Quinnipiac: Americans want pot and same-sex marriage legalized
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:05:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Quinnipiac: Americans want pot and same-sex marriage legalized
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Quinnipiac: Americans want pot and same-sex marriage legalized  (Read 1159 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »

Pot more than SSM though:

Do you think that the use of marijuana should be made legal in the United States, or not?

51-44 YES

In general, do you support or oppose same-sex marriage?

48-46 SUPPORT

Trend (July 2008): 36-55

From November 28 - December 3, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,949 registered voters nationwide, with a margin of error of +/- 2.2 percentage points. Live interviewers call land lines and cell phones.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-centers/polling-institute/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=1820
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »

Glad I'm on the right side of history.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »

This is a pretty awesome America us Millennials are building. Our grandparents may be turning over in their graves, but considering how many of them were racist monsters, maybe that's for the best.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »

Of course pot is doing better. More people are going to smoke pot than get gay married. Voters are very selfish beings.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »

I really don't understand where the increased support for marijuana legalization is coming for (at least compared to something like gay marriage, which is based on secularization and other cultural changes), but I like it a lot.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 04:57:18 PM »

I'm surprised to see men more supportive of pot legalization than women.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 04:59:11 PM »

I really don't understand where the increased support for marijuana legalization is coming for (at least compared to something like gay marriage, which is based on secularization and other cultural changes), but I like it a lot.

It started from an higher floor, I think.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 05:00:57 PM »

Are you kidding?  Support for draconian social control is always overwhelmingly female - hence the advent of Prohibition right after the women got the vote (not to mention the witch hunt against prostitution).  

Back when only men voted you could freely use cocaine and marijuana, and there were brothels all over the place in ever good sized city.  Women support social control guys, and if you had ever been in a relationship with one you would not be the slightest bit surprised by this.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »

Are you kidding?  Support for draconian social control is always overwhelmingly female - hence the advent of Prohibition right after the women got the vote (not to mention the witch hunt against prostitution).  

Back when only men voted you could freely use cocaine and marijuana, and there were brothels all over the place in ever good sized city.  Women support social control guys, and if you had ever been in a relationship with one you would not be the slightest bit surprised by this.

But what about the War on Women? Wink
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 05:13:29 PM »

What? That's not surprising at all. Men smoke Marijuana at much higher rates than women, and the biggest opposition to Marijuana legalization among those under 55 comes from suburban moms. Even a lot of single women support legalization very tepidly.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »

I'm with Opebo on this one. Just think back to the last time a silly control freak idea was being debated by your school board or city council. Odds are the main backer was a woman. I remember a few years back when my city council was trying to ban backyard chicken coops... Roll Eyes
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 05:41:26 PM »

You've now slipped from analysis to making wild, sexist generalizations. All the most authoritarian ideologies were created by men. And if women are more frequently the face of campaigns to curb some vice, it's partially because they are assigned this role by our patriarchical gender norms- women are supposed to be caring and communal, and not enjoy individual liberties or be aggressive.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 06:53:52 PM »

Less women smoke (on a regular basis) than men. But the ones who do are generally pretty awesome people, way easier to hold a genuine conversation with.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 10:20:07 PM »

I'm not surprised by the gender gap, but am by how wide it is, especially considering with the gender gap with the parties. Makes you wonder just what the numbers are for Democratic men and Republican women.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »

The movement will keep on moving towards freedom, and this is good for our country.
Link
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »

You've now slipped from analysis to making wild, sexist generalizations.

Yeah its amazing how these threads take this direction time and time again unabatted but certain posters get cherrypicked because of "hatefulness" or whatever.

Are you kidding?  Support for draconian social control is always overwhelmingly female - hence the advent of Prohibition right after the women got the vote (not to mention the witch hunt against prostitution).

I'm really surprised at you.  For someone that screams on the internet about social justice you really are disregarding what women have been through in United States.  In the early part of the 20th century who do you think bore the brunt of the ills of alcohol?  If we as men showed a bit more restraint while consuming alcohol there is no way there would have been a temperance movement.  I enjoy a drink every so often but I know there are plenty of men who drink half their paycheck before going home and being abusive to their wife and children.  Read any medical text or journal article on the topic and it will tell you men abuse alcohol far more than women.  There is nothing wrong with use.  It's the abuse and then the subsequent abuse of the other sex that is the problem.

Women support social control guys, and if you had ever been in a relationship with one you would not be the slightest bit surprised by this.

WTF?!  I expect that kind of statement from the passport deprived juveniles on this forum.  But anyone that has a chance to wander the globe surely has encountered all kinds of women that are pretty relaxed about social issues.  My current girlfriend is Danish.  Compared to her I'm a fascist.  Previous girlfriend was Swedish.  I was astonished at how care free she was.  Prior to that a Dutch girl from Amsterdam.  You may be shocked but her attitude towards prostitution and marijuana was far more reasonable than the majority of my male acquaintances.  Shocking I know.  And from a woman of all things.  Actually she really didn't have any kind of attitude about it.  She thought about it about as much as she thought about water being wet.  She wasn't even aware it was supposed to be an issue.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »

Death to marijuana.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 11:43:13 PM »

recreational use of marijuana will not be made legal within our lifetime(s).
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »

I'm guessing you haven't heard of Colorado or Washington?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 12:09:41 AM »

This will be an issue to run on in 2016, if you want to keep the youth and minorities excited about Martin O'Malley.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 12:58:45 AM »

I'm guessing you haven't heard of Colorado or Washington?

I guess you haven't heard of the forthcoming federal invasion of Colorado and Washington.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 01:06:31 AM »

DEA has less than 5000 special agents. Even assuming they literally ignore all other 48 states in the meantime that's not even close to enough to arrest every pothead in those states. Plus is the federal court system going to want to deal with getting clogged up with cases of people getting high in their basements? I'm sure there might be some talk, but effectively enforcing this is literally impossible.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 02:03:22 AM »

BRTD, the point isn't about actually getting arrested for personal usage. I mean, were you ever afraid of being arrested for underage drinking? You'd have to be an idiot to get caught with a recreational amount of marijuana (say under 10 grams) in any Western country, regardless of their drug laws. The whole point of legalization is to facilitate the convenience of simply strolling into a store as opposed to the hassle of dealing with shady and piece of sh**t dealers. If the DEA closes down all the head shops there's absolutely no point in legalization. You're back to having to make a text and waiting around to pick up at a dealer's convenience. And that can be really lame - the situation in the Dutch provinces where the foreigner ban hasn't come into effect is far superior to that of other European countries and the United States.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 02:07:49 AM »

BRTD, the point isn't about actually getting arrested for personal usage. I mean, were you ever afraid of being arrested for underage drinking? You'd have to be an idiot to get caught with a recreational amount of marijuana (say under 10 grams) in any Western country, regardless of their drug laws. The whole point of legalization is to facilitate the convenience of simply strolling into a store as opposed to the hassle of dealing with shady and piece of sh**t dealers. If the DEA closes down all the head shops there's absolutely no point in legalization. You're back to having to make a text and waiting around to pick up at a dealer's convenience. And that can be really lame - the situation in the Dutch provinces where the foreigner ban hasn't come into effect is far superior to that of other European countries and the United States.
Are you trying to say that black people in the US are idiots?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 03:54:01 AM »

I'm really surprised at you.  For someone that screams on the internet about social justice you really are disregarding what women have been through in United States.  In the early part of the 20th century who do you think bore the brunt of the ills of alcohol?  If we as men showed a bit more restraint while consuming alcohol there is no way there would have been a temperance movement.  I enjoy a drink every so often but I know there are plenty of men who drink half their paycheck before going home and being abusive to their wife and children.  Read any medical text or journal article on the topic and it will tell you men abuse alcohol far more than women.  There is nothing wrong with use.  It's the abuse and then the subsequent abuse of the other sex that is the problem.

So?  The little ladies should avoid the men if they dislike their drinking, not try to control them.  

Women support social control guys, and if you had ever been in a relationship with one you would not be the slightest bit surprised by this.

WTF?!  I expect that kind of statement from the passport deprived juveniles on this forum.  But anyone that has a chance to wander the globe surely has encountered all kinds of women that are pretty relaxed about social issues.  My current girlfriend is Danish.  Compared to her I'm a fascist.  Previous girlfriend was Swedish.  I was astonished at how care free she was.  Prior to that a Dutch girl from Amsterdam.  You may be shocked but her attitude towards prostitution and marijuana was far more reasonable than the majority of my male acquaintances.  Shocking I know.  And from a woman of all things.  Actually she really didn't have any kind of attitude about it.  She thought about it about as much as she thought about water being wet.  She wasn't even aware it was supposed to be an issue.

Good lord, buddy, I didn't leave the US of A to go to some ultra expensive Scandinavian or Benelux places.  I left to go to cheap places.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies