Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 06:27:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 29
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 107801 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: November 14, 2005, 07:36:14 PM »

Myanmar Declaration of War Bill

Due to the military government of Myanmar's consistent abuses against basic civil rights and their imprisonment of key opposition leaders, the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia declares a state of war to exist between Atlasia and Myanmar.

Myanmar sounds so familiar but I just can't place it..........................
Burma
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #451 on: November 14, 2005, 07:48:39 PM »

I may be putting this in the wrong place but who cares.

Sealand Declaration of War Bill (or Resolution or Whatever

Seeing as Sealand has consisitently violated international law by it's very existance, the Republic of Atlasia hereby declares War on the Principality of Sealand.

WHOA
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #452 on: November 14, 2005, 07:49:52 PM »

I may be putting this in the wrong place but who cares.

Sealand Declaration of War Bill (or Resolution or Whatever

Seeing as Sealand has consisitently violated international law by it's very existance, the Republic of Atlasia hereby declares War on the Principality of Sealand.

WHOA

If we actually fought them, we might win.  In real life, this is.  Manpower is similar.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #453 on: November 14, 2005, 09:14:11 PM »

I am just doing this to smack TexasGurl around Cheesy. Maybe a few scraps of it shall be turned into a working bill. 

CHAINSAW BUDGET SAVINGS BILL

1.  The elimination of Medicaid:
-Over the next eight months (RL years), the budget for federal budget for Medicaid shall be cut by 12.5%.
-All acts pertaining to the Medicaid program are to be repealed at the end of this program.
-$200 million per budget cycle shall be dedicated to assisting the the states in providing their own programs, should they choose to do so.

2. The Federal Department of Education shall have its budget slashed by 90%, starting this cycle. State aid to education shall also be slashed 90%.

3. The Department of Commerce is hereby eliminated.

4. The Department of Housing and Urban Development is hereby eliminated.

5. All non-emergency spending initiatives in the Department of Defense shall have their budgets reduced by 5%.

6. The budget of the Office of Personnel Management shall be slashed 15%.

7. The budget of the Department of Agriculture shall be slashed 75%.

8. The budget of the Environmental Protection Agency shall be slashed 50%.

9. the Federal Government shall offer the civilian portion of the National Aeronautics and Space Agency for auction to bidding individuals and corporations in the United States.

10. The budget for the Department of Labor shall be slashed 50%.

11. All other Federal programs funded through the Internal Revenue Service shall be cut 10%.

12. Where programs are not specifically specificed, the Department of Forum Affairs shall be put in charge of finding specific programs to cut or eliminate to fit the bounds of this bill. They shall be allotted $2 million for administrative expenses for this task.

Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #454 on: November 14, 2005, 09:23:16 PM »

I am just doing this to smack TexasGurl around Cheesy. Maybe a few scraps of it shall be turned into a working bill. 

-Over the next eight months (RL years), the budget for federal budget for Medicaid shall be cut by 12.5%.
-All acts pertaining to the Medicaid program are to be repealed at the end of this program.
-$200 million per budget cycle shall be dedicated to assisting the the states in providing their own programs, should they choose to do so.

2. The Federal Department of Education shall have its budget slashed by 90%, starting this cycle. State aid to education shall also be slashed 90%.

5. All non-emergency spending initiatives in the Department of Defense shall have their budgets reduced by 5%.

9. the Federal Government shall offer the civilian portion of the National Aeronautics and Space Agency for auction to bidding individuals and corporations in the United States.

11. All other Federal programs funded through the Internal Revenue Service shall be cut 10%.

12. Where programs are not specifically specificed, the Department of Forum Affairs shall be put in charge of finding specific programs to cut or eliminate to fit the bounds of this bill. They shall be allotted $2 million for administrative expenses for this task.

13. The President, Vice-President, Cabinet, and Senate shall take a 10% pay cut.

Why isn't the Dept. of Education Completely Eliminated?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #455 on: November 14, 2005, 09:50:26 PM »

13. The President, Vice-President, Cabinet, and Senate shall take a 10% pay cut.

Make it 25%, and you're on. Add that to the bill.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #456 on: November 15, 2005, 04:19:45 AM »

Invoking my powers under Article 3, Section 1, Clause 4 of the Offical Senate Procedural Resolution... I hereby remove the following legislation from the floor on the grounds of them being frivolous and functionally impractical:

The Sealand of War Bill (or Resolution of whatever)

The Chainsaw Budget Savings Bill

The first of these was a warped joke on my part and I apologise for any inconvenience or irritation caused.
I believe my decision on the second of these is also justified:

The Senators who introduced these bills have 72 hours to get 1/3rd of Senators to over-rule these decisions.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #457 on: November 15, 2005, 11:10:13 AM »

No don't, you already had a bill that cut our pay and I re-introduced it for you so there's no need. Smiley
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #458 on: November 15, 2005, 12:56:39 PM »

No don't, you already had a bill that cut our pay and I re-introduced it for you so there's no need. Smiley

Okay then. MasterJedi, will you support placing the bill back on the agenda? I am actually halfway serious on this now, come to think of it. Smacking TexasGurl and Al around is just a bonus Cheesy.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #459 on: November 15, 2005, 02:09:18 PM »

Perhaps if you introduce each section as a seperate bill it would have a better chance of passing?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #460 on: November 15, 2005, 03:15:12 PM »

And you are trying to pick a fight with me why?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #461 on: November 15, 2005, 05:00:23 PM »

Okay then. MasterJedi, will you support placing the bill back on the agenda? I am actually halfway serious on this now, come to think of it. Smacking TexasGurl and Al around is just a bonus Cheesy.

I'm not going to introduce the thing above but I have already re-introduced your pay cut for Senators bill and it's in the waiting.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #462 on: November 15, 2005, 05:41:44 PM »

No, i just like yanking the chains of liberals. Since you, TexasGurl, are one of the more liberal senators who has expressed, alongside Al, a distaste for budget cuts, then you two are the most likely to have your legs pulled. Tongue
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #463 on: November 15, 2005, 05:43:02 PM »

I have been advocating almost 500 billion in cuts.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #464 on: November 15, 2005, 05:47:39 PM »

No, i just like yanking the chains of liberals. Since you, TexasGurl, are one of the more liberal senators who has expressed, alongside Al, a distaste for budget cuts, then you two are the most likely to have your legs pulled. Tongue

I have not expressed a dislike for budget cuts. I do object (and very strongly) to cuts made to programmes that actually work and don't cost much (from a govt. point of view).
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #465 on: November 15, 2005, 05:49:44 PM »

I'm breaking this up into several bills:

CHAINSAW BUDGET SAVINGS BILLS

1.  The Elimination of Medicaid Act :
a. Over the next eight months (RL years), the budget for federal budget for Medicaid shall be cut by 12.5%.
b. All acts pertaining to the Medicaid program are to be repealed at the end of this program.
c. $200 million per budget cycle shall be dedicated to assisting the the states in providing their own programs, should they choose to do so.

2. The Department of Education Budget Reduction Act

a. The Federal Department of Education shall have its budget slashed by 90%, starting this cycle. State aid to education shall also be slashed 90%.
b. The Treasury Department will determine how these cuts are enacted.

3.  The Elimination of the Department of Commerce Act

a. The Department of Commerce is hereby eliminated.
b. Any laws relating to the Department of Commerce are repealed.

4. The Elimination of the Department of Housing and Urban Development Act

a. The Department of Housing and Urban Development is hereby eliminated.
b. Any laws relating to the Department of Housing and Urban Development are repealed.

5. Department of Defense Budget Reduction Act

All non-emergency spending initiatives in the Department of Defense shall have their budgets reduced by 5%.

6. Office of Personell Management Budget Reduction Act

The budget of the Office of Personnel Management shall be slashed 15%.

7.  Department of Agriculture Budget Reduction Act
The budget of the Department of Agriculture shall be slashed 75%.

8. Environmental Protection Agency Budget Reduction Act
The budget of the Environmental Protection Agency shall be slashed 50%.

9. NASA Auction Act
a. the Federal Government shall offer the civilian portion of the National Aeronautics and Space Agency for auction to bidding individuals, foundations, and corporations in the United States.
b. if NASA as a whole is to be placed on auction, the starting bid shall be $10 billion; if it is to be auctioned piece-by-piece, the combined total of starting bids shall be $10 billion.

10. Department of Labor Budget Reduction Act
The budget for the Department of Labor shall be slashed 50%.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #466 on: November 15, 2005, 05:51:17 PM »

Make defense at least 15% and i could support this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #467 on: November 15, 2005, 06:05:12 PM »

I could be wrong, but from memory the budget is not done in this way (ie; through legislation).
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #468 on: November 15, 2005, 06:06:16 PM »

Of course it is.
How else would we do it?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #469 on: November 15, 2005, 06:11:41 PM »

I think we're supposed to have a look at the provisional budget (passed earlier this year) and then revise it. I seem to remember the whole thing being worryingly complicated actually...

Could be wrong
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #470 on: November 15, 2005, 07:50:12 PM »

We can do it through legislation, too, I believe.  I agree with TexasGurl; slash Defense down by 15% and we're golden.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #471 on: November 15, 2005, 09:15:33 PM »

We can do it through legislation, too, I believe.  I agree with TexasGurl; slash Defense down by 15% and we're golden.

15% on Defense? A little much. True, there is some pork in that budget, but our naval fleet and air force are aging, and our soldiers also need to be supplied. After all, if I'm not mistaken our military is growing, and rightfully so (there is Afghanistan, and Iraq, and maybe Iran or North Korea or our own borders to worry about). 5%, MAYBE 10.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #472 on: November 15, 2005, 09:18:51 PM »

All right, I'll agree to 10%.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #473 on: November 15, 2005, 09:27:38 PM »

I call for a 50% tax cut paid for by repealing money saving welfare reform.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #474 on: November 16, 2005, 12:31:41 AM »

Y'all do recognize what a 10% cut does right?

Choose your poison:

1. Pay increases are eliminated, resulting in even lower retention rates and more military poverty.
2. Procurement to replace older and/or damaged weapon systems is halted, resulting in a severe drop in ready weapons because of retirements/combat losses.
3. Training is cut down, resulting in less well trained soldiers overseas and more deaths.
4. Research is cut, resulting in other countries developing the weapon systems of the future rather than us.

I can give other examples for some other cuts Daniel has proposed, but at least some of those programs can be reconstituted on the regional level. The military is a federal responsibility though, and one we shouldn't be quick to ignore.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies