What type of demographic is Andrew Cuomo going to get support from?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:41:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What type of demographic is Andrew Cuomo going to get support from?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What type of demographic is Andrew Cuomo going to get support from?  (Read 935 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:08:41 AM »

He seems like a lousy candidate to me because he has no base. Democratic primaries are one of the few areas where unions still have influence (not to mention they play a big role in organization which is even more important in primaries) and they obviously aren't going to back him. Some people seem to think he'd be liked amongst West Coast liberal types, but they are usually big environmentalists who aren't going to go for the guy who supported legalizing fracking. Party machines and their activists aren't going to flock to a guy who all but said he'd rather have the Republicans control the Senate in his state. Minorities have no real reason to be thrilled with him. On paper he might be an even better candidate for the youth vote than Obama due to his positions on gay marriage and pot, but we all know you can't rely on just that to win an election, and his record on education and tuition certainly could put a real damper on that. So who the hell is going to prop up the guy? The only group I can see that he'd have significant appeal to is gays, but that's not going to be enough to win a nomination.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 02:12:57 AM »

He'll have the same demographic that Romney relied on in the 2012 primaries: People easily swayed by tens of millions of dollars worth of ads.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 02:15:45 AM »

He'll have the same demographic that Romney relied on in the 2012 primaries: People easily swayed by tens of millions of dollars worth of ads.

But, as I said elsewhere, his opponents won't be underfunded jokes and has-beens like Santorum and Gingrich.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 02:18:50 AM »

A lot of the people who'd really dig Cuomo vote in Republican primaries these days.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:23:59 AM »

Actually Romney's demographic was more "people who don't want to vote for Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich or Ron Paul". Even with all his money there's a reason this is obviously an Onion article. All of Romney's money still failed to get anyone besides Politico and Winfield truly excited about him.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 02:25:36 AM »

Independents can vote in most Democratic primaries, I do believe. The caucuses would be hard for him though. He would likely get the Obama vote from the 2008 primaries minus blacks. I agree it's not a very strong coalition. But besides Hillary, who else do the Democrats have? If Hillary wants to run, obviously the nomination is hers. Beyond that, I don't see why Cuomo wouldn't have a great chance at winning.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 02:28:33 AM »

Indies mainly, also youth elements who don't really care about economic issues and those who are kinda apathetic and can be swayed by cash.

It's probably not enough to win the election though. Obama's coalition isn't wise - he doesn't have his appeal to blacks or progressives.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 02:30:35 AM »

Indies mainly, also youth elements who don't really care about economic issues and those who are kinda apathetic and can be swayed by cash.

It's probably not enough to win the election though. Obama's coalition isn't wise - he doesn't have his appeal to blacks or progressives.

Yeah, but who could beat Cuomo besides Hillary? I don't think the Democrats have a strong field.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 07:11:31 AM »

Yeah, but who could beat Cuomo besides Hillary? I don't think the Democrats have a strong field.
Schweitzer, Gillibrand, Biden. If the Liberals can agree on supporting one candidate they win.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »

Those soccer moms who left the GOP in 1992.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 08:47:06 AM »

Journalists and political insiders.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 09:19:14 AM »

The affluent white centrists (socially progressive, economically neoliberal) we should have kicked out of the party years ago.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »

You think? He is pretty boring and cagey.

Then again if Tim Pawlenty caught their imagination...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 11:22:21 AM »

The affluent white centrists (socially progressive, economically neoliberal) we should have kicked out of the party years ago.

Meaning the Democratic party loses.....
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 11:24:03 AM »

Schweitzer, Gillibrand, Biden. If the Liberals can agree on supporting one candidate they win.

Biden surely, but I doubt he runs. If he does, the field will likely clear for him. Gillibrand also likely won't run. Schweitzer...I doubt he will run but even if he does I think Cuomo wins.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »

You think? He is pretty boring and cagey.

Then again if Tim Pawlenty caught their imagination...
See also Snowstalker's post. This is the demographic almost all of them belong to.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 03:14:50 AM »

I would be open to supporting Cuomo in 2016 if John Hickenlooper doesn't run.

I doubt I will vote in the Republican primary next time unless Jon Huntsman runs again, but that's seeming unlikely.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »

Hopefully he will not do well with any demographic.  I wouldn't trust Cuomo as dogcatcher, let alone President.  He has the lean and hungry look.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies