Irish Demographic Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:48:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish Demographic Maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Irish Demographic Maps  (Read 34850 times)
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2013, 10:04:35 AM »

Crumlin/Drimnagh (large Dublin suburban local authority estates built in the 1930s) stands out there. Cabra in Dublin Central was built at the same time but there would be more of a variety of housing stock timewise in Dublin Central.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2013, 10:13:26 AM »

Non-manual Hairdressers. What do they hold the scissors with, their feet?

You've seen the standard Irish male haircut then?

Yes. I spent a few weeks in Dublin as a teenager.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »

I like how most of the articles I can find seem to think "suicide" is such a dirty word that the fact cannot be put to paper. Pretty crass, though, and they seem to be at a bit of a loss as to why.

The cause of death wasn't specified for the first couple of days - "sudden death" was used as a euphemism, although it was vague enough that when I first heard the news I assumed it was a heart attack - but the media were more forthcoming once the funeral had taken place. I think the general idea in these cases would be to not put more pressure on the immediate family.

There tend to be a lot of euphemisms used for death here in any case - "peacefully" or "after a long illness" for cancer, for example - so it's wider than some notion of suicide being a sin. It's part of a more general tendency for indirect or non-confrontational speech in this country.

The most annoying recent euphemism, and one borrowed from the US, is the term "passed" and "passing" for "died" or "death".

Update:General discussion of Irish media's attitude towards suicide in one of today's papers.

This reminds me of the weird RTE-ism "the death has taken place of..." I can only assume it's some kind of common Hiberno-English turn of phrase that I've never heard anyone use in person.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2013, 07:52:44 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2013, 07:54:15 PM by Franknburger »

I would assume so.

It's just a "not really 'White-collar' (or low level White Collar) but not really 'labourer' type jobs" category.

You mean, low level White collar as in

I suppose non-manual athletes includes football players, but excludes rugby or tennis. Correct?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2013, 08:47:02 AM »

Final Socio-economic reference maps..

I have no idea why I put so many brackets in for this one...

And now, the detritrus

As with the other 'others' map, I'm not totally sure what it signifies.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »

Back to the sector maps.... Now let's play a game of spot the International Airport. No prizes for winning.

And now for the bureaucrats...

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2013, 09:48:50 AM »

I would assume so.

It's just a "not really 'White-collar' (or low level White Collar) but not really 'labourer' type jobs" category.

You mean, low level White collar as in

I suppose non-manual athletes includes football players, but excludes rugby or tennis. Correct?

A detailed breakdown of the categories was offered in the earlier link.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2013, 11:58:46 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2013, 12:15:56 PM by ObserverIE »

I think Japhy's humour chip needs reinstalling...

Football here is often (usually) referred to as "soccer". "Footballers" here:

are definitely manual, but don't get paid for the job so don't count for the census Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

They don't get paid? I don't believe you.

They get paid less but that taxfree, is probably more like it.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2013, 05:12:40 PM by Japhy Ryder »

No, it's me not reading properly. At least, I hope that is what it is. I'm too young and melancholic to go without humour....

Also when growing up I always referred to the 'foreign game' as football as did my friends and we hardly thought about GAA at all but then again, I didn't have a typical Irish upbringing...

They don't get paid? I don't believe you.

They get paid less but that taxfree, is probably more like it.

There are ways to get money from Sponsorship, television deals, etc for some of the most renowned athletes (which is contributing the slow sapping away of amateurism) but for now, they aren't paid. Even under the table payment can raise a scandal.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »

In various descriptions of the sectors, I have seen this described merely as "Health and Education" but in the actual charts it is described as "Professional Services" so whatever, but 'Health and Education' seem as good a guide as any..

And again the left behind...

ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »

No, it's me not reading properly. At least, I hope that is what it is. I'm too young and melancholic to go without humour....

To be fair, it took a second reading for me to get the joke, but, yes, Germans can do dry humour Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There are ways to get money from Sponsorship, television deals, etc for some of the most renowned athletes (which is contributing the slow sapping away of amateurism) but for now, they aren't paid. Even under the table payment can raise a scandal.
[/quote]

At inter-county level, they get travelling expenses for going to training (often 3-4 times a week) and matches and get looked after for medical and physiotherapy expenses, get meals, playing gear, etc. paid for. At the more local club level (all inter-county players will also play at club level) they may get travelling expenses if they're making a long journey, there's insurance for medical expenses, and there's often tea and sandwiches after training or a match.

Generally, being an inter-county player tends (or has tended) to be good for your job prospects. You're a local celebrity so you're attractive for publicity-type jobs such as travelling salesperson for a company (often a company that also sponsors the local county team), or as a primary or secondary school teacher. Counties may often employ players as coaches or as schools development workers, though this won't form a long-term career. (There can also be the WAG factor, but that can be more of a financial outlay than a benefit Wink )

The problem is that the country isn't big enough or support big enough for a professional game to thrive. (The regular financial collapse/revival cycle of Irish soccer league clubs bear witness to this.) It doesn't have an audience outside Ireland except for emigrant communities in the US, UK and Australia.

There's also the club-county relationship; an inter-county team is a representative team drawn from local clubs within that county and inter-county players are expected to play with their clubs when the inter-county team isn't playing - indeed for most people the primary loyalty will be to the local club and secondly to the county. That relationship wouldn't survive professionalism.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »

Education Education Education... Starting at the highest and lowest levels. These maps represent the highest education level attained by constituency (so the Postgrad map excludes PhDs, etc) of the population over the age of 15.

And a bit of a jump here

Technically, I do have data for people who have had no formal education at all (or left Primary school before the age of 12) but in no constituency do they constitute more than 1% although Donegal South West was close. I'll make a map if anyone asks. The Upper Secondary and Degree maps will come later too.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2013, 09:27:10 AM »

Could you do a map of primary school dropouts?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2013, 09:29:44 AM »

Could you do a map of primary school dropouts?

I knew it was you that was going to ask that Tongue.
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »

what's the well educated area to the west of Co. Dublin? kildare east? no doesn't sound right
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »

what's the well educated area to the west of Co. Dublin? kildare east? no doesn't sound right

Kildare North which is mostly young and exurban (as some housing maps I have but haven't put yet shall demonstrate). It also contains a university, one which this very poster went to for his undergraduate.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »

And here you are...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2013, 10:17:27 AM »

Degrees - Tell me if you are bored of this pattern:

The next levels below I'm not too sure how to sort. They are:
Non-Degree (I assume diplomas and other third-level qualifications which are below degrees)
Upper Secondary with Technical and Vocational
Technical and Vocational
Upper Secondary
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2013, 10:26:05 AM »

New Patterns - subject distribution of 3rd level education again. Remember this is as a percentage of degree and diploma holders only:

ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2013, 09:32:17 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2013, 09:35:54 PM by ObserverIE »

Kildare North which is mostly young and exurban (as some housing maps I have but haven't put yet shall demonstrate). It also contains a university, one which this very poster went to for his undergraduate.

Kildare Sprawl North also contains major facilities belonging to Intel and Hewlett-Packard. Cork South Central is Big Pharma country (Pfizer, Eli Lilly).
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2013, 07:11:45 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2013, 08:10:27 AM by Japhy Ryder »

Kildare Sprawl North also contains major facilities belonging to Intel and Hewlett-Packard. Cork South Central is Big Pharma country (Pfizer, Eli Lilly).

To be fair, towns like Maynooth and Kilcock can't really be considered Sprawl. Naas on the other hand... A terrible, terrible place.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2013, 08:39:23 AM »

To be fair, towns like Maynooth and Kilcock can't really be considered Sprawl. Naas on the other hand... A terrible, terrible place.

Trying to get across eastern Kildare from the M4 to the M7 so as to avoid going into Dublin is interesting.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2013, 08:47:21 AM »

Trying to get across eastern Kildare from the M4 to the M7 so as to avoid going into Dublin is interesting.

Although not in Kildare North, but Kildare South, Newbridge is equally awful.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »

Although not in Kildare North, but Kildare South, Newbridge is equally awful.

Tell me about it.

The quaint Kildare tradition of refusing to erect signposts does not help.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies