Canadian by-elections, 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:24:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 40
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2013  (Read 72116 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: November 21, 2013, 06:57:43 PM »

No matter what the result will be in TC, I can guarantee the NDP will win the majority of polls.

Why's that?

Well, the NDP won them last time.  If this thing boils down to a 2-horse race with the Tories in single digits, then expect the Liberals to hit 80% in many Rosedale polls. The NDP does terrible in Rosedale, and I can't see that changing this time. It'll act as a giant vote sink, while south of Bloor, the Liberals will hold their own, but lost most of the polls.

The key to an NDP victory is turnout. The demographics south of Bloor are very NDP-friendly, but they need those people to get out to vote and outnumber everyone north of Bloor. 

In the past, the riding was a write off for the NDP. Maybe because the riding used to be only between the Liberals and Tories, so left of centre voters went Liberal.
adma
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #751 on: November 21, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »

However tokenly, I doubt the Tories will be reduced to single digits in TC; nor will the Libs be quite *that* high in Rosedale.  But it'll depend on *how* well the NDP does relative to the Grits re them winning more polls (and of course, what'd help is an assist from the Tories winning polls in Rosedale)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #752 on: November 21, 2013, 09:28:44 PM »

However tokenly, I doubt the Tories will be reduced to single digits in TC; nor will the Libs be quite *that* high in Rosedale.  But it'll depend on *how* well the NDP does relative to the Grits re them winning more polls (and of course, what'd help is an assist from the Tories winning polls in Rosedale)

If this was a general election, I'd agree that the Tories would get at least 10%, but by-elections have a tendency to depress support parties that have no hope of winning. I'm sure many Tories in Rosedale will either stay home or hold their nose and vote Liberal.
Krago
« Reply #753 on: November 22, 2013, 12:08:40 AM »

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #754 on: November 22, 2013, 12:51:24 AM »

Windsor: Oh, Techumseh...
London: Wow, interesting to see the NDP making inroads in the west and north part of the riding.
Etobicoke: Yawn
Ottawa South: So, that's what a close race looks like here? I knew the NDP didn't win any polls (their campaign didn't seem to be interested in winning any). Fun to see the Tories winning in areas I've never seen them win before. Looks like my poll was comfortably Liberal despite going NDP federally. Oh well.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #755 on: November 22, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »

My profile of Toronto Centre: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.ca/2013/11/november-25-by-election-profiles.html
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #756 on: November 23, 2013, 09:28:52 PM »

Provencher profile: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.ca/2013/11/november-25-federal-by-election_23.html
Krago
« Reply #757 on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »

2011 Federal Election

Rosedale/Moore Park (17%)
LIB 46%, CONS 39%, NDP 11%, GRN 4%

Rest of Toronto Centre (83%)
LIB 40%, NDP 34%, CONS 19%, GRN 5%
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #758 on: November 24, 2013, 11:43:21 AM »

I haven't been following these closely, but from a glance at past results/current national polling I'm guessing anything other than four holds would be surprising?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #759 on: November 24, 2013, 12:42:33 PM »

I haven't been following these closely, but from a glance at past results/current national polling I'm guessing anything other than four holds would be surprising?

Brandon-Souris is almost certainly going Liberal at this point. If you just look at past results this wouldn't make any sense. But the Liberals are running the son of a former PC MP, and there's other factors at play. (The riding was the only PC riding in Western Canada from 1997-2004, and it never elected a Reform / Canadian Alliance MP, also Justin Trudeaumania, etc)

There's an outside chance the NDP could win Toronto Centre. Polling is incredibly difficult there due to the demographics. Also an outside chance in Bourassa. ALSO, an outside chance the Liberals pick up Provencher.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #760 on: November 24, 2013, 12:43:19 PM »

Yes. Expect some closer-than-expected results if recent by-elections are any indication, any flips would be surprising.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #761 on: November 24, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »

Though I would warn (again) that the record of constituency polling is lamentable just about everywhere. It's nice to have riding polls for these by-elections, but ought to take care...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #762 on: November 24, 2013, 01:04:28 PM »

Which is why we haven't posted the recent ones from a certain firm. My prediction is still a hold for all incumbents.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #763 on: November 24, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »

And here I thought predicting a Liberal win in Brandon was a "safe" prediction.  But given polls RB, do you honestly think a Liberal win would be a "surprise"? You may think it won't happen, but thinking it wont be a surprise?
DL
Canada

« Reply #764 on: November 24, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »

Bourassa will be closer than people think - as much as I am a sceptic about Forum polls - I can't ignore that a week ago ther Liberals led the NDP 50% to 21% and as of yesterday the gap collapsed to 43% to 31%
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #765 on: November 24, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #766 on: November 24, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »

I also think than no seat will change hands.
I expect easy wins in Provencher (Conservative) and Toronto-Centre (Liberal), and close wins in Brandon-Souris (Conservative) and Bourassa (Coderre had an huge personnal vote).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #767 on: November 24, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »

I'm just very skeptical of Forum and riding polls generally, especially with Ottawa South (25 points off!) in mind. Calgary Centre had its own local controversies too. For now I'll wait and see. I'd be mildly surprised, not shocked or anything like that.

Dubourg suggests pot isn't a priority for Trudeau.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #768 on: November 24, 2013, 06:56:09 PM »

In FR's defence, they mentioned how unreliable Ottawa South was in terms of polling before the by-election.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #769 on: November 24, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »

Agreed... IF she wins, it wont be by much, like a 44-42 kind margin... I could see her win University-Rosedale and a shoe-in for the new Toronto Centre (but to me that feels more like a Howllett riding or one a minority candidate could/should be targeted to run in)

Jennifer Hollett is a better fit for the new Fort York riding.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #770 on: November 24, 2013, 08:53:50 PM »

The Tories had a lead in Calgary Centre Polling especially towards the end. Things weren't surprising from a polling standpoint
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #771 on: November 24, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »

I think the Liberals, and certainly the Greens underpolled in Calgary Centre, correct? That means bad news for the Tories in Brandon, and maybe even Provencher! Don't underestimate the power of by-elections.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #772 on: November 24, 2013, 09:49:24 PM »

I think the Liberals, and certainly the Greens underpolled in Calgary Centre, correct? That means bad news for the Tories in Brandon, and maybe even Provencher! Don't underestimate the power of by-elections.

Going through Grenier's records, it seems the polls were pretty close on the ball for everyone but the NDP in Calgary Centre, who fell bellow their lower bound, though in Victoria the Greens definitely underpolled
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #773 on: November 25, 2013, 12:32:21 AM »

I stand corrected. I remembered being surprised.

Anyways, here is my profile on Brandon-Souris: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.ca/2013/11/november-25-federal-by-election_25.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #774 on: November 25, 2013, 12:34:30 AM »

I'm with Wells, as usual.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies