Fiscal Cliff Deal is Reached
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:02:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fiscal Cliff Deal is Reached
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Fiscal Cliff Deal is Reached  (Read 12741 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »

I understand the far-rights arguement against the Deal, they just don't want to raise any taxes. But what does the left not like about it? Just because instead of Obama pushing for $250000, he compromised and got  $400,000?

Because Obama gave up on literally anything apart from that miserable 4.6 point increase on the hyper-rich. All the cuts the GOP likes are made permanent, while everything the Democrats want to defend are only postponed by a couple months.

Democrats are morons.

such as?

The income tax cuts for 98% of Americans, as well as the disgusting estate tax cut, probably the worst thing of the Bush package, which will only see a microscopic hike.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »

So the Dems were in a position where what they want happens automatically but they compromise it down just for the heck of it. What a world!

You mean the Democrats wanted taxes to go up on the middle class far more than what happens under this deal?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »

I thought you were suppouse to fall off the Cliff if a deal weren't reached before today. When is the actual deadline for actually falling off the cliff?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »

I thought you were suppouse to fall off the Cliff if a deal weren't reached before today. When is the actual deadline for actually falling off the cliff?

Going a bit over the cliff isn't as bad as were led to believe, but sadly we are going with a terrible deal that is worse than no deal. The only real serious short term consequence would have been some unemployment checks stopping.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2013, 07:58:32 PM »

The House GOP appears to have had second thoughts, and will hold a straight up-down vote on the Fiscal Cliff deal tonight:

House could vote Tuesday on Senate cliff deal

By Paul Kane, Rosalind S. Helderman and and Jerry Markon,
Updated: Tuesday, January 1, 7:52 PM

House Republicans reversed course Tuesday evening and charted a course toward likely passage of the bipartisan agreement struck in the Senate to avoid the worst effects of the “fiscal cliff,’’setting up a late-night vote to complete a dramatic day in which the critical legislation appeared to be endangered for several hours.

In a second meeting with GOP members Tuesday, House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) and Majority Leader Eric I. Cantor (R-Va.) outlined the options for handling the Senate plan while explaining the high “risk” involved with approving a different bill that might die in the other chamber, according to lawmakers exiting the evening session. Such an outcome could make the House GOP the public face of a failed effort to avert automatic tax hikes and spending cuts and possibly cause a public outcry as taxes on every American worker would jump.

As votes unfolded on unrelated legislation Tuesday night, GOP leaders were surveying lawmakers to see if they would rather go down the risky path of trying to amend the Senate bill -- which received a whopping bipartisan tally of 89 votes, with just three Democrats and five Republicans in opposition -- or bring that legislation to the floor for a an up-or-down vote.

As lawmakers left the meeting, a broad consensus seemed to be emerging that Boehner’s team should just bring up the Senate bill, negotiated by Vice President Biden and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), for a vote, rather than try to amend a large package of roughly $330 billion in spending cuts to accompany the bill back across the Capitol for an uncertain fate.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2013, 08:01:03 PM »

Going a bit over the cliff isn't as bad as were led to believe, but sadly we are going with a terrible deal that is worse than no deal. The only real serious short term consequence would have been some unemployment checks stopping.

Oh I'm aware the cliff is really no cliff, and I'm more than sceptical to the deal. But what I meant (to clairify) is what date has a deal have to be passed before raised taxes and automatic spending cuts start kicking in?

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »

Oh I'm aware the cliff is really no cliff, and I'm more than sceptical to the deal. But what I meant (to clairify) is what date has a deal have to be passed before raised taxes and automatic spending cuts start kicking in?

Yesterday.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2013, 08:17:31 PM »

House to vote on the Senate version after 9pm
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2013, 08:20:11 PM »

Is it going to be carried live on any network?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2013, 08:23:15 PM »

You mean other than C-SPAN?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2013, 08:23:54 PM »

You mean other than C-SPAN?

Yes.  I've currently got CNN on.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2013, 08:36:31 PM »

Yesterday.

Clearly the world as we know it ended today.
Benj

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2013, 08:50:51 PM »

Yesterday, but it's very easy to pass retroactive funding, which is what Congress will do. Since the military is grossly overfunded at the moment, losing a significant chunk of its funding for a few days has essentially no effect, and most of the cliff spending cuts were to the military.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2013, 09:05:54 PM »

According to Dana Bash, Congressional Correspondent for CNN, the House has started debating, but the actual vote will occur between 11:15-11:45 pm ET.  Both sides are confident of passage.  The White House is cautiously optimistic at this hour!
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2013, 09:07:01 PM »

So the GOP-amended version, with spending cuts, didn't have enough votes to pass.

So now they're back to the original Senate bill (passed last night), and they're counting votes on it now.

Madness.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2013, 09:10:45 PM »

So the GOP-amended version, with spending cuts, didn't have enough votes to pass.

So now they're back to the original Senate bill (passed last night), and they're counting votes on it now.

Madness.

Pretty much.  They'll vote in about 2 - 2 1/2 hours from now.  Speaker Boehner wouldn't have brought it to an up or down vote if he wasn't confident of its passage.  He's been humiliated before my his own caucus, so he's playing it somewhat more cautiously.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2013, 09:20:31 PM »

House is now voting.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2013, 09:27:17 PM »

Not so fast.  This is just a procedural/roll call vote.  After this vote, they will begin the debate and then vote on the actual Senate bill before midnight ET.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2013, 09:32:43 PM »

Not so fast.  This is just a procedural/roll call vote.  After this vote, they will begin the debate and then vote on the actual Senate bill before midnight ET.

Dang. Tongue
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2013, 09:37:35 PM »

Dang. Tongue

LOL, my thoughts exactly when Wolf Blitzer clarfied that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »

A couple good signs.  The procedural vote was 418-10 in favor.  That almost NEVER happens.  Also, the vote may come as early at 10:30-10:45 pm ET.  Dana Bash says the Representatives are as tired as everybody else. Smiley
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2013, 10:20:50 PM »

Grover Norquist is on board with this legislation as it passed the Senate.  That's scary...
retromike22
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »

The vote begins!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2013, 10:41:19 PM »