Opinion of Eamon de Valera
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:26:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Eamon de Valera
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Mixed

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Opinion of Eamon de Valera  (Read 1536 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2012, 03:36:24 PM »

Sacred Atlasian tradition of having a bitchfest battle over Mr. de Valera question.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »

Trad con=FF
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »

Not by any means.

Anyway, This is too complicated to answer fully in a format smaller than that of an Essay (but most certainly not 'FF').
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 11:11:49 PM »

There is no other option than "Mixed".
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:14:45 PM »

Mega HP for me.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 05:47:05 AM »

Both, but I voted FF to tie the poll up 5-5-5.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »

Ireland was basically a Horrible Country until about a generation ago and de Valera was an HP. Not the people of course (people are almost always infinitely better than their rulers) He bears a huge responsibility for signing Ireland up (quite literally, in terms of the Constitution) to Catholic social policy and inflicting censorship laws that were comparable to Franco's Spain.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 09:16:23 AM »

Ireland was basically a Horrible Country until about a generation ago and de Valera was an HP. Not the people of course (people are almost always infinitely better than their rulers) He bears a huge responsibility for signing Ireland up (quite literally, in terms of the Constitution) to Catholic social policy and inflicting censorship laws that were comparable to Franco's Spain.

Yeah, well uh that is just because you do not like comely maidens dancing at the crossroads. Wink

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 09:18:31 AM »

Yeah, well uh that is just because you do not like comely maidens dancing at the crossroads. Wink

I do, I just don't like it when they're overdressed for the occasion.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »

Quite. Just too damn cold for the lassies in the Galtee mountain air. Maybe the Brits weren't so wrong about this whole Van Diemens Land business. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 09:36:46 AM »

Quite. Just too damn cold for the lassies in the Galtee mountain air. Maybe the Brits weren't so wrong about this whole Van Diemens Land business. 
Maybe seasonal selfdeportation is the way forward?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »

This.

Incidentally, I'm not sure The Ireland That We Dreamed Of was really that much more twisted and bankrupt as a concept than the Celtic Tiger turned out to be, just in different ways.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »

Vile person.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 12:28:34 PM »

Incidentally, I'm not sure The Ireland That We Dreamed Of was really that much more twisted and bankrupt as a concept than the Celtic Tiger turned out to be, just in different ways.

It is, appropriately enough given Irish politics, like choosing between sh[inks]it and sh[inks]ite.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »

Oh yes. And a supporter of Franco and showed sympathy toward Hitler.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »

This.

I think that is patently obvious to everyone by now. At least the Celtic Tiger did not ever justify the silence over the mass sex abuse/enforced slavery of poor, inner-city kids. Nobody really quotes that speech now except in mockery.

No. Haven't I taught you anything on this by now?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »

It is, appropriately enough given Irish politics, like choosing between sh[inks]it and sh[inks]ite.

Ah it was ever thus.

Fianna Fail are back to second in the polls, only eight behind FG whose 'support' is predictably crumbling away.

Just in time for Ivan Yates or Sean Gallagher to launch their third party.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »

I'm not what you'd call De Valera's biggest fan (largely for the reasons afleitch listed) but calling him a "vile person" is a bit odd.

I'd still take post-Celtic Tiger Ireland over De Valera's dream Ireland any day, but then it's not like the Celtic Tiger was responsible for effectively destroying the Catholic Church in Ireland...

Ah it was ever thus.

Fianna Fail are back to second in the polls, only eight behind FG whose 'support' is predictably crumbling away.

Seán Quinn for Taoiseach!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »

I'm not what you'd call De Valera's biggest fan (largely for the reasons afleitch listed) but calling him a "vile person" is a bit odd.

I'd still take post-Celtic Tiger Ireland over De Valera's dream Ireland any day, but then it's not like the Celtic Tiger was responsible for effectively destroying the Catholic Church in Ireland...

Ah it was ever thus.

Seán Quinn for Taoiseach!

I don't want even to imagine that option (If there was an election now, I'm sure he would run in Cavan-Monaghan and win a seat easily... which is a fact that shouldn't be dwelled upon for even a second by anyone sane).

I would argue that the Keltic Tigah did help destroy the Church as it helped create that bastard materialist culture that existed c1995-2008 but it was a very minor role. The Church was too busy discrediting itself.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 02:11:32 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2012, 02:18:10 PM by Nathan »

This.

I think that is patently obvious to everyone by now. At least the Celtic Tiger did not ever justify the silence over the mass sex abuse/enforced slavery of poor, inner-city kids. Nobody really quotes that speech now except in mockery.

Very true. There was a very specific set of profoundly nasty undertones to a lot of this sort of early-to-mid-twentieth-century Catholic social policy. See also the amazingly, one finds oneself almost wanting to say uniquely, despicable Maurice Duplessis.

I would argue that the Keltic Tigah did help destroy the Church as it helped create that bastard materialist culture that existed c1995-2008 but it was a very minor role. The Church was too busy discrediting itself.

I'm tempted to see De Valera's, uh, odd dream and the Celtic Tiger as having a distinctly dialectical relationship to each other. So far, from the perspective of an observer who spent time in Ireland as a child but lives thousands of miles away, the synthesis, such as it is, seems kind of crap.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 06:11:28 AM »

There was a very specific set of profoundly nasty undertones to a lot of this sort of early-to-mid-twentieth-century Catholic social policy.
Oh yes. One needs to remember that from time to time in order to be able to happily stomach the sometimes somewhat strange antiCatholicism of certain leftwing writers of the interwar years.

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 07:08:27 AM »

Happy Christmas BRTD
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 04:15:24 PM »

FF, although I would get kicked out of my church for saying that.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »

FF, although I would get kicked out of my church for saying that.

Do you go to some kind of militant Northern Irish unionist-affiliated church? Huh
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 05:56:29 AM »

Dev rejected all demands to support Franco during the Spanish Civil War.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies