Urban GOP enclaves
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:02:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Urban GOP enclaves
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Urban GOP enclaves  (Read 4902 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »

Everyone has forgotten about what is clearly the largest urban GOP enclave in the nation, at least if you are using "urban" to refer to building patterns rather than hewing strictly to center city boundaries:

The Cuban parts of Miami-Dade.

I mentioned that Tongue, and after southern Brooklyn and Staten Island, that is certainly the most apparent, though with 2012 figures I'm not sure if a Romney CD can be drawn entirely within the urban parts of Miami-Dade (certainly can within the county). I do recall a member posting a McCain district in Bexar (San Antonio) though it likely included suburban areas.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »

How about Indianapolis or Bakersfield, CA?

Most of the Republican-voting parts of Indianapolis are decidedly not urban and wouldn't even part of the city if it wasn't for the expansion to all of Marion County thing. From what I gathered from my time there, the nickname "Circle City" is only used to apply to the area within the I-485 /74 loop. So if you limit to those areas, the only Republican-voting areas are some suburban precincts on the outer southern edge, and an area in the northeast that looks like this.

There is however a notably strong McCain precinct near the middle completely surrounded by strong D precincts I'm curious about.
There may be an answer.
http://www.urbanophile.com/2013/05/05/replay-parallel-societies/

Essentially, the article states that the Fountain Square neighborhood has a huge Appalachian population. I think this may be the area that he refers to (Any Indianapolis experts would be appreciated- this may not be it.)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2013, 10:04:26 PM »

How about Indianapolis or Bakersfield, CA?

Most of the Republican-voting parts of Indianapolis are decidedly not urban and wouldn't even part of the city if it wasn't for the expansion to all of Marion County thing. From what I gathered from my time there, the nickname "Circle City" is only used to apply to the area within the I-485 /74 loop. So if you limit to those areas, the only Republican-voting areas are some suburban precincts on the outer southern edge, and an area in the northeast that looks like this.

There is however a notably strong McCain precinct near the middle completely surrounded by strong D precincts I'm curious about.
There may be an answer.
http://www.urbanophile.com/2013/05/05/replay-parallel-societies/

Essentially, the article states that the Fountain Square neighborhood has a huge Appalachian population. I think this may be the area that he refers to (Any Indianapolis experts would be appreciated- this may not be it.)

Based on voting patterns I would guess that the Mars Hill neighborhood in Southwest Indy, and also the separate city of Speedway are similar to here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies