Canadian by-elections, 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 05:32:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 40
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2013  (Read 72225 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:09 PM »

They were pretty big in the lat 90's and early 2000s; You couldn't grow up in canada without hearing that song!
Shes also a lawyer too which brings some "prefessionalism" to her not only a cultural popularity. I want to know who these other two candidates might be (the globe said 5)

After Stéphane Moraille, Julie Demers and Larry Rousseau the two other interested are a young hip hop Haitian singer (no name given) and Mario Leclerc. Leclerc works for PSAC in Ontario and was NDP candidate in Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry South in 2011.

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/canada/385526/npd-les-candidats-se-bousculent-aux-portes-de-bourassa
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #601 on: August 22, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »

They were pretty big in the lat 90's and early 2000s; You couldn't grow up in canada without hearing that song!
Shes also a lawyer too which brings some "prefessionalism" to her not only a cultural popularity. I want to know who these other two candidates might be (the globe said 5)

After Stéphane Moraille, Julie Demers and Larry Rousseau the two other interested are a young hip hop Haitian singer (no name given) and Mario Leclerc. Leclerc works for PSAC in Ontario and was NDP candidate in Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry South in 2011.

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/canada/385526/npd-les-candidats-se-bousculent-aux-portes-de-bourassa

Thanks! Leclerc's probably out for sure; A no name hip-hop artist might be overshadowed by Moraille... I think the battle for the nomination will be between the first three Moraille, Demers, Rousseau. Moraille is probably the biggest "name" not sure how deep her support is with members esp given that Demers has probably been working/building the membership/riding since 2011 and Rousseau is going to have the labour backing.

Hatman - Agreed! many of the wards are far to big (population), and you can guess those federal ridings that are getting redrawn are the same ones were wards are overpopulated (TOcentre, TS, Willowdale, etc). easy enough fix would be to break each new federal riding in two like what was done to create the current wards (not the best, boring, missed opportunity, etc)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #602 on: August 22, 2013, 09:47:35 AM »

Toronto should have 100 wards IMO.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #603 on: August 25, 2013, 04:40:38 PM »

I've heard that the Liberals have recruited a fairly decent local candidate for Provencher, and from what details I've been told that that fellow is probably David Banman, Steinbach town councillor and [former?] Tory

Not that I think that's a pickup, but stranger things have happened
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #604 on: August 25, 2013, 05:04:31 PM »

Oh wow, a TOWN COUNCILLOR? This things over folks.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #605 on: August 25, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »

Following the Toronto NDP model, it would seem.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #606 on: August 25, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »

Following the Toronto NDP model, it would seem.

They nominated a left wing journalist?
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #607 on: August 25, 2013, 07:06:40 PM »

Jack Layton was some lefty Hogtown councillor before the NDP picked him up
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #608 on: August 25, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »

beats some McGill students and a Gatineau barmaid, if you want to be snarky
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #609 on: August 25, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »

beats some McGill students and a Gatineau barmaid, if you want to be snarky

Touche. I read your comment as being more along the lines of the Liberals think of him being this "amazing star candidate", but upon further review you weren't exactly suggesting that.

Jack Layton was some lefty Hogtown councillor before the NDP picked him up

High profile city councillor in Canada's largest city > town councillor in some tiny rural German enclave in Canada's 2nd most forgotten province. (no offence to Manitobans)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #610 on: August 25, 2013, 08:20:33 PM »

What's Canada's most forgotten province?
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #611 on: August 25, 2013, 08:45:52 PM »

What's Canada's most forgotten province?

He's forgotten.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #612 on: August 25, 2013, 10:24:29 PM »

Probably New Brunswick
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #613 on: August 26, 2013, 05:43:14 AM »

PEI? Anne of Green Gables, red soil, potatoes... and... er... that's it.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #614 on: August 26, 2013, 06:58:09 AM »

I've heard that the Liberals have recruited a fairly decent local candidate for Provencher, and from what details I've been told that that fellow is probably David Banman, Steinbach town councillor and [former?] Tory

A former Tory and a councillor... Rural ridings, its hard for local politicians to really be "stars" since where they have been elected usually constitutes a small portion of the riding. BUT that's a good score for the Liberals.
If the NDP can find an equally strong candidate for Brandon-Souris... the tories might just have to actually fight these by-elections... anyone pushing for Ed Schreyer to run here? Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #615 on: August 26, 2013, 07:00:18 AM »

This is correct. Wink

A former Tory and a councillor... Rural ridings, its hard for local politicians to really be "stars" since where they have been elected usually constitutes a small portion of the riding. BUT that's a good score for the Liberals.
If the NDP can find an equally strong candidate for Brandon-Souris... the tories might just have to actually fight these by-elections... anyone pushing for Ed Schreyer to run here? Smiley

It's true, the Liberals probably couldn't hope for anyone better. Except maybe in the Franco-Manitoban community.

And Schreyer wouldn't be a good choice, how old is he?
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #616 on: August 26, 2013, 07:49:19 AM »

Ed is 77 (wiki) ... but then again, how old was broadbent before being reelected in Ottawa Centre (ok, hes 77 as well). Broadbent was really brought out to win the riding, but i think was never touted as a long-term MP. He only served 1 two year term... now the seat is once again a strong hold.
SO... Schreyer could run, serve his term (2 years almost 1 + a few months) and not run in 2015. Or could run, win (my hope) and serve one term in gov't (another hope)
But we've had older MPs no?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #617 on: August 26, 2013, 08:53:08 AM »

Broadbent was brought out to win a pro-incumbent left leaning riding (Ottawa Centre) which if we lost, would probably still be Liberal to this day. Provencher on the other hand would be a wrong riding to bring Schreyer to. Schreyer doesn't even have the same level of popularity as Broadbent, although I could be wrong (in Manitoba at least). Might make better sense to run him in Winnipeg North.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #618 on: August 26, 2013, 09:22:16 AM »

Bachand will announce his retirement from politics today, which opens up Outremont. Will Couillard find a star candidate to drop in that crown jewel?
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #619 on: August 26, 2013, 09:24:46 AM »

Broadbent was brought out to win a pro-incumbent left leaning riding (Ottawa Centre) which if we lost, would probably still be Liberal to this day. Provencher on the other hand would be a wrong riding to bring Schreyer to. Schreyer doesn't even have the same level of popularity as Broadbent, although I could be wrong (in Manitoba at least). Might make better sense to run him in Winnipeg North.

Good call; But i think Rebecca Blaikie still has her eyes on running. BUT now that Elmwood-Transcona is Tory held, that would be a better fit for her (dads coattails and all)
... I was thinking of Ed running in Brandon-Souris, but you make a good point in that he would be better utilized to win back a left-leaning former NDP riding.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #620 on: August 26, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »

In other by-election news, Toronto city council is deciding whether or not to hold a by-election in Doug Holyday's old ward at this very moment. There's a liveblog here: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/26/byelection-or-appointment-toronto-council-decide-how-to-replace-doug-hoyldays-seat
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #621 on: August 26, 2013, 10:41:48 AM »

Toronto City council votes 19-14 to appoint someone to replace Holyday. Why does Toronto City Council hate democracy?
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #622 on: August 26, 2013, 10:52:28 AM »

Toronto City council votes 19-14 to appoint someone to replace Holyday. Why does Toronto City Council hate democracy?

Meh, they are also pushing for preferential ballots and allowing non-citizen residents to vote. 

And on the Brandon-Souris file, I'd like to see them dig up Rick Borotsik, who was the PC MP for the area between 1997 and 2004, who is currently the MLA for Brandon-West.  He was pro-gay marriage and endorsed Martin in the 2004 election, and mused about joining the Liberals at several points toward the end of his federal career. That would be a coup
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #623 on: August 26, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »

Meh, they are also pushing for preferential ballots and allowing non-citizen residents to vote. 

And how's that working out? Tongue

My hate for Toronto extends well beyond just sports at this point.
adma
« Reply #624 on: August 26, 2013, 09:55:10 PM »

Does anyone have notional *provincial* figures for Brandon-Souris and Provencher?  In the former case, especially, we might be able to sense what an NDP "optimum" might be...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies