Obama to GOP: I’m done negotiating with myself
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:02:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to GOP: I’m done negotiating with myself
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama to GOP: I’m done negotiating with myself  (Read 527 times)
technical support
thrillr1111
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:59:35 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/11/29/obama-to-gop-i-wont-negotiate-with-myself/

Republican aides are circulating their summary of the White House’s opening bid on the fiscal cliff. They’re circulating it because they believe it fleshes out Speaker John Boehner’s complaint that “the White House has to get serious.” Above all, they’re circulating it because the president isn’t offering them anything in his opening bid. “How did it take them three weeks (and two days) to offer nothing but President Obama’s budget?” A GOP leadership aide asked me rhetorically.
We’re seeing two things here. One is that the negotiations aren’t going well. When one side begins leaking the other side’s proposals, that’s typically a bad sign. The other is that Republicans are frustrated at the new Obama they’re facing: The Obama who refuses to negotiate with himself.
technical support
thrillr1111
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/11/29/obama-to-gop-i-wont-negotiate-with-myself/

Republican aides are circulating their summary of the White House’s opening bid on the fiscal cliff. They’re circulating it because they believe it fleshes out Speaker John Boehner’s complaint that “the White House has to get serious.” Above all, they’re circulating it because the president isn’t offering them anything in his opening bid. “How did it take them three weeks (and two days) to offer nothing but President Obama’s budget?” A GOP leadership aide asked me rhetorically.
We’re seeing two things here. One is that the negotiations aren’t going well. When one side begins leaking the other side’s proposals, that’s typically a bad sign. The other is that Republicans are frustrated at the new Obama they’re facing: The Obama who refuses to negotiate with himself.

This is exactly why Obama was reelected. To rebuild the middle class and pull the top 5% back down to earth.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:12:10 PM »

Republicans want Obama to propose both the tax increase and the entitlement cuts. That doesn't make sense. Republicans should come to the table with the entitlement and other spending cuts they want, and Obama should propose the tax increases he wants.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 12:10:10 AM »

Republicans have no negotiating power here.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:32:09 AM »

It's about time the White House learned how to properly negotiate instead of constant pre-compromising. I only wish this had been the case from the start, but definitely better late than never.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 02:49:07 AM »

It's about time the White House learned how to properly negotiate instead of constant pre-compromising. I only wish this had been the case from the start, but definitely better late than never.
Word.

I wonder if Obama could actually succeed at getting the National Infrastructure Bank, and abolishing the debt ceiling? Perhaps the NIB, which is some short-term spending costs that would balance-out the permanent spending cuts.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 05:06:50 AM »

Good news that his pre-capitulation was somewhat limited. Hopefully he realizes that a bad bill (i.e., almost anything House Republicans will likely pass) is worse than no bill at all.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »

Republicans want Obama to propose both the tax increase and the entitlement cuts. That doesn't make sense. Republicans should come to the table with the entitlement and other spending cuts they want, and Obama should propose the tax increases he wants.

I think the idea is to have both parties take ownership of entitlement cuts. Everyone knows they are necessary. That is why the negotiations are behind closed doors - the real ones, not the media soundbite negotiations which is just posturing.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 03:24:22 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2012, 03:26:06 PM by Sbane »

I think the idea is to have both parties take ownership of entitlement cuts. Everyone knows they are necessary. That is why the negotiations are behind closed doors - the real ones, not the media soundbite negotiations which is just posturing.

So why aren't the Republicans proposing tax hikes? In the end both parties will have to take ownership of both the tax hikes and the entitlement cuts. I don't think Republicans actually want to lay down on paper what they mean by entitlement cuts....because it sounds a lot like welfare cuts to certain people. And the Republicans would prefer if those people would continue to believe that.

The Democrats should put down what they want as tax hikes, which they have and they are not going to get it imo, and the Republicans should lay down their position on entitlement cuts (aka medicare and social security cuts). Neither party will get what they want of course, but the Republicans should at least be on the record stating what they want. They shouldn't get to run on opposing tax hikes AND medicare/social security cuts (while still running on opposing entitlements because as you know, welfare is like half the budget or whatever Roll Eyes )

I have to say that a few Republicans have come out with their own plans, like Senator Bob Corker and I appreciate that. I don't know how much savings will come from that, but it's better than nothing. Both parties should come out with what they want and then negotiations can proceed from there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies