Why are there so many churchy people here.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:40:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why are there so many churchy people here.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Why are there so many churchy people here.  (Read 4201 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 25, 2012, 04:10:29 PM »

Most people here are nerdy guys under the age of 30. Not a place I'd expect to find the smug religious types. Yet they are very common. What gives?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 04:12:23 PM »

dunno if it's that common on the forum so much as Brtd brings up the average w. hipster 'christanity' and so on
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 04:21:39 PM »

Anyone in particular you're referring to? Nerdy guys under 30 are indeed terribly non-religious, but I'd wager enough of them are still at least vaguely and instinctually spiritually inclined on Christmas of all days that Atlas Forum is hardly out of the ordinary.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 04:46:15 PM »

What "smug religious types"? The only real Bible-thumping nut we had has been banned a while ago, and BRTD is just pathologically obsessive.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »

I just assumed it was an American cultural thing. Church and all that jazz.

I don't think there are any European 'churchy' types on here, but I might be mistaken.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »

It is a cultural thing.  Church is still a much more integral part of most communities in America than they are in Europe, where they tend to cater to American tourists who want to go to church Tongue

But yeah, it's Christmas.  I'd wager most Americans, even youngs, still go to church on Christmas and Easter.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »

Yeah this forum does not seem very "churchy" to me. Except for BRTD who has a very...interesting definition of "churchy".
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »

It does seem a little disappointing at first glance, I'll agree.  But the result of the 'did you go to church last night' poll right now stands at about 65% 'no', so there's still hope for us yet.

I wonder how many of the rational folks among us still went to church anyway because of family tradition/pressure.  Poor guys.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »

It does seem a little disappointing at first glance, I'll agree.  But the result of the 'did you go to church last night' poll right now stands at about 65% 'no', so there's still hope for us yet.

I wonder how many of the rational folks among us still went to church anyway because of family tradition/pressure.  Poor guys.

Don't be a putz. It's Christmas.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 06:36:47 PM »

As a nonbeliever who has been to a few masses, I can tell you it's not lethal. It might be a tad boring - but there are much more boring things you can be forced to do on special occasions.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 07:04:03 PM »

Don't be a putz. It's Christmas.

Duh!  I'm having a blast today!  One of my favorite times of year.  The Mrs and I exchanged gifts that had been sitting under the tree, her parents came to stay for a couple days, we went ice skating at the Cosmo two days ago, we watched our favorite Christmas movies, etc.  We just don't go in for all the religious claptrap that's meant to go with it.

As a nonbeliever who has been to a few masses, I can tell you it's not lethal.

Believe me, I know.  I went to a few as a child.  But eventually I grew up and understood the reality of Santa and God.  At least the concept of Santa is fun for the kids, however.  The God stuff is just a giant holiday buzzkill.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 07:52:51 PM »

Funny. I wasn't even thinking about Christmas. It's a subject I've been thinking about for a while.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 08:12:06 PM »

Funny. I wasn't even thinking about Christmas. It's a subject I've been thinking about for a while.

I have too.  But it isn't just a surprising thing about this forum.  Even real people I meet in real life might seem normal at first, but then we'll add each other on FB or IG and suddenly my feeds are full of "Blessed is the child, for he is risen! --Ralph 5:21" and so on.  Only occasionally is it annoying (like when it essentially becomes spam), but it's just more... surprising, really.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2012, 08:47:47 PM by Nathan »

Duh!  I'm having a blast today!  One of my favorite times of year.  The Mrs and I exchanged gifts that had been sitting under the tree, her parents came to stay for a couple days, we went ice skating at the Cosmo two days ago, we watched our favorite Christmas movies, etc.  We just don't go in for all the religious claptrap that's meant to go with it.

And, since it's Christmas, kindly show goodwill and charity to those of us who do instead of (or in addition to!--for this also is possible; believe me, I know from experience) being judgmental for no good reason.

Believe me, I know.  I went to a few as a child.  But eventually I grew up and understood the reality of Santa and God.  At least the concept of Santa is fun for the kids, however.  The God stuff is just a giant holiday buzzkill.

The God stuff is, for most people who celebrate this holiday, largely the point, at least conceptually. In some countries the God stuff is the Santa stuff. Ask Tender.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 09:00:48 PM »

If it makes Nathan feel better, as a secular human I hate the consumerist and religious aspects of Christmas. I also hate the deadweight loss that comes along with it. Just want $$$ yo.

I was also coerced to go to my Presbyterian church and read a passage to the church so my convictions are pretty weak and you should take all of them with a grain of salt.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 10:54:02 PM »

It's America. Nuff said.

I imagine in other parts of the world internet forums are far less religious.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 11:56:52 PM »

And, since it's Christmas, kindly show goodwill and charity to those of us who do instead of (or in addition to!--for this also is possible; believe me, I know from experience) being judgmental for no good reason.

The God stuff is, for most people who celebrate this holiday, largely the point, at least conceptually. In some countries the God stuff is the Santa stuff. Ask Tender.

Dude, it's just my opinion.  And it's just what I'm used to, virtually my whole life.  Don't act all affronted that a sizeable number of people enjoy the fun side of certain Christian holidays without bothering with the dull religious stuff associated with them.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 12:14:33 AM »
« Edited: December 26, 2012, 12:25:37 AM by Nathan »

Dude, it's just my opinion.  And it's just what I'm used to, virtually my whole life.  Don't act all affronted that a sizeable number of people enjoy the fun side of certain Christian holidays without bothering with the dull religious stuff associated with them.

I've no quarrel with the fact of widespread secular celebration of Christmas. I like it, more or less.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 12:16:15 AM »

It's disappoiting that people go to church on Christmas? That's a good one.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 01:05:30 AM »

It's disappoiting that people go to church on Christmas? That's a good one.

That's... not really what I said.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »

I'm a guy under the age of 30, and I would consider myself pretty spiritual, but I wouldn't call myself "nerdy" or "churchy".
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 06:30:01 PM »

The gift side of Christmas is so nice at the theoretical level. And in practice, it is so revolting. Reminds me of communism.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »

No, this is a Church-y place.  Some of my anti-religion comments that are commonplace amongst my NJ social group get a lot of a venom over in the Religion & Philosophy board.   
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 07:42:10 AM »
« Edited: December 27, 2012, 08:08:15 AM by Mr. Morden »

A large fraction of the folks here are either high school or college age, and thus would be pushed into going to church on Christmas by family obligation, whether they wanted to or not.

And then a large fraction of the remainders are over 30 and wouldn't fall under the demographic umbrella described in the OP.  There's only a relatively narrow demographic window during which one is unlikely to either be pushed into going church on Christmas by family obligation, or to go on one's own initiative.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 08:39:45 AM »

I think one could easily argue that what you're doing in this thread goes a bit beyond "not celebrating the religious aspect of Christmas"

I personally see no reason to complain about other peoples' celebrations of holidays.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies