Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:10:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 108527 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: September 08, 2005, 05:05:31 PM »

Come on Senators, we need a few more bills! Cheesy

Pretty soon, we'll have nothing more to do. Sad

Bill Bill

1. This bill is hereby recognized as a bill.

2. If you pass it, there is a chance that something might happen.

3. If you do not pass it, there is a chance that something might not happen.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #376 on: September 08, 2005, 05:12:49 PM »

Bill Bill

I endorse this bill, especially if you add a provision that is similar to "4. If you amend this bill, it will be changed."
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #377 on: September 09, 2005, 07:21:03 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2005, 07:26:06 AM by Senator Porce »

National Endowment for the Arts Elimination Bill

1. The National Endowment for the Arts is hereby abolished.
2. The National Endowment for the Humanities is hereby abolished.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #378 on: September 09, 2005, 07:45:29 AM »

Bill Bill

I endorse this bill, especially if you add a provision that is similar to "4. If you amend this bill, it will be changed."

The Atlasian Monster Raving Loony Party is 1117% behind this bill, looking very silly, eating lots of cake. Mmm...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #379 on: September 09, 2005, 12:08:05 PM »

National Endowment for the Arts Elimination Bill

1. The National Endowment for the Arts is hereby abolished.
2. The National Endowment for the Humanities is hereby abolished.

Ebowed, they've already been abolished due to the budget cuts in July.

If you want to abolish them again, go right ahead.  Smiley
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #380 on: September 09, 2005, 02:03:08 PM »

Well, the July Budget cuts haven't come into effect yet. Tongue As of now, they are just proposals; the actual bill will have to be passed in November.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #381 on: September 09, 2005, 03:17:04 PM »

So I may as well keep the bill in the quewe so they're abolished faster?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #382 on: September 09, 2005, 03:36:51 PM »

So I may as well keep the bill in the quewe so they're abolished faster?
Yes, certainly, by all means do so.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #383 on: September 09, 2005, 10:30:11 PM »

I'm not sure if this should be an amendment to another bill, but, here you go:

Declaration of Candidacy Act

1. In order to be considered an official candidate in a federal election,    one must declare their candidacy in the Candidate Declaration Thread which shall be monitored by the Secretary of Forum Affairs.

This already happens, but I think we shoud just make it official.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #384 on: September 10, 2005, 10:11:28 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2005, 11:29:18 AM by Senator True Independent »

Here's another bill:

SoFA Absence Bill

1. If the SoFA or DSoFA has either not closed the voting booth or has not shown that they are certifying the results within one half hour of the end of voting and have not assigned a replacement to do so, those in the aforementioned situation shall be replaced by the highest office holder who is not a candidate in the federal election in the following list to certify the election results:

1. Vice-President
2. PPT of the Senate
3. Secretary of State
4. Secretary of Defense
5. Secretary of the Treasury
6. District 1 senator
7. District 2 senator
8. District 3 senator
9. District 4 senator
10. District 5 senator
11. Mideast Regional senator
12. Midwest Regional senator
13. Northeast Regional senator
14. Pacific Regional senator
15. Southeast Regional senator

2. For every five minutes after the half hour time limit for the SoFA/DSoFA has elapsed, each said office holder shall have five minutes to show they are certifying the results, before moving onto the next office holder on the list.

Just to clear up the problem we had in the last election.  Some of the language may be confusing though.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #385 on: September 10, 2005, 11:02:02 AM »

SoFA Absence Bill

... those in the aforementioned situation shall be replaced by the highest office holder in the following list to certify the election results...

Perhaps this list could be improved by the addition of the phrase "who is not a candidate in the present election"?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #386 on: September 10, 2005, 11:28:50 AM »

SoFA Absence Bill

... those in the aforementioned situation shall be replaced by the highest office holder in the following list to certify the election results...

Perhaps this list could be improved by the addition of the phrase "who is not a candidate in the present election"?

Good suggestion, I'll change it.  Thanks.  Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #387 on: September 11, 2005, 07:53:44 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2005, 08:11:25 AM by Senator Porce »

Lowering Registration Post Count Requirement Amendment

1. Article V, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Atlasian Constitution is amended to read as follows:
"A person may become a registered voter if they have attained twenty-five posts at the forum.  In registration, the person must state their name and State of fantasy residence; In addition, they may optionally state a political affiliation."
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #388 on: September 11, 2005, 02:37:14 PM »

Support for Atlasia's Soldiers Bill

Section 1 - Pay for Armed Forces Personnel

An increase in annual pay of $3,000 for all active duty military personnel and reserve and National Guard personnel serving in a zone of special danger at any time during the fiscal year and an increase in annual pay of $1,000 for all other military personnel shall take effect in fiscal year 2006.

Section 2 - Funding
The funds for the above salary increases shall be derived from the budget of the Defense Department.

Section 3 - Recruitment
Recruitment for the armed forces shall not occur on the grounds of institutions used primarily for public primary or secondary education.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #389 on: September 14, 2005, 09:29:21 PM »

Ebowed, why drop the post requirements when we've just seen pellakan jump in and get 80 posts in less than a day. Bad idea.

Q, why ban recruiting in high schools? That's pretty much where military recruiting happens.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #390 on: September 14, 2005, 09:57:19 PM »

Ebowed, why drop the post requirements when we've just seen pellakan jump in and get 80 posts in less than a day. Bad idea.
I submitted the amendment before pellaken began posting like crazy.

Some people only post when they have something important to say.  While for most of us getting 50 posts in a few days is no problem, it's a big number for some newbies.

Also, I get the impression that pellaken would have posted less if he didn't need 50 posts to register.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #391 on: September 17, 2005, 10:10:27 AM »

My idea but Emsworth wrote it due to my lack of time, thanks again for that. Smiley

Hate Crime Laws Abolition Bill

1. No crime shall be defined as a "hate crime."
2. The punishment imposed for a crime shall not be increased on the basis of the criminal's bias or prejudice against any particular race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, or other class of persons.
3. The Hate Crimes Statistics Act of 1990, the Hate Crimes Sentencing Enhancement Act of 1994, the Church Arson Prevention Act of 1996, and all amendments to those acts are hereby repealed.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #392 on: September 17, 2005, 01:53:05 PM »

I submitted the amendment before pellaken began posting like crazy.

Some people only post when they have something important to say.  While for most of us getting 50 posts in a few days is no problem, it's a big number for some newbies.

Also, I get the impression that pellaken would have posted less if he didn't need 50 posts to register.

The point of post counts is not to exclude newbies from participating, but rather try to get them involved in the forum and posting. We've seen Pellakan go for 50 posts, and right away, he's had a reason to get involved. I think one thing we all want is 100% involved participants, rather than the post 18 times and show up when Naso calls people we used to have.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: September 19, 2005, 02:38:57 AM »

Pellaken certainly has hurt my case for the constitutional amendment.

However, we don't get many really involved active members anymore.  When I joined there was only an 18 post limit and I've turned out fine.  In fact, I had the 18 posts necessary; I just waited to register because I wasn't sure I knew enough about how Atlasia worked.  (I remember asking shortly after I registered why everyone hated Mike Naso, lol.)  A lower post limit does make it easier for trolls or tomatosoupers to show up, but it also makes it easier for perfectly fine new members to get involved too.  As I said, many people only post when they think it's important.  Pellaken, who has utilized the "5,000 posts by the end of September" thread, is obviously not one of those members.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #394 on: September 19, 2005, 08:54:32 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2005, 03:44:53 PM by Senator DanielX »

Here is a re-proposal:

Fatwa Appreciation Act

Wheras the current government of Iran is run by an insane, extremist Ayatollah, the State Department shall have the right to publicly mock any insane fatwas that the Grand Ayatollah of Iran issues.

EDIT: Emsworth, I'm serious.....
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #395 on: September 20, 2005, 12:10:34 PM »

Forestry (Sustainable Development) Bill

For every tree cut down by a company, co-operative or individual working in the forestry industry, that company, co-operative or individual must plant two or more trees in the same forest or other woodland environment
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #396 on: September 21, 2005, 04:34:04 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2005, 04:46:12 PM by Senator MasterJedi »

Atlasian Symbols Act

1. The Senate recognizes that Atlasia is without symbols.
2. The Senate agrees to create the following symbols: National Motto, National Flower, National Bird, National Tree, National Fish and National Animal.
3. If passed each Senator shall submit themselves, or get from his constituents 10 options for each symbol to the Secretary of Forum Affairs.
4. After all options are received the Secretary of Forum Affairs shall administer a vote on each symbol, using preferential voting. Whichever symbol receives the most support shall become the national symbol for each option.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #397 on: September 21, 2005, 04:35:19 PM »

It's a new Senate so I must re-introduce this. Smiley

Species Act of 2005

1. Endangered/Threatened Species
   a. Atlasia hereby recognizes the Endangered/Threatened Species List of animals and plants.
   b. Any individual wanting to bring an endangered or threatened species into Atlasia shall have to purchase a license allowing them to own said species plus an additional fee of 100,000 dollars for each animal brought in. In addition each individual must have the space they plan to hold said species inspected and approved by a local zoological society.
   c. Any zoo or zoological society may freely bring endangered or threatened species into the US if they haven’t been cited for animal rights as long as they notify the government of Atlasia.
   d. If any endangered or threatened species is proved to have been knowingly killed in a court of law said offender shall be fined 500,000 on the first offense, 1 million and 5 years in prison for the second offense and 2 million and 30 years in prison for the third offense. If the offender commits a fourth offense life in prison shall be enforced.

2. Invasive Species
   a. Atlasia hereby recognizes invasive species as a problem to the nation’s environment.
   b. An invasive species shall be known as any non-native plant or animal that disrupts or destroys the natural state of the environment.
   c. Only zoos or zoological societies shall be allowed to import invasive species into the US.
   d. Any private company or individual found in a court of law to have knowingly brought in an invasive species shall be fined 2 million dollars and serve 30 years in prison for the first offense. If a second offense occurs the offender fine shall double to 4 million and spend life in prison.
    e. The government of Atlasia shall remake the list of invasive plants to take into account plants that are already used in landscaping and other common uses based on the plant's level of invasiveness.

3. Species Tracker
   a. Atlasia's Fish and Wildlife Service shall be required to create a computer system to track the import and export of endangered, threatened and invasive species into and out of Atlasia.  In addition this system is required to keep on file the information of any previous offender.
   b. Any endangered, threatened or invasive species import or export must be reported the Atlasia’s Fish and Wildlife Service.
   c. Any individual, company, zoo or zoological society that currently has endangered, threatened or invasive species has two years to report all of said species to Atlasia’s Fish and Wildlife Service to be logged in the computer system.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #398 on: September 21, 2005, 04:35:46 PM »

Atlasian Symbols Act

2. The Senate agrees to create the following symbols: National Motto, National Flower, National Bird, National Tree, National Fish and National Animal.
3. If passed each Senator shall submit themselves, or get from his constituents 10 options for each symbol to the Secretary of Forum Affairs.
4. After all options are received the Secretary of Forum Affairs shall administer a vote on each symbol, using preferential voting. Whichever symbol receives the most support shall become the national symbol for each option.

This sounds like an interesting idea, Senator. Could we add a flag as well?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #399 on: September 21, 2005, 04:36:45 PM »

Atlasian Symbols Act

This sounds like an interesting idea, Senator. Could we add a flag as well?

Yes we can, I'll go edit this right away.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies