Why are there so many churchy people here.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:07:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why are there so many churchy people here.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Why are there so many churchy people here.  (Read 4200 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2012, 01:26:50 AM »

Ignoring the fact that i havent posted for 11 days, I don't think this forum is very churchy. Even if it was, why is that a bad thing?

Yeah, this forum is only 'churchy' relative to memphis, Joe Republic, and HockeyDude's apparent social circles. It isn't churchy relative to American society or the world as a whole at all.
It's much churchier here than I expected. And that was my entire point. Maybe it's less churchy than other people would expect.  It is true that I am beyond baffled by the culture of religion, but that's rather a different topic and I certainly have no expectation of changing any opinions. Not like anybody has ever been persuaded by political arguments on here either.

My point is the expectation being flouted by this ULTRA-'CHURCHY' FORUM TWO-FIFTHS OF WHICH GOES TO CHURCH ON CHRISTMAS!!!! seems to have been dictated by a very particular social environment, because that's the only standard by which this place could possibly be so characterized--and HockeyDude and Joe Republic have more or less admitted as such. Maybe if you interacted with a broader cross-section of American society more your 'bafflement' would decrease.

My "bafflement" is contrived from the fact that such a large number of young liberals would find so much merit in religion, particularly since so many of those liberals seem to agree with someone like me on most if not all major issues, and then we hit this wall religion where it could not be more opposite.  It's confusing on a purely psychological level.

Ah, I see. I think that's an entirely fair type of confusion for anybody to have, particularly if you perceive your beliefs as connected and mutually supported across a continuum of issues. I'm used to living with similar confusion, since I don't believe my set of views is particularly common even though I see all of them as interrelated.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2012, 02:56:15 AM »

Ah, my family says, "...the price of eggs?" My friends claim they've never heard the expression. Glad this confirms that it's actually a saying.

And mine refers to the price of milk.  It's a common enough saying to denote a non sequitur, tho the commodity being priced varies.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2012, 04:57:51 AM »

You either didn't read or didn't understand my point.  I was talking to memphis, and by extension anybody else who is baffled by the culture of religion.  Not Nathan, not you, or any other religious people.  (Didn't you see my use of the word "us"?)  Sure, you guys are all here anyway and can all read my posts, which makes things a little awkward I guess, but I'm simply talking amongst my peers.

Remember when HockeyDude said earlier that this forum is different from real life in that whenever he discusses religion with his social peers, it's to criticize or mock it?  I'm the same; I'm just not used to talking about religion in front of people who actually subscribe to it.

Not entirely true, Joe.  I've plenty of teligious friends, but in my closest crew agnosticism is the majority, and even the religious ones at least see my point and don't consider it offensive in the least. 

Fair enough, and in fact I'm also about the same with that too.  It's generally more apatheism than agnosticism, though.  And as I mentioned earlier, my religious friends invariably keep their beliefs entirely to themselves to the point that I didn't even know that about them until I add them on some kind of social media.  That's when they pour forth.  Quite interesting, really.  It's kind of like finding out they're gay or Republican or something; not necessarily anything wrong with it, per se.  Just... surprising.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »

Not like anybody has ever been persuaded by political arguments on here either.
I don't think that is accurate.  People change and some of that change has to be due to debate here and places like it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »

Not like anybody has ever been persuaded by political arguments on here either.
I don't think that is accurate.  People change and some of that change has to be due to debate here and places like it.
Citation please? It was foolish of me to speak in absolutes, but it been my experience that everyone here (including me) just wants to mouth off his opinion which he just knows is 100% right. I would love to see a thread where somebody changes his mind after a persuasive debate. Seeing that would restore some of  my faith in democracy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies