Toronto 2013 by-election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:45:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Toronto 2013 by-election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Toronto 2013 by-election  (Read 2090 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »

Looks like it's headed that way.  The deposed Rob Ford wants it, the Left wants it, people like Karen Stintz want it...

My feeling is Olivia Chow will end up running and the left vote will coalesce behind her.  Polls show her beating Ford one on one and even with other progressive candidates running.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »

I'd vote Ford, but this is Chow's for the taking. Who would be the progressive candidate if Chow stays in parliament?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:10:48 PM »

Adam Vaughan or Shelley Carroll.

Adam Vaughan has more name recognition and polls higher.  He's certainly one of the strongest critics of Ford.  On the other hand, he could be more polarizing and seen as too "downtown."

Shelley Carroll is a card-carrying Liberal from Don Mills who basically votes like an NDPer.  However she seems to lack name recognition and polls poorly.

Another possibility - though less likely to run - is Joe Mihevc.  He is a highly respected across the spectrum and I think could have appeal in both the core and in the suburbs.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »

Does Smitherman want to try again?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:18:58 PM »

Hopefully not.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »

Smitherman would be lucky to get 10% of the vote.  And this time he'd probably take more from the center-right of the spectrum.
adma
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »

Come to think of it, don't discount a council (or non-council a la John Tory) centre-righter, either--maybe not Stintz, but someone capable of putting a foot in Ford's door when it comes to galvanizing a base that finds Chow et al too leftish...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »

If Ford is as hated as our last crazy right wing mayor, don't discount a challenge from the right. Even more than one. In 2010, we had a couple of right wing challengers to Mayor O'Brien, and in the end the pragmatic centrist won.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »

It's hard to see the right want to cede the field to Ford.  On the other hand, he won't be leaving the race.

My feeling is there is a 60% likelihood of Olivia Chow entering and a 15% likelihood for John Tory.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:12:32 AM »

Olivia Chow would be so awesome, but like I've said before, I'd miss the hell out of her in Parliament.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 01:43:21 PM »

Forum should be releasing a poll soon enough. I got a call last night. Voted for Chow in every matchup she was in (and they had a lot of matchups). Also relayed my deep dissatisfaction with the TTC. Smiley
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 02:11:09 PM »

If Chow wins mayoral job, would NDP nominate her stepson Michael Layton for Trinity-Spadina federal riding? He's city councillor for the ward.
DL
Canada

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 06:30:36 PM »

If Chow wins mayoral job, would NDP nominate her stepson Michael Layton for Trinity-Spadina federal riding? He's city councillor for the ward.

It is certainly possible, but I get the impression Layton Jr. wants to build a career in municipal politics and is only two years into his first term...there would be a gigantic list of big names who live in or near Trinity-Spadina who could be potential NDP candidates. Anyone from David Miller to Adam van Koeverden to Naomi Klein to Sarah Polley to Sarah Harmer to...well let's just say the mind boggles at the possibilities...
adma
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »

Or, of course, Brian Topp, were he not committed to a Montreal seat first.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »

It is certainly possible, but I get the impression Layton Jr. wants to build a career in municipal politics and is only two years into his first term...there would be a gigantic list of big names who live in or near Trinity-Spadina who could be potential NDP candidates. Anyone from David Miller to Adam van Koeverden to Naomi Klein to Sarah Polley to Sarah Harmer to...well let's just say the mind boggles at the possibilities...

Van Koeverden is an NDPer? Nice.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 11:02:50 PM »

Awful. NDP doesn't need bigots.
DL
Canada

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 01:37:13 AM »

I don't know for sure if he's NDP, but his picture is on the cover of the calendar Olivia Chow mailed to all constituents and he seems to be friendly with Mike Layton.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 09:44:55 AM »

What did he say?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »

What did he say?

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/adam-van-koeverden-formally-apologize-tweeting-f-bomb-160753864.html
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »

What did he say?

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/adam-van-koeverden-formally-apologize-tweeting-f-bomb-160753864.html

I had no idea how sectarian university football was. I actually usually cheer for Laval, myself, since my alma matter doesn't have a team at the moment.

Pretty disgusting; I for one am really happy to see how football has become really popular in Quebec. Go Als!
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »

Wait, what? Vulgarly insulting an opposing football team makes one a bigot?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »

Oh, please, we know than the real problem at Laval is than they are speaking French, not English.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 07:52:11 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2012, 09:26:55 PM by The Head Beagle »

Oh, please, we know than the real problem at Laval is than they are speaking French, not English.

Here is the offending tweet:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Look, these comments are obviously kind of stupid and I have no particular interest in defending this guy. I certainly don't think he should be the NDP candidate for Trinity-Spadina. But if you don't think that every word here would have been easily directed at an Anglophone opponent, you're unfamiliar with the idiotic loutish culture of many football fans. Stuff like this gets shouted about the Nebraska Cornhuskers at Camp Randall all the time.

(obviously not ** in the original)
DL
Canada

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 10:41:37 PM »

I think the problem with Laval was that they were playing against his favourite team.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 12:13:20 AM »

I think the problem with Laval was that they were playing against his favourite team.

Yeah; the tweets don't seem to be anti-French at all.

Anyways, the NDP rarely nominates "famous" people, and I can't think of them ever running a (famous) athlete of any kind. The hockey players, football players and curlers of the country run for other parties. Even Ross Rebagliatti was supposed to run for the Liberals. Hell, even the Greens have Larocque.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies