Politico:Chris Christie unleashes anger at Boehner
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 01:17:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Politico:Chris Christie unleashes anger at Boehner
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Politico:Chris Christie unleashes anger at Boehner  (Read 2060 times)
Incipimus iterum
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/chris-christie-unleashes-anger-at-boehner-85687.html?hp=r1
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »

Somebody wants to be President.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »

It was awesome to watch. Good job Governor Christie! I see he's looking more to 2013 than to 2016 right.

I did notice he was very careful to stick to the "internal politics" line as opposed to a bias against the region. Shouted at a few reporters about that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »

Yeah, ripping your own speaker and party is a good way to start, politically Roll Eyes

Of course ripping Congress is always favorable to the masses Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »

Yeah, ripping your own speaker and party is a good way to start, politically Roll Eyes

He's not exactly wrong, mind you. But "standing up" to the party elite can't hurt, can it?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2013, 04:17:22 PM by memphis »

^^^^^^
This is about wanting to do a good job as gov'r. Who wants to see his state remain in tatters? Although, considering Boehner's position lately, I don't think bashing him hurts Christie with anybody either.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »

He's not exactly wrong, mind you. But "standing up" to the party elite can't hurt, can it?

Not with the masses....look at Simi.....he's drooling over this speech, and frankly I can't wait to hear it later on TV Cheesy
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »

Both Christie and King were very clear in praising Cantor while pummelling Boehner.

Boehner won't last the week as speaker.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »

Both Christie and King were very clear in praising Cantor while pummelling Boehner.

Boehner won't last the week as speaker.

Well I don't know if all of the committee people he tossed off are coming back in the new Congress, but they won't need many more supporters to oust him if they are.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 05:18:16 PM »

If Boehner resigns or loses in a contested race to Cantor, does Christie get credit for administering the death blow? Fairly or not?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »

Right... because this will help him win over the primary voters.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »

I like to think that even Republican primary voters aren't against providing funding to Sandy victims. Am I overestimating their decency?

(And after warching it, I am quite impressed. Does seem genuine.)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »

At this point, being anti-Boehner is probably safer in the GOP than being pro-Boehner with regards to the base.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 05:34:21 PM »

I like to think that even Republican primary voters aren't against providing funding to Sandy victims. Am I overestimating their decency?

(And after warching it, I am quite impressed. Does seem genuine.)

But wouldn't primary voters be against pork spending in a funding package?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 05:39:32 PM »

Christie and everyone else have every right to be furious that this isn't done. It should have been passed a month ago even when you consider everything else that was going on. That being said, I'm also furious about the disgusting attempt to get totally unrelated projects paid for in this package. Some people really have no shame. Then there are people like Schumer and Gillibrand that are attacking people like Issa for being "against aid for storm victims." That disingenuous attack is why people hate Congress/politics. Being opposed to the pork that they trying to throw in doesn't mean opposition to aid. To ignore that is so very wrong.

Now Schumer is claiming Issa is just making up the pork argument because Cantor supposedly offered an amendment to strip the bill of unrelated spending (which is what should have been done). If that's true, Boehner and Issa have some explaining to do because a vote should have definitely taken place if that amendment was included.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »

Now Schumer is claiming Issa is just making up the pork argument because Cantor supposedly offered an amendment to strip the bill of unrelated spending (which is what should have been done). If that's true, Boehner and Issa have some explaining to do because a vote should have definitely taken place if that amendment was included.

I completely agree.  And I'm having a hard time finding the bill.  None of the stories on this include the bill designation, so if anyone knows, I'd appreciate it being posted so I can read it.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »

This is in general a very bad situation for the GOP.  There's a reason why Fox news loved  Leiberman so much. 

If you can get someone in a position of power to say something bad about their own party, thats a very powerfull argument.  "Even Republicans/Democrats admit that X is bad!".  It makes the criticsism of the party rightly or wrongly, seem bipartisan which makes it a very potent line of attack. 

As for the politicians criticising the GOP, as long as their political careers remain within their states they should be fine maybe even better off. Christie is toeing a dangerous line with the base, while opposing Boehnor may be popular right now, Christie is opposing him from the 'wrong' direction'.  Democrats are sure to castigate the GOP over this and I doubt Republicans seeing Christie 'siding' with Democrats will do him any favors.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 06:08:26 PM »

I completely agree.  And I'm having a hard time finding the bill.  None of the stories on this include the bill designation, so if anyone knows, I'd appreciate it being posted so I can read it.

Same here. That's what's making this all the more frustrating. I heard from someone else that Cantor didn't offer the amendment but proposed that the bill be open to amendment, allowing the unrelated spending to be inserted separately (with a vote, of course). Even that would have been more tolerable but I'd still be pissed that there'd even be a vote on those projects in the first place. It's disgraceful.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 09:35:39 PM »

You rang?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2013, 10:55:33 PM by True Federalist »

I completely agree.  And I'm having a hard time finding the bill.  None of the stories on this include the bill designation, so if anyone knows, I'd appreciate it being posted so I can read it.

You rang?

Wrong bill.  That's the Fiscal Cliff measure that was passed.  We're wanting the Sandy relief bill.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 10:54:33 PM »

It'll help ensure he gets reelected this November.  If he doesn't do that he'll have as much chance of getting the nomination as an ex-Senator does.  Granted, he looks like a sure thing for reelection now, but if he takes it for granite, he might not be. Ten months is a long time in politics.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 11:03:44 PM »

It'll help ensure he gets reelected this November.  If he doesn't do that he'll have as much chance of getting the nomination as an ex-Senator does.  Granted, he looks like a sure thing for reelection now, but if he takes it for granite, he might not be. Ten months is a long time in politics.

Yes, and even if this is all calculated political theater (which I do't think it is), it never hurts to have a geographic base in the primaries. While they obviously don't vote R in the General, the NE states still have a lot of primary delegates.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »

You rang?

I was being serious... don't waste my time with that crap.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 11:57:27 PM »

Granted, he looks like a sure thing for reelection now, but if he takes it for granite, he might not be.

I always thought Christie looked a bit like Fred Flinstone.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »

You rang?

I was being serious... don't waste my time with that crap.

Sorry, I was obviously thinking of something else.

I think this is what you're looking for.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies