Opinion of MLK, Jr.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:22:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of MLK, Jr.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: There's really only one option, isn't there?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Opinion of MLK, Jr.  (Read 3246 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:45:58 AM »

“In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans, such as ‘right to work.’ It is a law to rob us of our civil rights and job rights.

Its purpose is to destroy labor unions and the freedom of collective bargaining by which unions have improved wages and working conditions of everyone…Wherever these laws have been passed, wages are lower, job opportunities are fewer and there are no civil rights. We do not intend to let them do this to us. We demand this fraud be stopped. Our weapon is our vote.”

Martin Luther King, speaking about right-to-work laws in 1961

Major FF. One of the biggest FFs in American history, in the 20th Century, and in world history.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:57:53 AM »

FF, but solely on his work for racial equality.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »

Appreciated, if for "politically correct" reasons ("color-blindness"...)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 03:37:30 PM »

FF for his work on race and his opposition to the ever growing military industrial complex.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 03:45:18 PM »

FF for his work on civil rights, poverty, and peace.  Granted, his extramarital affair and some of his statements (see above as an example) bother me, but overall a great man and a massive FF.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »

Oh, across the board FF. Maybe FF / HP is a fun if overused dichotomy, but it positively applies to him from civil rights to labor to equity, fairness, vision, willingness to speak out, and on and on. A society without people willing to push the envelope and challenge authority is always and forever in danger of very serious regression.

Now, I just wish our state booze stores weren't closed just because this is MLK day! Just stopped at the  liquor store and was greeted by a large sign telling me that because it's MLK day I will have to wait till tomorrow to get my Cabernet or Merlot or whatever. But that's okay, I have a reserve stash. Smiley
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »

FF (Normal)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »

Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 04:39:35 PM »

FF
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:00:07 PM »

FF of course, but the first post could make it clearer that it is not referring to his son MLK III who is an HP, tho not a Mega-HP.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 07:29:48 PM »

FF, but solely on his work for racial equality.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 10:46:58 PM »

Anyone who voted HP should be shot. Anyone who says FF with reservations should be hit with sticks.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 10:57:08 PM »

FF for his work on civil rights, poverty, and peace.  Granted, his extramarital affair and some of his statements (see above as an example) bother me, but overall a great man and a massive FF.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »

What is "above"?
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 11:11:35 PM »

Easily a FF.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 11:28:28 PM »

Massive FF, going far beyond his work for racial equality.

Also, I disagree with the "who the hell can vote HP" sentiments expressed above. It's much more intellectually honest for right-leaning people to say that he was overall an HP with some FF points than this "OMG OFC HE WAS TEH AWESOMES!!!11!" attitude that most people in America have today. His life goals went far beyond just racial equality. He had a grand and consistent mission of eliminating inequality on all levels, including income inequality and the global domination (economic and military) of the world by the Northern/"Western"/"First world" nations. All in all he was far more radical than the high school US History level understanding most Americans have of him (a good thing, in my opinion, but probably not in the opinions of most people). Turning him into this saint that everyone should worship for his magnificent holiness is hugely detrimental to the truth of his legacy. I'd much rather have a debate about the ideals he actually stood for, in which case I'd expect about 1/3 of this forum and 2/3rds of Americans to vote HP.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 11:31:46 PM »

FF, although he clearly did somethings I don't like or agree with, this is a case where his work on one issue, racial equality, far outshines the rest.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 12:24:45 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=96d_CzrfxsM
Darth Maul
Rockefeller Republican
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 03:57:03 AM »

Massive FF.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 04:54:21 AM »

FF, of course.

I'd like to see the thoughts of the four that voted HP. On this, it really is cowardly to hide behind the poll.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 01:46:22 PM »

Massive FF, going far beyond his work for racial equality.

Also, I disagree with the "who the hell can vote HP" sentiments expressed above. It's much more intellectually honest for right-leaning people to say that he was overall an HP with some FF points than this "OMG OFC HE WAS TEH AWESOMES!!!11!" attitude that most people in America have today. His life goals went far beyond just racial equality. He had a grand and consistent mission of eliminating inequality on all levels, including income inequality and the global domination (economic and military) of the world by the Northern/"Western"/"First world" nations. All in all he was far more radical than the high school US History level understanding most Americans have of him (a good thing, in my opinion, but probably not in the opinions of most people). Turning him into this saint that everyone should worship for his magnificent holiness is hugely detrimental to the truth of his legacy. I'd much rather have a debate about the ideals he actually stood for, in which case I'd expect about 1/3 of this forum and 2/3rds of Americans to vote HP.

While one can legitimately disagree with King's views on some issue, how can one legitimately call him a horrible person?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »

While one can legitimately disagree with King's views on some issue, how can one legitimately call him a horrible person?

He was a womanizer and he plagiarized portions of his doctoral dissertation are the two most salient reasons.

I realize that both tend to get overlooked as personal foibles by Europeans, but for those who want their heroes to be 100% saintly, he definitely did not meet that standard.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »

He was a womanizer and he plagiarized portions of his doctoral dissertation are the two most salient reasons.

I realize that both tend to get overlooked as personal foibles by Europeans, but for those who want their heroes to be 100% saintly, he definitely did not meet that standard.

Yeah, and for some reason these people tend to vote for guys like Newt Gingrich and Scott DesJarlais.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 11:18:43 PM »

Yeah, and for some reason these people tend to vote for guys like Newt Gingrich and Scott DesJarlais.

Well we didn't have Silvio Berlusconi or Dominique Strauss-Kahn to vote for.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 11:42:35 PM »

Well we didn't have Silvio Berlusconi or Dominique Strauss-Kahn to vote for.

In Berlusconi's case, his electorate isn't all that different from the American right (and he got the enthusiastic backing of the Catholic Church for years).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies