People with disabilities vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:28:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  People with disabilities vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: People with disabilities vote  (Read 4127 times)
Hip Hop Republican
Frances Perkins
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »
« edited: March 09, 2013, 09:15:37 PM by Frances Perkins »

Soy curioso en cómo hace a personas que tienen o incapacidades mentales o físicas votan en elecciones, dar que están entre el sordo de la sociedad y yo sería curioso en cómo votan entre como un grupo. Mi experiencia con personas descapacitadas es que generalmente la mayor parte tiende a ser más liberal en sus vistas, aunque tengo hallazgo que hay un rayo libertario fuerte entre ésos con Aspergers. Más probable es a causa de la filosofía de se queda sólo solo enteramente que es tan prominente en la comunidad autista.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:17:36 PM »

Well considering what the Republicans want to do to them, it is hard to imagine very many would vote that way.  Perhaps the few wealthy ones...
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »

If they are so disabled that they cannot work, they almost certainly vote Democrat. The Asperger types to have that libertarian lean, but I'm not sure I would call them disabled.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »

Well considering what the Republicans want to do to them, it is hard to imagine very many would vote that way.  Perhaps the few wealthy ones...
Republicans don't want to do anything to them.  I'm Asperger's and I'm a Republican (but a pretty mainstream one, not a libertarian type).  I also have Tourette's and OCD and I don't consider any of those three things as disabilities.  If anything, I consider them to be tremendous gifts and blessings.

And before you talk about "what Republicans want to do to them", please consider thay Democrats want to abort them (at least if their impairmemts are known before birth.)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 12:04:03 AM »

Well considering what the Republicans want to do to them, it is hard to imagine very many would vote that way.  Perhaps the few wealthy ones...

And before you talk about "what Republicans want to do to them", please consider thay Democrats want to abort them (at least if their impairmemts are known before birth.)

We pro choicers support the right to choose, not a modern day vision of eugenics. If they female wants to abort her baby with down syndrome that is all up to her decision, not what you or any of us think.

That all sounds good in theory, but in practice 90%+ of Down Syndrome pregnancies are aborted. For all the talk about what the GOP won't do for the disabled, at least they want them to make it out of the womb.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:53:42 AM »

It depends, but a lot of the mild Asperger's folks tend to be liberal for the most part. The severe cases however tend to lean apolitical.

I think most disabled Americans would vote Democrat, because of the approval of social services by the government like Social Security and Medicare.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 01:18:32 AM »

I didn't realize aspergers caused partisan lean?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 06:41:36 AM »

though I've find it that there is a strong libertarian streak among those with Aspergers. Most likely it's because of the philosophy of just being left alone entirely that is so prominent in the autistic community.

If so, Aspie's intelligence is definitely overrated. Tongue It should be easy to realize how a social communication disability would completely screw you in the everybody-for-himself society that libertarians champion, and how more than anyone else you need the help of an open and caring society to thrive.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 08:40:22 AM »

though I've find it that there is a strong libertarian streak among those with Aspergers. Most likely it's because of the philosophy of just being left alone entirely that is so prominent in the autistic community.

If so, Aspie's intelligence is definitely overrated. Tongue It should be easy to realize how a social communication disability would completely screw you in the everybody-for-himself society that libertarians champion, and how more than anyone else you need the help of an open and caring society to thrive.
What about me?  I don't consider my Asperger's to be a disability.  I get plenty of social services from the government, but it's not how I want to live the rest of my life.  I want to overcome my challenges and succeed.  That's what libertarians want.  I'm much more of a mainstream conservative than a libertarian, but I hope you understand what I'm sayng.
And how is our intelligence overrated?  Aspies are known for having above average intelligence and tremendous success in various areas.  There are plenty of famously great minds who are thought to have possibly been Aspies, including Albert Einstein, Sir Isaac Newton, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Edison, Sir Alfred Hitchcock, Isaac Asimov, and Charles M. Schulz.  I believe that Stephen Spielberg is actually diagnosed with Aspergers as well.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »

What about me?  I don't consider my Asperger's to be a disability.  I get plenty of social services from the government, but it's not how I want to live the rest of my life.  I want to overcome my challenges and succeed.  That's what libertarians want.  I'm much more of a mainstream conservative than a libertarian, but I hope you understand what I'm sayng.
And how is our intelligence overrated?  Aspies are known for having above average intelligence and tremendous success in various areas.  There are plenty of famously great minds who are thought to have possibly been Aspies, including Albert Einstein, Sir Isaac Newton, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Edison, Sir Alfred Hitchcock, Isaac Asimov, and Charles M. Schulz.  I believe that Stephen Spielberg is actually diagnosed with Aspergers as well.

For one of these guys, there are thousands who were unable to fulfill their potential and achieve anything in life because society did not understand them/care about them. And the furthest you go in the past, the hardest it would be for an Asperger's to stand a chance. It is obvious to see that in an everybody-for-himself society, being out of the mainstream is an enormous liability.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 12:41:15 PM »

Well, if you are disabled to the point you are incompetent, you can't vote. If you are talking about someone with physical disabilities, I imagine that they are probably very fiscally liberal but probably vote more Republican because of bioethical concerns.. I think its called "INDY", like "NIMBY" or the "I'm not Dead Yet" crowd.

Those who are not incompetent but have learning disabilities (ADHD (which is arguably on the autistic spectrum), Austistic Spectrum, Dyslexia) or mood disorders (bipolar and that sorta stuff) probably lead  unconvientional lives and probably flock to the Democrats and Libertarian Republicans who will not judge them that they take a few years longer to settle into a career or otherwise have lives that are not "normal". Being Aspie or Bipolar can probably be compared to being LGBTC.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 01:01:09 PM »

Well, if you are disabled to the point you are incompetent, you can't vote. If you are talking about someone with physical disabilities, I imagine that they are probably very fiscally liberal but probably vote more Republican because of bioethical concerns.. I think its called "INDY", like "NIMBY" or the "I'm not Dead Yet" crowd.

Those who are not incompetent but have learning disabilities (ADHD (which is arguably on the autistic spectrum), Austistic Spectrum, Dyslexia) or mood disorders (bipolar and that sorta stuff) probably lead  unconvientional lives and probably flock to the Democrats and Libertarian Republicans who will not judge them that they take a few years longer to settle into a career or otherwise have lives that are not "normal". Being Aspie or Bipolar can probably be compared to being LGBTC.

What's the C in LGBTC stand for?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 01:09:33 PM »

Curious/Questioning
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »

I thought that letter was Q
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »

So it is Q, huh?

But this is part of the large shadow of Buckley's "Fusionism" or probably a more precisely a defining part of what conservatives think freedom is. Freedom is not just the right to exclude people from what is yours but also the right to exclude people from your community that don't "belong" as part of a right to the fruits of their labor.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 12:12:39 AM »

As an Aspie, I can say that no two of us are alike. From my experience though, we tend to get obsessions that determine what we focus on in life. If that obsession is political, then... idk. I'm very, VERY liberal, but I know Aspie Republicans as well. Aspergers doesn't determine our political ideology, it can just make us that much more involved.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 02:21:01 AM »

I didn't realize aspergers caused partisan lean?

Everything causes partisan lean.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 10:41:09 AM »

Though I do think Asperger's is thrown around alot, though. It sort of seems that if a girl gets teased more than liked and/or is failing school, she is bipolar and if it is a boy, he is Asperger's. Though, there is probably something going around and formative experiences probably do make you want to believe more in thing than another under the caveat that people cope with things like failure, success and victimization differently. Some people blame themselves, some people blame others and some people blame nature, luck or no one or nothing at all.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 11:11:29 AM »

Republicans don't want to do anything to them.

They want to cut the dole buddy.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 12:21:31 PM »

Or cancel it altogether.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 10:40:27 PM »

As opposed to the dems who merely want them murdered in utero.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »

We don't want that to happen. We don't condone abortion, we just think it should be a decision left to the woman.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 10:52:15 AM »

Beyond the hyperbole, I do think there is a disagreement about which policy would emulate the infamous crimes against humanity done in the past in the name of eugenics. The progressive stance is that if the government makes reproductive and biological decisions for individuals, that is the above. Traditionalists think the above is emulated when any biological or reproductive decision is made that they find offensive.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »

Kind of typical that the politics of disability = autism and abortion to people here.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »

I'd much rather be aborted than have to live without government 'assistance' if I were 'disabled' or a non-privileged.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies