Cory Booker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:45:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Cory Booker
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cory Booker  (Read 896 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2012, 04:15:33 PM »

Who the hell is Cory Booker?

OK, I checked the wiki. He's basically a middle city mayor who's doing a lot of media whoring whenever he gets a chance. Cool, dude definitively got a potential for future career but why on earth is he mentioned as a presidential candidate four years from now?

Seriously, I just don't get it.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »

-He's one of the few African American candidates that seem to have a decent chance (the other one is Deval Patrick).
-He will probably be a Senator or a Governor in 2014 (he's very popular)
- He's in the NYC market which brings a lot of publicity obviously
- He's a true progressive, probably a little too progressive for the country, but they said the same thing about the current president
- He does a lot of cool things that make him stand out in the world of politics: living on food stamps to make a point, inviting Newark citizens to his house when Jersey was hit by Sandy and several other things I can't recall.

I don't think he will run or that he has a chance if he does, but he's a name we should keep in mind for 2020 or 2024 (or even as a VP candidate in 2016).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »

Cory Booker would be a strong candidate in 2020, especially if he was a Senator in 2014. I think he would derail his career if he ran for Governor.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »

I could see him as a plausible 2020 or 2024 candidate if he manages to become a Senator and get a wife.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:47:18 PM »

Because he rescues babies and gets in Christie's way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHN0ZeS5c-4
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:02:41 PM »

Definitely not running in '16
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:10:43 PM »

-He's one of the few African American candidates that seem to have a decent chance (the other one is Deval Patrick).

Deval Patrick as 2016 candidate is another thing I really don't get.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Senator is more likely, given Lautenberg's age (88) and health (not so good), which doesn't make him likely to run for another term in 2014. Governorship is way more problematic, given Christie's strenght.

But if Booker is elected Senator or Governor in 2014, 2016 is just too early. Not enough time to start a campaign. Obama actually had two years in Senate before starting his bid in early 2007.

Getting elected and immediatelly starting campaign for higher office does't work well. Ask John Mandel, and it was a statewide affair.

Obama as the great progressive is a myth.

Look, I agree he have a potential, but not in 2016.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »

What don't you get about Patrick?  He's the Governor of Massachusetts and a rather successful.  If Cuomo is considered a potential candidate, why not Patrick?

Obama hasn't governed as a progressive, but when he was running for the nomination many were saying he's too liberal to win.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »

In seriousness, Booker's a more talented pol than almost the entire field of likely 2016 Democratic candidates.  That's why people talk about him.  He's a likely future presidential contender.  Though yeah, more for 2020 than for 2016.

But I'm not sure what you're complaining about, precisely.  Yes, people do tend to list him in the list of potential 2016ers, but usually only in the lists that include up to 15 or 20 names on the Democratic side.  Christie was also listed as a potential 2012 candidate in the leadup to that race.  So was Rubio, to a somewhat lesser extent.

What I find stranger is the name dropping of Julian Castro.  Booker at least has a clear path to statewide office some time this decade.  Castro faces a much tougher road, given the strong GOP tilt of Texas.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 01:22:18 PM »

Lautenberg's not retiring, if Booker wants that seat he'll have to primary him.  Lautenberg's made it clear that he intends to die in office.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »

Lautenberg's not retiring, if Booker wants that seat he'll have to primary him.  Lautenberg's made it clear that he intends to die in office.

That's a shame. In any case there's a non-negligible chance that will happens.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »

A great argument for term limits.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 05:58:39 PM »

I really think he's the strongest candidate for 2016 if he can just get some experience over the next four years.

IMO Obama would be well served to add him to the cabinet and try to pump him as an heir.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 06:48:13 PM »

Link?  Source?  This is the first I've heard this.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »

Link?  Source?  This is the first I've heard this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_New_Jersey
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 07:06:13 PM »

Lautenberg's not retiring, if Booker wants that seat he'll have to primary him.  Lautenberg's made it clear that he intends to die in office.

Link?  Source?  This is the first I've heard this.

This is news to me as well -assuming it isn't just a rumor (and King, I don't know what you're trying to prove -so spell it out plainly).  
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 02:06:18 AM »

Didn't Lautenberg retire once before, then run for office again? I think he stays in the Senate until death or defeat
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 02:19:03 AM »

Didn't Lautenberg retire once before, then run for office again? I think he stays in the Senate until death or defeat

Yes, retired in 2000 after three terms but ran again in 2004 after Torricelli's withdrawal. If not for this break, he'd be currently the 9th most senior Senator, instead of 46th.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies