House of Cards
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:05:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  House of Cards
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: House of Cards  (Read 23289 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 05:35:28 PM »

*Spoiler Alert About the Original*

Am I the only one who was truly shocked when Urquhart killed O'Neill and Storin? It seemed truly shocking at the time, something the remake cannot replicate.

*End Spoiler Alert About the Original*
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 08:00:48 PM »

I just finished it. I was lukewarm on the first few episodes but the second half of the season was quite excellent. It will be interesting to see how the second season will be, should another occur.

How does the BBC version compare? Is the story identical just set in Parliament obviously?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »

Well, Paul, the biggest difference I'd say is that FU in the new version is just working towards power as opposed to say a specific office, whereas the British FU was working towards the Premiership. I personally don't think FU intended for Russo to flop like that- I thought he intended to use him as a power center, but shifted to exploit that opportunity once that happened.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »

Well, Paul, the biggest difference I'd say is that FU in the new version is just working towards power as opposed to say a specific office, whereas the British FU was working towards the Premiership. I personally don't think FU intended for Russo to flop like that- I thought he intended to use him as a power center, but shifted to exploit that opportunity once that happened.

Thanks Sim. That's interesting. I added the BBC version to my Netflix instant queue. Perhaps I'll check it out soon.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 09:08:09 PM »

You should. It's my favourite television series.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »

Actually he planned to run him for Governor and then destroy at final stage, but it wasn't revealed until he suggested the Vice President runs as replacement (so he can become VP himself). Talk about Byzantine intrigue, wow.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »

Perhaps we should use some spoiler tags for some of these posts, no?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 02:52:51 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2013, 02:55:09 PM by Senator Oakvale »

I've never watched the original, but I've been really enjoying this. Still, they kill off the most interesting and sympathetic character on the show? Ugh.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 10:04:57 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2013, 10:09:05 PM by Citizen (The) Doctor »

So there was something I just didn't understand from the third episode -- why was the old woman in the cemetery angry at Claire? That was the only part of the series that didn't make sense to me.

Also, spoiler alert is Claire trying to get pregnant at the end just to get out of the lawsuit? Talk about crazy strategies.

Actually he planned to run him for Governor and then destroy at final stage, but it wasn't revealed until he suggested the Vice President runs as replacement (so he can become VP himself). Talk about Byzantine intrigue, wow.

I actually think that destroying Russo was a conscious decision made after pushing Russo in as the Dem nominee. FU could have used Russo for his own run into the Presidency if he wanted to, it's just that he realized that Russo had become too much his own man (and therefore a threat) so he decided to expedite things and silence him.

I actually expect the second season to be all about destroying the Presidency, giving FU the nod in 2016.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 10:53:37 PM »

I suppose FU will Collingridge the President, yeah. Interesting proposal, but I think she actuallu just wants a kid... feels bad that only people like us will care without any decendants.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 08:43:57 AM »

Yeah, this was clearly the plan as evidenced by Stamper providing shelter to the stripper. The whole reason for that was to use the stripper to sabotage Russo at just the right time. However, I like to think they intended on helping Russo recover after his implosion. They did not anticipate him becoming a loose cannon.

Season two should be about the confirmation process in the first half followed by his ascendancy to president at the end of the season. If there is a season three, it will probably be Underwood's attempt at winning a presidential campaign. Season four would presumably be about re-election. Season five would be about the end of his second term. Hard to see the series stretching beyond season two or three, but definitely no more than five seasons.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 05:53:37 PM »

I just finished watching it! I thought it was very good, not quite at the level of television masterpieces like Mad Men or Breaking Bad or the Wire, but pretty close. I also loved the way Kevin Spacey approached the character, it all felt very theatrical and purposefully overly dramatic, which plays into the notion that is more of a Shakespearean tragedy than a political drama (because honestly a lot of the politics of this show don't really make any sense). My only problem is that in the beginning it seemed like things were way too easy for Underwood, like all his opponents were idiots and he was running circles around them, but the last few episodes of the season showed that he really underestimated a lot of the people he thought he was using for his own purposes (his wife, the reporter girl, the president) and now going into season 2 he'll have more formidable enemies.

I'm not really sure what the deal with some of the more surreal episodes was though? I mean the crazy homeless man who gave Claire the origami dollar bill or the angry lady in the cemetery.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »

I've only seen the first three episodes at this point. My favorite scene is probably when Russo meets with Libertas to get dirt on Kern.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 07:19:04 PM »

I've only seen the first three episodes at this point. My favorite scene is probably when Russo meets with Libertas to get dirt on Kern.

I don't think Libertas could've had that cute of a girl living with him. Wink
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »

Bumping for season 2, which I just started and will finish in about 12 hours.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2014, 10:28:47 PM »

First episode down. Wham episode.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »

God. "Wham episode". Is this how people talk now? "Wham, episode"?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2014, 10:59:47 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2014, 11:28:36 PM by L0V3Batman »

God. "Wham episode". Is this how people talk now? "Wham, episode"?
>>>>SPOILER<<<<He killed Zoey!!!! And I think he's gonna try to push the a President out too.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2014, 11:10:59 PM »

If you're posting spoilers it's better to just color the text in white.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 12:54:46 AM »

Just began episode 12. Has been a good season, I will have to take more time and watch it again as the AV Club publishes its reviews so that I catch everything.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2014, 12:59:30 AM »

Just began episode 12. Has been a good season, I will have to take more time and watch it again as the AV Club publishes its reviews so that I catch everything.

Ah, when do those reviews come out?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2014, 01:26:06 AM »

If you're familiar with the BBC series, you wouldn't be that surprised by what happened in episode 1.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2014, 01:28:26 AM »

Ah, when do those reviews come out?

They publish a major review of the full season on Monday, and also begin a series of weekly reviews that cover two episodes per review.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 11:00:52 AM »

My main hope for this season (I think it may already have jumped the shark by killing off the cokehead Congressman last season, alas) is that Underwood's plots actually fail for once. Right now he's basically a supervillain.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2014, 11:04:40 AM »

I watched the first episode (of the second season)... meh...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies