The Big Bad Swedish Politics & News Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:21:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Big Bad Swedish Politics & News Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 41
Author Topic: The Big Bad Swedish Politics & News Thread  (Read 138286 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 06:59:20 AM »

I actually thought that, with the debt crisis and all, the anti-EU side would have a majority... If we manage to resolve this crisis without further damage (huge if, mind you), EU might not be completely dead yet.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »

A full out internal war is basicly happening in the Center party right now. Annie Lööf's attempts to cool down the conflict has not been very effective to say the least. For every day that pass I'm more and more convinced that the party will not survive this.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »

A full out internal war is basicly happening in the Center party right now. Annie Lööf's attempts to cool down the conflict has not been very effective to say the least. For every day that pass I'm more and more convinced that the party will not survive this.

It's hard to not see that as a good thing, any party which has so little connection with reality as a party which adopt the policies of page one, should not be near a parliament to say nothing about sitting in ine.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »

From what I know of Swedish politics, the Center Party used to be the most moderate element of the Alliance. It's sad to see them go completely insane, because they have a useful spot to occupy in the political landscape.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »

From what I know of Swedish politics, the Center Party used to be the most moderate element of the Alliance. It's sad to see them go completely insane, because they have a useful spot to occupy in the political landscape.

The nice thing about Scandinavia, is that there is always someone who place themselves at the centre. But centre parties do have a tendence to go insane this way thanks to part of their voter segment (urban proffesional) and their ideology (liberalism). So it's good to clean out once in a while when they turn too insane. Denmark could also use that the Social Liberals collapsed, someone other took their position instead.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »

The nice thing about Scandinavia, is that there is always someone who place themselves at the centre. But centre parties do have a tendence to go insane this way thanks to part of their voter segment (urban proffesional) and their ideology (liberalism). So it's good to clean out once in a while when they turn too insane. Denmark could also use that the Social Liberals collapsed, someone other took their position instead.

Is that indicative or conditional? I've not been following Danish politics since the election, did something happen to Radikale Venstre? Huh
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »

Is that indicative or conditional? I've not been following Danish politics since the election, did something happen to Radikale Venstre? Huh

I think it would be healthy if they disappeared, but I don't find it likely as their brand of smug liberalism and arrogant self righteous, sadly play to a specific kind of voter. Through Vestagers arrogance did mean that their rising polls collapse. But right now they lies where they have always laid (7-8%).
In fact their rise and fall followed the traditional pattern, people was tired of the big parties with their wishy-washy opinions and embrace "de Radikale", which come across as principle, the leader of the Social Liberals grow more and more arrogant, piss their allies off, but keep growing until their arrogance also turn off their new voters, and they collapse back to their base. But at least Vestager didn't set herself up as the third PM candidate as Jelved did, through she was close.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »

Except forcing the goverment to the right on economic issues I haven't heard about them doing anything differently than they did in 2011. In the latest poll I've seen they still poll at 8,9% so they seem pretty stable. 

I'm guessing Ingemann is really professing his personal oppinion of Radikale, rather than the general Danish oppinion. Granted I wouldn't vote for them either, but they don't really seem to be out-of-mainstream compared to other European Green or centre-left leaning social liberals. (Who always seem to be very arrogant) 
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »

Except forcing the goverment to the right on economic issues I haven't heard about them doing anything differently than they did in 2011. In the latest poll I've seen they still poll at 8,9% so they seem pretty stable. 

I'm guessing Ingemann is really professing his personal oppinion of Radikale, rather than the general Danish oppinion. Granted I wouldn't vote for them either, but they don't really seem to be out-of-mainstream compared to other European Green or centre-left leaning social liberals. (Who always seem to be very arrogant) 

They are not green, and I wouldn't call them centre-left anymore, economic they lies to the right of both Venstre and DPP right now. Of course it can change fast, ten years ago, they wanted to abolish all industry (somewhat hyperbole), establish citizen wage and rraise the property tax. Today they want to lower all wages, remove the high income tax, lower the company tax and raise property tax.
Their policy changes often quite fast, but one thing never change, that they are always right and they have never made a mistake.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »

They are not green, and I wouldn't call them centre-left anymore, economic they lies to the right of both Venstre and DPP right now. Of course it can change fast, ten years ago, they wanted to abolish all industry (somewhat hyperbole), establish citizen wage and rraise the property tax. Today they want to lower all wages, remove the high income tax, lower the company tax and raise property tax.

Why prop up a center-left administration when they could make Rasmussen PM (again)?
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »

Why prop up a center-left administration when they could make Rasmussen PM (again)?

Well for one thing they wouldn't be able to create a centre-right government with-out the Danish People's Party, and Radikale and DF don't get along that well...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2013, 07:16:13 PM »

Well for one thing they wouldn't be able to create a centre-right government with-out the Danish People's Party, and Radikale and DF don't get along that well...

Ah! Makes sense.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2013, 07:20:56 PM »

Good question, one which I have heard from many members off the party itself. There are several answers.

1: A significant part of their core is more left-wing than the policies the party embrace now. They keep support the party out of habit, non-economic issue and because SocDem do pull them slightly to the left.

2: Rasmussen is a terrible excuse for a human being, the top of the party know, most who have been political active for more than a few years on any level of politic know it. The right are just willing to excuse it, by saying that other politician are just as bad (they aren't, in fact I prefer even the scum from DPP to him) and because the way his political opponents tend to end up.

3: Any government build on the votes of both DPP and RV would collapse fast, DPP need to be bribed with a tough immigration policy to support such a government, while RV think anyone mentioning that there could exist problem with open immigration is racist scums.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2013, 09:29:57 PM »

Another would be to neutralise the only threat to the right-wing economics (and going off what Swedish Cheese said, they've been successful).
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »

Another would be to neutralise the only threat to the right-wing economics (and going off what Swedish Cheese said, they've been successful).

Again, surely the SDP'd be less of a threat in opposition.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »

Well the pendulum's gonna turn eventually; if you force the Left to adopt right-wing economics then there's no opposition to them.
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 08:13:26 PM »

We got our first poll after the Centre Party debacle today, interestingly enough showing a slight but noticable increase by 1.6% for the Centre Party - the paper's focusing on a 0.4% increase for the Sweden Democrats, though, which is just embarrassing in so many ways for Expressen.

The Greens drop 1%, but foremostly the Moderates drop 3%. Either it's ultraliberals shifting honestly or it's people showing their support for the shift. We need more polls to conclude anything.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2013, 05:32:48 AM »

... which is just embarrassing in so many ways for Expressen.

There's no such thing as shame or embarrasment at Expressen or Aftonbladet. 
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2013, 07:11:31 AM »

There's nothing wrong with having a libertarian/classical liberal party as part for a right wing alliance- it should be the Liberal Folkparty, not the Centre Party.
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »

There's nothing wrong with having a libertarian/classical liberal party as part for a right wing alliance- it should be the Liberal Folkparty, not the Centre Party.

More or less, but yes, a lot of the party's base is not exactly at home with libertarianism.

I did the Political Compass for our party leaders. Does this seem correct?

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2013, 06:23:55 PM »

Why are there no social conservatives? I know Sweden is liberal, but shouldn't the Akeson/the KD leader be more conservative?
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2013, 06:54:22 PM by Swedish Cheese »

Why are there no social conservatives? I know Sweden is liberal, but shouldn't the Akeson/the KD leader be more conservative?

Both Hägglund and Åkesson are more liberal on social issues than their respecitive party platforms, and the party platform is more liberal than their parties' bases.

Hägglund was challanged in KD's last leadership election because he was seen as too moderate, but carried the election thanks to his general popularity. 

EDIT: It's also worth noting that Björklund (the People's Party leader) are more social conservative than his party, which is why he appears at the same place as Hägglund and Reinfeldt.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2013, 07:03:26 PM by Swedish Cheese »

I did the Political Compass for our party leaders. Does this seem correct?

No Romsson?

It's seems mostly correct, but I think Åkesson is certainly more to the right on economics than Löfvén when you take taxes into account. So that doesn't seem quite right.

Hägglund seems to have gotten too libretairian on there too. He isn't as Conservative as Åkesson, but certainly more so than Björklund or Reinfeldt considering he's pro-life and against same-sex marriage while they are not.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2013, 08:50:01 AM »

I was somewhat surprised by the placing of the party leaders on the Political Compass. Is Reinfeldt now (slightly) to the left  of the leaders of the other 'bourgeois' parties, when it comes to economic policy? And is this true for the parties in general as well - i.e. are Centerpartiet and Folkpartiet now to the right of Moderaterna in many aspects?

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2013, 10:49:52 AM »

I was somewhat surprised by the placing of the party leaders on the Political Compass. Is Reinfeldt now (slightly) to the left  of the leaders of the other 'bourgeois' parties, when it comes to economic policy? And is this true for the parties in general as well - i.e. are Centerpartiet and Folkpartiet now to the right of Moderaterna in many aspects?

Yes and yes.

And welcome to the forum. ^^
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies