Things Get Nuttier in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:17:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Things Get Nuttier in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: Things Get Nuttier in 2020  (Read 60571 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: February 03, 2013, 01:14:46 PM »

President Christie Inaguerated!

Feinstine announces retirement!

California Senate Polls:
Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom: 49%
Congressman Tom McClintock: 39%
Undecided: 12%

Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom: 54%
Congressman Darrell Issa: 30%
Undecided: 16%

Congressman Darrell Issa: 42%
Congressman Tom McClintock: 40%
Undecided: 20%

Congressman Paul Ryan announces run against Tammy Baldwin!

Wisconsin Poll:
Incumbent Senator Tammy Baldwin: 49%
Congressman Paul Ryan: 41%
Undecided: 10%

Primary:
Congressman Paul Ryan: 55%
Former Governor Scott Walker: 23%
Undecided: 22%

Bubblings in the market place, GM hemorraging

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #226 on: February 04, 2013, 07:47:38 PM »

Greg Abbott defeated 52-48 in the Senate after cumbersome confirmation hearing with Senator Schweitzer

"I will note vote for someone who outright views the law in a way that completely bends it and contorts it to his own viewing, and I'm glad my fellow Senators felt the same way about him."

Despite large Republican opposition, Secretary of State Jon Huntsman confirmed 64-34

Vice President Sandoval announces trail to Europe to speak to leaders

Christie chooses Mike DeWine for second Attorney General pick

McCaskill trailing almost all possible opponents, only leads Akin by 6

Missouri 2018 Poll:
Governor Peter Kinder: 52%
Incumbent Senator Claire McCaskill: 35%
Undecided: 13%

Former Governor Matt Blunt: 48%
Incumbent Senator Claire McCaskill: 41%
Undecided: 11%

Former Senator Roy Blunt: 44%
Incumbent Senator Claire McCaskill: 40%

Former Senator Jim Talent: 43%
Incumbent Senator Claire McCaskill: 40%
Undecided: 17%

Incumbent Senator Claire McCaskill: 45%
Former Congressman Todd Akin: 39%

Christie approvals taking a dip due to cabinet fights

Do you approve of the job President Christie has done?
Yes: 58%
No: 30%

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #227 on: February 04, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »

Great update!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #228 on: February 05, 2013, 09:33:47 PM »

President Christie pushes for debt commission, announces Treasury Secretary Daniels to head it!

"At 20 Trillion, the debt is far too massive for us to let it continue to bloat to new, cloudy levels. Therefore, I will be forming a commission that will look into the issue and, unless a more balanced, stronger approach is reached in congress, we will try to take to their advice. I announce the commission to be lead by my Treasury Secretary Mitch Daniels!"

DeWine sails through confirmation hearings, confirmed 96-2

Patriot Act repeal sees some odd support from Secretary of State Huntsman and Republican Senator Tim Scott

"I believe the time has come. America is safer now than it was over a decade ago and the Patriot Acts violation of freedom is no longer acceptable in a time of relative peace. I would recommend the President sign the bill coming through the House and Senate repealing the Patriot Act."

"I believe it is no longer feasible to restrict the 1st Amendment rights of our citizens in the way that the Patriot Act has and be acting as honest brokers of the constitution. I will vote with my colleagues on both sides of the isle in favor of a repeal."

Former Governor Bob McDonnell announces run against Senator Tim Kaine

Virginia Senate Polls:
Incumbent Senator Tim Kaine: 47%
Former Governor Bob McDonnell: 46%
Undecided: 7%

Do you approve of the job Senator Kaine has done?
Yes: 44%
No: 40%

Governor Amash in some trouble, but can survive

Michigan Polls:
Incumbent Governor Justin Amash: 45%
Congresswoman Gretchen Whitmer: 42%

Senator Debbie Stabenow: 50%
Incumbent Governor Justin Amash: 41%
Undecided: 9%

Incumbent Governor Justin Amash: 48%
Congressman Gary Peters: 38%
Undecided: 14%

Do you approve of the job Governor Amash has done?
Yes: 40%
No: 38%
Undecided: 22%

Republican Primary:
Incumbent Governor Justin Amash: 54%
Congressman Mike Rogers: 33%

Mixed economic news, GM still struggling, but unemployment down to 6.6%

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #229 on: February 07, 2013, 10:54:46 PM »

Senators/House members on debt commission announced!

Head of Commission:
Secretary of Treasury Mitch Daniels

Republican Side:
Senator Tom Cole of Oklahoma
Senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts
Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama
Senator Mike Crapo of Idaho
Congressman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin
Congressman Tom McClintock of California
Congressman James Lankford of Oklahoma
Congressman Mike Simpson of Idaho

Democrat Side:
Senator Brian Schweitzer of Montana
Senator Mark Warner of Virginia
Senator Bill Nelson of Florida
Senator Jack Reed of Rhode Island
Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur of Ohio
Congressman Lloyd Doggett of Texas
Congressman Tim Ryan of Ohio
Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici of Oregon

"I am happy, as an understudy, to be working with the biggest head honchos of the Senate in order to work out a deal. But let me be clear, I will not be coming out of that meeting voting for a bill that does not achieve balance through balance. I want a balanced budget with a balance of cuts and tax increases. If we don't achieve that, it will not receive my vote, because it does not truly spread the blame where blame is to be spread."

Is Schweitzer the frontrunner for Democrats in 2020? Polls so far say yes, in a very big way.

2020 Presidential Poll:
Senator Brian Schweitzer: 45%
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 12%
Former Presidential Candidate Deval Patrick: 8%
Governor Joe Sestak: 7%
Mayor Rahm Emanuel: 4%
Minority Leader Xavier Becerra: 4%
Governor Jim Matheson: 1%
Senator Adam Edelen: <1%
Undecided: 18%

2020 Not Schweitzer Poll:
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 20%
Governor Joe Sestak: 18%
Former Presidential Candidate Deval Patrick: 11%
Mayor Rahm Emanuel: 7%
Minority Leader Xavier Becerra: 6%
Governor Jim Matheson: 3%
Senator Adam Edelen: 2%
Undecided: 33%

2020 No Former Presidential Candidates or VPs:
Governor Joe Sestak: 26%
Minority Leader Xavier Becerra: 21%
Governor Jim Matheson: 6%
Senator Adam Edelen: 5%
Senator Janet Napolinato: 1%
Congressman Tim Ryan: 1%
Undecided: 40%

If the Democrats get Schweitzer to run, he's very formidable. If not, than another previous presidential candidate looks to take the nomination, particularly Governor Cuomo or even Patrick again. However, if they run through their presidents, the field gets kind of narrow: Only Sestak and Becerra have enough name recognition at the moment to even get a notice from the public. - PPP

President Christie says if Patriot Act repeal makes it to his desk, he'll sign it

"I will say this much: I am troubled a bit on a national security standpoint of a repeal at this point in time. However, these are the representatives of the people we are talking about, and i'm all about transparency and fairness, so should this bill reach my desk, i'll sign it Christopher J. Christie. I'm glad my Secretary of State has felt this a cause to fight for, I have some disagreements, but I'm willing to stand my ground if I see the support in the Senate as I've seen the support in the public for it."

Lindsey Graham, Kelly Ayotte plan to filibuster Patriot Act Repeal bill

Schumer might join them!

Tim Ryan announces run for Governor of Ohio

"I believe it is my time to try to change the state of Ohio from the mess that Governor Kasich has left it in. We don't think these policies work, and I want to be there with my Ohio citizens to change them. Thank you, and God Bless!"

Ohio Governor Race:
Congressman Tim Ryan: 50%
State Treasurer Josh Mandel: 38%

Congressman Tim Ryan: 45%
Secretary of State Jon Husted: 40%
Undecided: 15%

Congressman Tim Ryan: 48%
Lieutenant Governor Mary Taylor: 44%
Undecided: 8%

Republican Primary:
Lieutenant Governor Mary Taylor: 38%
State Treasurer Josh Mandel: 35%
Secretary of State Jon Husted: 12%
Undecided: 15%

Republican Primary w/o Husted:
Lieutenant Governor Mary Taylor: 42%
State Treasurer Josh Mandel: 41%

bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #230 on: February 08, 2013, 08:56:44 AM »

Wow, I don't like Christie much IRL, but this TL I would vote for him over Schweitzer if he signs a repeal of the Patriot Act. Great update.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »

Wow, I don't like Christie much IRL, but this TL I would vote for him over Schweitzer if he signs a repeal of the Patriot Act. Great update.

Christie seems like the pragmatic type on a lot of issues, if it weren't for the dumb New Jersey legislature pushing through a referenda on gay marriage than they would have gay marriage because he would respect the will of the voters. Similarly, I think in this TL there has been an overwhelming call for the acts repeal, by the general public, by secretary of state Huntsman, and by Tim Scott, whose announcement on this issue seems strange. I think if that were the call, even though I think Christie is pro-wiretap, I think he would sacrifice his own views on the issue for it.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2013, 12:44:55 PM »

Christie seems like the pragmatic type on a lot of issues, if it weren't for the dumb New Jersey legislature pushing through a referenda on gay marriage than they would have gay marriage because he would respect the will of the voters. Similarly, I think in this TL there has been an overwhelming call for the acts repeal, by the general public, by secretary of state Huntsman, and by Tim Scott, whose announcement on this issue seems strange. I think if that were the call, even though I think Christie is pro-wiretap, I think he would sacrifice his own views on the issue for it.

I never really thought of Christie as a pragmatist, but rather a guy who sticks to his lines in the sand and vigorously attacks anyone who disagrees. The gay marriage referendum was originally thought up by Christie when he vetoed the signing of gay marriage legislation by the NJ legislature.

I always thought Republicans should take the wheel on repealing this anyways, because they're supposedly the party of not letting the government infringe on people's rights.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2013, 01:47:36 AM »

Patriot Act Repeal makes it through the House with bi-partisan support!

"I know the other two leaders in GOP leadership are in disagreement with me, but I'll say this: I believe this repeal will give more freedom to people, and that is truly a conservative belief."

"This is the first step in a long process, but its the most important step of all, let's hope the Senate views this bill he same way we do."

Secretary of Defense Mattis stands undecided on repeal

"Look, I like freedom, but we need to think clearly about this, including how this will effect our safety and security. That's why I'm not going to be as forward as the Secretary of State has been."

Christie and the Senate having issues, bills slow due to high amount of vetoes

"I will not be signing many bills if congress keeps sending me bills that are not worth my attention. Sorry! Not gonna do it!"

Economy growth slowing, stuck at 6.5%, Christie approval dives due to lackluster economy and Senate relations

Yes: 45%
No: 46%

If the election were held today, who would you vote for?
Senator Brian Schweitzer: 48%
President Chris Christie: 44%

Governor Joe Sestak: 46%
President Chris Christie: 45%

President Chris Christie: 43%
Minority Leader Xavier Beccerra: 40%

Governor Andrew Cuomo: 45%
President Chris Christie: 42%

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #234 on: March 02, 2013, 06:02:13 PM »

Midterms 2018

Yes: 42%
No: 51%
Not Sure: 7%

Strongly approve: 10%
Somewhat approve: 32%
Somewhat Disapprove: 13%
Strongly Disapprove: 38%
Not Sure: 7%

Favorable: 38%
Unfavorable: 58%
Undecided: 4%

After a hectic first term, President Christie finds himself with fairly low approval ratings. He's at 42% Approval among the voters, with favorable even lower. While their have been some big accomplishments, there have also been some big failures on part of the administration (in spite of creating a budget that approaches balance, the economy holds steady at around 6.9-7.1% unemployment.) Lowering deficits have not changed the economic outlook too much, and President Christie's relationship with the Senate and the House have been bitter at best, with both Republicans and Democrats increasingly frustrated with his somewhat frequent use of the veto. He trails Senator Schweitzer by 10, who looks like the forgone front-runner in the Democratic party for the nomination, but actually, Christie trails everyone in the Democratic nomination field except for the ones with below 20% name recognition. A lot can change in two years, but right now, the President looks toast and he could even fall to a Republican primary.

Senate:

California:
With Diane Feinstein retiring, Gavin Newsom came up next in line. Fortunately for him, Darrell Issa defeated Tom McClintock in a primary, which allowed Newsom to take an easier win.

Republican Primary:
Congressman Darrell Issa: 52%
Congressman Tom McClintock: 45%
Others: 3%

General Election:
Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom: 59%
Congressman Darrell Issa: 41%

Democratic Hold

Florida:
Senator Bill Nelson announced his retirement, which, from the get go, gave Republicans some what an upper hand for the pickup. Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi ran and won the Republican primary, and faced off against Governor Alex Sink, who did not run for re-election. It was a hard fought race, one which Sink almost lost a couple of times due to some infamous gaffes, but the national trend pulled Sink ahead in the very end.

General Election:
Governor Alex Sink: 49%
Attorney General Pam Bondi: 48%

Democratic Hold

Indiana:
Senator Joe Donnelly was facing insurmontable odds: a very popular Governor in Mike Pence deciding to run, Donelly himself being very unpopular, and the mood of the state ultimately went to replacing Senator Donnelly by a wide margin (after he almost lost in a primary).

Democratic Primary:
Incumbent Senator Joe Donnelly: 48%
Congressman John Gregg: 44%
Others: 8%

General Election:
Governor Mike Pence: 58%
Incumbent Senator Joe Donnelly: 39%

Republican Pick-Up

Missouri:
Senator Claire McCaskill was doomed from the start, facing low approval ratings and trailing almost all possible opponents. When Matt Blunt picked up the mantle and ran after his weak term as Governor, he flopped and turned the race into a tight one. As soon as McCaskill's approvals dipped further as her debate performances floundered, however, Blunt managed to pull ahead again and won very narrowly.

General Election:
Former Governor Matt Blunt: 48%
Incumbent Senator Claire McCaskill: 47%
Others: 5%

Republican Pick-Up

Nevada:
Dean Heller, consistent with his moderate stances, had fairly moderate approvals and disapprovals, making him somewhat weak. He ran against Rory Reid, who used his fathers campaign mechanisms to build his numbers to the point where, near the end of the election, he was leading Heller narrowly. However, the voters of Nevada came home at the end and Heller managed to win another term.

General Election:
Incumbent Senator Dean Heller: 49%
Attorney General Rory Reid: 45%
None of the Above: 3%

Republican Hold

Virginia:
In Virginia, Tim Kaine ran for re-election, and ran a tough campaign against former Governor Bob McDonnell, who had high favorables and approvals from his Governorship that Kaine didn't have as a Senator. However, incumbency helps, and Kaine barely managed to hold on.

General Election:
Incumbent Senator Tim Kaine: 51%
Former Governor Bob McDonnell: 48%

Democratic Hold

Overall:
2 Republican Pick-ups

In spite of Christie's heavy unpopularity, his coattails were, luckily, not dragging too hard on Republicans in the Senate. In the House, however, Republicans lost in a big way. Now we have...

Speaker of the House Xavier Becerra

Next Up: Governors in 2018!

Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #235 on: March 03, 2013, 09:22:43 AM »

In spite of Christie's heavy unpopularity, his coattails were, luckily, not dragging too hard on Republicans in the Senate. In the House, however, Republicans lost in a big way. Now we have...

Speaker of the House Xavier Becerra

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Well at least Boehner isn't there anymore....
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #236 on: March 03, 2013, 10:25:59 PM »

Governors Races:

Virginia:
Governor Bill Bolling, an independent, has approval ratings of around 48%. While that is fairly strong, polls show he loses the nomination if he ran for either party, so he continues to stand as an independent as Virginia allows Governors to run consecutive terms. He faces a tougher challenge from Republicans than from Democrats when Republicans nominate Robert Hurt, a conservative who has kept a somewhat swing district very well. However, Bolling won in the end.

General Election:
Incumbent Governor Bill Bolling (I): 40%
Congressman Robert Hurt (R): 35%
State Senator Brian Moran (D): 20%
Others: 5%

Independent Hold!

New Jersey:
In the state of New Jersey, the last year of Christie's Governorship was taken by Kim Guadagno, who had governed even more moderately than Christie. She ran for election to a full term, but lost to State Senator Steve Lonegan, who went on to lose the general election badly to Rob Andrews.

Republican Primary:
State Senator Steve Lonegan: 60%
Incumbent Governor Kim Guadagno: 38%
Others: 2%

General Election:
Congressman Rob Andrews: 58%
State Senator Steve Lonegan: 38%
Others: 4%

Democrat Gain!

2018:

Colorado:

In Colorado, Governor Hickenlooper did not run again due to term-limits, and in his place ran Andrew Romanoff, popular Congressman in Colorado. The mood of the election really pushed him to the forefront, allowing him to defeat a united Republican electorate that had nominated... Tom Tancredo.

General Election:
Congressman Andrew Romanoff: 56%
Former Congressman Tom Tancredo: 38%
Others: 6%

Democratic Hold

Hawaii:
In most states, being an outspoken supporter of the President would hurt you in a Republican primary. Nevertheless, Governor Djou was fairly popular, and managed an upset against increasingly unpopular congresswoman Colleen Hanabusa.

General Election:
Incumbent Governor Charles Djou: 50%
Congresswoman Colleen Hanabusa: 48%

Republican Hold

Michigan:
Governor Justin Amash has been incredibly divisive, but has gained some Democrat support due to some socially moderate positions. Nevertheless, Republicans were pleased with his conservative economic views and he won a primary against Mike Rogers fairly easily, and held on against a tough challenge from Gretchen Whitmer.

Republican Primary:
Incumbent Governor Justin Amash: 65%
Congressman Mike Rogers: 33%

General Election:
Incumbent Governor Justin Amash: 48%
Congresswoman Gretchen Whitmer: 46%
Others: 6%

Republican Hold

Iowa:
Terry Branstad did not run for re-election, allowing Democrats to nominate Former Governor Chet Culver, who had gained back some of his reputation. Republicans faced a brutal primary between Tom Latham and Bob Vander Plaats, with Vander Plaats coming out barely ahead due to Latham's too vocal approval of the President. This caused Culver to win a ten point victory.

Republican Primary:
Conservative Activist Bob Vander Plaats: 50.2%
Congressman Tom Latham: 49.8%

General Election:
Former Governor Chet Culver: 54%
Conservative Activist Bob Vander Plaats: 44%

Democratic Gain

Massachusetts:
In Massachussets, Charlie Baker faced low approval ratings (some showing him at even dipping below 35%) and difficult situations. Instead of Romney-ing out, he ran for re-election and faced the voters. The Democrats nominated Congressman Mike Capuano, who soundly defeated the incumbent Governor by 8 points.

General Election:
Congressman Mike Capuano: 53%
Incumbent Governor Charlie Baker: 45%

Democratic Gain

Nevada:
With Governor Brian Sandoval becoming the Vice President and Lieutenant Governor Brian Krolicki became Senator of Nevada, a Democrat managed to take the Governors seat with Ross Miller, the Secretary of State, becoming Nevada's Governor. He was fairly unknown and faced a primary challenge from disgraced Former Congresswoman Shelley Berkley. Fortunately, Miller came out ahead of Berkley in spite of early polls showing him behind her by over 30 points (albeit, the lead was built mostly out of name recognition). Miller came and continued to star by upsetting a surprising nominee in Moderate Republican Jon Porter, who had won a house seat in 2016 by defeating Mark Amodei in a primary.

Democratic Primary:
Incumbent Governor Ross Miller: 54%
Former Congresswoman Shelley Berkley: 42%
None of the Above: 3%
Others: 1%

General Election:
Incumbent Governor Ross Miller: 49%
Congressman Jon Porter: 47%
None of the Above: 2%

Democratic Gain/Hold

South Carolina:
Governor Sheheen held fairly steady with fairly middling approval ratings, showing that he would probably face a much tougher Republican challenge than the one he received from the unpopular former Governor Nikki Haley. Congressman Mick Mulvaney ran unopposed in a race that was continually contentious and sometimes fairly aggressive, but the national trends for Governors races pushed Sheheen over the top.

General Election:
Incumbent Governor Vincent Sheheen: 51%
Congressman Mick Mulvaney: 47%

Democratic Hold

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #237 on: March 03, 2013, 10:46:17 PM »

Now on to the Democratic Primary........ and maybe Republican Primary?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: March 04, 2013, 12:36:33 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2013, 03:52:05 PM by Wisard Ekstraordinær Maxwell »

Shake Em Up Shake Em Up Shake Em Up Shake Em!

Senator Brian Schweitzer, obvious front-runner for the Democratic Nomination, announces run!

"This president keeps on tip toein to his special interests and tip toein to the Republicans and now he tries to tip toe to the American people and tell them that he's on their side, we saw you you aren't going to get away Mr. Christie! I am running for President as a Democrat and when I become President things will go back on track from this awful stagnation from this awful President!"

2020 Presidential Poll w/o Senator Booker:
Senator Brian Schweitzer: 42%
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 14%
Governor Joe Sestak: 10%
Governor Tim Ryan: 6%
Senator Tim Kaine: 5%
Governor Jim Matheson: 3%
Governor Lisa Madigan: 2%
Senator Adam Edelen: 1%

2020 Presidential Poll w/ Senator Booker:
Senator Brian Schweitzer: 37%
Senator Cory Booker: 22%
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 10%
Governor Joe Sestak: 8%
Governor Tim Ryan: 5%
Senator Tim Kaine: 4%
Governor Jim Matheson: 2%

Senator Schweitzer has been a standard bearer for the last four years of Democratic opposition to the President, and he's been leading in the early polling for quite some time, with leads as big as 40 points. With that kind of lead, many have backed out of the race, like Rahm Emanuel, who won Missouri in the last cycle, and former nominee Deval Patrick, who shocked the nation when he came from the lower tier of the pack to win the nomination.

One person who hasn't been scared and has thought about a run, though, is New Jersey Senator Cory Booker, who has also shown to be pretty critical of President Christie, even as a fellow Jerseyite. And polls have shown Mr. Booker to be the only person who stands in the way of a complete Schweitzer 50 state blow-out.  It's a matter of whether he will enter the race or not, as some in New Jersey say he has a lot of considerations before he would enter such a race. Both Schweitzer and Booker are first term Senators and both would have to exit their Senate seats to run, so it may not be so likely that both run, but both are fairly ambitious, so one could see a battle between the two rise.

Christie states: I will not abandon this Presidency

"It's a tough job and I would like to Senator Schweitzer try it for all that bluster he's been putting up for the public, but I think he would fall to it. I've been doing everything I can and all he does is stand around and say no. Can't you take yes for an answer? I will not abandon the Presidency that the voters put up to and I feel the voters will put me up to again because, in spite of my flaws, I can handle my job."

Approval Rating:
Approve: 47%
Disapprove: 46%

Among Democrats:
Approve: 25%
Disapprove: 69%
Undecided: 6%

Among Republicans:
Approve: 62%
Disapprove: 33%
Undecided: 5%

Among Independents:
Approve: 53%
Disapprove: 37%

Christies approval fell in December of 2018 to around 32%, biting the dust hard, and dipping below 50 with Republicans. However, his numbers have improved drastically since then, but he's still in pretty meh shape, with Independents really holding his numbers up from falling down by the waist-side. In spite of accomplishments on civil liberties and fiscal policy, there have been momentous arguments and fights over those issues and just about everything else, which has made Christie more personally unpopular than he is shown in his approval ratings, leaving him especially vulnerable in some cases. However, if improvement goes the way it continues to go, he might get re-elected.

Cory Booker: A waiting game

Some are saying only a fellow New Jerseyite can give Christie the wallow that Democrats think the President deserves. Will Booker run? All indications say yes, but much like his Senate run in 2014, he does it in a very nimble and yet so not very nimble way. It seems clear he'll run, once again making Governor Andrew Cuomo, a former front-runner for the Democratic nomination, even more meaningless in the Democratic electorate.

Very Early Endorsement: Governor Feingold on the Schweitzer Train!

"Schweitzer is a tried and true progressive who has fought in the Senate harder than anyone I've seen. We NEED this man to go to the Presidency and be our champion!"

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #239 on: March 04, 2013, 08:05:05 AM »

Good thing is that Christie stopped this absurd polarization Smiley I may support him over Schweitzer, but I like them both.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: March 04, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »

Hopefully Booker beats Schweitzer in the primary and Christie in the GE.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: March 04, 2013, 01:43:23 PM »

What a goofball!

Conservatives on the look out for a candidate, only Louie Gohmert looking interested

"I will make my intentions for a Presidential run known later, when everything is all sorted, but I am definitely looking into it."

Republican Presidential Primary Poll:
Incumbent President Chris Christie: 73%
Congressman Louie Gohmert: 15%

Conservatives have been enraged throughout President Chris Christie's term in office. However, the conservatives haven't really been able to muster any strength against the incumbent as of late, with only Louie Gohmert showing any interest. If the election were held today, Gohmert would be crushed, but some other conservatives poll better, but still get crushed due to President Christie's improving approval with Republicans and with the public overall.

Senator Ron Kind thinking about entering, Governor Tim Ryan out, endorses Schweitzer

Ron Kind - "The Presidency certainly sounds intriguing, and certainly I don't want to see Senator Schweitzer all out there by himself. I am certainly thinking about making a go of it."

Tim Ryan - "Senator Schweitzer has been a strong fighter and I believe his presence in the White House would be terrific."

Ryan is looking to continue Governorning the state of Ohio, in spite of a lot of favorable numbers coming his way, gaining 5% of the vote in spite of very low name recognition, combined with very high approvals and some big names looking for him to enter the race. He may be looking towards 2024 assuming Schweitzer or someone else loses.

Kind is kind of a surprise, considering he went into the Senate after beating unpopular incumbent Ron Johnson massively, and his re-election numbers don't look especially terrific. However, being from the swing state of Wisconsin help, and his neighboring of Iowa really helps him in terms of positioning, but with a lot of the limelight looking to Schweitzer-Booker, he might not get a chance to shine.

Booker in!

"I will run for the Presidency because I believe that President Christie has gone too far in so many ways. Everywhere he goes he makes conflict. I believe we need to bring people together and get things back to place where things are orderly in Washington!"

2020 Democratic Presidential Primary Poll:
Senator Brian Schweitzer: 35%
Senator Cory Booker: 23%
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 10%
Senator Tim Kaine: 6%
Senator Ron Kind: 3%

With Cory Booker in the race, Schweitzer becomes not so inevitable. The rest of the pack trails, with Cuomo the only other candidate hitting double digits, and that's mainly off name recognition. Ron Kind starts on the lower end of the totem poll, ahead of Matheson, Madigan, and Edelen, but behind Former DNC chair Tim Kaine, who First Term Governor Tim Ryan was ahead of. Schweitzer's 15 point lead over Booker has shrunk to a 12 point one, and if the trend continues, it looks like it'll be Booker vs. Schweitzer in the end game for the nomination.

Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #242 on: March 04, 2013, 04:15:06 PM »

Very good, I hope Schweitzer gets the nomination!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #243 on: March 04, 2013, 04:43:55 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2013, 06:44:22 PM by Wisard Ekstraordinær Maxwell »

And So It Begins...

Field solidifies: Cuomo and Kaine in!

"If at first you don't succeed... Try try try again my friends, and since I know you well, I will be making my intentions clear that I will be running for President!"

"It's been a long time since a Virginian has been in the White House, why not change that? Virginia is a beacon where good leadership comes from, and as such, I will be running for President because I believe that my experiences in Virginia can be learned in Washington."

Senator Brian Schweitzer: 33%
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 12%
Governor Joe Sestak: 9%
Senator Tim Kaine: 7%

The democratic field started with early announcement from smaller candidates, like Matheson, Madigan, and Edelen, with an exception for Joe Sestak, who has been making waves for a while as a progressive leader. Some thought Xavier Becerra would make a run for it, but as Speaker of the House, he has rejected the notion, saying that the speakership is much more favorable to him. And now two somewhat important announcements, one from Governor of New York and former front-runner for the 2016 nomination Andrew Cuomo, and the other from Senator and Former Governor of Virginia Tim Kaine. They both seem like somewhat minor candidates in comparison to the top two, but they could make a run of it if they shed their establishment Democrat skin. Unfortunately for Kaine, that skin is stuck to him, so many are not looking at his candidacy favorably.

Iowa Polls:
Senator Brian Schweitzer: 40%
Governor Joe Sestak: 15%
Senator Cory Booker: 14%
Senator Ron Kind: 6%
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 6%
Senator Tim Kaine: 3%
Governor Lisa Madigan: 3%
Undecided: 11%

New Hampshire Polls:
Senator Brian Schweitzer: 28%
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 20%
Governor Lisa Madigan: 1%

South Carolina Polls:
Senator Brian Schweitzer: 30%
Senator Cory Booker: 19%
Senator Tim Kaine: 15%
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 9%
Senator Adam Edelen: 4%
Senator Ron Kind: 2%
Governor Lisa Madigan: <1%
Governor Jim Matheson: <1%
Undecided: 14%

With the race months away, cracks in Schweitzers armor can be seen: While his lead in Iowa is huge, Governor Joe Sestak, a seeming dark horse, is in second place, and there is possibility he could mobilize his rural supporters to push him to victory in that state and cause a huge upset. Other than that, Booker looks at a possible win in New Hampshire, where he only trails Schweitzer by 5. Tim Kaine isn't performing notably well in South Carolina, but his numbers are decent, and the same could be said for Adam Edelen in South Carolina, though he seems like the darkest of dark horses right now, polling below 1% in most states.

Sestak announces Iowa tour

"Like Barack Obama in 2008, I believe that Iowa will pick our Presidential nominee, so I will make a special push in the state. Therefore, I am announcing a bus tour throughout the state of Iowa in order to get our message of change and peace out."

Madigan not discouraged, continues to build campaign and seek Illinois endorsements

"What we need is a true leader and I believe that that is the leadership I have shown in the state of Illinois."

Louie Gohmert announces presidential run against President Christie

"It's time we had a real conservative in the White House!"

Republican Presidential Primary Poll:
Incumbent President Chris Christie: 77%
Congressman Louie Gohmert: 13%

Yeah... donors aren't especially excited by a Gohmert run, and it looks like Christie will get a free pass unless conservatives look harder and really find a nominee who will stick it to the President, but so far, Christie looks renominated and many Republicans are already urging each other to stay the course and renominate Christie for fear of Gohmert even getting close to the Presidency.

President Chris Christie announces nationwide tour!

"It's time for me to remind everyone of all the good things I've done as President and tell them that what we need is a new congress, not a new President. A congress that will work across the aisle and get things done. I've been trying to push them to that direction and all I get is snark and attitude. That's not a congress we want. Ironically, the Democratic front-runner is all too much of that mentality personified. What we need is a leader, and I've been that and I will continue to do that."

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: March 05, 2013, 06:06:36 PM »

Fumbling Montanan!

Schweitzer bumbles in the first debate!

After weeks and weeks of hype about how Schweitzer's performance was going to clear the field among many insiders in the Schweitzer campaign, it turns out those staffers may have been sarcastic when Senator Schweitzer came out sounding rather dumbfounded by the issues of the time. Instead, who came out on top of things wasn't Cory Booker, who, despite his frontrunner presence and his media hype, seemed to blend to the background better than he stood out, nor was it Andrew Cuomo, who held his own but struggled on foreign policy, it was Governor Joe Sestak. Sestak combated many of the claims that Schweitzer attempted to throw out at him and Sestak came out ahead. Another one of the lower tier candidates who came on strong: Adam Edelen. The young kentuckian knew his facts on many pressing issues, including foreign policy, which many of the top tier candidates fell flat on. Overall, it was a night that shook up the race intensely.

Senator Brian Schweitzer: 27%
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 14%
Governor Joe Sestak: 12%
Senator Tim Kaine: 8%
Senator Adam Edelen: 3%

Governor Cuomo new tax plan has Democrats raging

Do you like Governor Cuomo's Tax initative in New York?
Yes: 14%
No: 44%
Not Sure: 42%

Governor Cuomo has been moving to the left on many issues since he's declared running, but one of the things he's been attempting to keep under wraps is his tax cutting plan that would cut taxes for New Yorkers by a large amount while raising the gas tax and the sales tax, which has liberal Democrats throwing a fit. Look for a drop in his poll numbers some, but really, most of Cuomo's support hasn't come from liberal Democrats, so it won't hurt him too bad, but it does hurt his long term elect-ability with Democrats.

After debate, huge boost in Iowa for Governor Sestak!

"Senator Schweitzer needs to get real on a lot of these issues, because he's been stuck in Washington for the last couple of years while I've been Governing my state with a sense of reality, and I hope that I can bring that sense of reality to Washington, something Senator Schweitzer seems to have lost touch of."

Iowa Polls:
Senator Brian Schweitzer: 33%
Governor Joe Sestak: 24%
Senator Cory Booker: 13%
Senator Ron Kind: 6%
Senator Tim Kaine: 3%
Governor Lisa Madigan: 3%

Governor Matheson: Irrelevant? Blue Dog keeps barking

"We need a Democratic leader who understands the need to spend less but at the same time do more. My campaign is based on something very simple: all politics is local. Let's take it to the states, because the states know what is efficient or not efficient. I believe Government can help, but I also believe people need a Government that is realiable and accountable and that's what I have done in Utah!"

Nevada Poll Numbers:
Senator Brian Schweitzer: 42%
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 22%
Senator Cory Booker: 8%
Governor Joe Sestak: 6%
Governor Jim Matheson: 4%
Governor Tim Kaine: 3%

The ever continuing irrelevance of the Blue Dog Democrat shows in Governor Jim Matheson. While he managed the clench re-election by fair margins in a state where Utahans voted 70-30 for a Republican for President, he still remains an outsider in these primaries. Matheson promotes the fact he's never had to raise taxes in order to get a budget to balance in the Democratic debate, which was overshadowed by bigger issues of the day where Matheson stands to disagree with his democratic colleagues. He seems out of the loop in a primary where it seems the more liberal the better. Yet, he still fights on, blaring his accomplishments as Governor through a loud speaker, talking about being #1 in job creation in the country, and centering his campaign around a later early state: Nevada. Polls show him higher than in many other states in Nevada, but he still only places a very distant fifth, behind Sestak, Booker, Cuomo, and Schweitzer. The main question his candidacy draws is: can a Blue Dog win? It's only a matter of time before we find out...

Conservatives keep on looking... Senator Pence maybe?

"I am not going to rule out a Presidential run, but I am not going to make a comment on how likely that is."

Republican Presidential Primary Poll w/o Pence:
Incumbent President Chris Christie: 78%
Congressman Louie Gohmert: 14%

Republican Presidential Primary Poll w/ Pence:
Incumbent President Chris Christie: 49%
Senator Mike Pence: 36%
Congressman Louie Gohmert: 5%

Polls are now showing that Mike Pence, while losing to the President, shows him nipping on President Christie's heels. This is going to make President Christie's re-election very challenging, and especially more challenging for Louie Gohmert to even have a shot. Pence has made many criticisms of this Presidential administration and if he ran he would unite conservatives from all walks of life against the more moderate Republican, the only question is, will he do it?

Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #245 on: March 05, 2013, 07:20:02 PM »

I think this is due for a title change

"Things Get Nuts in 2016 2020"

Not sure who to back yet, but I like Booker. #CuNOmo
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #246 on: March 05, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »

I think Things Get Nuttier in 2020 would do just fine. Tongue
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #247 on: March 05, 2013, 07:29:42 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2013, 07:31:13 PM by Northeast Speaker and Lt. Governor Spenstar »

I think Things Get Nuttier in 2020 would do just fine. Tongue

Awww yeah!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #248 on: March 05, 2013, 11:55:49 PM »

Monied interests begging for Pence

Sheldon Adelson on Mike Pence - "He's good"

"I'm getting rather tired of this Christie guy, but I'm liking the way Mike Pence ran Indiana."

Conservative monied forces are troubled: There's no way that they'd back Louie Gohmert. Surely there will be another candidate to enter the race. Sure enough, Mike Pence has been getting hype as the anti-Christie of the Republicans, and that brings a smile to a lot of big name donors in the Republican party. Pence right now polls about 15 points behind Christie: not too bad considering Christie's an incumbent. The Koch Brothers have also been rearing their eyes to Pence, but not entirely sure if backing a primary bid would be worth it. No donor, for sure, is as interested as Sheldon Adelson is right now.

Christie approvals hit 50, continually improvement after foreign policy success in dealing with Cuba

Approval Rating:
Approve: 50%
Disapprove: 44%
Undecided: 6%

Among Democrats:
Approve: 30%
Disapprove: 65%

Among Republicans:
Approve: 63%
Disapprove: 32%

Among Independents:
Approve: 57%
Disapprove: 34%

After weeks of determining whether or not Congress would pass the repeal of the Cuba embargo, congress passed it in spite of a Lindsey Graham filibuster. Christie stood clear on it, which is why his approvals improved less with Republicans than Democrats, but his position was get this to my desk as soon as possible. He even made a speech making it clear that congress needs to repeal the Cuba embargo to continue building trade alliances all across the nation. Secretary of State Jon Huntsman met with the first real President of Cuba to bury the hatchet. While some issues stirred anger with the public, the Christie administration held some of the Obama administration policies steady but also managed to
keep a firm handle on spending in the department, gaining some enemies on the Republican side but ultimately a united solidarity of support overall on foreign policy.

Cuomo support takes a dip after negative PAC hits him hard on fiscal issues

Senator Brian Schweitzer: 26%
Senator Cory Booker: 24%
Governor Joe Sestak: 14%
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 9%
Senator Tim Kaine: 9%
Senator Adam Edelen: 4%

The Cuomo campaign looked like it was dead from the start when he decided to run, considering none of the spotlight was pointing towards his candidacy. This bad fortune continues when a new PAC ad associated with Brian Schweitzer for President hit him HARD on fiscal issues in New York. Cuomo's down five points in a week due to this ad and the liberal crowd going to war with another Cuomo candidacy, and it looks like he might be down and out already! What a shocking head for a candidate with such possibility.

Booker only two points away nationally, six points ahead in NH

"It's go time folks! We are making our way to the top. In a matter of weeks we were double digits behind Senator Schweitzer, now we are breathing down his neck! This has been a great campaign I can feel it!"

New Hampshire Polls:
Senator Cory Booker: 30%
Senator Brian Schweitzer: 24%
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 15%
Governor Joe Sestak: 11%

Edelen closing in on double digits in South Carolina

South Carolina Polls:
Senator Brian Schweitzer: 26%
Senator Tim Kaine: 15%
Senator Adam Edelen: 9%
Senator Ron Kind: 2%

This race is looking like a train wreck right now, but you can see some trends going on: Former big candidates, like Schweitzer and Cuomo, are heading on their way out while newer faces like Adam Edelen and Joe Sestak are bolting closer to the front of the pack.

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #249 on: March 06, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »

Sestak!!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to: