could/can genetics be toyed with to make the population more liberal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:55:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  could/can genetics be toyed with to make the population more liberal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: could/can genetics be toyed with to make the population more liberal?  (Read 1770 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2012, 12:11:29 AM »

i've always wondered what makes Vermont whites so much more liberal then the rest of the white population elsewhere. Is it possible to take a stereotypical white in Tennessee or Oklahoma and tinker with the genes to make them behave like Vermont whites (without of course telling them what the intent is)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:15:28 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2012, 12:50:04 AM by dead0man »

You want to use Bond Villain tactics to get people to vote the way you want them to?  And Republicans are the evil ones?  I'm confused.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:18:41 AM »

what is this i don't even
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 12:23:14 AM »

Assuming we understood genetics better and had the tools with which to manipulate individual sequences of DNA, we could do much more interesting things than influence voting patterns.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 12:24:07 AM »

I remember seeing an article in the mid-2000s that said conservatives had a higher birth rate than progressives. The tax system was essentially paying conservatives to have kids.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 12:26:41 AM »

wtf am i reading
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »

Assuming we understood genetics better and had the tools with which to manipulate individual sequences of DNA, we could do much more interesting things than influence voting patterns.

well I'm worried that white liberals are in the process of being extinct and that the foaming at the mouth types will soon outnumber them greater than 2:1. So its really psychology. How do you turn a foaming at the mouth type into the type of person who lives in western Massachusetts or Vermont?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 12:28:03 AM »

well I'm worried that white liberals are in the process of being extinct and that the foaming at the mouth types will soon outnumber them greater than 2:1.

That's why the government needs to stop paying conservatives to have kids.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:30:30 AM »

well I'm worried that white liberals are in the process of being extinct and that the foaming at the mouth types will soon outnumber them greater than 2:1. So its really psychology. How do you turn a foaming at the mouth type into the type of person who lives in western Massachusetts or Vermont?
Have you tried the power of persuasion? Much cheaper, fewer ethical concerns, and doesn't require as of yet sophisticated and unavailable technology.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 12:31:33 AM »

Have you tried the power of persuasion? Much cheaper, fewer ethical concerns, and doesn't require as of yet sophisticated and unavailable technology.

Or an authoritarian regime.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 12:32:24 AM »

The retention rate for cults is about 75%. That means roughly 25% of conservatives' offspring will defect to the forces of good.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 12:32:31 AM »

well I'm worried that white liberals are in the process of being extinct and that the foaming at the mouth types will soon outnumber them greater than 2:1.

you talking about this?
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/baby-gap/
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 12:33:49 AM »

you talking about this?
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/baby-gap/

That might have been it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 12:39:54 AM »

Right. What I said about the power of persuasion. That's the exact opposite of what I suggested. It's exceedingly unhelpful.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 12:48:33 AM »

Right. What I said about the power of persuasion. That's the exact opposite of what I suggested. It's exceedingly unhelpful.

I know. Tongue  I just wanted freepcrusher to realize it would take something like an authoritarian regime for such a ridiculous idea to be carried out.

(That, or just hardline partisan parents, of course.)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 08:25:08 AM »

Those subsidies are available to liberals too. The lack of liberal babies goes much deeper than tax breaks. It has much more to do with the fact that most white liberals value lattes and the theatre more than babies. Until that changes, changes to the tax code won`t do much to level the playing field.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »

Freepcrusher posts something ridiculous. DC al fine tries to find out if he can match him. I like this thread.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »

I mean its not like liberals go out and get a bunch of abortions. The abortion rate is probably just stabilizing after falling by like 20 or 30 some odd percent. It could simply be a function of rural working class and poverty whites either not knowing how to use a condom when they are 16 or are so ashamed about having sex, that they don't go out to buy condoms out of fear that their dad will beat them or that they will be banned from church.

There's just fewer teen pregnancies amongst middle class and upper middle class urban whites than they are working and poverty rural and exurban whites. Beyond that, it could be there are fewer planned births in urban areas simply because though they make maybe twice as much in Chicago as they do in Muncie, it costs three times as much to raise a child to maturity...and that goes to the reason they vote Democrat in the first place.

So the only thing I need to say is that Republicans probably have more kids because they can afford to even though they might not make more money. I mean, even Catholic illegals have stopped having kids in the last couple of years.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »

I mean its not like liberals go out and get a bunch of abortions. The abortion rate is probably just stabilizing after falling by like 20 or 30 some odd percent. It could simply be a function of rural working class and poverty whites either not knowing how to use a condom when they are 16 or are so ashamed about having sex, that they don't go out to buy condoms out of fear that their dad will beat them or that they will be banned from church.

There's just fewer teen pregnancies amongst middle class and upper middle class urban whites than they are working and poverty rural and exurban whites. Beyond that, it could be there are fewer planned births in urban areas simply because though they make maybe twice as much in Chicago as they do in Muncie, it costs three times as much to raise a child to maturity...and that goes to the reason they vote Democrat in the first place.

So the only thing I need to say is that Republicans probably have more kids because they can afford to even though they might not make more money. I mean, even Catholic illegals have stopped having kids in the last couple of years.

well what do you think the best way to make the COL in Texas the same as in California?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »

Derp thread.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »

Sure, you could influence behavior by changing the genes of the next generation, but you don't really need to.

Political outlook is not determined simply by genes. While behavior does have a genetic component, it is not the sole determining factor. The environment in which you are raised - parents, peers, location, etc. - has a significant affect because it changes the experiences that mole you as well as your perspective on the world.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 01:58:36 PM »

If we were going to influence behavior through genes, it would be better to increase empathy to the point where we don't really need much government to look after the environment and the poor.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »

Could someone please post some evidence that white liberals have significantly fewer children than white conservatives? It's like this entire board is consumed with binary anecdotes where all liberals live like the cast of Friends and all conservatives are like the Duggars and the Santorums (or is the plural Santora?).
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 04:00:31 PM »

Who cares if white liberals are "going extinct" (a highly dubious claim as it is, lol)

By that, I mean what about black, Latino, and Asian liberals? Why get worried about white people? Seems kinda racist to me.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 04:12:43 PM »

Hasn't freepcrusher already made it clear he doesn't care much for minorities?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies