Summary of Feinstein's Gun Bill coming in January
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:48:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Summary of Feinstein's Gun Bill coming in January
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Summary of Feinstein's Gun Bill coming in January  (Read 2941 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »

Take a peek
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I wonder what the bill counts as a "military characteristic"
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 11:32:36 AM »
« Edited: December 27, 2012, 11:40:03 AM by IDS Speaker SJoyce »

It's a scary guns ban.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »

It's a scary guns ban.

That picture you showed - one is a semi-auto with a large clip, while the other is a bolt-action with a small one. The former is clearly a more military weapon.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 02:36:51 PM »

Handguns that can accept a detachable magazine? Feinstein is insane.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »

There is no way she's going to get those who have grandfathered guns to come in and get fingerprinted.......not going to happen.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 03:47:24 PM »

Handguns that can accept a detachable magazine? Feinstein is insane.
And have a military feature.  The bill is referring to handguns like this:

Not ones like this:

There is no way she's going to get those who have grandfathered guns to come in and get fingerprinted.......not going to happen.

A registration requirement for grandfathered weapons might be politically possible, but not the fingerprinting.  Even without the fingerprinting, I would expect a fair amount of registration avoidance.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »

A registration requirement for grandfathered weapons might be politically possible, but not the fingerprinting.  Even without the fingerprinting, I would expect a fair amount of registration avoidance.

I'd scratch "a fair amount of" and say "almost complete".
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 05:32:04 PM »

What's wrong with registering your gun?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 07:18:12 PM »

When the UN comes to take our guns away in their black helicopters, they'll know where to go if they're registered.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 11:11:48 PM »

AWB 2:the stupider
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 11:29:07 PM »

Not passing the House and not getting 60 (maybe not even 50) votes in the Senate. But the gun nuts will run around screaming like the paranoid freaks they are anyway.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »

Nothing.  No one is going to do it for all the weapons they own, is the point.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »

Weird that the only gun thread on this message board dealing with actual proposed policy has the fewest (by far it seems) gun control nuts posting in it.  No, weird isn't the right word.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 11:44:05 AM »

I support this bill, but it'll need the House Republicans' support to pass.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »

Which aspect of it do you think will lead to a reduction in crime?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 12:49:53 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2012, 12:57:53 PM by DemPGH »

I'm beginning to think that this is a little like healthcare, war, the war on drugs, Roman style occupations of other countries, and now guns. I keep reading that assault weapons and high magnitude rifles are selling like cups of mocha on a cold winter night out of "fear" of gun bans. Which is absurd, because the GOP will never go for it. That's caused me to appreciate something more than ever: Democrats can fight for gun control all they want, and I admire them for doing so, but the bigger issue is that a huge segment of the population in America is not only willing - but actually insistent - upon retrying things that do not work. Like pumping more and more guns into society. Like trying to occupy another country. Liking continuing the "war on drugs." And so on. It's like you can present information over and over and over to a large part of our dear population, and they just don't get it. They do not accept information that runs counter to their ingrained values and biases, and so regardless of what Feinstein wants we're doomed to sustain more shootings, more rage, and more gun problems until people actually learn from their mistakes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 12:57:32 PM »

I'm beginning to think that this is a little like healthcare, war, Roman style occupations of other countries, and now guns. I keep reading that assault weapons and high magnitude rifles are selling like cups of mocha on a cold winter night out of "fear" of gun bans. Which is absurd,
Indeed, almost as absurd as infringing on the rights of millions of to go after weapons that only kill 500 Americans a year.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »

I'm beginning to think that this is a little like healthcare, war, Roman style occupations of other countries, and now guns. I keep reading that assault weapons and high magnitude rifles are selling like cups of mocha on a cold winter night out of "fear" of gun bans. Which is absurd,
Indeed, almost as absurd as infringing on the rights of millions of to go after weapons that only kill 500 Americans a year.

You can be glad you are not among those 500, can't you? Don't you understand that ONE is too many? No, as I've said before, gun control will not fix it all, but it's sure as hell going to help!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »

Help like the last one helped?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 01:28:15 PM »

You can be glad you are not among those 500, can't you? Don't you understand that ONE is too many? No, as I've said before, gun control will not fix it all, but it's sure as hell going to help!

Ban soda machines! After all, people do occasionally die while trying to tamper with them. And "one is too many."
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 01:34:22 PM »

People who own these weapons are obviously most likely to use them, no matter what lengths they go to to get them. And in a country where gun violence is a big problem, making them easy to obtain is probably contributing to a social pandemic. if something is causing a problem, how could it possibly help to make it more widespread? That fails basic logic.

That people want them because they are afraid they will be banned is actually the bigger problem, and it shows that people continue to not learn. But I don't think Americans as a whole learn from much that isn't standing right in front of them threatening them. Which is a shame.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 01:36:49 PM »

A British-born veterinarian in Florida this year died while treating a horse in a high-oxygen chamber (the horse kicked the wall, causing a spark from its horseshoes which triggered an explosion). The obvious answer is to ban British people, veterinarians, Floridians, horses, high-oxygen chambers, horseshoes, and walls. You can be glad you're not that person, can't you? Don't you understand that ONE is too many? No, as I've said before, banning horses will not fix it all, but it's sure as hell going to help!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »

Which aspect of it do you think will lead to a reduction in crime?

All aspects. The harder it is to procure a powerful gun, the less likely that it will be used to commit a crime. For instance, if a mass killer is forced to stop and reload after 10 rounds, they can be taken down while they are reloading, or this may allow time for more people to get away.

As I've said before though, the assault weapons ban would not be the first place I'd go, for both practical and political reasons. There are a lot of things that can be done first. For instance, (1) appoint a director to ATF, (2) close the gun show loophole, (3) improve state level background check databases, (4) Restore gun funding to the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, (5) allow doctors to survey patients' gun practices during wellness checks, (6) allow Florida pediatricians to offer gun safety tips, and so on. But I do support it (the ban).

Soda machines kill, because they are bad for your health. That's why they were removed from many schools. That said, the joys of tasty soda are widely appreciated and undisputed. The reasons why people buy assault weapons are not clear at all.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 01:44:52 PM »

A British-born veterinarian in Florida this year died while treating a horse in a high-oxygen chamber (the horse kicked the wall, causing a spark from its horseshoes which triggered an explosion). The obvious answer is to ban British people, veterinarians, Floridians, horses, high-oxygen chambers, horseshoes, and walls. You can be glad you're not that person, can't you? Don't you understand that ONE is too many? No, as I've said before, banning horses will not fix it all, but it's sure as hell going to help!

I have to wonder if this and the soda argument are even serious. The thing described in this post is a rather unusual accident. Someone who needs a fix from owning a sniper rifle is such an entirely different situation that if I have to explain the difference it's probably best to not bother.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies