LA and NC 2014 Congressional Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:14:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  LA and NC 2014 Congressional Races
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 82
Author Topic: LA and NC 2014 Congressional Races  (Read 215527 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: June 18, 2013, 08:31:10 AM »

PPP NC poll out later today will have Foxx in the lead. Apparently she's considering it, but hopefully she stays out.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #376 on: June 18, 2013, 08:54:05 AM »

At this point, I would almost see her as an improvement over Tillis, which says a lot about Tillis.

I think that making significant dents in the R supermajority will be hard in a midterm year, but if Hagan wins, it could help some of the more vulnerable Ds.

PPP is showing that the Rs are really unpopular but the state Democratic party really needs to step up in making its case, too.

What is important here is to minimize the midterm drop-off among Democrats and protect Hagan and other vulnerable Democrats.

It's also very important to slowly cut into the R supermajority just in time for the governor race in 2016.

The reason that the Tar Heels voted for the North Carolina Republicans is not because the people like them, but rather because North Carolina Democratic Party is plaque by scandals and imploded.

Tar Heels will vote for North Carolina Democrats again when present themselves as credible alternatives.

Yes, but they also have to distance themselves from the national party to some extent. A candidate like Heath Shuler could probably steal the majority of my family at this point. Obama, Obamacare and Amnesty are going to keep them voting Republican otherwise, regardless of how much they despise the GOP state government at this point.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #377 on: June 18, 2013, 10:53:22 AM »

Here's the full PPP NC poll: 36% of Pub voters are undecided, Foxx leads Berger 23/11. In matchups Hagan leads Tillis 45/40, Brannon at 44/40, and Cain 46/38. She's at 44/42 approval.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #378 on: June 18, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »

I think that making significant dents in the R supermajority will be hard in a midterm year, but if Hagan wins, it could help some of the more vulnerable Ds.

PPP is showing that the Rs are really unpopular but the state Democratic party really needs to step up in making its case, too.

What is important here is to minimize the midterm drop-off among Democrats and protect Hagan and other vulnerable Democrats.

It's also very important to slowly cut into the R supermajority just in time for the governor race in 2016.

The reason that the Tar Heels voted for the North Carolina Republicans is not because the people like them, but rather because North Carolina Democratic Party is plaque by scandals and imploded.

Tar Heels will vote for North Carolina Democrats again when present themselves as credible alternatives.

NO! Please do not refer to all people who live in NC as "Tar Heels!" That is extremely offensive to UNC haters like me!
illegaloperation

« Reply #379 on: June 18, 2013, 12:50:13 PM »

At this point, I would almost see her as an improvement over Tillis, which says a lot about Tillis.

Yes, but they also have to distance themselves from the national party to some extent. A candidate like Heath Shuler could probably steal the majority of my family at this point. Obama, Obamacare and Amnesty are going to keep them voting Republican otherwise, regardless of how much they despise the GOP state government at this point.

Arguably, what North Carolina Democrats need is a Mark Warner.
illegaloperation

« Reply #380 on: June 18, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »

Who would be the best person for Hagan to run against?

I am guessing Tillis or Foxx.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #381 on: June 18, 2013, 08:25:09 PM »

Who would be the best person for Hagan to run against?

I am guessing Tillis or Foxx.

Tillis, Foxx, or a non-entity like Cain.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #382 on: June 19, 2013, 08:23:10 AM »

Tillis<Berger<Foxx<Cain<Berry<One of my List of Choices (Fetzer/Pendergraft/Myrick/Forest/Troxler).
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #383 on: June 19, 2013, 10:37:53 PM »

This Politico article sums up Senator Landrieu pretty well:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #384 on: June 20, 2013, 06:38:08 AM »

Congressman Howard Coble may be inching off the retirement watch this:

Good news, IMO.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #385 on: June 20, 2013, 05:33:38 PM »

The main reason is gerrymandering. In 2014, we'd at best reduce the supermajority to a majority.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #386 on: June 20, 2013, 07:03:36 PM »

There are actually vulnerable Democrats left in the legislature?  If Republicans hold two thirds of the seats there, Democrats must be down to black majority seats and white liberal areas in the Research Triangle and Asheville. 
illegaloperation

« Reply #387 on: June 20, 2013, 10:43:16 PM »

There are actually vulnerable Democrats left in the legislature?  If Republicans hold two thirds of the seats there, Democrats must be down to black majority seats and white liberal areas in the Research Triangle and Asheville. 

Miles, please look into this
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #388 on: June 20, 2013, 11:16:08 PM »

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one Senate seat, SD25, which was 57% Romney; Senator Gene McLaurin won his first term with 53% last year.

For the House, I can think of at least three:

- Rep. Paul Tine, who represents a district based in Hyde, Beaufort and Dare counties.
- Rep. William Brisson; his district is 56%-ish McCain and is based in Bladen and Sampson counties. He's voted with the Republicans on some budgetary things and is well-entrenched but still maybe vulnerable despite running unopposed last year.
- I forget the representative's name, but the Democrats narrowly held onto a district centered in Jackson county last year.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #389 on: June 20, 2013, 11:18:13 PM »

There are actually vulnerable Democrats left in the legislature?  If Republicans hold two thirds of the seats there, Democrats must be down to black majority seats and white liberal areas in the Research Triangle and Asheville.

Looking at the NC SoS site (http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/42923/114645/Web01/en/summary.html), the following Democrats won close elections:

State Senate:

25th district - Gene McLaurin beat the similarly-named Gene McIntyre 53.01-46.99

State HoR:

2nd district - The amusingly named W.A. "Winkie" Wilkins beat Timothy Karan 56.68-43.32

6th district - Paul Tine beat Mattie Lawson 50.56-49.44

44th district - Rick Glazier beat Richard D. Button 56.31-43.69

46th district - Ken Waddell beat 80's soap opera character Gaston "G.L." Pridgen 54.06-45.94

50th district - Valerie Foushee, who cannot be a real person, beat Rod Chaney 55.04-44.96

54th district -  Deb McManus beat Cathy Wright 56.10-43.10

119th district - Lovable homeless community mascot Joe Sam Queen beat Mike Clampitt 51.73-48.27

In addition, there were quite a few unopposed Democrats, but I am not sure if any/how many of them are vulnerable.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #390 on: June 20, 2013, 11:22:23 PM »

^ That.

I'm not used to being upstaged on this thread, but yeah.
illegaloperation

« Reply #391 on: June 20, 2013, 11:41:08 PM »

There are actually vulnerable Democrats left in the legislature?  If Republicans hold two thirds of the seats there, Democrats must be down to black majority seats and white liberal areas in the Research Triangle and Asheville.

Looking at the NC SoS site (http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/42923/114645/Web01/en/summary.html)

Wow. So many ~55% Republican districts. I wonder how vulnerable those are.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #392 on: June 21, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »

Not that I agree with McIntyre on this, but it probably plays well in the district:

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #393 on: June 21, 2013, 11:44:22 AM »

^ That.

No, say it ain't so! Tongue
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #394 on: June 21, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »

^ That.

No, say it ain't so! Tongue

Yikes...I was in a crabby mood last night.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #395 on: June 21, 2013, 12:20:51 PM »

That is nothing, find your way into the Atlasian Senate and then you'll know what being crabby is like. Evil
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #396 on: June 24, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »

Yankee, you are probably a kind of "moderate to conservative republican". So I would like to know, what's your opinion of Hagan, could you vote for her if the republican nominee is just horrible (Tillis,...)?

And Miles, how make you the maps, have you a software?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #397 on: June 24, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »

I use a mostly combination of DRA, MS Paint, Paine.NET and SnagIt Editor.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #398 on: June 24, 2013, 08:17:34 PM »

Yankee, you are probably a kind of "moderate to conservative republican". So I would like to know, what's your opinion of Hagan, could you vote for her if the republican nominee is just horrible (Tillis,...)?

Not if she were to vote for an immigration bill I deem to be too 1986ish (any path to citizenship/legalization w/o the Rand Paul amendment or something similar basically). Some of my family members may defect though since Tillis is the state legislature for all intents and purposes. I generally would like to see her lose, hence why I am so pissed about the crappy candidates running against her.
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #399 on: June 24, 2013, 11:03:02 PM »

Joe Sam Queen's district voted for Obama in 2008, and it was probably very close in 2012.  He shouldn't be in much trouble unless he's a weak candidate.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies