Any of you served as a precinct delegate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:37:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Any of you served as a precinct delegate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any of you served as a precinct delegate?  (Read 1204 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »

I am thinking about, if possible, running for GOP precinct delegate for my precinct in 2014.  I wouldn't want to actually serve in a governmental office, but I might like to do this to be involved in the party leadership.  Have any of you served as precinct delegates, and if so, how was it?  Please let me know.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 08:21:49 PM »

I wanted to run for precinct delegate this year but couldn't do it legally do to "rules" concerning my age. Godspeed in your quest. I did, as you can see, however serve as an Elections Inspector, and made a tidy bundle off it too.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »

I was an uncommitted precinct delegate to the 1988 Lexington County Democratic Convention.  It was such a disorganized mess, I left before it was over because I truly needed to get my sleep and never bothered with party politics since.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:48:10 PM »

I was an uncommitted precinct delegate to the 1988 Lexington County Democratic Convention.  It was such a disorganized mess, I left before it was over because I truly needed to get my sleep and never bothered with party politics since.

"The Life of a True Federalist", one man's journey to the savage heart of American politics, by Ernest*.

*That is your name right? I think I've heard of you referred to as Ernest.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 01:11:40 AM »

Yup, and it's my permanent username here as you can see above my avatar.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 01:59:02 AM »

I have since 2008.  I'd encourage you to ask your county committee to put you on if there's an open spot for your precinct.  They can do so at your county convention in January (at the end of the meeting, so you won't be able to vote in January, but you can still be active.  If you go to state convention in January/February, let me know... we should meet up.  Maybe with Cathcon too).
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 02:26:07 AM »

I'm running for county delegate to the state convention in 2014. It's actually a contested election.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 04:20:26 AM »

I was elected as one at the presidential caucuses back in February, by virtue of being one of the four willing people to fill the four available slots.  I never actually 'served', however, or attended the county caucus, because there was no way in hell I was going to donate $40 to the Republican Party, and furthermore how the hell would I explain why I was requesting the day off work unless I lied?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:07:32 AM »

I have since 2008.  I'd encourage you to ask your county committee to put you on if there's an open spot for your precinct.  They can do so at your county convention in January (at the end of the meeting, so you won't be able to vote in January, but you can still be active.  If you go to state convention in January/February, let me know... we should meet up.  Maybe with Cathcon too).
Thanks Inks!  I was thinking about actually running in 2014, but I will have to think about that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 08:08:02 AM »

Thanks Inks!  I was thinking about actually running in 2014, but I will have to think about that.

What county are you in?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2012, 04:39:06 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

I have since 2008.  I'd encourage you to ask your county committee to put you on if there's an open spot for your precinct.  They can do so at your county convention in January (at the end of the meeting, so you won't be able to vote in January, but you can still be active.  If you go to state convention in January/February, let me know... we should meet up.  Maybe with Cathcon too).
Thanks Inks!  I was thinking about actually running in 2014, but I will have to think about that.

What county are you in?
Saginaw; there weren't any candidates running from my precint in the GOP primary back in August.  (My aunt, a formerly very liberal Democrat turned Republican-leaning Independent, said she considered writing me in but didn't know about the time requirements since my schedule is very busy).  What would happen then, and how would they put me on?  If not, I'll just wait until 2014.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »

I'm guessing this is Michigan's name for the elected, partisan office that is in charge of doing party business within a precinct, right?  I think a lot of people are assuming you mean a caucus delegate.  Most states call what you're describing something else; here it's "Precinct Committee Officer."
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 09:00:46 PM »

I'm guessing this is Michigan's name for the elected, partisan office that is in charge of doing party business within a precinct, right?  I think a lot of people are assuming you mean a caucus delegate.  Most states call what you're describing something else; here it's "Precinct Committee Officer."
I mean delegates, like at the county and state party conventions.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 01:29:12 AM »

If you were made a precinct delegate, you could vote at your county convention, where you could try to run for a spot as delegate to state convention.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 01:30:27 AM »

Not yet, but in 2016, i will.  I'll even try to be national delegate.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »

Inks: how would I go about trying to become one?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »

Inks: how would I go about trying to become one?

Contact your county chair.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »

Thanks!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 10:58:51 PM »

I mean delegates, like at the county and state party conventions.

The office and roles vary quite a bit from state to state. In IL there is a precinct committeeman elected (except in Cook) during the general primary. The elected committeemen also may serve as delegates to the county and state conventions with a weighted voted equal to the number of ballots cast for their party at the preceding primary. They also may meet to fill vacancies, though for multi-county jurisdictions this function goes to the county chairs elected at the county conventions. Cook county elects committeemen by ward and township rather than by precinct, but otherwise they function in a similar fashion.

It's an excellent way to meet your political leaders and have an impact on elections.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 09:54:46 PM »

No, although I was reccomended for one, had to turn it down due to my work schedule though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies