#WhyIsMyPaycheckLessThisWeek
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:23:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  #WhyIsMyPaycheckLessThisWeek
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: #WhyIsMyPaycheckLessThisWeek  (Read 3149 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »
« edited: January 04, 2013, 05:23:57 PM by badgate »

If you're wondering why your paycheck is "less" this week, Twitter has the [hilarious] answers:

@Gabby_Hoffman
#WhyIsMyPaycheckLessThisWeek because Obama Phones and birth control are more important than reducing the debt.

@iowahawkblog: #WhyIsMyPaycheckLessThisWeek because before

@HeyLookItsKev
#WhyIsMyPaycheckLessThisWeek Well, because even though you DIDN'T build it, you damn sure are going to pay for it

@Rockprincess818
#WhyIsMyPaycheckLessThisWeek ? I guess the new definition of millionaires and billionaires are those with full time jobs. Happy 2013! #tcot

@notmyname02
#whyismypaychecklessthisweek Because incredibly dumb women voted with their lady parts.

Personal favorite:

@Gabby_Hoffman
Awwww, the Left doesn't like that I tweeted this about #whyismypaychecklessthisweek https://twitter.com/Gabby_Hoffman/status/287217999398707200 … Deal with it. Wink

#WhyIsMyPaycheckLessThisWeek~Free Phones~Free Birth Control~and 7 Million dollar Hawaiian vacations don't pay for themselves you know! #TCOT

Just thought I'd share these chestnuts Cheesy
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:17:51 PM »

Also: does anybody know what #tcot stands for?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:14:30 PM »

ugh
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:18:39 PM »

I want to be angry at the stupid, racist, sexist crap in a lot of these tweets, but.. This is hard on poor folks, and Democrats have no one to blame but themselves.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »

I want to be angry at the stupid, racist, sexist crap in a lot of these tweets, but.. This is hard on poor folks, and Democrats have no one to blame but themselves.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:24:34 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2013, 12:58:10 PM by Former Moderate »

Democrats should have made a bigger deal about payroll taxes and show the Republicans wanted to hike it. There are a lot of 🐴 about.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 07:28:35 PM »

To be fair with these guys, the Dems giving up on the payroll tax is indeed pretty disgusting and unforgivable.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 07:30:46 PM »

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 07:34:32 PM »

Not an excuse for ignorance and stupidity.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »

To be fair with these guys, the Dems giving up on the payroll tax is indeed pretty disgusting and unforgivable.

Or perhaps the Dems should never have followed the bad Bush example of enacting a temporary tax break?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 12:09:22 AM »

Does the payroll tax = Making Work Pay?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 01:09:06 AM »

Wait, they gave up on the payroll tax cut? Can the Dems not do anything right besides stopping a complete economic calamity?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 01:52:19 AM »

All of you red avatars need to decide whether you think tax cuts are good or bad.

You say you don't like the Bush tax cuts but you only wanted to get rid of them for about 2% of the country. (I don't like them either but I think they all should have been extended for a couple more years and then all of them should expire).

And now you're mad that another temporary tax cut expired.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 01:55:59 AM »

All of you red avatars need to decide whether you think tax cuts are good or bad.

False dichotomy. Not all tax cuts/hikes are the same. Don't be obtuse.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 02:31:25 AM »

You're right. They're not all the same. This relates to a tax that actually funds a specific program.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 03:39:31 AM »

Yes, the Democrats are pussies and have been for a while, but why not blame the ones chiefly responsible?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 03:42:58 AM »

You're right. They're not all the same. This relates to a tax that actually funds a specific program.

The social security fund has been looted for decades so there is no point pretending payroll taxes are only used to fund social security and medicare. It's a question of who gets taxed. Due to this deal, most working people will have to pay 2% more while income taxes won't rise for those making even $350,000 a year. And a good bit of that income (even assuming it is from both spouses earning equally) is not subject to the payroll tax. Why don't the Democrats propose raising the cap on payroll taxes? Oh that's right, because they are pussies.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 04:32:45 AM »

Everybody tweeting this would just have tweeted something else about n0bama if the payroll tax cuts had been extended.  The original version and top retweet of this is by an annoying college conservative girl with 20,000 followers. 

It's manufactured outrage.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 04:47:55 AM »

I'm very disappointed that there wasn't more of a fight over the payroll tax. Even if you accept that it wasn't good for Social Security, it's probably even worse for the middle class and the economy right now. At the least, it should have gradually been phased out; certainly not all at once. I'd say the tax cut should stay intact until specific economic conditions have been met. The President absolutely needs to fight to reinstate the payroll tax cut for the middle class.

Blaming President Obama for this is completely ridiculous. If it wasn't for an intransigent Congressional GOP, I'm sure the tax cut would have been renewed. With that said, I am disappointed that it wasn't part of the deal. So much for that anti-tax GOP, right?

Why don't the Democrats propose raising the cap on payroll taxes? Oh that's right, because they are pussies.

I can't express how much I agree with this. As I understand it, eliminating the cap would extend solvency beyond 75 years.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 04:50:08 AM »

Wanna bet that half of these people didn't actually notice any difference in their paycheck and are latching onto the bandwagon?

Also: does anybody know what #tcot stands for?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%23tcot
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 01:05:28 PM »

Everybody tweeting this would just have tweeted something else about n0bama if the payroll tax cuts had been extended.  The original version and top retweet of this is by an annoying college conservative girl with 20,000 followers. 

Yep.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 01:09:49 PM »

Or perhaps the Dems should never have followed the bad Bush example of enacting a temporary tax break?

That, as well.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 01:09:57 PM »

Yep.
It's also an attempt at damage control. Get the message out that, contrary to both reality and perception, it's not your own fault.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »

Because the money from that payroll tax cut was needed to keep the income taxes on those making $450,000 the same. Duh.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 01:50:21 PM »

Anyone else figure that the "mainstream news media" (sigh) are complicit in this whole mess?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies