  (Read 13954 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »

It scares me how long the tuna has been sitting there in improper temperatures.  But with the sh**t you put on it, it's likely all the ick is offset. Tongue

hahaha.  I do like tuna.  I like the smell of it.  I like the taste of it.  I like it sauteed in butter.  I like it fried in oil.  I like big steaks of tuna on the barbeque, and I like it from a can.  I have it on sandwiches or in pasta, or even raw and wrapped in rice and seaweed and doused with sweet vinegar and sesame seeds.  I even drink the fluids when I open the can, rather than waste it by pouring it down the sink the way some folks do.  You can't really go wrong with tuna.  Anyway, I always wash my dinner down with enough ethanol to prevent any opportunistic single-celled organisms from presenting a problem. 

Do what?

He drinks copious amounts of alcohol.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »

I get the Subway Melt - turkey, ham, and bacon.

My sub:
Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread
Provolone Cheese
Spinach
Lettuce
Pickles
Small amount of onion
Small amount of green pepper
Light Mayo
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 04:10:07 PM »

I know I do, Grumps! I've done it to myself too, and now I have to go eat something from 7-11 before bed (its four AM and nothing but noodle soup at the street-stalls).

Can't comment on the pig's ear and pig liver sandwich since I haven't yet had one. 

You have to try one angus, and you too Lief - they are amazing.  Full of hot peppers and herbs, and best of all the fatty meats and pickled veg, all on a proper baguette.

You can get the Bahn Mi in the Bad Place. I get them from time to time here in Memphis, so certainly they're available in any city.

So right memphis, I used to eat them in St. Louis at at least 4-5 different places, even one that sold only Bahn Mi (and ice coffee).  And, in some cases the Bahn Mi was somewhere near authentic.  However they're cheaper in Phnom Penh or Vientiane.  And the ambiance is 100 times better.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

It scares me how long the tuna has been sitting there in improper temperatures.  But with the sh**t you put on it, it's likely all the ick is offset. Tongue

hahaha.  I do like tuna.  I like the smell of it.  I like the taste of it.  I like it sauteed in butter.  I like it fried in oil.  I like big steaks of tuna on the barbeque, and I like it from a can.  I have it on sandwiches or in pasta, or even raw and wrapped in rice and seaweed and doused with sweet vinegar and sesame seeds.  I even drink the fluids when I open the can, rather than waste it by pouring it down the sink the way some folks do.  You can't really go wrong with tuna.  Anyway, I always wash my dinner down with enough ethanol to prevent any opportunistic single-celled organisms from presenting a problem. 

Do what?

He drinks copious amounts of alcohol.

Figured that.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »

Baguettes, and bâtards for that matter, don't really rock my world.  Too crunchy.  I like a bread that soaks up the juices of the sandwich, but maybe I'll give it a go.  I often see Banh Mi on the menu hereabouts, although when I'm in places where it's on the menu, I usually notice the enormous bowl of Pho Thai and Pho Xe Lua on the same menu, and I can never pass up stewed tripe with basil and cilantro and noodles and spicy chiles.  I'd estimate that I have a steaming bowl of pho at least once a week.  

Although I do like a crunchy sourdough bâtard when I'm having marinara sauce, and I like to rub it around in the sauce.  They get soggy if you're patient enough. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »

I think I've had one before, but apparently it was far from authentic! There was just the BBQ pork, none of the other pork deliciousnesses.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »

Pho pretty much bores me, like most Asian noodle soups.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »

I think I've had one before, but apparently it was far from authentic! There was just the BBQ pork, none of the other pork deliciousnesses.

That's right! Ultimately the sandwich rests, deep down, on the pork liver, but all the fatty parts are necessary.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 04:22:22 PM »

Pho pretty much bores me, like most Asian noodle soups.

à chacun son goût, mon gourmand.  I think I like all of them except Misoshiru, which is truly boring. 

I am intrigued by the Banh Mi.  I may wait till the next time I'm in East Asia, though, to try one.  I'm guessing that it'll actually have the pig's ear and daikon. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 04:25:02 PM »

Subway has always made me mad, to the point now that I've stopped going. Let's say you go in there and you just want a de-facto sandwich that is supposedly on the menu. Ain't gonna happen.

"So yeah, let me get the sweet onion chicken teriyaki on such and such bread."

"So what do you want on it?"

"Uh, as advertised."

"I want the sandwich you're selling on the menu."

"I'm sorry, we don't know what's in that sandwich."

I don't know if it's that so many people like to be creative in how they order or if all Subway employees are just stupid, but this has been the conversation I've had in at least 4 Subways in my area (I should check out the other 10). It got to the point where it was infuriatingly funny, where I'd go in and try to start up this exact conversation because I knew they were going to be idiots and that Subway apparently doesn't teach its employees how to make anything other than a basic sandwich. If I'm in a hurry, I don't want to pick out every single element of my sandwich - If I have to build it, might as well stay at home and save the money. What are all those pictures and prices for, anyway?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »

maybe once a year I will get the meatball.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 04:51:40 PM »

Subway has always made me mad, to the point now that I've stopped going. Let's say you go in there and you just want a de-facto sandwich that is supposedly on the menu. Ain't gonna happen.

"Uh, as advertised."

I don't know if it's that so many people like to be creative in how they order or if all Subway employees are just stupid, but this has been the conversation I've had in at least 4 Subways in my area (I should check out the other 10). It got to the point where it was infuriatingly funny, where I'd go in and try to start up this exact conversation because I knew they were going to be idiots and that Subway apparently doesn't teach its employees how to make anything other than a basic sandwich. If I'm in a hurry, I don't want to pick out every single element of my sandwich - If I have to build it, might as well stay at home and save the money. What are all those pictures and prices for, anyway?
They probably meant what cheese and such you wanted on it. Every sub is customized by the individual buying, so there's no need to know what's on the sub in the picture.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 05:04:54 PM »

"Uh, as advertised."

They probably meant what cheese and such you wanted on it. Every sub is customized by the individual buying, so there's no need to know what's on the sub in the picture.

TM is probably right here, you pick the basic sub and if that's what you wanted you should have said that otherwise they'll think you want to add other vegetables on there as well as any cheese or anything else.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »

Plus, they're likely being paid minimum wage. So what's the point?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »

Minimum wage?!  What's the point?

You want to take a great big dump on MY thread with a comment about public policy, do you?

Fine, it's a free world.  Let's go there.  Let's assume that they're being paid minimum wage.  With minimum wage, an employee can purchase one and a half foot-long subway sandwiches per hour.  At the end of an eight-hour shift, an employee could purchase 12 foot-long subway sandwiches.  If he chooses astutely, and gets one of the really high-calorie ones like the foot-long tuna on wheat, he could feed a family of four for two days.  Not that he would have to, because most people working for minimum wage are not heads of families, but rather sons and daughters of breadwinners earning a little money to buy booze and pot.  And yes, at the end of an eight-hour shift, you can buy a decent bag of mary jane even if you're only making minimum wage, and still have enough money left over for a foot long tuna on whole wheat once the munchies kick in.

But that really isn't the point.  Nor is the fact that a government-mandated minimum wage, according to price theory, causes unemployment.  Nor is the fact that the President has asked the congress to consider raising the minimum wage.  Nor is the fact that the congress, thankfully, will probably not raise it.

These are so very far off topic.  The point is that all month long you can get foot long sandwiches, made to order, at Subway for five dollars.  That's the point.  That's the only point.  This is not a political thread.  But feel free to take a big dump on my friendly apolitical thread.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 07:55:06 PM »

Baguettes, and bâtards for that matter, don't really rock my world.  Too crunchy.  I like a bread that soaks up the juices of the sandwich, but maybe I'll give it a go.  I often see Banh Mi on the menu hereabouts, although when I'm in places where it's on the menu, I usually notice the enormous bowl of Pho Thai and Pho Xe Lua on the same menu, and I can never pass up stewed tripe with basil and cilantro and noodles and spicy chiles.  I'd estimate that I have a steaming bowl of pho at least once a week. 

Although I do like a crunchy sourdough bâtard when I'm having marinara sauce, and I like to rub it around in the sauce.  They get soggy if you're patient enough. 

Yeah, I don't know of any place in Nashville that just has Banh Mi sandwiches. There were plenty in California, one which was walking distance from my dorms. Of course, here the Vietnamese place is fairly far away so when I do make it there, I end up getting the Pho. I should really try out their Banh Mi one of these days.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 07:57:56 PM »

Banh Mi's are great. It's the latest craze here. All these lunch places are adding them to their menus.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »

There is zero point in me getting a hero from Subway.  A deli right around the corner will give you a sandwich, same length, double the size and triple the flavor for 7 bucks. I honestly don't know how they make money given how expensive some cold cuts are.

I simply don't understand why people would eat subway or Dominos in NY.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 08:03:10 PM »

Where's the vegetarian option?  Not everyone here eats animals.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »

Sbane, I've always liked pho as well, especially in the big bowl.  Occasionally I order bun ga xao or that thing with a fried egg and pork over rice, but mostly I opt for a big steaming bowl of pho.  And there's very little variation.  I've eaten at Vietnamese restaurants in Massachusetts, Texas, California, Iowa, Minnesota, Florida, Canada, and Pennsylvania--there are four of them within a five-mile radius of my house--and it never varies.  Always the huge bowl of noodles, roast beef, beef tripe, beef balls, cilantro, and chives, served with a plate of bean sprouts, thin-sliced fresh jalapeños, fresh sweet basil on stems, and small thai chiles.  There's usually a plastic bottle of red chili hot sauce within arm's reach as well.  How can anyone not like that?

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 08:05:24 PM »

blagohair,
Oops.  I did leave off some options.  I realized that after Boss Tweed mentioned the meatball marinara, always a popular option.  I am aware that they have a vegetarian sandwich as well.  Both of those are also on the FebruANY five dollar footlong special menu.  I apologize for the oversight.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 09:09:27 PM »

Sbane, I've always liked pho as well, especially in the big bowl.  Occasionally I order bun ga xao or that thing with a fried egg and pork over rice, but mostly I opt for a big steaming bowl of pho.  And there's very little variation.  I've eaten at Vietnamese restaurants in Massachusetts, Texas, California, Iowa, Minnesota, Florida, Canada, and Pennsylvania--there are four of them within a five-mile radius of my house--and it never varies.  Always the huge bowl of noodles, roast beef, beef tripe, beef balls, cilantro, and chives, served with a plate of bean sprouts, thin-sliced fresh jalapeños, fresh sweet basil on stems, and small thai chiles.  There's usually a plastic bottle of red chili hot sauce within arm's reach as well.  How can anyone not like that?

I need to get varied in my experience with Vietnamese food. I never get any of the other noodle dishes. My sister gets a vermicelli dish and then steals some of my broth to put on it. I should try that one day. I always get the Pho with everything in it. Whatever they put in it, I will eat. Smiley
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 09:51:04 PM »

Minimum wage?!  What's the point?

You want to take a great big dump on MY thread with a comment about public policy, do you?

Fine, it's a free world.  Let's go there.  Let's assume that they're being paid minimum wage.  With minimum wage, an employee can purchase one and a half foot-long subway sandwiches per hour.  At the end of an eight-hour shift, an employee could purchase 12 foot-long subway sandwiches.  If he chooses astutely, and gets one of the really high-calorie ones like the foot-long tuna on wheat, he could feed a family of four for two days.  Not that he would have to, because most people working for minimum wage are not heads of families, but rather sons and daughters of breadwinners earning a little money to buy booze and pot.  And yes, at the end of an eight-hour shift, you can buy a decent bag of mary jane even if you're only making minimum wage, and still have enough money left over for a foot long tuna on whole wheat once the munchies kick in.

But that really isn't the point.  Nor is the fact that a government-mandated minimum wage, according to price theory, causes unemployment.  Nor is the fact that the President has asked the congress to consider raising the minimum wage.  Nor is the fact that the congress, thankfully, will probably not raise it.

These are so very far off topic.  The point is that all month long you can get foot long sandwiches, made to order, at Subway for five dollars.  That's the point.  That's the only point.  This is not a political thread.  But feel free to take a big dump on my friendly apolitical thread.

It wasn't meant to be a big dump. If I wanted to make a political point, it wouldn't have been made in 3/4 of a line of text. I'm sorry if I bothered you with that comment, I was being a little rude, but I can assure you I'm not trying to destroy a perfectly harmless thread. My apologies, I just don't take sandwiches all that seriously.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 10:21:33 PM »

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 10:48:09 PM »

I can't answer the poll. It's missing meatball.

My first Subway was in New London, CT waiting for the Orient Point Ferry in the summer of 1981. It came to be a frequent trip for my research, the Subway was unique compared to the grinder shops throughout the Boston area. My choice then as today is a meatball with onions, lettuce and parmesan cheese with a sprinkle of oregano. I even split a footlong meatball earlier this month in my town (not New London). Five dollars, of course.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies