Latino gang tries to drive out black family from Compton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:59:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Latino gang tries to drive out black family from Compton
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latino gang tries to drive out black family from Compton  (Read 524 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:09:37 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/26/16708199-la-officials-3-held-over-attempt-to-drive-african-american-family-out-of-compton?lite

That's disgusting, and similar things have been happening all around LA county.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »

One of many reasons why blacks are leaving California in droves.
a83192
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:12:03 PM »

I agree.  Hispanics and blacks cant get along socially but politically they are similar. What a paradox.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »

Got to stop the blacks from taking over Comptom.

/sarcasm

Actually it looks like the hispanics have really taken over Comptom. Like east Oakland, it has a lot of neighborhoods that have a relative even split between blacks and hispanics. Of course neither area is known for low crime, so who knows how well they get along.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 10:30:19 PM »

A much more important reason why Blacks are leaving California.
Here's a $310,000 house in Compton:

Here's a $275,000 in the "fancy" black suburban area of Memphis. Not at all to my tastes, but you get the point. California is too damn expensive.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 11:44:14 PM »

One side of Compton is heavily black, and the other side is heavily Hispanic. The overlap is rather minimal. I guess it is an echo of block busting from my days in Chicago, where blocks, one by one, on the SW side, turned from ethnic white to black, with almost no twilight zone. The black zone moved west by about 15 blocks during my five year tenure in Chicago from 1969 to 1974. You could cut the tension in the air with a knife. It was a whole new experience for me, coming from the bourgeoise zone in LA, where such things seemed to be something that might happen only in an alternative universe.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 12:16:01 AM »

One side of Compton is heavily black, and the other side is heavily Hispanic. The overlap is rather minimal. I guess it is an echo of block busting from my days in Chicago, where blocks, one by one, on the SW side, turned from ethnic white to black, with almost no twilight zone. The black zone moved west by about 15 blocks during my five year tenure in Chicago from 1969 to 1974. You could cut the tension in the air with a knife. It was a whole new experience for me, coming from the bourgeoise zone in LA, where such things seemed to be something that might happen only in an alternative universe.
Neo-liberal lackeys doing their work.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 01:02:46 AM »

What strikes me as the most interesting is how today, the so so suburbs are where one frequently finds the most racial diversity. Lots of new immigrants, upwardly mobile blacks, plain whites who self identify their ancestry simply as "American." They're all there living next to each other.  Meanwhile so many (not all, of course) urban neighborhoods are still stuck in their old racial ways.  We've come a long way since Torie's day. A large part of town rapidly changing from white to black used to be commonplace here as blacks desperately fled their old wretched ghettos for greener pastures. Whitehaven, Frayser, Raleigh, Parkway Village, and Hickory Hill (the entire north and south sides of town, outside of the core city and originally "suburban") all shifted from primarily white to black from 1980-2000. In more recent years the newer suburbs in DeSoto county and East Shelby County have seen a steady influx of black people without mass hysteria. And it appears this is the case all over the country. It's quite refreshing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 01:06:07 AM »

What strikes me as the most interesting is how today, the so so suburbs are where one frequently finds the most racial diversity. Lots of new immigrants, upwardly mobile blacks, plain whites who self identify their ancestry simply as "American." They're all there living next to each other.  Meanwhile so many (not all, of course) urban neighborhoods are still stuck in their old racial ways.  We've come a long way since Torie's day. A large part of town rapidly changing from white to black used to be commonplace here as blacks desperately fled their old wretched ghettos for greener pastures. Whitehaven, Frayser, Raleigh, Parkway Village, and Hickory Hill (the entire north and south sides of town, outside of the core city and originally "suburban") all shifted from primarily white to black from 1980-2000. In more recent years the newer suburbs in DeSoto county and East Shelby County have seen a steady influx of black people without mass hysteria. And it appears this is the case all over the country. It's quite refreshing.

It is quite refreshing indeed. It was the thing I most loathed about Chicago - the race and class tensions, even more than the weather, while loving so much else about Chicago. Chicago is a far better place today really. It's come a long way baby.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies