Insomnia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:49:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Insomnia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Insomnia  (Read 2059 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:13:28 AM »

I've had an issue with this since I retired... I can always fall asleep when I am tired- but it takes me forever to be truly ready to hit the sack! And I can't rise after 7am...years of Reveille left their mark
I'm reluctant to take Ambien as I don't want to get hooked....any one have some tips?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 03:22:44 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2013, 03:28:15 AM by Vice-President-Select Griffin »

Cannabis - perhaps in a baked or oil-based form if you are not amenable to smoking. Ambien is downright awful - I've heard so many bad stories about it in addition to having a friend who used it for a period of time. He would send out dirty texts in the middle of the night to other people and one night, ending up walking out in the backyard and just chilling on the patio. Of course, he never had any recollection of these events.

If you have any sort of underlying heart condition, though, then cannabis may not be the best thing, either. Really the only risk of using cannabis in the short-term is an elevated heart rate and temporary palpitations for the hour or so preceding use, which could exacerbate an existing cardiac issue.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:26:52 AM »

Cannabis? Seriously lol you kids and your drugs...

I've had insomnia on and off for nearly 20 years, considering I'm not yet 30, it's been a big part of my life. What works for me is to actually get up. Lingering in bed getting irritated guarantees you're not going to sleep. I used to take sleeping pills... they worked, but I hated feeling so groggy in the morning.

* don't stay in bed
* drink warm milk and eat peanut butter with it, the mix produces tryptophan ...
* well... there is physiological way to relax, but yeah...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:03:24 AM »

Cannabis? Seriously lol you kids and your drugs.

Just wondering...have you ever tried it? If you haven't, how would you know? Also, is Ambien not a drug? Tongue

Ambien will be more effective than cannabis, but with more side effects such as grogginess and more importantly sleep walking (and sleep driving in some cases which is scary). Cannabis in its oral formulation is going to be even more effective at inducing sleep but it's not a wonder drug. And if Clarence has a heart condition, he probably should not take it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:08:12 AM »

Nonsense advice.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:10:05 AM »

I abuse melatonin. I didn't want to start on ambient because I have heard bad stories, and melatonin does well enough, even if it's effects can be placebo.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:28:19 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2013, 09:31:06 AM by Sbane »

Melatonin works best when your sleep cycle is messed up, thus leading to insomnia. If you go to bed at the same time every night, but can't fall asleep, it probably won't work since low melatonin levels is likely not the problem.

And what is this based on? Just pulled it straight out your ass?

This is what I was basing my comments on.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7028792?dopt=Abstract

And as the study shows, it is actually CBD, as opposed to THC which gives Marijuana its hypnotic properties. Perhaps if we had rational laws regarding Marijuana, Clarence could get a CBD capsule and maybe it could work for him without the other effects caused by THC.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:50 AM »

I hadn't thought of that. My schedule is all over the place - class beginning at 8am on Monday/Wednesday and 1:30pm on Tuesday/Thursday.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 09:37:44 AM »

Do you drink any caffeinated beverages in the afternoon or evening? I would definitely cut that out. Alcohol can ruin your sleep as well, but usually the second half of it. Also, don't exercise before going to bed and maybe try and read a book as opposed to watching the TV or being on your computer before you go to bed.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 09:45:10 AM »

Do you drink any caffeinated beverages in the afternoon or evening? I would definitely cut that out. Alcohol can ruin your sleep as well, but usually the second half of it. Also, don't exercise before going to bed and maybe try and read a book as opposed to watching the TV or being on your computer before you go to bed.

I am a diet coke addict during the day, so yes, and I drink coffee on occasion, you have to as a law student, reading hundreds of pages of monotony a week and listening to lectures for hours on end. I am well aware of the horrible things alcohol can do to my sleep cycle. I don't expect to sleep well on nights where I drink Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 09:53:03 AM »

I am a diet coke addict during the day, so yes, and I drink coffee on occasion, you have to as a law student, reading hundreds of pages of monotony a week and listening to lectures for hours on end. I am well aware of the horrible things alcohol can do to my sleep cycle. I don't expect to sleep well on nights where I drink Tongue

For you, I think melatonin would work best since your body is just confused when it needs to go to sleep. The question was directed at Clarence actually. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:57:22 AM »

I have never had a problem getting to sleep for some reason, be it a pot session before or not. I just switch out like a light, and wake up ready to take on the world (unless I have consumed a tad too much alcohol, and then I am a bit sluggish (one reason I am careful with booze these days). Always have. I wonder what in my genetic makeup blessed me at least in this department.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 11:22:16 AM »

All of the above minus exercise may be problems...
Thanks for the tips
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »

Benedryl. Fact: Unisom is the exact same drug in a different box. Next time you are at a store check the labels. There only seem to be about half a dozen drugs in the over the counter pain/cold/flu/sleep section of a pharmacy. Aspirin,Acetomenaphan, Ibuprofen, Caffeine, Naproxen Sodium, Dextromorphan. And yet the marketers have produced hundreds of permutations that take up an entire aisle. Impressive work!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »

Benedryl. Fact: Unisom is the exact same drug in a different box.

Correct.  I've taken it.  Works like a charm
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »

NyQuil has a new version of itself called ZzzQuil without all the medicine in it.  It works nice.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »

NyQuil has a new version of itself called ZzzQuil without all the medicine in it.  It works nice.
Also the same thing as benedryl in a different box.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »

I totally agree with the benedryl/nyquil idea, however there are a lot of things in most formulations that you don't really need. Here you can buy generic diphenhydramine over the counter by itself, super cheap and super effective.

That said I personally prefer 5 mg valium, but it is a bad idea if you have anything to do before say 8-10 hours after taking the pill.  Most of my episodes of 'not hearing the alarm' and missing a class or some other duty were due to valium - now I only take it on a day off, and then only rarely.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »

I use this free application for my computer, called f.lux. What it does is it makes the bright blue light coming from your computer a more orange color at night. You can set your location so that it knows when to turn on. It's much better for the eyes, and there is much less of that burnt in image after you close your eyes.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »

I use this free application for my computer, called f.lux. What it does is it makes the bright blue light coming from your computer a more orange color at night. You can set your location so that it knows when to turn on. It's much better for the eyes, and there is much less of that burnt in image after you close your eyes.

^^^ Came here to post this. I can't recommend Flux highly enough.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 03:35:39 PM »

Getting a very cozy, soft but heavy blanket works for me.  It might sound silly but being warm and comfortable is one of the best ways to coax myself to sleep.  Also, listening to relaxing music and trying not to think about stressful things before bed.

Excellent suggestion as well.....combine this with watch the Golf Channel rerun of tournament play and you'll be in a coma all night.  Smiley
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »

No, never tried cannabis directly. I'm not anti pot, I just have no interest in smoking anything.

And yes, I know ambien is a drug, I was just being cheeky lol
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 06:09:53 PM »

^^^ Came here to post this. I can't recommend Flux highly enough.

Yes, seconded.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »

Weed really is the best option. Plop down on the couch like an hour before bed, eat a few cookies or smoke a bowl, and you'll be out like a light before you even realize you're tired. And you'll wake up feeling great. I used to have a lot of trouble getting to sleep and it's the only thing that's worked for me and it works wonders.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 03:18:14 AM »

Thank you - I just installed it and already love it.

Like Duke, I'm also a Melatonin addict - I'm about ready to pop a few pills before sleeping as due to certain stresses that have occurred in the past hour or two, I have a feeling tonight will be a rough night sleeping.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies