Travesty: Abhisit Vejjajiva charged with 'murder'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:17:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Travesty: Abhisit Vejjajiva charged with 'murder'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Travesty: Abhisit Vejjajiva charged with 'murder'  (Read 8673 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2012, 07:06:06 PM »
« edited: December 10, 2012, 07:49:50 PM by opebo »

Abhisit Vejjajiva, much missed Thai Democrat prime minister who cleared the streets of Bangkok of red mobs, has been charged with 'murder' by the Red government of Thaksin.

Sickening.  One can only hope...

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:09:10 PM »

Not surprising that Thaksin's crew would trump up charges against political opponents.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:22:07 PM »

Not surprising that Thaksin's crew would trump up charges against political opponents.

Who does he think he is?  Putin?  Chavez?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:32:39 PM »

Yingluck. The Prime Minister's given name is Yingluck.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 07:48:47 PM »

Who are you critiquing here?  BRTD did mention her:
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »

Abhisit Vejjajiva, much missed Thai Democrat prime minister who cleared the streets of Bangkok of red mobs, has been charged with 'murder' by the Red government of Thaksin!.

Sickening.  One can only hope...

I am a bit surprised you like this guy. I know he stabilized and improved the economy, but you don't seems to be the kind of person that rewards politicians for making capitalism work. Smiley
His record regarding human rights and freedom of the press was pretty bad and he can hardly be described as a leftist or champion of the little guy. His governmet was less corrupt than Thaksins, but thats not saying much.
So do you simply consider him less horrible than Thaksin & Co. or do you actually like him?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 07:56:09 PM »

I am a bit surprised you like this guy. I know he stabilized and improved the economy, but you don't seems to be the kind of person that rewards politicians for making capitalism work. Smiley
His record regarding human rights and freedom of the press was pretty bad and he can hardly be described as a leftist or champion of the little guy. His governmet was less corrupt than Thaksins, but thats not saying much.
So do you simply consider him less horrible than Thaksin & Co. or do you actually like him?

He and his party (and more importantly the ancien régime which lies behind them - after all the Democrats are are but a mask with beautiful suits and Oxford English) are famously laissez-faire about the sex business and all manner of non-political personal freedoms.  In other words, they are Tradition.

Like I always say - give me one remote disinterested potentate a thousand kilometers away rather than a million little dictators right next door.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »

Who does he think he is?  Putin?  Chavez?

Thank fully he's not that powerful.  As Nathin rightly points out above, he's only running the country by remote control through his sister 'Yingluck', and after all the fact that he still can't come back is testimony to the lingering countervailing power of that delicate and ancient institution.. a relic of an earlier time in the West, but still existing here.  We're probably seeing its last days upon the earth - after all its physical emblem has literally lived in a hospital for half-a-decade.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 08:39:35 PM »

Lol. Between monarchist corrupt bastards and democratically elected populist corrupt bastards the latter is preferable. Sorry opie
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »

Who are you critiquing here?  BRTD did mention her:

It's hard to maintain simultaneously the belief that Yingluck lacks power of her own and the belief, which I seem to recall you've articulated in the past, that she, being a woman, is out to oppress the poor white men living in Thailand by taking away their right to buy Thai women's bodies, but on further reflection I'm sure you manage just fine.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »

I'm not saying she lacks any power of her own, just that she is unquestionably part of the group that's hard to describe as anything other than "Thaksin's crew" just because the party they run as keeps changing their name.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »

I'm not saying she lacks any power of her own, just that she is unquestionably part of the group that's hard to describe as anything other than "Thaksin's crew" just because the party they run as keeps changing their name.

'The Reds' doesn't work in this context?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »

Between monarchist corrupt bastards and democratically elected populist corrupt bastards the latter is preferable.
^This
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 10:23:41 PM »

Between monarchist corrupt bastards and democratically elected populist corrupt bastards the latter is preferable.
^This
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 01:29:39 PM »

^This

Not so, naives.  Democracy is worse, as I explained quite clearly above:

Like I always say - give me one remote disinterested potentate a thousand kilometers away rather than a million little dictators right next door.

It's hard to maintain simultaneously the belief that Yingluck lacks power of her own and the belief, which I seem to recall you've articulated in the past, that she, being a woman, is out to oppress the poor white men living in Thailand by taking away their right to buy Thai women's bodies, but on further reflection I'm sure you manage just fine.

Her power comes entirely from her brother, brother.  As does her social conservatism - which is a direct pandering to the people (who always love authoritarianism and hate to see anyone have any fun, in any country).

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 01:35:46 PM »

Lol. Between monarchist corrupt bastards and democratically elected populist corrupt bastards the latter is preferable. Sorry opie

It's really kind of unfair to argue with opebo on this point because even if he did agree with you he can't exactly say so, Thai law being what it is.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »

Her power comes entirely from her brother, brother.  As does her social conservatism - which is a direct pandering to the people (who always love authoritarianism and hate to see anyone have any fun, in any country).

I think both Shinawatra siblings are, for all their other faults, smart enough to know that one can find ways make one's own fun if buying access to people's bodies ceases to be an option.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »

It's really kind of unfair to argue with opebo on this point because even if he did agree with you he can't exactly say so, Thai law being what it is.

You dare mention this, a moderator? Straight to the Irony Thingie.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 05:46:32 PM »

I think both Shinawatra siblings are, for all their other faults, smart enough to know that one can find ways make one's own fun if buying access to people's bodies ceases to be an option.

Good lord man, if you think any such laws apply to rich people, you're more naive than I thought!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 05:53:34 PM »

Good lord man, if you think any such laws apply to rich people, you're more naive than I thought!

Of course they don't apply to rich people. That's the problem and that's always been the problem, a principle with which I'm sure you can agree even if we will never see eye to eye on the particular issue under discussion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »

Of course they don't apply to rich people. That's the problem and that's always been the problem, a principle with which I'm sure you can agree even if we will never see eye to eye on the particular issue under discussion.

No, the problem is the existence of such laws, Nathan, not the fact that some people find a way around them.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »

No, the problem is the existence of such laws, Nathan, not the fact that some people find a way around them.

True. Ideally laws against selling sex should be considerably more forgiving, and laws against buying it commensurately sterner, than what I'm given to understand most countries actually have.

The worst approach, which is unsurprisingly the one you appear to prefer due to your own concupiscent selfishness (or selfish concupiscence, it's all the same), is the one taken by the countries in blue on this map. The ones in green often have more sensible approaches than the ones in red, of course, but some variant of the principle behind red would of course be ideal.

I also love how Nevada's laws are so twisted it has to be parsed by county.
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 06:59:04 PM »

Horrible news Sad
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 07:50:46 PM »

The worst approach, which is unsurprisingly the one you appear to prefer due to your own concupiscent selfishness (or selfish concupiscence, it's all the same), is the one taken by the countries in blue on this map.

What's wrong with banning organized (ie, exploited) prostitution?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »

^This

Not so, naives.  Democracy is worse for rich white foreign men, as I explained quite clearly above:
FTFY
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies