Jindal: Out, corporate & income tax. In, increased sales tax.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:02:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jindal: Out, corporate & income tax. In, increased sales tax.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jindal: Out, corporate & income tax. In, increased sales tax.  (Read 3159 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:27:18 PM »

Interesting, dunno if this'll be revenue-neutral though.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/01/gov_bobby_jindal_calls_for_eli.html
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 04:00:45 PM »

What a punk.  I would bet it leads to a revenue loss, not to mention less demand as a result of the regressive sales tax.  But hey those job creators need a tax break even if they later say they can't create jobs because no one is buying their products.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:02:52 PM »

Good way to promote further inequality.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »

Ah, the fuck the poor economic plan. I hope Jindal crashes and burns in the 2016 primaries. I would hate for this guy to be the first Indian American nominee, or god forbid, President.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 04:12:15 PM »

Opinion of Jindal increased.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »

I think you're right about the intent, but even giving him the benefit of the doubt, he's trying to get the poors to leave and the richers to come in. And that may happen a very little, but Republicans grossly overestimate the effect that tax codes have on people in the real world. If taxes were that important, there would be very few high earners in NY and CA and many in my home state, which has no income tax on earned income. Instead, you have the opposite. And you have a lot inequality based problems. But that's the South for you.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »

Jindal is too camp to be a contender.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 04:45:39 PM »

Ah, the fuck the poor economic plan. I hope Jindal crashes and burns in the 2016 primaries. I would hate for this guy to be the first Indian American nominee, or god forbid, President.

Hey, I'd love to see Jindal make it far. It'd give him a national platform and further expose the lunacy behind the GOP's hatred of intellectualism. It's amazing that a man as intelligent and academically accomplished as Bobby has to dumb himself and his policies down just to have a future in his party.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 04:58:29 PM »

On a related note, McDonnell just came out with what Dave Weigel calls a "reducto ad absurdum of hippie bashing" plan to eliminate the gas tax in Virginia, and replace it with a tax on alternative fuel vehicles (plus higher sales taxes):

link
hopper
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »

I think you're right about the intent, but even giving him the benefit of the doubt, he's trying to get the poors to leave and the richers to come in. And that may happen a very little, but Republicans grossly overestimate the effect that tax codes have on people in the real world. If taxes were that important, there would be very few high earners in NY and CA and many in my home state, which has no income tax on earned income. Instead, you have the opposite. And you have a lot inequality based problems. But that's the South for you.
Republicans overstate effect on tax codes and the Dems understate effect on taxcodes!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 05:22:03 PM »

How is it that businesses are the ones that need the help, since they're making money and the actual people who work for them are not? When times are good for business, times are good for shareholders, not employees. Oh well. At least work Christmas Parties might be a little bit nicer in Louisiana this year.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 05:28:56 PM »

"The bottom line is that for too long, Louisiana's workers and small businesses have suffered from having a state tax structure that is too complex and that holds back economic prosperity..."

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't an increased sales tax also hurt economic prosperity?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »

"The bottom line is that for too long, Louisiana's workers and small businesses have suffered from having a state tax structure that is too complex and that holds back economic prosperity..."

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't an increased sales tax also hurt economic prosperity?
Depends whose economy one want to prosper. Different people have different interests. And I don't understand why nobody is willing to point that out. We're not all the same boat. Mitt Romney wouldn't have me in the same ocean as his yacht.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »

On a related note, McDonnell just came out with what Dave Weigel calls a "reducto ad absurdum of hippie bashing" plan to eliminate the gas tax in Virginia, and replace it with a tax on alternative fuel vehicles (plus higher sales taxes):

link

That is absolutely terrible.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 06:08:02 PM »

link

It's as if the different Republican 2016 hopefuls are trying to outdo each other in the evil olympics.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 06:38:35 PM »

link

It's as if the different Republican 2016 hopefuls are trying to outdo each other in the evil olympics.

Don't forget 'straight talking' Christie: http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/06/02/231147/christie-medicaid-recipients-rich/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 07:56:55 PM »

De facto, Medicaid is not a program to give the working poor healthcare. It is for extremely disabled people who require extremely expensive nursing homes.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 08:03:58 PM »

I don't understand how anyone could see these proposals (Jindal's axing of the income tax in favor of a higher national sales tax, McDonnell's bizarrely macho-ish "alternative fuels tax", or Christie's proposals of effectively gutting Medicaid) as anything but childish, ignorant, pointlessly contrary, or just outright evil.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 08:18:47 PM »

I thought this thread was going to be about Jindal dropping out. Sad
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »

McDonnell is just trying to protect big oil from competition. It's not here yet, but there may come a day when alternative fuel vehicles make sense for the mainstream consumer. Autos/Oil is a funny business.  It's dependent on demand from the masses rather than the owners. Even Mitt Romney's wife only has twice as many cars as the avergae consumer. From the standpoint of the GOP, best to nip that technological threat in the bud. All the climate change in the world isn't going to get people to change their behavior. A cheaper ride will though.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 02:48:58 AM »

VATs do interest me.  It is incredibly efficient compared to income tax.  Perhaps there is a way to keep it progressive, like if it was done in combination with a simple income tax. 

For example:

Income tax brackets would be up shifted 50k: 0% for first $50,000, 10% for 50,001-58,700, etc., etc.

Then, projected loss of revenue would be matched up with a projected equal gain in revenue for % VAT.

The rich still pay more taxes.  We would also make EBT purchases tax exempt
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 04:50:15 AM »

De facto, Medicaid is not a program to give the working poor healthcare. It is for extremely disabled people who require extremely expensive nursing homes.

Well the ACA's Medicaid expansion was supposed to have made it available to the working poor by replacing the eligibility limits with a single one based on income (133% of the federal poverty level) which among other things would mean childless adults would finally be eligible. Then SCOTUS made the expansion optional for states back in June and we're seeing the consequences of that already. But yeah, like most pots of money made available to private providers, the free market finds its way in:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-31/for-profit-nursing-homes-lead-in-overcharging-while-care-suffers.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »

Sales tax is the worst possible tax ever. Yes, it provides a lot of revenue, but it hurts the poor more than the rich. Huey Long is rolling in his grave.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »

VATs do interest me.  It is incredibly efficient compared to income tax.  Perhaps there is a way to keep it progressive, like if it was done in combination with a simple income tax. 

For example:

Income tax brackets would be up shifted 50k: 0% for first $50,000, 10% for 50,001-58,700, etc., etc.

Then, projected loss of revenue would be matched up with a projected equal gain in revenue for % VAT.

I think that would still slam the middle class. Maybe if you exempt food and clothing costing less than $30?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »

For example:

I think that would still slam the middle class. Maybe if you exempt food and clothing costing less than $30?

Or gave folks a prebate, like the FairTax does.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies