Canadian by-elections, 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 04:39:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 40
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2013  (Read 72220 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: November 15, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »

What a ridiculous name.
"Oligopoles and Big Corporations Friends", rather, would be more accurate.

I don't go around calling you the Union-Trog Party do I?

No, but I do not call my party "Working Class Party" or "Union Party", as it is silly and ridiculous.
I come from a small business owner family and sadly no party ever really attemped to address the issues.

Big businesses have most contracts, are much less taxed than us (they have all sort of loopholes) and can use their considerable money to do more concentration (so, less choice and poorer quality for customer and death of local choices which are good for the local economy).

I doubt NDP will help us either (most small businesses are not-unionsed), but claiming than Liberals or Conservatives are any better for the real free entreprise, which is small or family businesses is just wrong.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #726 on: November 15, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »

What a ridiculous name.

No, but I do not call my party "Working Class Party" or "Union Party", as it is silly and ridiculous.
I come from a small business owner family and sadly no party ever really attemped to address the issues.

Big businesses have most contracts, are much less taxed than us (they have all sort of loopholes) and can use their considerable money to do more concentration (so, less choice and poorer quality for customer and death of local choices which are good for the local economy).

I doubt NDP will help us either (most small businesses are not-unionsed), but claiming than Liberals or Conservatives are any better for the real free entreprise, which is small or family businesses is just wrong.

I'm sorry you don't like big business, but terms like 'Free Enterprise Coalition' exist for a reason, and that reason is that the BC Liberal Party is composed of many people who are not particularly well described as 'Liberals'
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #727 on: November 15, 2013, 09:01:46 PM »

Small business owners tend to not be very left wing, but I think it makes sense for modern social democrats to support small business. Not because it'll attract votes, but because it's the right thing to do, as competition (especially to large corporations) is to be encouraged.

What a ridiculous name.

I'm sorry you don't like big business, but terms like 'Free Enterprise Coalition' exist for a reason, and that reason is that the BC Liberal Party is composed of many people who are not particularly well described as 'Liberals'

Yup, that's the reason. It does sound ridiculous, but it is a good marketing technique for the BC Liberals.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #728 on: November 15, 2013, 09:11:59 PM »

What a ridiculous name.

I have nothing against big business in itself, but I pretty much always got better service and/or price from the same service from small business. Perhaps it's different in a big city like Vancouver, but in remote areas, there is a clear difference.

Anyways, you should love small business, as they increase the competition, no? More business, more choice, more competition?

I understand why BC Liberals are brandng them "Free Enterprise Coalition", but it's not stopping be to find that silly (as most branding, honestly).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #729 on: November 15, 2013, 09:32:22 PM »

I personally find the term offensive, because it's basically saying "the NDP is anti free enterprise".  This isn't the 1940s.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #730 on: November 15, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »

Oh come on guys, that's just sloganeering.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #731 on: November 15, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »

Oh come on guys, that's just sloganeering.

Yes, we must differentiate between our high end political talk, and the stuff that gets said on the campaign trail.
Krago
« Reply #732 on: November 19, 2013, 11:48:52 PM »

Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #733 on: November 20, 2013, 12:35:22 AM »

As always, great work, Krago!
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #734 on: November 20, 2013, 09:13:24 AM »

Amazing! ok, now i'm going to be pushy Krago... do you have poll maps for the other 4 ridings?

results in Scarborough's ridings (except really S-Agincourt and S-Rouge River) and interesting as the three parties seem to win all over the map, very little concentrated votes.
SG - The NDP did very well in the North not surprisingly, Scar. City Centre area and Morningside, but the Liberals and PCs also won polls there; They also did very well in the Kingston Rd & Lawrence area of West Hill.
All three parties won polls in the varying neighbourhoods which i find rather interesting that blocks can vary so much.   
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #735 on: November 20, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »

Scarborough-Guildwood doesn't really have any noticeable patterns. You'd think that this map would be fairly similar to the federal map, but not quite.

One pattern I did notice is the abundance of Liberal polls along Lawrence Ave in the past. Lots of apartments along there, probably lower income. It looks like the NDP and the Tories made a bit of inroads there, but it's hard to tell with that map.
Krago
« Reply #736 on: November 20, 2013, 11:09:39 AM »

Scarborough-Guildwood was the only one of the five ridings that used exactly the same poll numbers as in 2011.  I'm waiting for the by-election poll maps from Elections Ontario.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #737 on: November 20, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »

Harper is sending out a personal GOTV letter in Brandon-Souris.
adma
« Reply #738 on: November 20, 2013, 10:00:59 PM »

Amazing! ok, now i'm going to be pushy Krago... do you have poll maps for the other 4 ridings?

results in Scarborough's ridings (except really S-Agincourt and S-Rouge River) and interesting as the three parties seem to win all over the map, very little concentrated votes.
SG - The NDP did very well in the North not surprisingly, Scar. City Centre area and Morningside, but the Liberals and PCs also won polls there; They also did very well in the Kingston Rd & Lawrence area of West Hill.
All three parties won polls in the varying neighbourhoods which i find rather interesting that blocks can vary so much.   

Actually, there's none of the "City Centre" area in SG per se--what *seems to be* said area is actually affected more by the Tuxedo Court apartments...
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #739 on: November 21, 2013, 12:12:29 AM »

I'm going to say that they're scarred from their internals. From what I understand from friends on the ground that Dinsdale is definitely in the hunt. I suspect that the supression card's they've been dropping are simply too over the top to work well either
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #740 on: November 21, 2013, 07:51:31 AM »

Wouldn't it be marvelous if the Liberals win in Brandon, and the NDP in Toronto Centre?
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #741 on: November 21, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »

Wouldn't it be marvelous if the Liberals win in Brandon, and the NDP in Toronto Centre?

the debate recap from Toronto Centre: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/toronto-centre-by-election-debate-puts-income-inequality-at-centre-stage/article15542550/

my non-scientific feel from facebook; mostly NDP friends and some Liberals: A number of comments about Liberals voting McQuaig for various reasons... They are unhappy about feeling the Freeland was appointed, many simply like McQuaig more as a candidate; the Liberals are basically trotting the Tory line & being lambasted by the NDP.
TC is going to be very hard to win; like i said i feel its going to be a 44%/43% kinda win.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #742 on: November 21, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »

Horwath advisor calls LGBT who vote Freeland "self-loathing" on Twitter.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #743 on: November 21, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »

Because she imported John McKay to speak on her behalf, apparently.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #744 on: November 21, 2013, 12:16:56 PM »

I think 'imported'  is a bit of a stretch for someone who came from Scarborough. 

And as much as I have a distaste for the politics of John McKay, to imply that he has anything to do with the social views of the Liberal Party is fundamentally dishonest. 
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #745 on: November 21, 2013, 01:14:31 PM »

I think 'imported'  is a bit of a stretch for someone who came from Scarborough. 

And as much as I have a distaste for the politics of John McKay, to imply that he has anything to do with the social views of the Liberal Party is fundamentally dishonest. 

Well... he speaks for a rather large segment of the party, hence why the NDPs criticism of the Liberals has traction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Members_of_the_38th_Canadian_Parliament_and_same-sex_marriage
32 Liberals voted against SSM and 59 For, that's a sizable chunk. there are still socially conservative "blue" liberals and these by-elections are showing the Liberals have moved to the right on many albeit mostly economic issues.

Ok, ouch. Freeland's interview with Xtra was terrible you have to admit in her responses http://blogs.canoe.ca/davidakin/politics/i-know-youre-gay-but-im-chrystia-freeland-and-youre-not/ - link to the Xtra interview in this write up of it.
But that "self-loathing" is a bit much, a bit too harsh, but LGBT Liberals do have to ask why the party is so wishy on many of the issues from Russia to C-279, to voting against the bully strategy.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #746 on: November 21, 2013, 06:25:55 PM »

No matter what the result will be in TC, I can guarantee the NDP will win the majority of polls.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #747 on: November 21, 2013, 06:34:22 PM »

If Liberals win in Brandon, having placed third or fourth last election, I suspect the NDP will lose the ownership of "Change" that they currently enjoy in polling, regardless of the result in TC.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #748 on: November 21, 2013, 06:40:22 PM »

Well... he speaks for a rather large segment of the party, hence why the NDPs criticism of the Liberals has traction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Members_of_the_38th_Canadian_Parliament_and_same-sex_marriage
32 Liberals voted against SSM and 59 For, that's a sizable chunk. there are still socially conservative "blue" liberals and these by-elections are showing the Liberals have moved to the right on many albeit mostly economic issues.

Ok, ouch. Freeland's interview with Xtra was terrible you have to admit in her responses http://blogs.canoe.ca/davidakin/politics/i-know-youre-gay-but-im-chrystia-freeland-and-youre-not/ - link to the Xtra interview in this write up of it.
But that "self-loathing" is a bit much, a bit too harsh, but LGBT Liberals do have to ask why the party is so wishy on many of the issues from Russia to C-279, to voting against the bully strategy.

I really have no time for any of these absurd insinuation that the Liberal Party is anything but forward on this issue.  No one in the Liberal caucus voted against c-279.  I have no idea how we've been 'wishy' on Russia or bullying nor any idea what the actual and non symbolic results of the last two actually are.

Perhaps you tell yourself these things to feel superior, but I take great insult at these attempt to whisper that the Liberal Party is homophobic.  It's dirty and it's wrong and it needs to stop.  

Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #749 on: November 21, 2013, 06:40:58 PM »

No matter what the result will be in TC, I can guarantee the NDP will win the majority of polls.

Why's that?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies