Obama-supporting woman from OH says she voted twice and it's OK to do so
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:22:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama-supporting woman from OH says she voted twice and it's OK to do so
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama-supporting woman from OH says she voted twice and it's OK to do so  (Read 2732 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 09:38:32 PM »

The US badly needs a Central Residence Registry (CRR), that tracks every move of a person in and out of a city or those persons pay a hefty fine if they don't

What?

He's right.

There's no chance of it happening.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 03:49:33 AM »

Of course it won't happen. It's too sensible.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »

This would not be possible here for several checks and balances reasons:

In AUT, you are automatically registered to vote and assigned to a certain precinct in your city. You can ONLY vote in this precinct, unless you request an absentee ballot. With this absentee ballot you can either vote by post, at your assigned precinct or at any precinct in AUT. If you request an absentee ballot and send it in by post, you are UNABLE to vote at a precint station. Why ? Because the voter list at the precinct would show "absentee ballot requested". And because you sent it in by post already, you cannot vote anymore because if you requested an absentee ballot, you HAVE TO BRING this absentee ballot with you to the precinct. If you already sent it in by post, that's impossible.

If by "AUT", you indicate somewhere other than America, I'm pretty sure all of those are laws here as well. Having worked on the last election, I can tell you that yes, there are indicators that say that someone's requested an absentee ballot, that they're not registered in a precinct, and so on.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 09:14:54 AM »

This woman is a hero, and she should be commended for her efforts in holding the line in the crucial firewall state of Ohio against the late Romney onslaught.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 10:08:13 AM »

Great, some cannon fodder for Republicans trying to justify voter suppression... Roll Eyes

Voter suppression to have an ID to prove who you are before you vote? Like how you need some form of an ID to drive, get benefits from your government, get benefits for insurance, leave the country but it's ok to not have to prove who you are to vote?

These IDs could even be given away for free to every citizen. Automatically register everyone to vote when they reach 18 and issue them an ID for free. It would then basically fix the situation and if anyone tried to vote twice it would solve that problem.

But I suspect you and many others will be hollering of "voter suppression" in 2016 when unless another black candidate is nominated by the Dems the black vote will fall by about 20-30% because they just don't care.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 10:11:01 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The way IDs are currently handled, yes. It would be a problem.

That would be a very reasonable solution, comparable to most modern democracies.

Racist.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »

Great, some cannon fodder for Republicans trying to justify voter suppression... Roll Eyes

Voter suppression to have an ID to prove who you are before you vote? Like how you need some form of an ID to drive, get benefits from your government, get benefits for insurance, leave the country but it's ok to not have to prove who you are to vote?

These IDs could even be given away for free to every citizen. Automatically register everyone to vote when they reach 18 and issue them an ID for free. It would then basically fix the situation and if anyone tried to vote twice it would solve that problem

Except they won't be, so the problem remains.

'Coincidentally', PA's voter ID laws didn't accept state-issued welfare cards as proof of idetity at the polls.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »

'Coincidentally', PA's voter ID laws didn't accept state-issued welfare cards as proof of idetity at the polls.

I'm sure that was an honest mistake when drafting the law.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 10:29:11 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2013, 10:31:20 AM by Sbane »

These IDs could even be given away for free to every citizen. Automatically register everyone to vote when they reach 18 and issue them an ID for free. It would then basically fix the situation and if anyone tried to vote twice it would solve that problem.

But I suspect you and many others will be hollering of "voter suppression" in 2016 when unless another black candidate is nominated by the Dems the black vote will fall by about 20-30% because they just don't care.

Don't be disingenuous. Republicans almost never give out the ID's for free when they pass these laws and would actively oppose universal registration. Why? Because they don't want minorities and poor people to vote.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »

I'd like MasterJedi to explain all the red counties on this map, of which many are not Democratic. Why were they opposed to Voter ID?

Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »

You mean there is NO residence registry in the US? Huh LOL, this country never ceases to amaze...

There's no residence registry in the UK, Canada, Australia or NZ either (though adult citizens must register to vote in Australia).

What there is, though, is a national, non-partisan agency that runs elections with at least moderate competence. That's really the issue here.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 01:17:24 PM »

If we signed women up for selective service and then used selective service as the voter rolls,everything would be solved.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 02:12:16 PM »

I and most Democrats would happily support this. But the point of Republican voter ID schemes is not to make voting easier, or else they would propose something like this. It's to put up roadblocks for poors, minorities and youngs so that Republicans can more easily win elections.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 02:19:45 PM »

Exactly. If voter IDs were free and easily accessible, I would wholeheartedly support them.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 02:31:14 PM »

If it makes you feel better about yourself to call me that go ahead. It's not like it's true or that you (or many others) would believe it's true just by saying that myself so what does it really matter.

I and most Democrats would happily support this. But the point of Republican voter ID schemes is not to make voting easier, or else they would propose something like this. It's to put up roadblocks for poors, minorities and youngs so that Republicans can more easily win elections.

If it was actually introduced by a Republican I doubt you and many other Dems would support it. The "anything proposed by the other party is horrible" thing is getting really annoying lately.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »

MJ, explain those red Republican counties in my map above then.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 03:21:11 PM »

MJ's intellectual dishonesty has reached comical levels.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »

It's not a new development.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 03:41:41 PM »

If it was actually introduced by a Republican I doubt you and many other Dems would support it. The "anything proposed by the other party is horrible" thing is getting really annoying lately.

So why didn't the Republicans propose that in any of the states where they tried to pass voter ID laws?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 08:05:51 PM »

It's not a new development.

If it makes you feel any better I have never even had a shred of respect for Antonio and completely lost it for Franzl a long time ago. So congrats! Smiley

So why didn't the Republicans propose that in any of the states where they tried to pass voter ID laws?

Because not all Republicans are the same and just because I support something that would be incredibly expensive to implement and would increase the size of government would guarentee that most fiscal conservatives and those that support small government wouldn't like it either. I on the other hand don't really think there is anything wrong with having a big government as long as we can keep control of the beaurocrats so they can be held accountable, unlike in Europe.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2013, 09:37:10 PM »

You may personally believe in what you have said, but that is not how voter ID laws are being applied across the country.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2013, 02:38:39 AM »

If it makes you feel any better I have never even had a shred of respect for Antonio and completely lost it for Franzl a long time ago. So congrats! Smiley

I'm sure I'll lie awake at night for the next week wondering where I went wrong.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2013, 03:07:30 AM »

MJ, I don't think you get to defend a certain actual policy by bringing up fantasy policies that don't exist. That's not how arguing works.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2013, 03:24:11 AM »

MJ, I don't think you get to defend a certain actual policy by bringing up fantasy policies that don't exist. That's not how arguing works.

Guess we shouldn't blame MJ alone. That type of debate seems to be mandated by the GOP platform.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 05:56:21 AM »

Guess we shouldn't blame MJ alone. That type of debate seems to be mandated by the GOP platform.

When your party does crazy things and certain annoying people tend to hold them up as example of the "all" or "most", it becomes a necessary survival instinct. Tongue So its your fault. Tongue

I'm sure I'll lie awake at night for the next week wondering where I went wrong.

He seems to have lost interest in playing with the kiddies in the sandbox and now sticks to just hurling lightning bolts at people. He is hardly the only one on this forum who operates in such manner.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies